PDA

View Full Version : 2009 A Championship

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

TheBoss
02/02/2009, 9:27 PM
In reality, I would like to see a 14 to 16 team Premier Division, which would make 26-30 game season, each team playing each other twice instead of 3 or 4 times. After that, the First Division, I would like to see about 12-14 teams, again playing each other twice and a third tier, I would like to see the 4 provinces here, 4 winners of the league combined with the bottom 2 in the First Division to make 2 groups of 3, and winner of each group goes into the First Division.

gufc2000
02/02/2009, 9:42 PM
In reality, I would like to see a 14 to 16 team Premier Division, which would make 26-30 game season, each team playing each other twice instead of 3 or 4 times. After that, the First Division, I would like to see about 12-14 teams, again playing each other twice and a third tier, I would like to see the 4 provinces here, 4 winners of the league combined with the bottom 2 in the First Division to make 2 groups of 3, and winner of each group goes into the First Division.
Sounds good, competitive and workable. The day of teams playing each other 3/4 times plus possible cup clashes has to go

culloty82
03/02/2009, 7:51 AM
There might be some benefit in playing reserve teams for clubs adjusting to senior football, but I agree that the League could do with another ten clubs. One of the reasons the League hasn't realised its full potential is that many counties remain unrepresented, so if strong clubs from Mayo Roscommon, Tipp, Clare and Laois to name but a few places were drafted in, the local rivalries would generate strong interest. Maybe two sixteen-team divisions would give the best of both worlds?

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 10:31 AM
In reality, I would like to see a 14 to 16 team Premier Division, which would make 26-30 game season
26 games is far too few, unless you have some sort of lead up tournament.

Paddywhackspurs
03/02/2009, 12:28 PM
Any news on the licence for the clubs

crc
03/02/2009, 12:45 PM
26 games is far too few, unless you have some sort of lead up tournament.
I think 26 would be a good amount if you make up the 5 or 6 games in another competition like the League Cup. You could add a full regionalised group stage, for example. Or a better Setanta Cup (i.e. play games at the weekend rather than Mondays and Tuesdays).

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 12:58 PM
No-one goes to League Cup games though. It's been held as a season starter before. You need a minimum of 33 league games to keep the money coming in and to get the best chance of catching the public's interest.

Schumi
03/02/2009, 1:07 PM
A small reduction by eliminating the 2 or 3 midweek games wouldn't make as much of a difference so 16 teams might be doable. The quality probably isn't there though.

galwayhoop
03/02/2009, 1:25 PM
the current structure i.e. 10 team prem div, 12 team first and then an A division made up mostly of non-league teams (maybe 8 or 10) playing on an amateur basis with the option of prem and first div teams entering teams (3 or 4 of the bigger clubs) into it would be a good start imo.

obviously there is better ideas out there but most workable at the current moment.

Black and White
05/02/2009, 7:46 PM
Should follow the structure of the Scottish premier league, the split for the 4th time you play teams, what is it 33 games or something like that you play?

pineapple stu
06/02/2009, 8:39 AM
That's been tried before. Poor system, I think. Probably more dead games, ironically. Teams who finish one point off the top half are done out of a chance to make a late run for Europe, but have no chance of going down. Also leads to situations of three home games and one away game against a club, or vice versa.

gufc2000
06/02/2009, 3:53 PM
League spilts don't work, as some teams are merely going through the motions for the last few weeks of the season. In an ideal world, there would be a 16 team Premier with 30 games and a 12 team First.

hoop4life
06/02/2009, 5:33 PM
99% sure that castlebar celtic will be playing in the a championship this season. great news and good to have eircom league clubs back in celtic park after the way that we were treated in not being let play in the u20 league last season. new pitch built and now more than likely an eircom league club. great few months for celtic!!:)

gufc2000
06/02/2009, 6:08 PM
99% sure that castlebar celtic will be playing in the a championship this season. great news and good to have eircom league clubs back in celtic park after the way that we were treated in not being let play in the u20 league last season. new pitch built and now more than likely an eircom league club. great few months for celtic!!:)
Any info or pictures of new pitch?

