PDA

View Full Version : Non-eircom League sides

Pages : [1] 2

HarpoJoyce
09/10/2008, 5:45 PM
During the winter season, we appear to have a few teams (and associate clubs) competing in the Leinster Senior League and cup competitions.

The biggest news during the summer was our LSL Sun major side was promoted to the bottom division at Intermediate level. Senior 1B
http://www.lsl.ie/viewResults-0809a.aspx
I still don't know why we got promoted in third place behind Postal Utd. and Glenville FC. However, we've excepted the challenge. Also, Postal Utd. tore up the Major Division last year and look to be going great this year. Hopefully it is a sign that consolidation at least is within our gasp as it should be a big step.
(We may be starting earlier than usually to facilitate our cup campaigns)
We appear to have been given permission to delay or start to our league season. We started with a loss to Postal and a close scoreline defeat against Ballyfermot Utd.

Sat Major 1B
They havn't started their league season yet.
http://www.lsl.ie/viewResults-0809a.aspx

Cup Competitions;
Intermediate Cup.
UCD received a bye for the 1st round and will wait on the draw for the second.
Pegaus beat Garda FC 4-0 at home last weekend and Mount Merrion went through aswell.

HarpoJoyce
27/10/2008, 11:49 PM
Senior 1B Intermediate side
Moore Cup 2nd rd.

UCD beat Parkvilla FC of Navan 1-0 at the weekend.
http://www.lsl.ie/showfixturescaug27.aspx?cupid=4
It puts them into the last 8. (Postal Utd. and St. Patricks CYFC appear to have byes into the quarters already.)

Moore Cup is the cup competition for the bottom two divisions in Leinster so a good indicator odf how they are doing against similar strenght sides.

I think the team need all the match pratice they can get as they play in the 2nd round of the Intermediate Cup next weekend against a strong looking Tymon Celtic. UCD received a bye in the first round.

HarpoJoyce
02/11/2008, 3:42 PM
Heard a rumour from people who should know at the 'A' Championship game that UCD won their Intermediate Cup 2nd Rd. game 3-1 against a relatively strong Tymon Celtic.

pineapple stu
02/11/2008, 7:53 PM
The rumours are true. O'Connor (2) and Whelan.

HarpoJoyce
01/12/2008, 7:24 PM
We play the third rd. of FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup next Friday against Drumcondra who are doing well in the Division above UCD. Drums are starting to hit form and are in third place after alternating win/draws for the past 6 weeks.

Drumcondra AFC : UCD
Morton Stadium, Santry.
Friday Dec. 05th, 19:45.
(I understand no extra time.)

I think the players would appreciate it if there was a vocal support from UCD there. It's a credit to the team that the put themselves into the position they have, including regular promotions. This is a grand old Stadium in Dublin's Sports history and UCD can be a part of it.
UCD AFC last played there versus shamrock rovers, at least one 0-0 took place.

(To appreciate how big the game is. Pegasus FC are eligible for this competition every year and they occasionally get this far.)

The league will close down in mid- December so this is the biggest game for them before the New Year.

HarpoJoyce
05/12/2008, 9:38 PM
Drums AFC 0:2 UCD (Paul O'Connor 2)

This was an even enough game. UCD got a goal from a well worked move and Paul O'Connor finished with a shot from the edge of the box on 30 minutes. Second goal was a break-away against the run of play and O'Connor's shot went in off the under-side of the crossbar.

John Grace, 43 years old, Ex Limerick (City?) 'keeper was in good form. One moment, he got in ahead on the on-rushing striker and toe poked the ball away. Followed after the ball and after it had crossed the touchline kicked the ball well away. He was returning to goal and UCD took a quick free-kick with Grace out of position. The ball eventually landed in Grace's arms, "Who gave him the ball?" "Who gave him the ball?".

Always liked the Billy Morton Stadium, that's going to continue. I understand that only four clubs from the Intermediate League are going to qualify for the FAI Cup, in case anyone may be wondering.
UCD are now in the last sixteen, round four.

