PDA

View Full Version : Drop McGeady or Hunt against Cyprus?

Brendan 82
06/10/2008, 1:09 AM
Assuming the most likely occurs, that Giovanni Trappatoni sticks with a 4-4-2 system, it would appear that either Hunt or McGeady will be dropped. Duff, now fit, is undoubtedly first choice for the left side of midfield. Keane and Doyle will be the front two. ???

irishultra
06/10/2008, 1:38 AM
McGeady definetly. He's back on form, and it will be interesting to see how he does against an average team at home.

Time to shine for him. These are the games where he needs and should be making a difference.

Colbert Report
06/10/2008, 5:17 AM
I love Hunt but I agree with irishultra. McGeady to start on the RW and show us what he can do. If he's not playing well, sub him off after 65 minutes and give Hunt a run.

BigmanCas
06/10/2008, 6:23 AM
Hunt is a nothing player and has proved that he is not international class, bottom line!!! Mc Geady is beginning to play well again and deserves his place.

Reality Bites
06/10/2008, 7:33 AM
McGeady everytime

gspain
06/10/2008, 7:55 AM
Duff has to start.

I'd play McGeady. Hunt seems to be a better player off the bench. He also tracks back better but I'd start McGeady.

elroy
06/10/2008, 8:57 AM
Duff is a definite starter and i think will be our match winner next week. McGeady also will play with Hunt missing out. Anyone else think Noel Hunt deserves a call up??

Few of the papers yesterday speculating that in the absence of S Reid, Trap will play Whelan and..........Miller :eek: :eek: in midfield

Dodge
06/10/2008, 9:01 AM
Few of the papers yesterday speculating that in the absence of S Reid, Trap will play Whelan and..........Miller :eek: in midfield

What? No Fahey? :D :p

third policeman
06/10/2008, 9:12 AM
Duff is a definite starter and i think will be our match winner next week. McGeady also will play with Hunt missing out. Anyone else think Noel Hunt deserves a call up??

Few of the papers yesterday speculating that in the absence of S Reid, Trap will play Whelan and..........Miller :eek: :eek: in midfield

Given the midfield options available to us, the selection of this combination in a vitally important qualifer would merit the establishment of an official Tribunal of Enquiry.

ifk101
06/10/2008, 9:14 AM
Hunt played against Georgia and Montenegro because Duff was injured.

The game against Montenegro showed how limited Hunt is. Yes he'll run and give 100% for the team but he doesn't have the guile and skill required to be an international standard winger.

McGeady and Duff to start.

tetsujin1979
06/10/2008, 10:03 AM
When Duff has been available, Hunt has not started in place of him. I can't see this changing against Cyprus.
IMO Hunt has had more of an impact on the game as a substitute, running at tired defenders. He's a decent squad player, and I'm glad to see him in the squad, but he's nowhere near the quality of Duff

Irish_Praha
06/10/2008, 4:06 PM

No way, please that would be as bad or even worse than a Kilbane-Ireland CMF (for different reasons of course); and we all know how that ended.
It's got to be A.Reid with Whelan or Carsley.
Will be interesting to see if Carsley is actally included in the squad.

Fergie's Son
06/10/2008, 4:09 PM
Is Reid definitely out?

Looks like Miller may not make it either according to some reports this morning.

We lost the midfield in Cyprus so I do feel that we need another combative midfielder. Can Whelan do it by himself or do we need a Carlsley?

irishultra
06/10/2008, 4:11 PM
Chris McCann wasn't in under-21 squad, perhaps him?

I really think its McCann or Fahey in the Irish squad.

irishfan86
07/10/2008, 11:29 PM
At one point when Duff never seemed to be fit and was playing at a mediocre level at best I advocated for Hunt to start ahead of him.

Now that I've had a chance to see Hunt start for Ireland, I've definitely changed my mind on this matter- Duff has to start given his current form for Newcastle, and I'd say McGeady should start on the right. If we have the lion's share of possession his trickery could generate a goal or two for us on the night.

Lenny82
08/10/2008, 8:02 AM
Felt sorry for McGeady in the last 2 qualifiers as he was targetted as the danger man and had 3 or 4 players on him as soon as he got the ball, in saying that, Hunt had alot more time on the ball but produced nothing. Would have to go for Duff and McGeady on the wing with Hunt to replace either of them with 20-25 minutes to go as this is when he is at his most dangerous.

It would be awful to see Miller in Centre Midfield ahead of Andy Reid. Miller has only played about an hours football in the league this year and although Whelan has looked great in centre midfield, playing without S. Reid might show him up.

Right back is another concern with Finnan out. I'm never confident when I see McShane in a green shirt but I think he will start.

Brendan 82
08/10/2008, 3:26 PM
I don't have really any problem with McShane starting at right back. He looked solid in the two Premiership games I have watched him play for Hull. With Finnan and Kelly out it picks itself really.

I'd be much more concerned over the central midfield partnership. Looks like it will be Miller and Whelan. Don't know what to say about that one really. We seem to have a glut of "upcoming" central midfielders yet we are going into this game with two lads who are not getting picked at club level. It is a bit scary but I hope they have enough to pick up three points and hopefully S. Reid is back in time for the next competitive match.

stojkovic
08/10/2008, 8:20 PM
I would not be surprised if Trap played Hunt in centre mid.

Hasnt he played there for Reading.

tetsujin1979
08/10/2008, 10:33 PM

Only a handful of times. I would be shocked if Trap played him in centre midfield, he hasn't done so in any of the games so far, and moving him to centre midfield would remove the cover for McGeady and Duff. I can see at least one of them getting substituted before the end of the game.

tricky_colour
08/10/2008, 10:51 PM
Championship team of the week.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/aa/13/0,,10794~136106,00.pdf

Scram
09/10/2008, 4:55 PM

I would be shocked :eek: Giving the ball away 50% of the time you have it, on the left side of the opposition box is one thing, in the center of midfield though is not something you will get away with.

tricky_colour
09/10/2008, 7:45 PM
He has got 4 goals this season, as has Noel, include Doyle and thats 16 goals in 10 games. So Hunt and Doyle is 12 goals between the.
I think McGeady has 1 in 8.
How about Hunt and Doyle up front with Keane dropped in behind with Whelan/Reid or whatever, and Duff and Mcgeady on the wings????

It would either work :D or be a total disaster :eek:

Danger is we get left with no defense.

I got a free bet from betfair, they phoned me up out of the blue and just gave me a £5 free bet (at least I hope it is free, the money seems to have gone from my account though!!) I stuck it on Ireland at 30/100.
Hope it was not some sort of scam, but I think he said I get my £5 back win or lose.

Just realised we drew at home last tme, I am a bit worried about my fiver now!!
The draw was the value bet at 6-1 ish