PDA

View Full Version : Best Album Of 2007

jebus
06/10/2008, 6:24 PM
Arctic Monkeys are streets ahead in 2006 so I guess it's time for the next Best Of poll, here are the picks, usual deal if you're voting Other

Radiohead - House Of Cards - In Rainbows

8nTFjVm9sTQ

Arcade Fire - No Cars Go - Neon Bible

rJDsm1Y4kUk

M.I.A. - Paper Planes - Kala

7sei-eEjy4g

jebus
06/10/2008, 6:33 PM
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends - Sound Of Silver

i2V_ZT-nyOs

Battles - Tonto - Mirrored

1LLAN29W-4w

Grinderman - No Pussy Blues - Grinderman

lL3dNfxcpnw

jebus
06/10/2008, 6:37 PM
The National - Mistaken For Strangers - Boxer

cgRsYkKb1eI

Feist - 1,2,3,4 - The Reminder

p8Z-DIAthbM

Arctic Monkeys - Flourescent Adolescent - Favourite Worst Nightmare

ma9I9VBKPiw

jebus
06/10/2008, 6:42 PM
Toss up between LCD Soundsystem and the National for me this year, not sure which way I'll wait yet though. Feist and Radiohead are the frontrunners behind them for me too

centre mid
06/10/2008, 6:49 PM
The Manic's Send Away The Tigers, proper return to what they do best.

superfrank
06/10/2008, 7:58 PM
Simple.

Overpowered by Roisin Murphy. It's one of the best dance albums in the last few years. Love it.

Neon Bible was another good one. Eh...that's it from 2007 really.

EDIT: What's up with the Arcade Fire video?

jebus
06/10/2008, 8:08 PM
EDIT: What's up with the Arcade Fire video?

It's playing for me :confused:

superfrank
06/10/2008, 8:10 PM
Ah yeah, it plays. It's just the video is "Rebellion".

jebus
06/10/2008, 8:14 PM
Ah yeah, it plays. It's just the video is "Rebellion".

oopsie must have picked the wrong one, I'll get it sorted now

Edit: Hang on, no it isn't, it's the No Cars Go video :confused:

holidaysong
06/10/2008, 8:16 PM
Arcade Fire for me. Even better than their first album IMO!

The Optimist
06/10/2008, 8:34 PM
Some really good albums in 2007
Gonna go with :
Frank Turner - Sleep Is For the Weak.

Other great albums that year:
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
Delorentos - In Love With Detail
Editors - End Has A Start
Foo Fighters - Echoes,Silence,Patience & Grace
Manic Street Preachers - Send Away The Tigers
Cathy Davey - Tales Of Silversleeve
Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly - Angry Mob

jebus
06/10/2008, 8:53 PM
At the moment it's a 6 way tie :eek::p

Neish
06/10/2008, 9:26 PM
Voted for Other and my vote goes to:

Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Hounorable mentions to Because of the Times - Kings of Leon & Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

NeilMcD
06/10/2008, 9:35 PM
Yeah Robert Plant and Alison Krauss or Kings of Leon for me.

Just curious but how come Kings or Leon are not in the list and what is the criteria. Just out of interested.

jebus
06/10/2008, 9:46 PM

Just curious but how come Kings or Leon are not in the list and what is the criteria. Just out of interested.

I look up Metacritic, Rate Your Music, Mercury Music and that and generally pick 9 of the top rated albums for the year. Kings Of Leon's one was nowhere on those lists and I don't have it myself to query them being left out so they were left out of this list. Vote Other and just say Kings Of Leon get your vote though, it's what the option is there for

gustavo
06/10/2008, 9:50 PM
gonna have to go with Favourite Worst Nightmare with honourable mentions to Sound Of Silver , Thirst for Romance , Neon Bible , Because of the times and In Rainbows

SkStu
06/10/2008, 10:11 PM
Other - Kings Of Leon

jebus
06/10/2008, 10:12 PM

which one is it for finally tallying later on too?

stann
06/10/2008, 10:40 PM
A few good ones this year alright. Arcade Fire, Battles and MIA all had sterling efforts.
MIA's in particular, though it's a real slow burner, takes a lot of getting into. Great choice of track from it too jebus. Am I the only one who still finds the gunshots in it a bit shocking? Maybe 'cos they sound so crisp and up close, and you have the ejector too. Still startles a bit. Probably just me. :)

Also you had:
Dinosaur Jr - Beyond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icf4wHLYbZI). Like they were never away, "Almost Ready" from this one (not a vid, sorry).
Justice - + (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ6jjfSL-wQ). Closest I could get to a cross! Real hit-and-miss, but the good bits really are rather good indeed. "DANCE" from this one.
Bishi - Nights At The Circus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bSelWzORzQ). Only heard of this fairly recently, but it's from 2007, must have been a bit of a push on it in recent times. It is a wonderful thing though. "Never Seen Your Face" from this one, that's the song she played on Jonathan Ross at the weekend.

Maybe with Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys involved Arcade Fire mightn't p!ss away with this one too, but I doubt it.
I, on the other hand, am going for the correct answer, which is LCD Soundsystem.
Someone Great (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0) - love this, was an instrumental on their previous album.

NeilMcD
06/10/2008, 10:49 PM
I look up Metacritic, Rate Your Music, Mercury Music and that and generally pick 9 of the top rated albums for the year. Kings Of Leon's one was nowhere on those lists and I don't have it myself to query them being left out so they were left out of this list. Vote Other and just say Kings Of Leon get your vote though, it's what the option is there for

Fair enough, Just seemed strange as the other ones had been in he list but no problem as I was just curious.

