PDA

View Full Version : EL Weekly last nite

michaelguineys
07/10/2003, 9:25 AM
Their coverage of the City v Waterford game was a joke.
Why didnt they show the o.g.?
Why didnt they show Dan Connor actin the *****?
Why didnt Trevor even mention it??????????

Gary
07/10/2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by michaelguineys
Their coverage of the City v Waterford game was a joke.
Why didnt they show the o.g.?
Why didnt they show Dan Connor actin the *****?
Why didnt Trevor even mention it??????????

Chorus' stupid coverage is to blame for that.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Because its the eircom league.

NorthoftheLee
07/10/2003, 10:33 AM
i was wondering that.did the camera man fall asleep or what????

really poor effort from eLweekly.....or even chorus for that matter...

was it actually on chorus last nite.???...I forgot to check.....

pete
07/10/2003, 12:10 PM
Censorship by Chorus & CCFC possibly?

Was Dan O'Connor incident close to the scoring (even if at other end of the pitch) of the last goal?

IMO eL weekly is getting worse week by week. All the showed last night were brief highlights of 2 Premier & 2 Fisrt division games + some rehashed FAI Cup highlights already shown on RTE.

Noel King is the worst pundit ever. Can only imagine what his team talks at like at Harps.

:rolleyes:

Gary
07/10/2003, 12:45 PM
yes, it was on Chorus last night. What it seemed like to me was that the tape was running out so the cameraman stopped for a min or two, and started recording again as City were kicking off again.

it was brutal, they showed one bit where Connor was taking a free out, and he turned around wiyth his arms in the air. Looked completely innocuous like.

I reckon chorus should either improve their coverage, or just quit, as their effort is only turning the barstoolers away even more so. if u were to look just at Chorus, u would think that there is very few at the games, and no athmosphere. It has never shown any of the big flags, and that fool Kiely is always just complimenting the away support for their noise.

As for eL weekly, ive given up on it really, but i find it hard to blame them. they can only do as good as the clubs provide them. Surely it would be in the better interests of all clubs to have a few good cameras at good angles at their games.?????

Dodge
07/10/2003, 12:49 PM
They didn't show the O'Connor thing because it was a non-event.

If they showed it most people would slag them for highlighting the negative

pineapple stu
07/10/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Gary
As for eL weekly, I've given up on it really, but I find it hard to blame them. They can only do as good as the clubs provide them. Surely it would be in the better interests of all clubs to have a few good cameras at good angles at their games.?????

Why can they only do as good as the clubs provide them? Surely they should be out there doing the coverage themselves if they were that interested? In what other league would clubs have to do their own videoing and send it in to the highlights show??

Interestingly, TV3 were there at the UCD-Shels game on Friday (at least, the TV3 van was there, so I presume it was them doing the coverage). We usually video our own games, and they turn out alright, but I saw the highlights on Sports Tonight on Friday and the camerawork was appalling! Completely missing Jamie Harris heading the goal was just one of the things wrong. Don't know if it was on eL Weekly, but I'd argue that the problems with the show are TV3's, not the clubs'. While RTÉ weren't exactly the greatest exponents of the eircom League, when they did cover it, they did it far far better - at least two camera angles at major games, commentary as opposed to a talk-over, proper analysis and not just retalking over the highlights, etc. If RTÉ could do that, there's no reason why TV3 can't.

patsh
07/10/2003, 1:00 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
They didn't show the O'Connor thing because it was a non-event.
Gee, a shed end invisible has converted and now goes to City games....:eek:
Speaking of non-events, I tuned into RTE on Sunday to see the "fans spectacular event", but obviously got the wrong day though.
When is this happening?
Will there be actually anything to see?

Gary
07/10/2003, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Why can they only do as good as the clubs provide them? Surely they should be out there doing the coverage themselves if they were that interested? In what other league would clubs have to do their own videoing and send it in to the highlights show??

I see what you mean, but i cant ever see TV3 or RTEngland ever taking too much interest.
:mad:

patsh
07/10/2003, 1:10 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
but I'd argue that the problems with the show are TV3's, not the clubs'.
Definitely.
It is the worst attempt at a soccer show, indeed any sports show, ever in the history of television. I can't understand why the powers that be don't take away the coverage from TV3, even if no one else will show it.
I actually think it is doing more damage than good to the league, as it gives a perception of the eL which is far worse than reality.

