PDA

View Full Version : RTÉ Sport showing their true colours again

Sheridan
09/10/2008, 5:31 PM
Apparently this is front page material: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1009/longford.html

Minor dispute over a small four-figure sum beaten into second place in the headlines only by an article about Arsenal's injury problems ahead of their next game over a week from now (no previews of tomorrow night potentially decisive eL games up yet, of course.)

Moreover, the club is referred to as " Longford Town soccer Club", scoring little for accuracy and less for grammar. Clearly an agenda piece.

pete
09/10/2008, 5:50 PM
Moreover, the club is referred to as " Longford Town soccer Club", scoring little for accuracy and less for grammar. Clearly an agenda piece.

Written by GAA person as they always use soccer term.

I heard the GAA would not let RTE use the word football for LOI highlights which is why it is called MNS.

RonnieB
09/10/2008, 5:57 PM
All publicity is good?! Ah well another nice bit of news to stick with us, love the title though LTSC last I looked we were LTFC, no doubht some GAH head wrote it. Love how they always are so quick to give bad news stories a high positioning yet whenever anything positive happens the league it is barely given a mention.

Massop 10
09/10/2008, 6:01 PM
As always the Irish media only want bad news stories from the "NATIONAL" league. Longford Town and Drogheda Utd are todays targets. Shame on Irelands wannabe English media.

jbyrne
09/10/2008, 6:07 PM

I heard the GAA would not let RTE use the word football for LOI highlights which is why it is called MNS.

really? RTE now have to get let by the GAA to use certain words on a topic that has nil to do with them?? what a load of complete nonsense. where exactly did you hear this from? :confused:

Longfordian
09/10/2008, 6:20 PM
Talk about a mountain out of a molehill. It's a joke that this is deemed worthy of national coverage. The Longford Leader maybe, but RTE Sport?. You won't be surprised that they left out the most important part of the story, that the guards told the court they aren't pursuing it and the judge when summing up said that he saw no reason why the licence can't be granted next week. He just needs clarification on a small issue regarding the company applying for the licence, not "to hear the club's side of the story". That's of no relevance to the application as the judge himself said, it's matter for a civil case and has already been settled.

Source
09/10/2008, 7:39 PM

Most people around the world call it soccer, even in England they also refer it as soccer some times i.e. Soccer A.M.
It doesn't help the image of the league, when the average sports fan reads crap like this. Sorry but talk about been paranoid.

Also RTE have already taken it down from Aertel, so not many would of noticed the article. :rolleyes:

Sheridan
09/10/2008, 7:42 PM
Most people around the world call it soccer
It's quite an achievement given the level of discourse here, but this might be single most ignorant comment I've ever read on this forum.

Source
09/10/2008, 7:54 PM
It's quite an achievement given the level of discourse here, but this might be single most ignorant comment I've ever read on this forum.

If im wrong, apologies. but when im abroad that seems to be the term mostly used (and before you say, I haven't been all over the world, I wish I was).
It seem to me that you have to be in either one camp or the other.

Sheridan
09/10/2008, 7:57 PM
In a lot of countries they wouldn't even recognise the word. It's football, futbol, fussball, voetbal, futebol and any number of words which derive from or translate literally as "football."

eelmonster
09/10/2008, 7:59 PM
If im wrong, apologies. but when im abroad that seems to be the term mostly used (and before you say, I haven't been all over the world, I wish I was).
It seem to me that you have to be in either one camp or the other.

You must be watching FISA and UESA sanctioned matches. Do you follow the SAI's international team, or Glasgow Celtic SC, perhaps?

Jinxy
09/10/2008, 8:04 PM

http://meltyourfaceoff.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Source
09/10/2008, 8:24 PM
One last comment, If someone called it soccer, you still know what they are talking about. There are probably more than 20 different sports that are/can be referred to as football

pete
09/10/2008, 8:36 PM
really? RTE now have to get let by the GAA to use certain words on a topic that has nil to do with them?? what a load of complete nonsense. where exactly did you hear this from? :confused:

I am specifically referring to process of choosing MNS as the name of that show. I believe an RTE person said it but I could be mixing it up so not sure if would pass a lie detector. ;)

Saint_Charlie
09/10/2008, 8:42 PM
They've changed it to FC now...

pete
09/10/2008, 8:46 PM
They've changed it to FC now...

