PDA

View Full Version : Miller for Ireland Squad????

kevin.m
06/10/2003, 12:00 PM
I was just wondering whether people felt that Liam Miller should be included in the Ireland squad for the Swiss game. While I agree with the people who say that we cannot pin all our hopes and put so much pressure on someone so young and relatively inexperienced I do feel however that if you are good enough then your age should not be a consideration. While he might not have started I feel that he would be the perfect player to come off the bench with 15-20 minuted to go. The past week has shown that he can handle the pressure and I do not think there will be any more hostlie atmosphere than an Old Firm game at Ibrox which he handled great. Also worried that both Kinsella and Carsley are not getting regular first team football. I aso think that andy Reid shoud be in the squad as he could give us a good passing option from the bench.

Your views please....

pete
06/10/2003, 12:19 PM
Too early plus he not got much first team fooball experience. Big difference moving up to international level with only a few CL game as the SPL isn't even of english 1st division standard.

John83
06/10/2003, 12:20 PM
Plenty of people felt that Miller should have been included in the squad, but he wasn't. Kavanagh is a good enough alternative, and Miller will get his chance soon enough.

Is Kinsella even getting reserve football for Villa? Carsley isn't playing at all either. :(

Andy Reid is totally untried at the moment, even at Premiership level. He, like Miller, will get his chance soon enough, but to risk him for a vital game like this would be stupid when there are other options.

liamon
06/10/2003, 12:37 PM
He's certainly a better bet than Carsley.
He's played a fair bit of SPL this season and will at least be match fit. Plus, he's got a fair bit of experience with the U-21s and looked good in the Old Firm game. If you're good enough, age won't matter.
I'd have him in on the bench.

"You'll win nothing with kids".

City Gunner
06/10/2003, 12:40 PM
Judging by the way Ireland played against Russia, I think that due to our lack of imagination Miller should be given a chance. At least he is a player in form. Additionally most of the Iirsh players are of a Division One standard anyway (or they play that way sometimes) so I don't think Miller's lack of big game experience or the fact that he playsin the SPL should stand in his way.

colster
06/10/2003, 1:15 PM
You can't give Miller or Reid a chance in this game. OK Miller has played well in the SPL and CL but that's with players and a system that he has trained and played with for the last few months.
It's too big an ask for him to come into a team for a vital match and to get to know the system and players enough to make a contribution.
It's just daft.

I think Kerr is right not to include too many young players at this stage. The lads that are in the squad at the moment are by and large the best we have. Miller and Reid only offer us some potential which I fully expect to be given a chance in the spring friendlies.

I expect our lineup to be
Given,
Carr Breen O'Shea Harte
Duff Holland Healy Kilbane
Keane Connolly

John83
06/10/2003, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by colster
Given,
Carr Breen O'Shea Harte
Keane Connolly

Ditto.

Ozymandias
06/10/2003, 1:40 PM
I have this feeling the line up will be Given,carr,breen,oshea harte,kilbane healy hollad,duff,keane and the Doc

The doc could play becUSE THE SWISS WERE POOR IN THE AIR AGAINST RUSSIA.....WOULD RATHER SEE CONNOLLLY BUT i HAVE A FEELING kERR WILL GO WITH THE DOC....

John83
06/10/2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
I have this feeling the line up will be Given,carr,breen,oshea harte,kilbane healy hollad,duff,keane and the Doc

The doc could play becUSE THE SWISS WERE POOR IN THE AIR AGAINST RUSSIA.....WOULD RATHER SEE CONNOLLLY BUT i HAVE A FEELING kERR WILL GO WITH THE DOC....

Feed the donkey and he will score! :D

I'd not be too put off by Docherty's appearance on the pitch. He's our top scorer in the campaign, remember. I heard he's injured though.

BTW, what happened to his move to Div 1? I heard only today that he's still at Spurs.:confused:

Slash/ED
06/10/2003, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by John83
Is Kinsella even getting reserve football for Villa? Carsley isn't playing at all either. :(

Kinsella is a reserve alright, but Carsley is a regular in the first team with Everton. He started their last match and starts regularly under Moyes.

Sheridan
06/10/2003, 5:19 PM
Given,
Carr Breen O'Shea Harte
Keane Connolly
I just realised the terrifying fact that our team is built around Kevin Kilbane.

brine2
06/10/2003, 5:25 PM
Dear me, what does Ian Harte have to do to get dropped.

John83
06/10/2003, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by brine2
Dear me, what does Ian Harte have to do to get dropped.

Claim responsibility for Cunningham's last inernational booking.

ger121
06/10/2003, 6:19 PM
How come everytime an Irish player has a couple of half decent games for his club there is a clammer to get him into the International team??
It just goes to show you how small our player pool is. We have players like Kinsella, Morrison and Doherty who can't even get a kick of a ball for their clubs and they are automatic choices for every Irish squad. This would not happen in a lot of other countries regardless of size. Am I the only person who thinks this is odd?
We talk about players like Breen and Andy O'Brien being the rock of our defense for the game against the swiss, well the swiss strikers must be quaking in their boots. We are an ordinary team with ordinary players and have over achieved in recent years, due to a good team spirit and a couple of outstanding players.
I am not anti-Ireland, far from it, I just think we should inject a note of realism into our chances in Basle and not hope for to much.
No expectations no disappointments. I do expect to be slated for this post, that's ok, coz that's what forums are for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I will respect someone else's if they respect mine.

brine2
06/10/2003, 9:08 PM
We are an ordinary team with ordinary players and have over achieved in recent years, due to a good team spirit and a couple of outstanding players.

