PDA

View Full Version : Ireland U23 squad announced

Dodge
06/10/2008, 1:00 PM
For the game v belgium on 21st October (3 days before Pats v Bohs Cup semi). First call ups for Jay O@Shea and Shane Guthrie. Not sure about Peers
---
Darren Quigley Derry City
Barry Murphy Shamrock Rovers

Seamus Coleman Sligo Rovers
Gavin Peers Sligo Rovers
Ger O’Brien Shamrock Rovers
Conor Kenna UCD
Shane Guthrie Cobh Ramblers
Conor Powell Bohemians

Darren Murphy Cork City
Paul Keegan Drogheda United
Killian Brennan Bohemians
Stephen Rice Shamrock Rovers
Stephen O’Donnell Bohemians
John Paul Kelly Bohemians
Ruaidhri Higgins Derry City
Gary Deegan Bohemians

Mark Quigley St. Patrick’s Athletic
Denis Behan Cork City
Ger Rowe Bray Wanderers
Jay O’Shea Galway United

Seagull-4-life
06/10/2008, 1:31 PM
ger rowe :O

superfrank
06/10/2008, 1:37 PM
...should be nowhere near the squad.

sligoman
06/10/2008, 1:39 PM
Not sure about PeersPeers has been in it before, scored once too.

Where's this game on?

superfrank
06/10/2008, 1:44 PM
Where's this game on?
Dalymount on the 21st, iirc.

sligoman
06/10/2008, 1:48 PM
Do no harm to spread it around the country a bit, always Dalymount. Longford would have been best.[end Dublin gets everything rant]

Dodge
06/10/2008, 1:50 PM
Might be an international thing. Can't have it too far from international airport etc.

That and Fenlon being manager...

(I agree BTW)

HarpoJoyce
06/10/2008, 1:58 PM
For the game v belgium on 21st October (3 days before Pats v Bohs Cup semi). First call ups for Jay O@Shea and Shane Guthrie. Not sure about Peers
---
Darren Quigley Derry City
Denis Behan Cork City
Ger Rowe Bray Wanderers

During the season. If RoI reach the Final hopefully that date can be arranged just short of the final day at the RDS of the summer season.

I'm always suprised to see players who I think have beening around for a long time are still very young. The Bakers were a previous example.
(I'm kinda glad 'cos of his temperment Joxer Kelly (JPK?) is still considered young).

rambler14
06/10/2008, 2:14 PM
For the game v belgium on 21st October (3 days before Pats v Bohs Cup semi). First call ups for Jay O@Shea and Shane Guthrie.

Played vs Northern Ireland. One of the few to play 90 mins therefore not his first call-up.

Dodge
06/10/2008, 2:20 PM
Fair play, didn't know that

Good player too

Sniffer
06/10/2008, 2:49 PM
Nutsy mentioned that he had good attacking options - if anything it's the area of the squad that looks the most threadbare.

sligoman
06/10/2008, 2:57 PM
O'Shea and Deegan are the only first time call-up's.

Gather round
06/10/2008, 3:01 PM
Is Gary Deegan any relation to Mick who played LoI and Irish League in the 80s? I think he may have won an all-Ireland medal too?

OneRedArmy
06/10/2008, 3:11 PM
Do no harm to spread it around the country a bit, always Dalymount. Longford would have been best.[end Dublin gets everything rant]
Flancare has gone to the dogs badly. I'd be surprised if it would be sanctioned for internationals of any type anymore.

Réiteoir
06/10/2008, 3:13 PM
Flancare has gone to the dogs badly. I'd be surprised if it would be sanctioned for internationals of any type anymore.

Think the only grounds that can be used are Dalymount, Tolka, Turners X & Terryland.

