PDA

View Full Version : 2009 A Championship

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sadloserkid
06/10/2008, 1:57 PM
Anybody able to confirm new teams? Apparently Tralee Dynamos are interested? I read here somewhere that Kilkenny City could be stepping back up there. Anybody else able to speculate?

HarpoJoyce
06/10/2008, 4:17 PM
Anybody able to confirm new teams? Apparently Tralee Dynamos are interested? I read here somewhere that Kilkenny City could be stepping back up there. Anybody else able to speculate?

That's a wonderful question. There are over 1200 Active users on the site at present..... Sorry about that.

I think that you are asking a little early. I remember the clubs in the early season sheild were added to later for the A Championship with other clubs including UCD (we had a note from our Daddy.).

Sporting Fingal went from 'A' preparation to First Divsion preparation very quickly. I mean clubs can adapt at short notice, some may be convinced by LoI arguments at a late stage.

sadloserkid
06/10/2008, 6:15 PM
That's a wonderful question. There are over 1200 Active users on the site at present..... Sorry about that.

That's a no from HarpoJoyce then. :)

gufcfan
12/10/2008, 3:32 AM
I would like to see some more teams give it a lash.

There are some decent clubs around the place, but few of them would have the appetite for it.

Perhaps a Mayo League selection of Castlebar Celtic would care to join?

Maybe FC Carlow will make the step up from U20's. I suppose they will have to see how they get on in that first...

oldyouth
15/10/2008, 2:42 PM
I know Wayside Celtic are gearing up for it. There new ground is coming along. 2009 might be a little early though.

tralee_dynamo
18/10/2008, 10:37 AM
We are in advanced stages with FAI at the moment and we are in the process of trying to obtain a club license. Ref: www.traleedynamos.com where there is lots of info on our progress to date. Heard other teams like Mullingar Town, Castlebar Celtic are also interested

oldyouth
18/10/2008, 11:02 AM
We are in advanced stages with FAI at the moment and we are in the process of trying to obtain a club license. Ref: www.traleedynamos.com where there is lots of info on our progress to date. Heard other teams like Mullingar Town, Castlebar Celtic are also interested
Great to see a better geographical spread of clubs coming along. Any pictures of your ground??

sadloserkid
19/10/2008, 4:10 PM

Would there be moves to pull in any/all of the players with LOI experience already (O'Mahony, Sugrue, Conway etc) or would you be going with your current crop?

gael353
19/10/2008, 6:20 PM
And Hennessy, two conways, Timmy Lynch, Guthrie, Keirns, McCarthy, Bocca etc but would they have to be paid large amounts such as they demand from present first division clubs????

tralee_dynamo
22/10/2008, 4:31 PM
Would there be moves to pull in any/all of the players with LOI experience already (O'Mahony, Sugrue, Conway etc) or would you be going with your current crop?
Yes, definitely. Wouldnt stand a chance unless we have some players with experience. Afew of the players mentioned are already playing with us, others are roumered to follow...hopefully!

sadloserkid
23/10/2008, 12:59 PM
Yes, definitely. Wouldnt stand a chance unless we have some players with experience. Afew of the players mentioned are already playing with us, others are roumered to follow...hopefully!

Good luck with it.

TheBoss
16/12/2008, 3:52 PM
A bit on their website
http://www.traleedynamos.com

DmanDmythDledge
16/12/2008, 5:10 PM
I know Wayside Celtic are gearing up for it. There new ground is coming along.
Is that at Goldenball or somewhere else?

superfrank
16/12/2008, 5:12 PM
AFAIK, somewhere else. They sold the Golden Ball for a princely sum a few years ago.

pineapple stu
16/12/2008, 5:35 PM
Any more info on that? They're still in the Golden Ball now anyway, and they're very much a community team, I would have thought, so any new ground would probably be relatively close by. Where are they off to, do you know?

Black and White
17/12/2008, 8:48 AM
Are there more Non-League sides aiming to join this next season...would ratehr see this happen and over time geting rid of the reserve league side of things...Mullingar have 2 top non league sides dont they should at least put one into this!

oldyouth
21/12/2008, 9:04 PM
Any more info on that? They're still in the Golden Ball now anyway, and they're very much a community team, I would have thought, so any new ground would probably be relatively close by. Where are they off to, do you know?
They are in their new grounds just up the road

http://www.waysideceltic.ie/News_new_ground.asp

ShnaeGuevara715
27/12/2008, 6:54 PM
Wayside are fairly close to Bray and small population (at present), is there really any point in putting them into the pyramid?

