PDA

View Full Version : anyone feel

thecorner
06/10/2003, 6:24 PM
anyone feel that we are turning a corner with the national side
but............. a different corner

lot of players now in the lower divisions of england in our squad which cant be good for national side

Nick Colgan (Stockport)
Joe Murphy (West Bromwich)
Gary Breen (Sunderland)
Colin Healy (Sunderland)
Graham Kavanagh (Cardiff)
Stephen McPhail (Nottingham Forest)
David Connolly (West Ham)

also a lot of those that r playing with premiership clubs are even first team players

brine2
06/10/2003, 9:14 PM
Given

Carr - O'Brien - O'Shea - Finnan

Reid - Holland - Delap - Miller - Duff

Keane

There's a starting eleven playing regular first team football in the top division and in Europe.

Sure, there's bound to be some First Division players, but that's how it's always been. I don't think any steps backwards have been taken.

thecorner
07/10/2003, 1:54 AM
Originally posted by brine2
Given

Carr - O'Brien - O'Shea - Finnan

Reid - Holland - Delap - Miller - Duff

Keane

There's a starting eleven playing regular first team football in the top division and in Europe.

there was a time when the whole squad were all top-flight players

too many passengers now

petef
07/10/2003, 9:47 AM
Where as I dont think we have the depth of before the starting eleven is still relatively strong.

Gary
07/10/2003, 10:18 AM
I dunno, i think we have a decent squad.

Breen - Very good, under rated defender. rarely makes a mistake in the green of Ireland

Healy- No one was complaining when he was getting his game with Ireland even though Celtic were ignoring him. Now he is playing 1st team football in a team most likely getting promoted this season

Connolly-Scoring for fun at the moment.

Joe Murphy- Handy back up fpr given, ditto Colgan.

McPhail- doubt he'll figure, but some 1st team ball will help him immeasurably.

WEe'll be fine.

colster
07/10/2003, 11:46 AM
This is a different era to when Charlton took over.
When he took over I think that most of the squad were in the top flight and most of the team had won leagues/FA/League Cups or in Europe.
But that was a time where there weren't many foreigners in the English League.

Presently there are infinitely more foreign imports which means more competition for Irish players.
I think that it's a good sign that despite this competition we have maintained a high ratio of players in the top flight and in European football.

We are coping a lot better than the Scots, Welsh or N.Irish.

Of the players we have in the 1st division they are all playing for teams challenging at the top of the table. So next season we'll have an even higher proportion of players in the topflight if Sunderland, West Ham, Forrest, Cardiff or WBA are promoted.

John83
07/10/2003, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by colster
This is a different era to when Charlton took over.
When he took over I think that most of the squad were in the top flight and most of the team had won leagues/FA/League Cups or in Europe.
But that was a time where there weren't many foreigners in the English League.

Presently there are infinitely more foreign imports which means more competition for Irish players.
I think that it's a good sign that despite this competition we have maintained a high ratio of players in the top flight and in European football.

We are coping a lot better than the Scots, Welsh or N.Irish.

Of the players we have in the 1st division they are all playing for teams challenging at the top of the table. So next season we'll have an even higher proportion of players in the topflight if Sunderland, West Ham, Forrest, Cardiff or WBA are promoted.
Good points. The Welsh are doing pretty well though right now, don't forget. A lot of the younger players, like Andy Reid, Thomas Butler, Seán Thornton and even Colin Healy will benefit from playing regularly in Division one. If they're good enough, they'll get into the Premiership eventually. Remember Duff spent about 4 years in Div 1 with Blackburn.

Slash/ED
07/10/2003, 3:54 PM
I think we can field a very strong starting 11, even one of players playing in European competition if I'm not wrong, but our squad depth is relatively weak. thankfully, with alot of youngsters coming up, this shouldn't be a problem. To try and put my theory to the test, here's my all euro 11...

Gk - Given - UEFA cup.

Dl - Finnan - UEFA cup.

Dr - Dunne - UEFA cup.

Dc - O'Shea - Champions League.

Dc - O'Brien - UEFA cup.

Ml - Duff - Champions League

Mr - Reid - UEFA cup

Mc - Liam Miller - Champions League

Mc - Rory Delap - UEFA cup.