Ok and going to vote for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.

gustavo
06/10/2008, 11:07 PM
I, on the other hand, am going for the correct answer, which is LCD Soundsystem.
Someone Great - love this, it uses an instrumental from their previous album.
Brilliant album , You can't get much better for three consective tracks on an album than North American Scum , Someone Great and All My Friends

kingdom hoop
07/10/2008, 12:09 AM
Simple.

Overpowered by Roisin Murphy. It's one of the best dance albums in the last few years. Love it.

Yeah I like that too, but I'm not even sure it's in the top 5 dance albums of 2007 not to mind the last few years! Some very good albums though in fairness: I've got LCD Soundsystem at the top of the pile though - partly to becalm Stann, partly cos I want to win, and partly cos it's simply great. But I equally could've gone for the albethem less well-known albums from The Young Punx (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EbLjn3ON7E&feature=related), or Prins Thomas & Lindstrom - go on, click it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdG7qzV_sPY). Then you had Justice and Digitalism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DCYjwoGiUU&feature=related), and MGMT and Outlines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHBcQU7UxPQ&feature=related), or of course there's always the sumptuously beguiling stuff from The Field - you'll love this if you give it a chance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpwmR3z1VA). Great year actually. :)

Outside of them, and those in poll, Pelle Carlberg and Tinariwen released fantastically fantastic albums too. Try them - then buy them. :)

noby
07/10/2008, 7:19 AM
I was so close to giving the nod to Pelle Carlberg, but it's got to be LCD Soundsystem.

Bluebeard
07/10/2008, 7:41 AM
MIA for me (an me alone, it appears), with honoured nods to Digitalism and Roisin Murphy coming close.

The Good Son
07/10/2008, 7:53 AM
Other, Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge.
Another couple of good ones from that year not mentioned, The Fall - Reformation Post TLC. As well as Grinderman that year, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis also had the soundtrack to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Pike B
07/10/2008, 9:30 AM
Life In Cartoon Motion-Mika

Wolfie
07/10/2008, 12:36 PM
Went for Radiohead eventually.

A few great releases in 07, though.

Arade Fire, Kings of Leon, Grinderman, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Bruce Springsteen, Manics.......all mentioned previously.

Honourable mentions to The Good, the bad and the Queen album and the Coral.

Beavis
07/10/2008, 1:52 PM
For me:

Battles - Mirrored
Holy F uck - LP
Kevin Drew - Spirit If
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

But In Rainbows was streets ahead of everything this year. I had expected it would win by a mile - more accessible than recent albums while still appealling to Radiohead fans, and it was free!:)

superfrank
07/10/2008, 2:00 PM
Am I the only one who still finds the gunshots in it a bit shocking? Maybe 'cos they sound so crisp and up close, and you have the ejector too. Still startles a bit. Probably just me. :)
I thought you listened to a fair bit of hip-hop? :confused:

Surely you'd be desensitised to the sound by now.

jebus
07/10/2008, 3:55 PM
MIA's in particular, though it's a real slow burner, takes a lot of getting into. Great choice of track from it too jebus. Am I the only one who still finds the gunshots in it a bit shocking? Maybe 'cos they sound so crisp and up close, and you have the ejector too. Still startles a bit. Probably just me. :)

I read somewhere that it was a way to get around her saying 'All I want to do is shoot an American', as the whole song is about her being initially barred from America for having a terrorist for a father. Not sure if it's true or not but I think it adds a lot to the track, as does the cash register sound :)

Great album is right though, shame she retired :(

Rovers1
07/10/2008, 4:43 PM
Because Of The Times and Magic

jebus
07/10/2008, 4:50 PM
Because Of The Times and Magic

which one though?

stann
07/10/2008, 8:28 PM
I thought you listened to a fair bit of hip-hop? :confused:

Surely you'd be desensitised to the sound by now.

No, it's not the fact that there is gunshots, it's the particular sound of them on this. Crisp, right up in the mix, 4 of them one after the other in relentless fashion, and then the ejector noise morphing into a cash register ring. It's quite brilliant.
Shocking is the wrong word too, just that it still makes me jump just a fraction. :D
That's a good story too jebus, whether it is or it isn't true. :)

jebus
07/10/2008, 11:17 PM
That's a good story too jebus, whether it is or it isn't true. :)

That's what the song is about alright and that did happen to her, whether the gun shots were added for that reason is what is in doubt :)

Rovers1
08/10/2008, 12:02 PM
which one though?

sorry Jebus,

twould be BOTT for me,just by a goal-post, it blew me away straight away, is very hard, personally for me to pick between the two. :o

razor
09/10/2008, 12:04 PM
Albums that I really enjoyed in 2007 are
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation
The Cribs - Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever
The Pigeon Detectives - Wait For Me
The Maccabees - Colour It In
Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures

hard to pick one out of that, really enjoyed them all
The Cribs if i'm pushed

monzo
09/10/2008, 4:55 PM
Went for In Rainbows over Black Francis' Bluefinger album which was more or less a concept album on Herman Brood.

Grinderman has some brilliant songs as well.

tetsujin1979
09/10/2008, 11:21 PM
Couldn't decide between Common and Arcade Fire. Flipped a coin, Arcade Fire won.

Other albums this year:
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder
Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City
Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
The Ataris - Welcome The Night
Ash - Twilight Of The Innocents
Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Is Is
The Go! Team - Proof Of Youth
Kanye West - Graduation
The Hives - The Black And White Album
Common - Finding Forever

and for those of you who refuse to believe in Satan, the biggest worldwide selling album of the year was High School The Musical 2.
Proof positive IMO

Pauro 76
10/10/2008, 12:34 PM
Voted In Rainbows, just blew me away. Close second to Kings of Leon and Arcade fire.