PDA

View Full Version : Sky +

Magicme
08/10/2008, 8:37 AM
Does anyone elses Sky freeze sometimes during programmes and then jump forward? Happening a lot at the moment and its doing my head in.

oldyouth
08/10/2008, 9:01 AM
It has happened to me alright. Sometimes it is down to really heay rain hitting the dish and blocking the signal. Along with other problems, I usually find that I have to unplug the entire system for 10 minutes on a regular basis

Magicme
08/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Its not good enough considering the cost of the fecking thing. Will contact them and complain methinks.

oldyouth
08/10/2008, 10:27 AM
Its not good enough considering the cost of the fecking thing. Will contact them and complain methinks.
That'll be good, a lady from Monaghan giving out to someone from Pakistan with a Scottish accent:D

noby
08/10/2008, 10:31 AM
...complaining about the weather.

Macy
08/10/2008, 10:43 AM
Unless it is a software issue, it could be to do with the dish. Unless it is really heavy rain (torrential), then either it was a crap installation or the dish has moved (or something is blocking part of the path such as a tree which could've grown to block part of the path).

Could be also worth checking that the cable isn't damaged, as if the shielding is damaged it could make it more liable to interference and/or signal loss. (I had to replace the cable run on mine due to a nick that meant some channels breaking up).

Is it only certain channels or all channels?

Personally, I've always thought Sky+ was a rip off, especially as you lose access to recorded programmes once you don't subscribe anymore. Will probably get the FreeSat PVR when it's out and I have the spare cash though, but until then the sat card in the PC will do...

Magicme
08/10/2008, 11:32 AM
Unless it is a software issue, it could be to do with the dish. Unless it is really heavy rain (torrential), then either it was a crap installation or the dish has moved (or something is blocking part of the path such as a tree which could've grown to block part of the path).

Could be also worth checking that the cable isn't damaged, as if the shielding is damaged it could make it more liable to interference and/or signal loss. (I had to replace the cable run on mine due to a nick that meant some channels breaking up).

Is it only certain channels or all channels?

Personally, I've always thought Sky+ was a rip off, especially as you lose access to recorded programmes once you don't subscribe anymore. Will probably get the FreeSat PVR when it's out and I have the spare cash though, but until then the sat card in the PC will do...

despite the bad weather there hasnt been that much torrential rain here, tere is no tree in the path of the signal but will go and check for the other potential hazards! Thanks!

gaiscĂ­och
08/10/2008, 11:39 AM
despite the bad weather there hasnt been that much torrential rain here, tere is no tree in the path of the signal but will go and check for the other potential hazards! Thanks!

All Sky will do is ask you to check the signal strength etc. and try boost you signal. They will send out a technician because they don't want to bother helping and then he will charge you a call out fee and also a repair fee.

Be prepared for the worst because it usually is with Sky.

TheBoss
08/10/2008, 1:43 PM
That sometimes happens when you are recording a programme on a different station while watching another and the recorded programme ends up not recording, with a message, 'Recording Interrupted'

sligoman
08/10/2008, 2:57 PM
That sometimes happens when you are recording a programme on a different station while watching another and the recorded programme ends up not recording, with a message, 'Recording Interrupted'Yeah I get that sometimes.

Also, I set The Apprentice to record on Monday night and it looked as if it recorded(no error message or that) but when I press play, nothing happens and I have to press the 'Sky' button on the remote to get back to the channels as it just freezes on the screen.

stann
08/10/2008, 10:36 PM
Did you have an existing Sky dish, MM?
Plenty of stuff to check out above but if so it might also be that you've a problem developing with your old dish; the dish itself, the LNB, cables or whatever.
When I got mine installed just recently I was told I'd probably have to replace the dish within the year, that it's just rusting away. It has been on the wall the bones of eight years though, so owes me nothing.
Oh, and don't get a technician out through Sky. You'll surely be able to find out about someone local who won't fleece ya before even looking at it.

Ringo
14/10/2008, 8:25 PM
Does anyone elses Sky freeze sometimes during programmes and then jump forward? Happening a lot at the moment and its doing my head in.

yes i thought it was a "feature":)

tetsujin1979
15/10/2008, 2:24 AM
It's happening a lot on NTL as well