hoop4life
06/02/2009, 6:26 PM

no pictures but it is a 3rd generation astroturf pitch, full size, fully floodlit. once we get licence it is fit to play any level games. fantastic surface. massive asset for celtic. we were paying a couple of grand a year to mayo league to train on their astroturf but our pitch is now going every night of the week.

gufc2000
06/02/2009, 8:16 PM
no pictures but it is a 3rd generation astroturf pitch, full size, fully floodlit. once we get licence it is fit to play any level games. fantastic surface. massive asset for celtic. we were paying a couple of grand a year to mayo league to train on their astroturf but our pitch is now going every night of the week.
Well I wish ye the best of luck, no harm for another bit of rivalry out West!

hoop4life
06/02/2009, 10:02 PM
Well I wish ye the best of luck, no harm for another bit of rivalry out West!

thanks!! lost 11 players players to ye, mervue and sligo last year. they dont have to leave now to get eircom league football. have some young excellent young players coming through here.

gilberto_eire
07/02/2009, 8:51 PM
thanks!! lost 11 players players to ye, mervue and sligo last year. they dont have to leave now to get eircom league football. have some young excellent young players coming through here.

Boyler will be banging them in this year :)

chimpster
09/02/2009, 9:33 PM
I like the way the A-league is shaping up, more teams coming through this year. I say let them find their feet and then merge with the First Div and split north/south to reduce costs. Could make the whole thing much more financially sustainable. For example:

Premier Div:
Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Galway United, St Patricks Ath, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers

First Div (N):
Athlone Town, Castlebar Celtic, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Mervue United, Monaghan Utd, Salthill Devon, Shelbourne, Sporting Fingal, Tullamore Town

First Div (S):
FC Carlow, Cobh Ramblers, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Limerick, Tralee Dynamoes, UCD, Waterford United, Wayside Celtic, Wexford Youths

IF more teams come through (e.g. Mullingar, Clonmel, Fanad), the First Divs can be beefed up by reducing from 4 rounds of matches to 3. Thoughts???

gufc2000
09/02/2009, 9:38 PM
I like the way the A-league is shaping up, more teams coming through this year. I say let them find their feet and then merge with the First Div and split north/south to reduce costs. Could make the whole thing much more financially sustainable. For example:

Premier Div:
Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Galway United, St Patricks Ath, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers

First Div (N):
Athlone Town, Castlebar Celtic, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Mervue United, Monaghan Utd, Salthill Devon, Shelbourne, Sporting Fingal, Tullamore Town

First Div (S):
FC Carlow, Cobh Ramblers, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Limerick, Tralee Dynamoes, UCD, Waterford United, Wayside Celtic, Wexford Youths

IF more teams come through (e.g. Mullingar, Clonmel, Fanad), the First Divs can be beefed up by reducing from 4 rounds of matches to 3. Thoughts???

Would another Dublin team be viable? I don't think so, but I do like your idea. Crowds may benefit through more local derbies, and it would be easier for away fans travelling to games as they wouldn't have as far to travel.

chimpster
10/02/2009, 10:12 AM
Would another Dublin team be viable?

I think its vital. I'm no Dub, but the population of the capital is large and the bigger clubs need some feeder clubs to help players make the step up from LSL.

culloty82
10/02/2009, 1:00 PM

Premier Div:

First Div (N):

First Div (S):

Definitely agree that the "A" clubs need to be given full League membership, as that's their ultimate aim in joining in the first place. Also your regional divisions could definitely work, as the likes of Dynamos, Carlow and Salthill are ambitious, but are lacking the funds to play in a national league at the moment.

hoop4life
10/02/2009, 1:46 PM

Premier Div:

First Div (N):

First Div (S):

i agree that that is a very good idea. would cut down travelling expenses big time and also the new clubs like ourselves and tralee would be playing teams more of our own equal like tullamore, salthill and mervue.
best idea i have heard so far!!

holidaysong
10/02/2009, 2:11 PM
An idea that has been proposed before and probably the one I like the best.