Surely it would make more sense to give a push a southside team with a better catchment area of its own, somewhere like Dun Laoghaire massive well off population, good transport etc... egg chaser territory or not lol. Maybe even a club that can get some use out of Leinsters new place in Donnybrook. Looks well

For instance (probably already posted somewhere)

http://www.kerryman.ie/sport/soccer/dynamos-granted-league-of-ireland-licence-1579158.html

Excellent move

superfrank
27/12/2008, 7:05 PM
Wayside have shown they can match the league sides in matches so I think they deserve a whack at being in the league. They do have a catchment area of sorts in Stepaside, Kiltiernan, Sandyford, etc.

Poor Student
27/12/2008, 10:36 PM
Wayside are fairly close to Bray and small population (at present), is there really any point in putting them into the pyramid?

Surely it would make more sense to give a push a southside team with a better catchment area of its own, somewhere like Dun Laoghaire massive well off population, good transport etc... egg chaser territory or not lol. Maybe even a club that can get some use out of Leinsters new place in Donnybrook. Looks well

For instance (probably already posted somewhere)

http://www.kerryman.ie/sport/soccer/dynamos-granted-league-of-ireland-licence-1579158.html

Excellent move

Anyone in Dun Laoghaire can hop on a 46A to Belfield or grab the DART to Bray. Similarly, UCD only play a short journey from Donnybrook.

ShnaeGuevara715
02/01/2009, 2:56 AM
Actually, what does it take; facilities/cash wise to get into and run a championship team? Can't be that pressing, i'd imagine it'd be the gallavanting around the country every week as opposed to just the province?

<i>(I'd love a joint North Kildare team to give Kildare County a good run for their money ;) lol)</i>

holidaysong
02/01/2009, 1:34 PM
As far as I remember, the entry fee alone is €5,000.

gilberto_eire
07/01/2009, 5:18 PM
Heard a rumour today from someone involved with Castlebar Celtic that they could be joining, meeting next week to discuss it, from what i took of it was that they got an offer and it was up to them now?!

holidaysong
07/01/2009, 9:59 PM
Last season the FAI were actively seeking and encouraging clubs to join. I'd assume it's the same this year..

pineapple stu
08/01/2009, 11:22 AM
There was an ad in one of the papers a few months back looking for new applicants. Seemed a strange way to invite clubs when it'd be cheaper just to write to them all.

holidaysong
08/01/2009, 1:29 PM
There was an ad in one of the papers a few months back looking for new applicants. Seemed a strange way to invite clubs when it'd be cheaper just to write to them all.

The FAI might have some rule that positions are advertised in national papers. That then leaves it open for new groups or clubs to form in order to take part.

gufc2000
19/01/2009, 1:51 PM
FC Carlow are supposed to be making the step-up next season. Best of luck to them if they do

wexfordseagull
20/01/2009, 12:06 PM
carlow fc are advertising for players to compete in the u 20 & A championship

TheBoss
20/01/2009, 2:01 PM
Here is the proof if anyone wanted it:
http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojmhidql

That makes Tralee Dynamos and FC Carlow the new teams so far.

hoop4life
21/01/2009, 1:30 PM
castlebar celtic suppose to be still debating whether to go into it next season or not

gufc2000
21/01/2009, 10:24 PM
Anyone know the format of this seasons 'A' Championship? Will it be starting In June again and will it just be the 2 groups of 8 teams again?

TheBoss
21/01/2009, 11:56 PM
I am sure it will start in June again, so far its 12 teams, the 10 Premier and 2 mentioned above. If it stays like that, its very likely 2 groups of 6. Maybe Limerick might enter again and maybe Castlebar, to make 2 groups of 7.

wexfordseagull
22/01/2009, 10:39 AM
you have forgotten,tullamore,salthill devon & kildare county,so that makes at least 15 sides,with maybe 1 or 2 ,1st division sides to be in the A championship

pineapple stu
22/01/2009, 11:00 AM
UCD too.