Although I may stand to be corrected

Longfordian
06/10/2008, 3:22 PM
Flancare recently co-hosted an U17 International tournament and got a glowing report. It's up to UEFA Licence standard.

dublinwanderer
06/10/2008, 4:22 PM
Ger Rowe should be no where near the squad, he has been muck all season... Pathetic choice by Fenlon. Just shows how much research and scouting Fenlon has actually done to pick this squad...

irishultra
06/10/2008, 4:32 PM
Who would people rather in the team?

sligofan4ever
06/10/2008, 5:17 PM
Surprised he chose Ger Rowe ahead of so many other young strikers in the league with such a terrible season he has had. He could've went for some in-form strikers like Padraig Amond for example.

gaffer 2008
06/10/2008, 5:24 PM
Ger Rowe should be no where near the squad, he has been muck all season... Pathetic choice by Fenlon. Just shows how much research and scouting Fenlon has actually done to pick this squad...

considering Fenlon has guided a team to the top of the league i'd imagine that his scouting and researching network is fine. How else do you explain the 19 point lead and restricting the entire leagues strikers to just nine goals this season. Or maybe it's just pure luck!

superfrank
06/10/2008, 6:05 PM
It's well known that Ger Rowe is a favourite of Fenlon's. That's why he is in the squad.

finnpark
06/10/2008, 8:15 PM
It's well known that Ger Rowe is a favourite of Fenlon's. That's why he is in the squad.

Yeah Fenlon is Rowe's ex boyfriend

pete
06/10/2008, 9:36 PM
I would guess will be something along these lines.

Barry Murphy Shamrock Rovers

Conor Powell Bohemians

John Paul Kelly Bohemians
Stephen Rice Shamrock Rovers
Gary Deegan Bohemians

Mark Quigley St. Patrick’s Athletic
Denis Behan Cork City

U23 seems to be quasi International match so would be surprised if airport thing an issue - I think that is only when U21s linked to Senior internationals anyway.

Terryland or Turners Cross would have best although not many players from those local sides which might affect attendance.

bellavistaman
07/10/2008, 1:07 PM
What about daryl kavanagh is he underage, if he is he is a must lads, gifted, gaynor would be better than rowe too.

brianw82
07/10/2008, 5:53 PM
Surprised that Paul Keegan is underage, always thought he was in his thirties by the look of him!

Flexy
07/10/2008, 8:01 PM
Can Niall McGinn of Derry not play for the Under 23's hes been awesome this year

Dyl10
07/10/2008, 8:06 PM
considering Fenlon has guided a team to the top of the league i'd imagine that his scouting and researching network is fine.

3 managers have won the EL in 3 years, who knew our league was filled with such talented managers? :D

holidaysong
07/10/2008, 8:09 PM
Can Niall McGinn of Derry not play for the Under 23's hes been awesome this year

Maybe his allegiances are with Northern Ireland?

thischarmingman
07/10/2008, 8:30 PM

Correct.

holidaysong
08/10/2008, 12:22 PM
Correct.

Has he been capped for them at any level?

MariborKev
08/10/2008, 12:24 PM

As a Gaah player from the heart of Tyrone, I doubt it.

Blue-Army
08/10/2008, 4:30 PM
is the game on TV?

Dodge
08/10/2008, 4:32 PM
Nope...

thischarmingman
08/10/2008, 6:49 PM
As a Gaah player from the heart of Tyrone, I doubt it.

Profile of Niall McGinn from DCFC website:

Niall came through the Youth system at Dungannon Swifts before signing a professional contract with the club in 2007. Stephen Kenny signed the winger in January 2008 and said at the time "He is a young player whom I regard as a good prospect for the future

Niall is a Northern Ireland U23 international, and was a prominent GAA player with Donaghmore and Tyrone U21s before signing on a full-time contract with City

In any case these days I'd expect players to put their career over issues of Northern/Southern nationality for the most part.

thischarmingman
08/10/2008, 6:51 PM
Has he been capped for them at any level?

Belgium U23 2-1 N Ireland U23

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/7139541.stm

KianD
08/10/2008, 7:12 PM
Think the only grounds that can be used are Dalymount, Tolka, Turners X & Terryland.

Although I may stand to be corrected

Did Buckley Park not hold something in the not so distant past? Dump except for the stands, well, the main stand... but nearly sure it had an international of some kind.

superfrank
08/10/2008, 7:32 PM
Buckley Park used to hold U-21's a few years ago, afaik.

DmanDmythDledge
08/10/2008, 7:59 PM
I would guess will be something along these lines.

Conor Powell Bohemians
O'Brien CB?:confused:

I was amazed if Conor Kenna didn't start seeing as he was man of the match in the last game. Peers I'd imagine would be the other CB.