PDA

View Full Version : Kings Of Leon-Only By The Night

Rovers1
04/10/2008, 8:12 PM
anyone buy it?

i think its a very decent album, although not as good as Because Of The Times. IMO its high points are Closer, Use Somebody and Cold Desert.I dont buy into this bull that people think theyre becoming more "manufactured", if its good music...its good music.

The Optimist
04/10/2008, 8:23 PM
I was never a big fan of the Kings Of Leon.I've seen them live a few times but was never really blown away.
On the other hand the new album is excellent from start to finish.
I've heard people say its too radio friendly and commercial."So what" is what i think.

shakermaker1982
04/10/2008, 9:32 PM
I think they've tried to make an album that can fill stadiums/arena's. First 3 tracks are quality but it dips after that. Have to say I've enjoyed the recent Verve album more than the KOL latest effort.

KOL were a quality live band. I've seen them before they hit the big time at smaller sized gigs on numerous occasions and they have been brilliant. Last year however they played Nott'm arena and they were poor. Sound wasn't 'big enough', maybe that is why they took this direction for the new album.

SkStu
06/10/2008, 7:21 AM
bought the album last Thursday (along with the Verve (meh) and The Streets (fun) and Ben Folds (happy poppy).

Love it, just like Aha Shake Heartbreak and (to a lesser extent) Because of The Times, it can be played and replayed from start to finish, no tracks skipped. Use Somebody is immense - one of the best songs in years in my opinion. Cold Desert is beautiful. Sex on Fire is intense.

Every single album they have released is quality though this one is more "listener friendly" lets say. As herself put it, you can actually make out the lyrics now, the southern drawl is not as noticeable as previous efforts. I think it is intentional and more power to them. All that said, theyre probably the band of the decade for me, at this stage. This album reinforces it. f*ckin love em.

Regarding the live act comments, i can only draw on my own experience which was the farcical gig in Lansdowne supporting The Pixies. Couldnt even hear them. I blamed the wind taking the music but i think they would be more suited to an indoor venue.

pete
06/10/2008, 9:12 AM
Disappointed with first play, maybe it will grow on me.

Neish
06/10/2008, 2:40 PM
anyone buy it?

i think its a very decent album, although not as good as Because Of The Times. IMO its high points are Closer, Use Somebody and Cold Desert.I dont buy into this bull that people think theyre becoming more "manufactured", if its good music...its good music.

Got it last week, good but not great kind more chilled out or slower then there other albums. It may grow on me yet

Pauro 76
10/10/2008, 12:32 PM
Was a bit disappointed first few listens. I much prefer Because of the Times. But there's some real gems on this one, but 17 is a real stinker.