PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1 Drogheda 0

Poor Student
05/10/2008, 9:34 AM
May as well put up a thread about this game. I thought the lads put in a great performance. So often this season we've failed with the simple things like finding a blue shirt with a simple five yard pass or receiving such an easy pass with a decent first touch. Our simple play was solid and good things flowed as a result and for one of the only times this season we played as I imagine this collection of individuals could. You could argue that Drogheda were poor and looked disinterested but we have played badly against poor sides too often this season.

Full marks must go to Brian King, he was tenacious and that goal epitomised his performance and style. Special mentioned should also go to Podge who romped down the left wing on more than one occasion. Also, Matt Gregg's outstanding save before half time secured the three points as much as anything as well as putting in a confident and assured performance in general under pressure.

I hope the performance had more to do with our own camp than Drogheda's as we'll need five more like it to contemplate surivival.

HarpoJoyce
05/10/2008, 11:07 AM
May as well put up a thread about this game......

Some of us are superstitious you know.

That's a quality post Poor Student so obviously I won't mention anything I agree with only the small detail I disagree with. No I agree on the players mentioned, we had to raise our game so much and just squeeked by them. However Drogheda players are bigger then I remember them. I think because of the opposition and we were able to keep the ball and pass it through the team and create changes it was the best League performance so far.

Your 'Five wins needed' amuses me because last week (broadcast on MNS) after the game Pete Mahon said he thought we needed three wins from six. In the studio, Tony McDonnell (expert relegation avoider) said he thought four was a more accurate target.
I believe Finn Harps will continue to collect points and Galway and Cobh will continue on their unbeaten/nearly unbeaten runs. I can tell you more privately.

About playing as you believe we could, we have hung on to the ball for long periods before including positive end results. Because we havn't scored many goals. I remember, twice on MNS the highlights commentary mentioned a 15(?) pass move incl. several players and a 9(?) pass move before a goal. I'll dig them up if you like. But this match included a win which was great.

Drogheda Utd. used their strenghs during the game and dominated for periods in each half, but to see them finally revert to passing back to the 'keeper twice in the last few minutes was heartening.

Poor Student
05/10/2008, 12:17 PM
Your 'Five wins needed' amuses me because last week (broadcast on MNS) after the game Pete Mahon said he thought we needed three wins from six. In the studio, Tony McDonnell (expert relegation avoider) said he thought four was a more accurate target.
I believe Finn Harps will continue to collect points and Galway and Cobh will continue on their unbeaten/nearly unbeaten runs.

I said five performances.;) I reckon we'll need to be sharp to even take a point off Pat's or Bohs. I won't even speculate on how many points are need to stay up but we'll need to beat Galway and Cobh and at least not lose to Rovers.

pineapple stu
06/10/2008, 12:36 PM
:) :)

I hope the performance had more to do with our own camp than Drogheda's as we'll need five more like it to contemplate surivival.
I think it was both, to be honest. Yes, we weer back to the way we used to be - solid defending, winning everything in the air (Conor Kenna's clearances need working on though!), passing the ball nicely and causing trouble with our pacy forwards from which very little ultimately came. Drogheda were lucky to end with 11 men after their keeper's foul somewhere near the half way line on Timmy - ridiculous decision not to send him off.

But dear God, Drogheda were horrendously bad. How a club can spend so much money (8 times our budget?) and be that bad is almost beyond belief. It actually looked like almost any other UCD game except with the roles reversed - they weren't talking to each other, left balls to each other, miscontrolled simple passes.

Trust Cobh and Galway to spoil the weekend to an extent. However, Harps are the ones we're worried about, and they lost, which is the important thing. Need to keep the performance up for the next six weeks though...

John83
06/10/2008, 12:45 PM
Well done Pete and the lads. I missed this one, but I'm looking forward to visiting Tolka (for the last time?!) on Friday now.

pineapple stu
06/10/2008, 12:48 PM
Looking forward to a game. When was the last time you could say that?

John83
06/10/2008, 12:58 PM
Looking forward to a game. When was the last time you could say that?
April.