Trying to deflect attention from MNS name! :p

sligoman
09/10/2008, 8:53 PM
Absolute disgrace!:mad:...Longford should be thrown out of the league:D

RonnieB
09/10/2008, 9:42 PM
Anyone want to buy the winning numbers for next week?

BohDiddley
09/10/2008, 10:27 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with 'soccer'.
What is wrong is having a policy not to call the game football, which, it seems, may be the case in RTÉ. Because, despite what the GAA brigade might think, there's absolutely nothing wrong with 'football' either.

SkStu
10/10/2008, 4:23 AM
jeeze the amount of moany b1tches in this forum.... soccer or football - who gives a f*ck, really? What about the italians? dont they call it calcio - which means "kick"... want to pop over to eyet.ie and give them hell for that too?

its quite simple - any country that has a national sport calling itself "football" (States, Canada, Ireland, Australia) will adopt the term "soccer" for association football (if you want to get technical about it).

Stop being so f*ckin precious eelmonster and sheridan.

gspain
10/10/2008, 8:06 AM
Soccer is a slang term.

Football is the name of the sport worldwide.

It is run here by the Football Association of Ireland.

jbyrne
10/10/2008, 9:17 AM
I am specifically referring to process of choosing MNS as the name of that show. I believe an RTE person said it but I could be mixing it up so not sure if would pass a lie detector. ;)

who cares what its called as long as its on? the eircom lge media watch with punters ready to pounce at the first slip-up, mistake, item they think is degrading to the lge has to stop.... its a complete bore at this stage

Dodge
10/10/2008, 9:24 AM
MNS is probably because the US NFL have copyrighted Monday Night Football (Think sky had to change theirs too). No big deal

Calling them Longford Town soccer club is just another example of people in the media simply not cring about what they publish. They got the name of the club wrong because they don't know the name of it, and are too lazy to check it out.

Oh and its a ****ing nothing story. Regional newspaper filler

BohDiddley
10/10/2008, 9:55 AM
Calling them Longford Town soccer club is just another example of people in the media simply not cring about what they publish. They got the name of the club wrong because they don't know the name of it, and are too lazy to check it out.

I think that is probably true in individual cases... slip-ups, carelessness, habit. But if it is the case that RTE have an active policy not to use the f-word when referring to the global game then that is significant, especially if the word is reserved for GAA.
Maybe I'm wrong, and perhaps there are exceptions, but I haven't heard Association Football called football on RTE for some time now. That doesn't happen by accident.

Straightstory
10/10/2008, 10:04 AM
Most people around the world call it soccer, even in England they also refer it as soccer some times i.e. Soccer A.M.
It doesn't help the image of the league, when the average sports fan reads crap like this. Sorry but talk about been paranoid.

Also RTE have already taken it down from Aertel, so not many would of noticed the article. :rolleyes:

Eh... no they don't. 'Soccer' is rather a quaint term that is rarely heard nowadays - except in Ireland. To say that most people 'around the world' call it socccer is quite obviously wrong.

gspain
10/10/2008, 10:32 AM
I think that is probably true in individual cases... slip-ups, carelessness, habit. But if it is the case that RTE have an active policy not to use the f-word when referring to the global game then that is significant, especially if the word is reserved for GAA.
Maybe I'm wrong, and perhaps there are exceptions, but I haven't heard Association Football called football on RTE for some time now. That doesn't happen by accident.

Correct Newstalk and Today FM for example would regularly use football.

bennocelt
10/10/2008, 2:51 PM
One last comment, If someone called it soccer, you still know what they are talking about. There are probably more than 20 different sports that are/can be referred to as football

yeah but you would also know that football isnt their true love

Dodge
10/10/2008, 2:57 PM
:D Top post bennocelt