They should have one more league game next weekend before the Christmas break. And may start again first week in January.
Evening Herald, Mondays give good cover to the LSL. And should give the following weeks fixtures, time and venue too. Aertel pg 236 for fixtures too.
Irish Times isn't the best paper of record for this.

Den Perry
08/12/2008, 3:10 PM
I played a few gamrs for that side back in the nineties, - good to see them doing well. What will happen if they qualify for the FAI Senior cup? surely UCD will not be permitted to have two sides in the competition?

drummerboy
08/12/2008, 3:40 PM
I was in Morton Stadium on Friday night and have to say I was really impressed by UCD. They passed the ball really well and were the better team against a well fancied Drums team. The no 7 was really impressive and was a danger every time he got the ball. Just wondering if any of these lads on on soccer scholarships because I'm sure some could easily play at a higher level than intermediate.

pineapple stu
08/12/2008, 3:43 PM
The Inters would be our third team (League team, A Team, Inters, Inters eile and Freshers/U20s team). It's certainly possible for players to come from the Inters up to the first team, but I wouldn't have thought too many would do so. New scholarship players with an eye on the first team would generally go straight into the reserves, if not the starting XI.

A couple of our players (Ronan Finn in particular) who are in UCD often line out for some of the collegiate sides during the off season, but I don't think they'd have played for the Inters.

Amazing result though when you consider I played half an hour for that team about ten years ago! :cool:

HarpoJoyce
08/12/2008, 4:08 PM
I was in Morton Stadium on Friday night and have to say I was really impressed by UCD. They passed the ball really well and were the better team against a well fancied Drums team. The no 7 was really impressive and was a danger every time he got the ball. Just wondering if any of these lads on on soccer scholarships because I'm sure some could easily play at a higher level than intermediate.

That's very nice of you drummerboy. Most of our attacks did come from the right wing. But Drumcondra had a spell in the second half where they could have carved out an equaliser. Also, Gary Howlett the Drums manager made some early (second half) substitutions so alot of players were suffereing by the end. But Drums still kept it going til the end.

Of interest to UCD fans, one of the Drums player's is the son of Derek Swan. But he was suspended for this game so another 'swaninho' didn't play against UCD.

pineapple stu
08/12/2008, 4:09 PM
Was there a lad playing for Drumcondra by the name of Paul McNally?

pineapple stu
08/12/2008, 4:26 PM
I understand that only four clubs from the Intermediate League are going to qualify for the FAI Cup, in case anyone may be wondering.
UCD are now in the last sixteen, round four.
Maccer has confirmed that we are now in the First Round proper of the FAI Cup. This was expanded last year, with the LoI sides now starting in round 3. Your source (little Sherro, I believe) was probably quoting the old criterion?

A rather sensational achievement, I think it has to be said!

HarpoJoyce
08/12/2008, 4:36 PM
Maccer has confirmed that we are now in the First Round proper of the FAI Cup. This was expanded last year, with the LoI sides now starting in round 3. Your source (little Sherro, I believe) was probably quoting the old criterion?

A rather sensational achievement, I think it has to be said!

If that is the case then I misunderstood my source.
We were discussing the eircom/League of Ireland clubs entry into the FAI cup and both the first and third rounds. Also it was mentioned that some LSL clubs had already qualified, Bangor Celtic was mentioned. I don't know how they were already eligible.
Maybe he meant two rounds more, UCD may meet UCD.

No on this occasion I get the bullet. Shoot the messenger.

After Edit:
You keep writing 'sensational' 'amazing' 'excellent'. Is Anto Murphy coming back? or are you hinting at our new shirt sponsor? I'll keep quiet.

Schumi
08/12/2008, 5:24 PM
The last 16 of the Intermediate Cup and last 4 of the Junior Cup used to qualify for the 1st round of the FAI Senior Cup, they'd play the first round and the 10 winners would join the 22 League of Ireland teams in the second round.

Last year, as far as I can see from the league website (http://eircomloi.ie/other-competitions/fai-cup/2008-season/fixtures/) four of the intermediate & junior teams played in the first round with the two winners, the rest of the intermediate & junior teams and Tullamore and Salthill from the A Championship in the second round and the competition went on like previous years with round numbers being one higher.

