PDA

View Full Version : Hertha bid for Keith Fahy

finnpark
03/10/2008, 10:35 AM
According to this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055391083) Hertha have bid for Fahy.

Any truth and how much? I assume millions rather than a few hundred grand?

Saint_Charlie
03/10/2008, 10:48 AM
We'll be doing well to get a million although he has 2 years left on his contract.

600-800k probably. Hopefully he doesn't leave tho.

robertob
03/10/2008, 11:34 AM
I can't see a real source for this. I think it's absolutely possible that Hertha would like to buy Fahey, because he played very impressive the two games against Hertha, but where is a source? I haven't also read anything in germany about this...

SalvadorSanchez
03/10/2008, 11:34 AM
Just goes to show that this league has a few very good players and lots of decent players, I think Irish players are wrong to just look at England and Scotland as career options, the Bundesliga might be a better fit for Irish players as it's a mixture of the physical and the technical, the moneys good and the clubs are pretty well run (the holy grail) and it's not being driven by rabid journos who just want a story (Spurs managers anyone?) I reckon there's at least another 10 players in this league who could comfortably play in the Bundesliga

Saint_Charlie
03/10/2008, 11:48 AM
I can't see a real source for this. I think it's absolutely possible that Hertha would like to buy Fahey, because he played very impressive the two games against Hertha, but where is a source? I haven't also read anything in germany about this...

That's good to hear.

It was in one of the tabloid papers here this morning and at least one radio station followed their lead.

Saint_Charlie
03/10/2008, 11:50 AM
I reckon there's at least another 10 players in this league who could comfortably play in the Bundesliga

Barry Ryan, Damien Lynch, Jamie Harris, Dave Rodgers, Jason Gavin, Gary Demsey, Alan Kirby, Ryan Guy, Glen Fitzpatrick, Mark Quigley.

:D

amaccann
03/10/2008, 11:55 AM
Reminds me of that time Niall Quinn was chased by Sporting Lisbon after his performance against Portugal way back in the day.

Dodge
03/10/2008, 11:57 AM
I think Irish players are wrong to just look at England and Scotland as career options
Its not really up to them. its up to the clubs to sign the players.

Oh and Phil Babb and Alan Mahon played for Sporting Lisbon

finnpark
03/10/2008, 12:00 PM

Dom Foley plays in belgium too ;)

sadloserkid
03/10/2008, 12:34 PM
To give players their due langauge is a big factor in that decision too. I've definitely heard of more Irish players playing in the US for example than in Germany (Joey Kendrick right?) or Belgium (possibly not the best example as United may have sent a couple of players over there as well as Foley and Gary Waddock). It's easier for players to go to England or Scotland in a lot of regards. Agree with the general point though.

centre mid
03/10/2008, 12:40 PM
Glen Fitzpatrick.

Your taking the pi_ss right?

SalvadorSanchez
03/10/2008, 12:41 PM

I agree, however these guys have agents do they not? and rather than chasing unrealistic clubs and money in the UK why not look further afield??
Of course it would be ace if they stayed in the league and went to the biggest club of them all GUFC........ :p

sadloserkid
03/10/2008, 12:44 PM
Your taking the pi_ss right?

Given that he just named the whole Pats team and finished with a smiley I think it's pretty clear that he is.

Hibs4Ever
03/10/2008, 5:38 PM
We'll be doing well to get a million although he has 2 years left on his contract.

Why do you think that? He's better than anything Hertha have now

Saint_Charlie
03/10/2008, 5:48 PM
Why do you think that? He's better than anything Hertha have now

I know that but Hertha will look at previous transfers etc in our league and will realize that a bid around 1mil will be snapped at.

the-blue-harp
03/10/2008, 5:49 PM
if hertha want him, they should be made fork out for him... in the international market for players of fahey's ability, they make 2-3 million, just because he's coming from this league doesnt mean pats should expect any less. i'll be interested to hear what their initial offer is.

brianw82
03/10/2008, 7:07 PM
What's he got to lose by going to Hertha (if it's true)? When you consider that Hargreaves was regularly in the England squad while with Bayern, anything can happen.

gustavo
03/10/2008, 8:19 PM
When you consider that Hargreaves was regularly in the England squad while with Bayern, anything can happen.
Strange analogy to use

It's not like the Bundesliga is a lesser league whereby Hargreaves was lucky to get in their squad , you could have pointed to the many many internationals playing there at the moment , some of the best players in Europe

irishultra
03/10/2008, 8:25 PM
yeah its argubably taking over Serie A as one of the big 3 leagues in europe(with its population it should be and attendances)

kdjaC
03/10/2008, 8:39 PM
Strange analogy to use

Not really he was a benchwarmer at bayern for most of his england career.

kdjac

Paddyfield
03/10/2008, 10:14 PM
Birmingham City are eager to sign Jay O'Shea. According to a Galway newspaper, he has been given permission to talk to them at the end of the season. He has another year left in his contract.