Sheridan
10/02/2009, 2:11 PM
I've been flying that kite since about 2003!

irishyop
10/02/2009, 3:28 PM

Not fully completed pics but they give an idea :ball:

http://www.castlebarceltic.com/default.asp?nc=8114&id=509

Please note that the 4 recruits in the pics are not our defensive 4. Digger, tractor, dumper and hi-mac were just there doing the ground work ;)

Will see if I can get a few pics, due up there Sunday for a game.

oldyouth
10/02/2009, 5:03 PM

Premier Div:

First Div (N):

First Div (S):

In principle, it looks like the solution, but there is one problem. Promotion and relegation could soon become an issue should a geographical imbalance occur, leading to a new 'shuffle' of the the 2 first division groups. In my opinion, 4 rounds of matches is too much and people get bored of the same opposition on a regular basis.

My solution would be a 16 team 1st division, play eachother twice and have no midweek matches. 2 automatic promotion places, and 2 relegation to the A Championship. The 1st division is the second tier of our country and you should be able to afford those costs, if you want to play in it

holidaysong
10/02/2009, 5:15 PM
In principle, it looks like the solution, but there is one problem. Promotion and relegation could soon become an issue should a geographical imbalance occur, leading to a new 'shuffle' of the the 2 first division groups.

That already occurs in the Blue Square North and South in England and isn't a problem.

TheBoss
10/02/2009, 5:35 PM
That does look a viable option, I think that has to be considered. As I said in my proposal, I would like the Promotion and Relegation to extend to the Provincial leagues and Junior Leagues, to give them something to play for and they can always accept not to be promoted if they wish not to be.

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 8:48 AM
That already occurs in the Blue Square North and South in England and isn't a problem.
It occurs in lots of leagues. The Spanish third division is regionalised, as is the Belgian third flight, the German fourth division, etc. The whole point of the system is that teams aren't bound to one division or the other, but that there's a new north/south split every year.

HarpoJoyce
11/02/2009, 11:20 AM
Portlaoise AFC are seriously considering entry to the LOI 'A' Championship.

Article on their previous entry to U21 League 2007
http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=cwgbcwkfsn

De Bruns Combined Counties Football League Tables
http://www.ccfl.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=573&Itemid=27

Voted club of the CCFL club of the year for 2006 [after Edit]
http://archives.tcm.ie/laoisnationalist/2006/06/08/story23065.asp

holidaysong
11/02/2009, 12:55 PM
It occurs in lots of leagues. The Spanish third division is regionalised, as is the Belgian third flight, the German fourth division, etc. The whole point of the system is that teams aren't bound to one division or the other, but that there's a new north/south split every year.

Yeah I know that, I was just using the English league as an example that's close to home. :)

holidaysong
11/02/2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone know the closing date for applying for a place in the 2009 A Championship?

gufc2000
11/02/2009, 3:44 PM
Portlaoise AFC are seriously considering entry to the LOI 'A' Championship.

Article on their previous entry to U21 League 2007
http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=cwgbcwkfsn

De Bruns Combined Counties Football League Tables
http://www.ccfl.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=573&Itemid=27

Voted club of the CCFL club of the year for 2008
http://archives.tcm.ie/laoisnationalist/2006/06/08/story23065.asp

Lets hope they do. The more non-league sides in there will enhance the competition

Mr A
11/02/2009, 4:04 PM
The thing I wonder about is the FAI cup. I believe clubs in the A championship should be coming in at the round before the league clubs enter. Has anyone heard any plans surrounding the cup competitions?

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 4:11 PM
That's what happened last year alright (bar Tullamore, who didn't enter). The same number of junior and intermediate teams enter the Cup as well, with 2n of them entering the First Round, where n is the number of A League teams entering.

Mr A
11/02/2009, 4:30 PM
They did? I thought that last year sort of came too soon and the A championship clubs could not compete at all.

Anyhoo, they should get a crack at the league cup as well- why not sure?

pineapple stu
12/02/2009, 9:39 AM
Thought they did anyway.