I don't know how the four teams were chosen to be in the first round, probably just a draw. If this is the same procedure for next season, just one win could have the team up against LOI opposition.

drummerboy
09/12/2008, 9:21 AM
Was there a lad playing for Drumcondra by the name of Paul McNally?

No, Paul used to play with Drums 2nds many years ago.

Ronan Finn's two brothers played for Drums for many years. Ronan trained with us on many occasions when he was a schoolboy and had a nice little business going cleaning boots for his brothers colleagues. A friend of his plays and Ronan can be seen at Drums games still. Delighted with his progress with UCD.

Poor Student
09/12/2008, 5:23 PM
Ronan's old man has mentioned a few times that his two brothers played against UCD in the cup a few years back.

drummerboy
10/12/2008, 8:18 AM
Ronan's old man has mentioned a few times that his two brothers played against UCD in the cup a few years back.

Hmmm. Yes indeed, unfortunately Drums lost 5-0 in a FAI 3rd tie. When the qualified for the 3rd round we were drawn away to the winners of the UCD V COrk City tie. We thought we were in for a financial bonanza but UCD won :)

Having said that it was a good experience for our lads to play against a LOI team, especially as Pete Mahon is an ex Drums player.

HarpoJoyce
19/01/2009, 4:37 PM
Intermediate side Sunday Senior 1B have had a good January in the League winning two and drawing one ( 2-2 away to Grenville, 6-0 away against CIE Ranch and this weekend 5-2 home to Sacred Heart.) The results have moved UCD up to the chasing pack challenging for the three promotion spots. There's at least eight clubs going for this, which means every wek there's a six-pointer or two. Also, the fixture list will play a part as UCD have completed two league games against three other clubs ( Loughshinny 6pts, CIE Ranch 4pts and Sacred Heart 4pts). While they still have to play their first League game against Tymon Celtic, Valeview Shankill, Kilnamanagh and Fairview CYM.
The team now play in two different Cup over the next two weeks.
Moore Cup quarter finals at home against Leixlip Utd.
14:00 at Belfield, either Forster's Avenue or in front of the Sports Centre.

The following week (Saturday 31 but more likely Sunday Feb. 1) in the fourth Round of the Intermediate Cup down at Ringmahon Park in Cork City against Ringmahon Rangers, ko 14:00.

I know some of you will want to make the trip down.

The Saturday side's results in SAT Major 1B isn't gret but they are still challenging for promotion. They play a derby match next saturday 14:00 against Glenmore Dundrum at Moreen Park, Moreen Estate.

Pegasus is in the quaters of the ESB metropolitan Cup

HarpoJoyce
24/01/2009, 3:54 PM
Saturday major1B side beat Glenmore Dundrum today 2-1, with goals from Phillip Byrne and Dean Teeth(sp?). It was a derby in many respects including hard challenges from Glenmore.

Upcoming Cup Matches
George Moore Cup quarter finals
UCD : Leixlip Utd
Sunday (Senior 1B) 25/01/09 Forster Avenue 11:00am

University & Colleges Intermediate Cup quarter finals
Wednesday 28/01/2009
UCD v. Queens University
Forsters Avenue (14:00 or 14:30 ko)

FAI Intermediate Cup Round 4 (last 16)
Saturday 31.01.2009
Ringmahon Rangers v. UCD
Ringmahon Park, Cork city. (14:00 or 14:30 ko. TBC)

This last fixture is one of the toughest matches the Sunday team will face so far this year. Rangers are top of the second tier in MSL football and look good for promotion. UCD are on good goal-scoring form and will wantthatto continue this weekend and next.
As many UCD fans as possible going down will be welcomed. They have already made history in the College by qualifying for next seasons FAI Cup 1st round.