SkStu
03/10/2008, 10:29 PM
is there much truth to this Pats fans? from what ive seen i have no doubt he is good enough but i just feel that this is just paper gossip...

dcfcsteve
03/10/2008, 11:20 PM
Barry Ryan, Damien Lynch, Jamie Harris, Dave Rodgers, Jason Gavin, Gary Demsey, Alan Kirby, Ryan Guy, Glen Fitzpatrick, Mark Quigley.

:D

Buck Rogers wiould have more chance in the Bundesliga than the smiling scouse hatchet swinger....

Con-Con
04/10/2008, 1:40 PM
Birmingham City are eager to sign Jay O'Shea. According to a Galway newspaper, he has been given permission to talk to them at the end of the season. He has another year left in his contract.
We'd need to be paid pretty well for him, we need the money.

A face
06/10/2008, 11:34 AM
We'd need to be paid pretty well for him, we need the money.

You needing the money never comes into it. Its what they are prepared to pay, and what the player is worth that will see the price be anything close to fair. LOI Clubs lose the bottle when they are dealing with transfers, never get the right money.

Dodge
06/10/2008, 11:46 AM
You needing the money never comes into it. Its what they are prepared to pay, and what the player is worth that will see the price be anything close to fair. LOI Clubs lose the bottle when they are dealing with transfers, never get the right money.

Mainly because buying clubs know that LOI clubs need money

A face
06/10/2008, 11:55 AM
Mainly because buying clubs know that LOI clubs need money

Its how they find out is the worst part of it though :(

noby
06/10/2008, 11:57 AM

The one with most asterisks after their name?

A face
06/10/2008, 12:02 PM
The one with most asterisks after their name?

That i could handle alright, its the underhanded stuff that goes on behind the scenes that i dont like and from people who claim to love the league :rolleyes:

Heliodorus
06/10/2008, 12:02 PM

Too True. Its from a PD style open economy (and I'm not talking about the political party).

A face
06/10/2008, 12:05 PM
Too True. Its from a PD style open economy (and I'm not talking about the political party).

Well we got rid of the political party ........ hhuuummm, i wonder ...... ;)

mypost
06/10/2008, 12:22 PM
Won't happen.

Irish players religiously go to the UK. Most players worldwide would prefer to play in the bright lights of Berlin, than the coalmines of Coventry, but Irish players are different. :rolleyes:

Dodge
06/10/2008, 12:28 PM
Most players worldwide would go wherever paid the most. And if Coventry don't want him, and Berlin do, he'll go.

And pats haven't been approached by anybody

CuanaD
06/10/2008, 12:46 PM
And pats haven't been approached by anybody
Good - let's hope it stays that way - we NEED players like Fats to STAY in this league if we(meaning ANY of the league's teams) are going to make that jump into the group stages next year

I hope Kelleher is able to keep things going - (cashflow is a huge problem for all in the property trades these days) - if he can I don't think he'll be trying to offload any of his best players just yet.

Heliodorus
06/10/2008, 2:22 PM
Won't happen.

Irish players religiously go to the UK. Most players worldwide would prefer to play in the bright lights of Berlin, than the coalmines of Coventry, but Irish players are different. :rolleyes:

I remember in the '80s a fair few Hoops players went to the continent.

robertob
07/10/2008, 10:18 AM
Yesterday it was told in MNS about the alleged offer of Hertha BSC. But is there anyway a real source for this? News to the rumour?

Saint_Charlie
07/10/2008, 11:43 AM
Yesterday it was told in MNS about the alleged offer of Hertha BSC. But is there anyway a real source for this? News to the rumour?

The Sun newspaper broke the story I believe.

Make of that what you will....

robertob
07/10/2008, 11:58 AM
The Sun newspaper broke the story I believe.

Make of that what you will....

Do you have a link to The sun article? I can't find it...

mypost
07/10/2008, 12:06 PM
There are no links to Irish Sun articles online, unless they appear in the UK version. As this wouldn't, there isn't.

robertob
11/10/2008, 10:34 PM
Hertha search an offensive midfielder. They want to sign the new player in the mid-season break. At the moment there is still no name mentioned. But perhaps it's Fahey. Because of the last well-known rumor not impossible, I think.

brianw82
13/10/2008, 12:06 AM
Hertha search an offensive midfielder.

This depends what they mean by 'offensive midfielder' - someone like Ballack or Fabregas? I would say Fahey is more similar in style to Fabregas than Ballack, but Ballack would score more goals and pop up in the opposition box much more.