Dodge
07/10/2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Gee, a shed end invisible has converted and now goes to City games....:eek:
Speaking of non-events, I tuned into RTE on Sunday to see the "fans spectacular event" , but obviously got the wrong day though.
When is this happening?
I should know better but...

"fans spectacular event" Where did you get that quote?

And seeing as RTE didn't show any of the pre match, how would you know what happened?

niamh
07/10/2003, 1:43 PM
Is called a contract. Showing the eL is part of the contract that gives them International highlights after the games are shown live on Sky Sports.

As for eL, the production side of things does seem to be slipping this year even if it's little things like Goals of the Month and the gob****es they have as pundits.

patsh
07/10/2003, 1:49 PM
I should know better but...

"fans spectacular event" Where did you get that quote?

And seeing as RTE didn't show any of the pre match, how would you know what happened?
You NEVER know better, you just think you know.
Soccercentral used those words in some combination.
I know what happened in Dalymount just like you know what happened in Turner's Cross last Friday night.

patsh
07/10/2003, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Is called a contract. Showing the eL is part of the contract that gives them International highlights after the games are shown live on Sky Sports.

A contract is between two sides at least, with obligations on all parties. Surely there is some sort of standard, number of games live per season and other things which TV3 must meet. On the live games alone, there is reason to believe they have not fulfilled their side of this contract.

Dodge
07/10/2003, 2:00 PM
You NEVER know better, you just think you know.
Soccercentral used those words in some combination.
I know what happened in Dalymount just like you know what happened in Turner's Cross last Friday night.
So soccercentral hyped it up. Nothing to do with us. have a go at them, not me...

The Turners Cross has gooten a huge amount of bandwidth on this and other message boards. Anyone who has a passing internet interest in this league knows all the details. Its the proverbial "storm in a tea cup"

The Crowds at Dalymount got little or no coverage.

NorthoftheLee
07/10/2003, 2:21 PM
Speaking of non-events, I tuned into RTE on Sunday to see the "fans spectacular event" , but obviously got the wrong day though.
When is this happening?

in all fairness to the SEI lads(for once :D) the crowd cover did look pretty good......Fair play to those involved.....

http://homepage.eircom.net/~saintspics/cc1.jpg

The crowd wasn't spectacular but the cover is pretty good IMO.

As for the TV3 thing,....its alll bout money and viewing figures...they cant afford to have 2 cameras at all the grounds..

patsh
07/10/2003, 2:24 PM
So soccercentral hyped it up. Nothing to do with us. have a go at them, not me...

The Turners Cross has gooten a huge amount of bandwidth on this and other message boards. Anyone who has a passing internet interest in this league knows all the details. Its the proverbial "storm in a tea cup"

The Crowds at Dalymount got little or no coverage.
Dodge, do yourself a favour and crawl out of your own hole.
"have a go at them, not me"
Have a go???????What kind of ***** are you?...:rolleyes:

1. I did not mention you or anyone else in the post about the "spectacular", but, of course, you have to come charging in, all righteous and taking extreme umbrage at the merest thought that anything may be said against yourself and all the other chip-on-the-shoulder merchants in Inchicore.
The "spectacular" was also on the internet, and anyone, like me, who has a passing interest in the league knew the details, tuned in to see.......diddly squat, the noise of a few firecrackers and sweet fa else.
2. You act like Mr. Knowall, when you know absolutely nothing of the events in Turners Cross, but of course that never stops you from spewing your usual drivel.

You posted
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
which you say shows I know nothing about Dalymount, because I wasn't there.
The FACT that you were not in Turner's Cross is no impediment to you however.
Get over your obsession with either Dolan and/or anything remotely connected to Cork City and try to get some perspective on the contradictions in your own "thought processes", if that is indeed what they are.

Dodge
07/10/2003, 2:24 PM
That pic was about 15 minutes before kick off.

Here's a better pic http://homepage.eircom.net/~saintspics/cc2.jpg

BTW there's orange mesh on the bottom 4 rows so nobody could sit on those seats. Seemed a bit pointless to me...