Google map of Ringmahon Road.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110079978468845483460.00044567a1f4a4f706048&t=h&ll=51.921409,-8.269937&spn=0.125278,0.836892&source=embed

Link to Directions
http://www.blarneyunited.com/How_To_Get_There.htm
".. Ringmahon Rangers Rangers Park

Coming from Regional Hospital Wilton, go down Sarsfield Road onto the link road. Go through the airport roundabout. head for Douglas. Ignore the 2 exits for Douglas head towards the Lee Tunnel. Before you come to the tunnel take the exit for Mahon. Take a left at the T junction at the top of the slip road and drive past the factories, (Sifco, Macom, etc ). You'll come to a T Junction where you turn right. Go about 500 yards past the cemetery, to the end of this road. Turn left and the pitch is on the right.

For me that makes it south of the Blackrock suburb on the Ringmahon road, East side near the coast.

colmanthesaint
28/01/2009, 8:09 PM
http://www.thirdlevelfootball.ie/cfai/news/item/139/ucd-ucc-and-letterkenny-it-advance-to-cufl-premier-div-semi-finals/

University College Dublin V Queens University Belfast
Belfield Campus, Dublin
Wednesday 28th January @ 14.30hrs

UCD overwhelmed Queens University Belfast today 6-0 with goals from David McMillan (2), Eoin Roche, Dwayne Wilson, Sean Geoghegan (Pictured) and the best goal of the day a cheeky back flick from Peter McMahon.

The open draw for semi finals will take place on Thursday afternoon.

Was talking to someone out at the game this afternoon, Dave McMillan showing some promise which is a good sign for the season coming. The lads on new scholarships did well too apparently.

HarpoJoyce
02/02/2009, 9:38 PM
Away draw in the Semis of the CUFl Cup after beating Queens.

http://www.thirdlevelfootball.ie/press/item/142/cufl-premier-division-semi-finals-draw/
02 February 2009
Liam Mc Groarty (FAI Grassroots Manager and CUFL Chairman) and Colin O'Brien (Former Cork City player and FAI Player Development Coach) made the CUFL Premier Division Semi Finals Draw today at FAI Headquarters Abbotstown.

The draw is as follows:

Premier Division Semi Finals:
University of Limerick v UCD
Letterkenny IT v UCC

Games to be played at neutral venues week commencing 9th February 2009.

The draw can be seen on video by clicking here

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 12:51 PM
Away draw in the Semis
Games to be played at neutral venues

Hmmm...

Schumi
03/02/2009, 1:05 PM
Nit picking!

Is the Collingwood on soon? It's usually around the same time as the Harding.

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 1:08 PM
Nit picking!

I call it Harpoising. I might make up some stuff about a clique too.

Collingwood in on from 24 to 27 Feb in Cork. Draw is here (http://www.qubafc.com/CollingwoodDraw1.doc) (doc file). Our path to victory is Magee in the first round, UL/QUB in the quarters, and UCC not till the final.

Schumi
03/02/2009, 1:12 PM
Collingwood in on from 24 to 27 Feb in Cork. Draw is here (http://www.qubafc.com/CollingwoodDraw1.doc) (doc file). Our path to victory is Magee in the first round, UL/QUB in the quarters, and UCC not till the final.Thanks.

Horrible draw, in the same half as UUC and UUJ. UL are usually decent as well aren't they? And all three byes in the other half, very odd.

I call it Harpoising. I might make up some stuff about a clique too.Don't derail another trhread with this stuff please. :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 1:14 PM
Thanks.

Horrible draw, in the same half as UUC and UUJ. UL are usually decent as well aren't they? And all three byes in the other half, very odd.
Magee isn't much different to a bye in fairness.

UCC are our bogey team and usually start as favourites, especially if home advantage means anything in this. We can't face both UUC and UUJ, so it's an even enough split, I think.

HarpoJoyce
04/02/2009, 1:39 PM
Thanks.

Don't derail another trhread with this stuff please. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of that.