Yes, and this is exactly why we can't afford to ignore on-form players like Liam Miller.

Slash/ED
06/10/2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ger121
How come everytime an Irish player has a couple of half decent games for his club there is a clammer to get him into the International team??
It just goes to show you how small our player pool is. We have players like Kinsella, Morrison and Doherty who can't even get a kick of a ball for their clubs and they are automatic choices for every Irish squad. This would not happen in a lot of other countries regardless of size. Am I the only person who thinks this is odd?
We talk about players like Breen and Andy O'Brien being the rock of our defense for the game against the swiss, well the swiss strikers must be quaking in their boots. We are an ordinary team with ordinary players and have over achieved in recent years, due to a good team spirit and a couple of outstanding players.
I am not anti-Ireland, far from it, I just think we should inject a note of realism into our chances in Basle and not hope for to much.
No expectations no disappointments. I do expect to be slated for this post, that's ok, coz that's what forums are for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I will respect someone else's if they respect mine.

Jaysus, what a load of rubbish.

The whole players not getting their game thing can be used on anyone. Heskeys in and out of the Liverpool side, Vassell is a Villa sub and Rooneys played a handfull of premiership matches but it doesn't mean England are ****e, and how in the name of god is getting to the second round of the feckin world cup over achievement? Our squad may not be strong, but out starting 11 is, in my view...

Keane Morrison
Duff Delap Holland/Healy Reid
Finnan Cunningham O'Shea Carr
Given

Is a very strong starting line up. Morrison may be in and out of his Birmingham side but he's proven it at international level and that team should be aiming for higher then calling the second round of a major tournament 'over achievement', feckin hell, theres's some world class players in there! You're right in saying our squad is relatively thin but you make us sound like Northern Ireland or something. I think our starting 11 is quite strong to be honest.

petef
06/10/2003, 10:53 PM
Quite right. Were better than an ordinary team. Our record speaks volumes.

Lionel Hutz
07/10/2003, 2:37 AM
Cant see it happening but...........
Miller and Healy are both from the same town and were at Celtic together for years so should be comfortable together.
Might be somethign to try for the last 25 mins if things arent going well!

NigeSausagepump
07/10/2003, 7:48 AM
I think people lose sight of how long it can take young guys to get established at international level, regardless of their club reputations. I'm thinking particularly of Damien Duff who flattered to deceive for a fair part of his early Ireland career, and look at him now. Some, usually extremely skilful players like Robbie Keane and Wayne Rooney take to it like a duck in water, but for the less gifted it can take some time to adapt. I would suggest that good and all as Miller is, he's possibly not going to fit in as quickly as someone like Michael Owen did. Hence, I think it would be a mistake to put too much expectation on him early doors in his international career and he should be blooded in a few friendlies.

pete
07/10/2003, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by ger121

Cos people see a few glimpses of a player on tv & cos they support Glasgow Celtic think hes great.

I think its similar to those people you'd hear TodayFM on a saturday saying their (english team) manager shoudl be sacked based on the highlights they seen from a couple of Premiership matches.

:eek:

Slash/ED
07/10/2003, 3:33 PM
Yeah you're right there Pete, Miller being a Celtic man has influenced this alot. Personally, I think Andy Reid deserves it as much if not more.

sadloserkid
07/10/2003, 8:09 PM
No no no I say. One old firm game and a goal off the bench against Lyon hardly qualifies him as Fernando Redondo. What I love is the amount of people here (not all of you before people get upset) who dismiss Celtic as over-hyped foreign muck who are championing Miller's inclusion. He's one for the future undoubtedly but I wouldn't blood him here and neither will Brian Kerr.

Pogsly
07/10/2003, 10:20 PM
You can't give Miller or Reid a chance in this game. OK Miller has played well in the SPL and CL but that's with players and a system that he has trained and played with for the last few months.
It's too big an ask for him to come into a team for a vital match and to get to know the system and players enough to make a contribution.
It's just daft.

I think Kerr is right not to include too many young players at this stage. The lads that are in the squad at the moment are by and large the best we have. Miller and Reid only offer us some potential which I fully expect to be given a chance in the spring friendlies.

Given,
Carr Breen O'Shea Harte
Keane Connolly

How can ppl say Kerr hasn't included any young players ??? There is a difference between young and inexperienced .
Robbie , Colin and JO'Shea are 22 , Duffer and Connolly are 23/24
Carr Given Harte Kilbane are all 26 so that is a great base of "young" and experienced players .
Add to that Steo Reid (22/23) O'Brien (23) Murphy (22) Morrison (23) Doherty (23) Finnan (26) as potential resrves these are all young players who more or less are coming round the block .

Forza na Fianna hEireann !