And I'm not even going to bother replying to patsh's outburst...

razor
07/10/2003, 2:36 PM
Wow, even with all that support I bet ye were still missing a few .

;)

niamh
07/10/2003, 5:20 PM
A contract is between two sides at least, with obligations on all parties. Surely there is some sort of standard, number of games live per season and other things which TV3 must meet. On the live games alone, there is reason to believe they have not fulfilled their side of this contract.

TV3 don't have to fulfill that obligation because the FAI are not providing them with exclusive Irish coverage of all the games. By designating the Irish qualifiers, the eL has suffered.

patsh
07/10/2003, 8:54 PM
TV3 don't have to fulfill that obligation because the FAI are not providing them with exclusive Irish coverage of all the games. By designating the Irish qualifiers, the eL has suffered.
OK, the FAI has not fulfilled its obligations so the contract is voided surely on those reasons.

patsh
07/10/2003, 9:07 PM
And I'm not even going to bother replying to patsh's outburst...
What?
Deprive yourself of the chance to spew even more of your bullsh*t....:rolleyes:

Dodge
08/10/2003, 8:53 AM
What?
Deprive yourself of the chance to spew even more of your bullsh*t....:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

niamh
08/10/2003, 2:15 PM
OK, the FAI has not fulfilled its obligations so the contract is voided surely on those reasons.

well not really because TV3 have still received some highlight footage. Anyway my point was that TV3 basically have a lot of ground not to be forced to show anymore live matches and RTE aren't exactly lined up to compete for them either.

patsh
08/10/2003, 4:38 PM
well not really because TV3 have still received some highlight footage. Anyway my point was that TV3 basically have a lot of ground not to be forced to show anymore live matches and RTE aren't exactly lined up to compete for them either.
I see your point but given the poor job that TV3 do, it might be better not to have them continue doing such a shoddy job.
It must also be ackowledged that so far this season, RTE have shown (incl tonight) 5 live games involving eL teams so far and will show the Cup final too. Thats a much bigger and better commitment than the TV3, who actually contracted to show live games.
No matter what way you look at it, the weekly show plus ONE live game back last April is a poor effort and shows no commitment whatsoever to the eL.

niamh
08/10/2003, 7:12 PM
I'm not defending the Tv3 coverage in any sense, I am just saying that the contract that is in place doesn't strictly speaking have to be filled. Someone who worked for Tv3 told me that very very few of the sports department actually liked the league and most saw it as a way to get involved in the Champions League coverage. With that sort of attitute among the reporters, the coverage is not going to be very good.

razor
09/10/2003, 7:30 AM
Must compliment RTE on their coverage of the Cup Semi Final Replay last night, Interview area after the match and a studio with guests and everything.
Dolan was co commentating with George, he was hilarious, corny jokes to beat the band.
He even made George laugh.

liamon
09/10/2003, 8:26 AM
I didn't really enjoy Dolan's commentary. Seemed more interested in being funny than talking about the game.
Some of the stuff he came out with was just daft.

But overall, I thought RTE did a reasonable job covering the game.

ger121
09/10/2003, 1:18 PM
I know it's not a great show but I suppose it's better than nothing. I still watch it most weeks as it is the only chance you really get to see the goals and highlights. Until something else comes along it will have to do I'm afraid.

patsh
09/10/2003, 6:35 PM
Thers a report on Citynet saying that RTE are showing a league game live next week, the 17th. (Bohs v SPA)
How can they show a league game?
Is this a sign that RTE are trying to get eL back?
I hope so, it might buck up TV3 (or maybe they would be happy to be rid of it?)

Macy
10/10/2003, 8:02 AM
TV3 have a non-exclusive contract... RTE could've shown games and highlights all along....

Schumi
10/10/2003, 2:17 PM
Be great if RTE showed a live game, especially as they don't seem to have been forced into it. Their coverage of the semi replay was good.

niamh
10/10/2003, 4:14 PM
RTE should be showing the games as our national broadcaster before they show other the league of another country live.

pete
10/10/2003, 4:46 PM
I don't think theres any need for exclusive eL rights. Best option would be for RTE & TV3 to show highlights or live games.