Venues announced for the CUFL semi-final draw.
http://www.thirdlevelfootball.ie/press/item/142/cufl-premier-division-semi-finals-draw/
"..Premier Division Semi Finals:
University of Limerick v UCD Kick Off 12:30
Letterkenny IT v UCC Kick Off 14:30

Games to be played at Salthill Devon FC, Drom, Galway on Tuesday 10th February 2009"

HarpoJoyce
09/02/2009, 7:34 PM
Match due to go ahead next week. Should be a good one.

http://www.isrscork.com/MSL.htm
"Saturday 14th February (2pm Kick-Off Unless Stated)
Umbro FAI Intermediate Cup 4th Round
Ringmahon Rgs v UCD Ringmahon Park (F. Murphy, A.O’Regan, P. McAuliffe)"

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 1:59 PM
University of Limerick v UCD Kick Off 12:30
Letterkenny IT v UCC Kick Off 14:30
Finished 1-0 to UL. UCD reduced to ten men after five minutes; UL scored in the 118th minute. Ends our three-in-a-row ambitions.

Maicon
14/02/2009, 4:30 PM
Great win for the Saturday team today, beat table-topping Orwell 5-1.

HarpoJoyce
14/02/2009, 6:41 PM
Intermediate Cup 4th Round
Ringmahon Rangers 3:2 UCD

UCD: Sean Coffey, Phillip Bourke, John Bourke, Rory Keavney, Jack Doyle, Sean Geoghgan,Dwayne Wilson, Eoin O'Sullivan, Niall Daly, Paul O'Connor, Timmy Shutz. Subs: D. Lehane, C. Bray, G. O'Toole, R. Lynagh, C. Groarty, E. Rowe, M. Whelan.

Ringmahon came out on top of a very competitive match with two late goals that over-turned an UCD lead. The match was played in an even-tempered competitive spirit. And although UCD had alot of possession, Ringmahon took the lead through James Cummins direct from a free kick which went under the UCD wall after 20 minutes.

UCD lost some of their previous forward momentum with this setback but satrted to create more chances later in the half and Niall Daly deservedly equalised from winger Dwayne Wilson's run and cross on 35 minutes.
UCD started the brightest after the interval and scored again with a copyca goal of the first number seven Daly crossed for Daly to score into the bottom left corner.

UCD should have felt they could go on to win the game , however Ringmahon raised their game considerably and the showed why they are topping their Division in the Munster Senior League. Ringmahon made some changes and this put presuure on the UCD defence and midfield. They made a number of forced and unforced errors as Ringmahon created chances through set pieces.
Derek Remington scored Ringmahon's equaliser after a corner on the 85th minute. UCD made some advances forwrad with Daly showing too much to the Ringmahon keeper. Ringmahon had a shot flash across the UCD box from their young substitute winger. The winning goal came from a breakaway as a late UCD attack broke down. Remington breaking UCD hearts with a late late strike.

Ringmahon have a wonderful setup east of Cork City centre. UCD fans received a very nice welcome in pleasant surrondings and good luck to them for the rest of the season.

The players should be very proud of what they have achieved in this years Inter. Cup. The benefits will be seen later in the year as UCD AFC (Intermediates) have qualified for the 1st round draw of the FAI Cup.

In the meantime the league and semis of the Moore cup at home against Whitehall Rangers w/ending March 01 await.

pineapple stu
15/02/2009, 8:04 PM
Senior Colours match is on Wednesday at 12:30 in the ****e College.

pineapple stu
18/02/2009, 4:20 PM
We won 2-0; Dave McMillan with both.

Poor Student
18/02/2009, 5:53 PM
The players should be very proud of what they have achieved in this years Inter. Cup. The benefits will be seen later in the year as UCD AFC (Intermediates) have qualified for the 1st round draw of the FAI Cup.

To clarify, will there actually be two UCD teams, intermediate and seniors, in the 2009 FAI Cup?

pineapple stu
18/02/2009, 5:55 PM
Yes.

Senior side in the third round, inters in the first round with a very good chance of a bye.

pineapple stu
25/02/2009, 10:41 AM
Magee isn't much different to a bye in fairness.
That was actually a bit of a guess on my part, but at least I was right in the end - we won 8-0, with goals from John Dineen, Michael Kelly, Peter McMahon, Martin Daly (2), David McMillan (2) and Gary O’Toole.