Edit - it was Mervue who pulled out. Tullamore and Salthill both lost in the second round, and there were two first round ties. Link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAI_Cup_2008)

culloty82
12/02/2009, 12:57 PM
According to this week's Kerry's Eye, both the Kerry League and Tralee Dynamos will play in the League Cup, with Dynamos already having been included in the FAI Cup since last month. Dynamos will probably struggle to finish above last the first few seasons, the original plan was for the Kerry League to go senior, but when the under-20 league was restricted to clubs, they decided to go it alone.

http://www.kerryseye.com/sports.html

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 3:52 PM
At the moment the 'A' Champlooks like this:

Bohemians A
Cork A
Derry A
Dundalk A
St Pats A
Drogheda A
Galway A
Shamrock Rovers A
Sligo A
Bray A
UCD A

Kildare County/Cobh
Tralee
Salthill
FC Carlow
Tullamore
Castlebar (i think)

Still potential add ons (Kilkenny? Portlaoise?)
Will any First Division sides apart from UCD be entering an A-team?

chimpster
12/02/2009, 5:24 PM
Agree with you there except i wouldnt have as many as 10 new clubs.
Lets see the new clubs this year are Tralee,Castlebar and Carlow added on to Tullamore,Mervue and Salthill.
In there i would add Ennis,Mullingar and Portlaoise and a ressurected Kilkenny.

Not sure if there'll be a Clare club for some time. The talent is there, but I think Lifford have had some problems since their time in the U21 league, and the Clare League haven't done anything that front yet. Unless Avenue Utd or someone else can get something together, it could be a year or three yet...

pineapple stu
12/02/2009, 5:53 PM
Im probably getting slashed for this but the long term structure i'd like to see are 3 tiers of 30 clubs with 10 clubs in each,Premier League(Full Time),First Division(Part Time),and Second division(Amatuer Representative working towards Part Time)
You will get slashed for it because you've been told time and again that (a) there isn't enough interest for ten full time clubs and (b) what division you're in shouldn't be the sole deciding factor in being part-time or full-time.

First Division North and South would be my preference. And any sustainable team who wants to be part of the league should be more than welcome; none of this kicking Salthill out nonsense.

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 6:35 PM
Agree with you there except i wouldnt have as many as 10 new clubs.
Lets see the new clubs this year are Tralee,Castlebar and Carlow added on to Tullamore,Mervue and Salthill.
In there i would add Ennis,Mullingar and Portlaoise and a ressurected Kilkenny.
I would get rid of mervue and salthill we already have a club from galway so lets just stick with them.

Im probably getting slashed for this but the long term structure i'd like to see are 3 tiers of 30 clubs with 10 clubs in each,Premier League(Full Time),First Division(Part Time),and Second division(Amatuer Representative working towards Part Time)

I think the A teams of premier clubs should be in a seperate league,a reserve league and not playing with non league teams.

I consider this a little harsh. Its not as if teams are queing up to enter the A-League. Just throwing them out cos there is already a team from Galway.
I realise that 3 Galway clubs are not viable but they can act as feeder clubs and help give younger and junior players some LOI experience.
Unless you've ready made replacements I would advise you not to lambast Galway Junior clubs

hoop4life
12/02/2009, 7:03 PM
Castlebar (i think)

castlebar celtic definetley in it next year. official statement on this weeks connaught telegraph and also on celtic official website www.castlebarceltic.com (http://www.castlebarceltic.com)

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 7:07 PM
I see that the 2009 A Championship will be divided into Northern and Southern Groups.

DmanDmythDledge
12/02/2009, 7:08 PM
Will any First Division sides apart from UCD be entering an A-team?
Where did you hear this?

I see that the 2009 A Championship will be divided into Northern and Southern Groups.
As it was last year.

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 7:14 PM
Where did you hear this?

As it was last year.

It was on the UCD forum

I don't remember that. e.g. Mervue and Galway were in opposite groups.
Surely if it was regionalised they would be in the sane group

holidaysong
12/02/2009, 7:17 PM
It was on the UCD forum

I don't remember that. e.g. Mervue and Galway were in opposite groups.
Surely if it was regionalised they would be in the sane group

Mervue and Salthill were in the Northern group with Galway in the Southern one. With Galway to Dublin being the half way line, clubs in Dublin were also split between the two groups.

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 7:34 PM
Mervue and Salthill were in the Northern group with Galway in the Southern one. With Galway to Dublin being the half way line, clubs in Dublin were also split between the two groups.
O right, i didn't realise that

DmanDmythDledge
12/02/2009, 7:40 PM
It was on the UCD forum
Do you have a link because I never saw anything saying that and just had a quick check there too.