TheBoss
22/01/2009, 2:25 PM
I knew they were there, obviously the night air got to my head :D

holidaysong
22/01/2009, 4:17 PM
On Newstalk sports news earlier they said that they would be the title sponsor for the Newstalk A Championship, which will include 16 teams from around the country..

gufc2000
22/01/2009, 8:57 PM
This is a huge boost to the 'A' Championship. Lets hope this division can push on next season with the non-league sides being more competitive. Salthill and Tullamore didin't really hit the ground running last year but i'm sure last year's experience will stand to them this year

christo
24/01/2009, 11:21 PM
I see in the report on FC Carlow that an Alan Byrne scored for them, is this the same Alan Byrne that played for Kildare and Shelbourne?

TheBoss
24/01/2009, 11:27 PM
I think he is a U-20 player.

christo
25/01/2009, 7:32 PM
I think he is a U-20 player.

Yeah had a further look into it, on the FC Carlow website his name is Adam Byrne so I'm guessing not

steno
28/01/2009, 9:13 AM
I see in the report on FC Carlow that an Alan Byrne scored for them, is this the same Alan Byrne that played for Kildare and Shelbourne?

he's signed with Monaghan for the coming season.

culloty82
29/01/2009, 10:54 PM
If Cobh have no choice but to leave the First Division, could Dynamos upgrade to a First Division licence if they wanted? I know Fingal were moved up a division, but maybe they had both licences. I've nothing against other clubs, but it would be better that a Munster club would fill any vacancy.

WexCar
30/01/2009, 1:34 AM
would kildare not be first on the list to replace any first division team that cannot compete

steno
30/01/2009, 9:18 AM
Kildare County were asked by the FAI to apply for a first division licence just in case a while back.

tralee_dynamo
31/01/2009, 3:51 PM
If Cobh have no choice but to leave the First Division, could Dynamos upgrade to a First Division licence if they wanted? I know Fingal were moved up a division, but maybe they had both licences. I've nothing against other clubs, but it would be better that a Munster club would fill any vacancy.

Dont think we would be ready yet. Gearing up for the A-Championship this season now so its all systems go. Looking forward to watching LOI football in Kerry at last. Hope we get good support!

CSFShels
31/01/2009, 8:54 PM
Really hope it gets to the point where the A Championship is fully made up of teams that aren't just the reserves of the Premier sides. Could definitely be just what the league needs to create some sort of spark. A real national presence. 3 tiers instead of just 2.

gufc2000
01/02/2009, 1:14 PM
Really hope it gets to the point where the A Championship is fully made up of teams that aren't just the reserves of the Premier sides. Could definitely be just what the league needs to create some sort of spark. A real national presence. 3 tiers instead of just 2.
Definitely. If we could even get a ten team non-league 'a' championship it would be great. I'm sure there is teams out there. We already have Tullamore, Kildare, Tralee, Carlow, Salthill, and teams like Castlebar, Mullingar, Portlaoise, Wayside Celtic, a Meath representative, Fanad Utd, Kilkenny City could be persuaded to join.

holidaysong
02/02/2009, 12:29 PM
Would the costs in a 10 team 'non' league A Championship not be up there with running a First Division club? If so then I wouldn't see too much point in doing that, I'd prefer to just see an expansion in the league itself..

gufc2000
02/02/2009, 8:43 PM
Would the costs in a 10 team 'non' league A Championship not be up there with running a First Division club? If so then I wouldn't see too much point in doing that, I'd prefer to just see an expansion in the league itself..
That i'd agree with aswell. A ten team Premier is definitely not enough, 12 should be a minimum. If there was to be a non league A championship then it would more likely be amateur, and just have teams playing each other twice

Black and White
02/02/2009, 9:53 PM
And let there be a continued Playoff with the bottom of the 1sdt divison, it would result in the bootom sides in the 1st divison actaully giving it a real go and would give the amateur sides a chance to make a step up and to give their younger players a chance against bigger teams to impress and maybe earn a deal in the future, look at Wexford, they have done well for an amateur team since they came in.They havn't finished above part time set ups in both their years in the divison!