Other results -

University of Limerick 1 – 0 Queen’s University Belfast
UCD 8 – 0 Magee University
Mary Immaculate College Limerick 1 – 1 Royal College Surgeons
(Surgeons won 4-3 on pens after extra time)
UU Jordanstown 2-0 NUI Maynooth
UU Coleraine 6 – 1 Dublin City University

Quarter final draw -
University of Limerick v UCD
UU Coleraine v UU Jordanstown
Royal College of Surgeons v Trinity University
UCC v NUI Galway

All games today.

pineapple stu
26/02/2009, 12:01 AM
Beat UL 2-1 today; through to face UUJ in the semis.

FAI report (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4058&Itemid=9) -

Limerick were rated one of the favourites to win the competition prior to kick-off but despite a brave effort they were unable to contain an impressive UCD, who are now fancied by many to win the Cup.

UCD were given huge impetus by a goal within two minutes of kick-off when Eoin Roche put them ahead.

They led by two when Robbie Creevy added a second before the interval and Limerick had to wait until the 84th minute for their goal - a penalty from Paul Walsh.

Schumi
26/02/2009, 9:49 AM
UCG knocked out UCC on penalties. They'll play Trinity in the other semi.

colmanthesaint
26/02/2009, 9:47 PM
A big week for UCD with both GAA (hurling and football) and soccer games on in Cork this week!

Fingers crossed the team won't be too tired for tomorrow, game's at 3pm.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4062

UCD 2 – 2 UU Jordanstown
(After extra-time. UCD won 4-2 in penalty shoot-out)

THE pre-tournament favourites, UCD certainly lived up to their reputation as they scrapped into the Collingwood Cup final and a match up with NUI Galway in Cork tomorrow after a dramatic shoot-out victory over the holders UU Jordanstown.

The Nothern holders were slow to relinquish their grip on the Irish Universities soccer title as they came from behind twice to force 20 minutes extra-time at the College Farm in Bishopstown but finally succumbed in a penalty shoot-out.

UCD's successful spot-kick takers were David McMillian, Robbie Cheevy, Eoin Roche and centre-half Mick Leahy. When UCD goalkeeper, Cian Byrne, saved Jordanstown's fourth attempt, the Belfield boys were through to the final at the Mardyke.

Jordanstown had the better of the first half and played some neat and tidy football to create the best chances but Paul Heatley and Johnny Malbin were both denied by fine saves from Byrne.

UCD's Tralee-born midfielder, John Dineen went close with a 40th minute shot that was tipped around the post by the diving Matt Quinn as the half ended goalless.

Robert Creevy and David McMillian missed half chances for UCD before substitute Eoin Roche, who has now scored in every game, gave them the lead with a free kick from half-way with just four minutes to go in normal time.

UUJ keeper Quinn misjudged the flight of the ball in the sunshine and though he got a hand to the ball, it still ended up in the net and UCD must have felt they were on their way to this year's decider.

But the holders had other ideas and, inside two minutes, it was 1-1 when Johnny Malbin's bicycle kick forced the tie into exta-time.

UCD made it 2-1 in the 107th minute when John Dineen powered home a near post header from Roche's accurate corner but once again and almost immediately Jordanstown equalised.

This time giant striker Jason Mooney, who had just come on as a substitute, scored with a block-buster of the free kick from all of 30 yards into the top corner - definitely one of the goals of Collingwood Week so far.

But, ironically, Mooney missed from the penalty spot in the shoot-out as the holders bowed out of this inter-varsity series.

colmanthesaint
27/02/2009, 4:50 PM
Collingwood Cup Champions 2009! :D

Won 1-0, Robbie Creevy getting the all important goal!

pineapple stu
27/02/2009, 5:57 PM
Excellent!

How long since our last win? Did we win in 2007?

Any of the lads going to be stepping up to the first team this season? (Bar the likes of Dave McMillan, who's already played)

HarpoJoyce
27/02/2009, 6:37 PM
Excellent!

How long since our last win? Did we win in 2007?

Any of the lads going to be stepping up to the first team this season? (Bar the likes of Dave McMillan, who's already played)

John Dineen and Peter McMahon have played first team. And with Michael Kelly have all being regulars in the 'A' Championship team.

After Edit:
Robbie Creevy may be ex-Shamrock Rovers

Maicon
28/02/2009, 2:18 PM
He is, he scored at least one goal for their first team in a cup competition.