Fc -

Fc -

Falls down on the forwards alright, but we have Keane, Morrison and Connolly to fill those positions. Of those other 9, only 1 doesn't get their game regularly, and there's still some excellent players to be included, such as Steven Carr to take Dunnes place anyway, Matt Holland, Healy and the likes. For a starting 11, we're very strong, in my view, and that's what counts.

thecorner
07/10/2003, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
I think we can field a very strong starting 11, even one of players playing in European competition if I'm not wrong, but our squad depth is relatively weak. thankfully, with alot of youngsters coming up, this shouldn't be a problem. To try and put my theory to the test,

Dr - Dunne - UEFA cup.
Dc - O'Brien - UEFA cup.
Mr - Reid - UEFA cup
Mc - Liam Miller - Champions League
Mc - Rory Delap - UEFA cup.

good points and strong side
but which of these 5 will be starting
doubt if any will

but it is these players with euro experience that maybe we should be looking at

Slash/ED
07/10/2003, 6:28 PM
Delap, Reid and O'Brien are all fairly assured of their places. Strachan espically is a big fan of Delap, I remember him saying his injury was crucial in their poor end of season form last season. Miller is in and out but unfortunately, Dunne is miles off the City team.

sadloserkid
07/10/2003, 8:13 PM
I think by the end of the season we'll all have a much better idea as to Liam Miller's long-term potential. He's not a baby by any stretch (22 right?) and if he doesn't make it this year I'd wonder about him.

thecorner
07/10/2003, 8:51 PM
Delap, Reid and O'Brien are all fairly assured of their places.

thecorner
07/10/2003, 8:52 PM
Delap, Reid and O'Brien are all fairly assured of their places.

none of these will start saturday

Éanna
08/10/2003, 11:31 AM
Falls down on the forwards alright
wasn't glen crowe playing in Europe earlier this season :)

petef
08/10/2003, 12:34 PM
Funny one.

Shed End John
08/10/2003, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
I think by the end of the season we'll all have a much better idea as to Liam Miller's long-term potential. He's not a baby by any stretch (22 right?) and if he doesn't make it this year I'd wonder about him.

Last Saturdays Old Firm game was all the proof that was needed of Millers potential AND actual talent. A slip of a guy like him making his debut in, arguably, the worlds most emotionally charged fixture, and guess what? He absolutely lorded it over the 21 other players on that field. Chris Sutton getting Man of the Match was a joke.

Junior
08/10/2003, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
Last Saturdays Old Firm game was all the proof that was needed of Millers potential AND actual talent. A slip of a guy like him making his debut in, arguably, the worlds most emotionally charged fixture, and guess what? He absolutely lorded it over the 21 other players on that field. Chris Sutton getting Man of the Match was a joke.

Have to disagree, Miller played well, fitted in well and did not look out of place in his OF debut, but there were plenty ahead of him in terms of MOM Sutton and Agathe for starters, I thought Sutton was a good choice as MOM.

sadloserkid
08/10/2003, 4:49 PM
One game does not a player make. That's all I'm saying.

petef
08/10/2003, 9:34 PM
Defense was superb, out of position Sutton was great.

Slash/ED
08/10/2003, 9:42 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
none of these will start saturday

Ahh I thought you meant start for their clubs in Europe.

Yeah, well that's true, though I guess Reid has a good chance. Does the fact that we've players in Europe who are being kept out of the side not bode well for us though?

John83
09/10/2003, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by petef
Defense was superb, out of position Sutton was great.

He spent long enough as a centre half that it hardly counts as out of position now. Or did O'Neill play him in midfield again?

Junior
09/10/2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by John83
He spent long enough as a centre half that it hardly counts as out of position now. Or did O'Neill play him in midfield again?

yep, Hes played Centre Half before, but as far back as his Norwich city days he's been a striker who plays at the back in cases of emergency. To get MOM in a situation, where you haven't played as centre half with those around you, in a fixture such as this , is well worthy of praise in my opinion.

thecorner
09/10/2003, 2:45 PM
a topic about ireland and some prats change it to celtic chatroom:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Junior
09/10/2003, 2:51 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
a topic about ireland and some prats change it to celtic chatroom:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

foot.ie forum - talkin about football, whats yer bleedin problem.

oh yeah, its got 2 or three posts with the word C****C in it and you pipe up, unless you have anything worthy to add............

thought not.