HarpoJoyce
01/03/2009, 4:39 PM
Moore Cup Semi-Finals (LSL Sunday Senior 1A/1B domestic cup)
UCD 3:2 Whitehall Rangers aet
Postal Utd. 1: 0 Edenderry Town
http://www.lsl.ie/showfixturescaug27.aspx?cupid=4

Sounds like a tight game at Belfield but UCD Intermediates came through again. They'll meet Postal Utd. in the final. Venue to be confirmed. The match should be sometime in late May.
Postal Utd. already knocked us out of the other Divisional Cup, Gilligan Cup in 1st rd. last Sept.
But UCD beat Postal in the UCD Bowl last May in the Major Division Vere Deane Cup. Both sides promoted themselves out of that Division.

HarpoJoyce
17/03/2009, 3:16 PM
Interesting Match Alert:
Sat. 21 March 14:30
CIE Ranch : UCD (LSL Sat. major 1B)

This is a top of the table clash 1. v. 2. UCD can go top if they win it. UCD havn't had it all their own way in this Division, they need all the points they can get in their last five games to try and get promotion. UCD have played the most games and there are about six clubs with better form than them.

The Ranch is a quiet secluded part of Dublin, near Inchicore. It has rows of houses built for Railway workers. Built on a hill there's a turning off Gratton crescent (near the Black Lion pub in Inchicore) leadingto the small neighbourhood. There's a small pub where you can watch some Saturday sports before or after the game (No guarantee it'll Football.)
Alternatively the 'Black Lion' has the best food or there's the Black Horse pub on the Luas line or pubs on Emmet Road.

On Sunday UCD play at home against a tough Glenville team who are looking to get promotion. Another six-pointer at 11:00 am.

pineapple stu
18/03/2009, 12:58 PM
Confirmed we have no A Team this year. Bit strange as we have 28 in the squad. Don't know are most playing with the freshers, or is it an extra cost we don't need this year (as we wouldn't have won it) or what the story is.

John83
18/03/2009, 4:20 PM
That's a pity. Presume it's more useful for experience than the U19 league, but maybe not enough, as you say, to justify the outlay.

HarpoJoyce
26/03/2009, 8:43 PM
Ucd Sat. came out second best against CIE Ranch losing 3-2. 3-0 down at half-time they raised their game and scored from a peno and goal with a queue of UCD players wanting to score. UCD had three (3) goals disallowed for pushing or Offside, and a last attack which was called offside by the sole Official that wasn't.
UCD have four games left with one against mid-table Firhouse and must rely on other teams doing the team a favour to get promotion. Still very likely.

The Sunday side had a game this eveing and won 8-0 against Larview Boys in Whelan Park, Kimmage. While Larkview are having a nightmare of a season it was still a good solid win. With UCD taking over in the second-half, Daly, O'Connor, Wilson and 'Campo' among the scorers.

Moore Cup Final (LSL Senior 1A/1B Sunday divisional cup)
Saturday 02 May UCD Bowl (Time tbc.)
UCD AFC versus Postal Utd.

UCD renew their rivalry with Postal. Both sides were promoted last year from Major Sunday. Postal have beaten UCD once in the league and in the 1st round of another cup (Gilligan) this season.
This Final is a repeat of the Major Division Vere Deane Cup Final last year when UCD won 1-0 against Postal Utd.
But the Kiltipper road side (Tallaght) have delivered on their League form and are tearing up Sunday 1B in the same way they tore up Major Div. last year.
Postal Utd have a loyal support and there will be a few of their fans making the trip to UCD, so it would be great to mobilise some vocal support on our side too.

Schumi
06/04/2009, 9:24 PM
UCD LSL get a bye in the first round of the FAI Cup and are drawn at home to Arklow Town in the 2nd round. They're top of the LSL Senior 1 division (second tier) so a tough draw but at home so every chance of two teams in the third round.

http://fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4173

pineapple stu
07/04/2009, 11:48 AM
Ha! Willie Doyle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Doyle_(footballer)) plays for them! That'll make it interesting.