PDA

View Full Version : Tubber Gaa boss thanks Cookie

red bellied
02/10/2008, 6:52 PM
Tubbercurry manager Reggie McNulty has applauded League of Ireland side Sligo Rovers for their corporation as they prepare for the SFC final on Sunday.

Two of the Tubbercurry panel, Rafael Cretaro and Gary Curran are integral part of the Rovers squad that will face Derry City on Friday night.

However, Rovers manager Paul Cook has allowed the players to play for Tubbercurry this year and although Cretaro is currently injured, both could feature on Sunday and McNulty was keen to praise his soccer counterpart.

"Rovers manager Paul Cook has been very understanding and has cooperated with us in every way possible," said McNulty. "We are thankful to him for his assistance."

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimsport.php?articleid=000002721

sligoman
02/10/2008, 9:48 PM
Hope they take over the lads wages if they get injured.

srfc1928
03/10/2008, 10:36 AM
Co operation between Sligo Gaa and Sligo Rovers seems all one way to me. It seems that the two organisations do have a good relationship but it seems to be on the Gaa's terms

Examples of Co operation from Sligo Rovers towards Sligo gaa :

Rovers open up the use of their astro turf facility for the Sligo Gaelic squad to practise on ahead of their tie with New York as New york play on a similar type surface
Rovers release players to be part of the Tubbercurry Gaa Squad
Sligo Hulers invited to The Showgrounds to parade the Nicky Racard Cup,
Examples of Co operation from Sligo Gaa towards Sligo Rovers :

!
?
Quote from John Murphy(Sligo County board chairman) in December 2005, refereing to Rovers winning of the First Division Title earlier in the year “Sligo Rovers won a First Division title this year but how many red and white flags did you see around Sligo town? We have to remember that we [the Sligo GAA] are part of the strongest sporting body in the country.”
The whole article is worth reading but the final paragraph is something else, what era is this guy living in
http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2005/12/06/story25850.asp

Thanks for the mutual respect and congratulations John.
Cant you just feel the love from those Gaa guys !

Ash
03/10/2008, 10:42 AM
Are the 2 lads on full time contracts with Sligo?
If so I'm surprised the Club are letting them play GAA aswell, as sligoman said, if they get injured playing GAA will Tubbercurry cover the wages

srfc1928
03/10/2008, 10:59 AM
Are the 2 lads on full time contracts with Sligo?
If so I'm surprised the Club are letting them play GAA aswell, as sligoman said, if they get injured playing GAA will Tubbercurry cover the wages
Yep
Good Question

red bellied
03/10/2008, 11:23 AM
Its questionable how Cretaro is out injured tonight yet will be available for the county final on Sunday. Its daft that two full time pros are also allowed play GAA as well. The squad is tight enough as it is without getting players injured playing gaelic.

That Murphy was probably involved in stopping the county side parading the Connaught Cup in the Showgrounds, after Toolan was on the back and front of the Champion for three weeks in a row inviting them to the Showgrounds.

Now as a Tubber man he most be having a right laugh that arguably Rovers best player this season is favouring the Gaa for a local game against Western Harps or someone. Maybe the Gaa are paying the wages this week!

red_away
03/10/2008, 12:24 PM
This cooperation from rovers does seem over the top and definitely not reciprocated - who remember the 1994 cup final and hoolihan couldnt play in the final due to county committments!!!

After all the goodwill getstures towards the GAA - they still see us as an enemy to be crushed and not another positive sporting organisation.

I wouldnt give them access to players financially contracted to rovers even if they did pay their wages when injured as we couldnt replace them for that timeframe.

We should keep to the business of trying to promote sligo rovers and let the GAA do like wise!

Rovers Maniac
03/10/2008, 1:01 PM
This cooperation from rovers does seem over the top and definitely not reciprocated - who remember the 1994 cup final and hoolihan couldnt play in the final due to county committments!!!

After all the goodwill getstures towards the GAA - they still see us as an enemy to be crushed and not another positive sporting organisation.

I wouldnt give them access to players financially contracted to rovers even if they did pay their wages when injured as we couldnt replace them for that timeframe.

We should keep to the business of trying to promote sligo rovers and let the GAA do like wise!

Ya but to be fair to Ger he always said Gaelic came first and i respect him for that and it was also a first round of the championship game they were playing i think. God he must have been gutted though the two clashed as the cup final was put back a month if i am correct.

LondonRover
03/10/2008, 1:41 PM

To be fair to the Tubber boss, he was being very grateful to Cookie and Rovers...

Raf and that have always played for Tubber so it's quite clear why they'd want to play in a County Final (I don't think Tubber have won one since 91?) but it seems very odd that he'd be available for Sunday but not for the club that pays his wages tonight. A wee bit like moonlighting that isn't it? (and I'm a Tubber man originally!)

gustavo
03/10/2008, 1:49 PM
Theres no word of him eing injured in the team news anyway

gustavo
03/10/2008, 1:49 PM
Theres no word of him eing injured in the team news anyway

Rovers1
03/10/2008, 2:37 PM
i live in the Tubber area, and know one of their selectors. He told me that the Tubber board keep in contact with Paul Cook about Raf and Gary Curran, and tell them whenever they need the 2 lads. Tubber had a semi-final 2 weeks ago and Raf only played the last few minutes, because he had played the previous night V UCD. I hate the GAA and wish all the worlds bad luck towards it, but, in fairness, the Tubber lads do treat the Rovers lads with the greatest of respect.

srfc19
03/10/2008, 7:15 PM
apparently in an earlier championship game the two lads played without the knowledge of rovers and tubbercurrry paid fines for both players.

i think it's fair enough of the club to release them especially as the rovers are done for the weekend tonight,
let's just hope they report back with no injuries

Redzer
03/10/2008, 7:40 PM
Reggie McNulty the Tubber manager was Rovers Physio a few years ago. I think it was during DOR's reign.
So there would be fairly good relations between them and us.

Rovers1
04/10/2008, 3:29 PM
apparently in an earlier championship game the two lads played without the knowledge of rovers and tubbercurrry paid fines for both players.

true.

sligofan4ever
05/10/2008, 6:42 PM
Were Raff and Curran used today ?

sligoman
05/10/2008, 6:47 PM
Were Raff and Curran used today ?Curran started, Raf came off the bench. They lost by 7 phoints.

red_away
05/10/2008, 9:15 PM
i have no problem personally with the Sligo GAH but we have a skeleton squad and to risk an injury to raf/Curran is risk we cannot afford, good relationsships wont win us a match but these players might?

Red&White Rover
05/10/2008, 10:10 PM
Good relationships could help get a few more people through the gate though...

brianw82
06/10/2008, 9:41 AM
Good relationships could help get a few more people through the gate though...

Doubt it. With hardcore GAAers, it's all take and no give.

Rovers1
06/10/2008, 2:59 PM

annoyingly true

joeSoap
06/10/2008, 3:12 PM
Looks like the lads should stick to the soccer.....

Eastern Harps 1-16 Tub of Curry 1-8.

Only1Rovers
06/10/2008, 3:19 PM

Harsh......

People who play football (associated or not) are sports people and enjoy playing the games. There are hardcore GAA people who play both soccer and Gaelic football. To say "hardcore GAAers are all take and no give" is a inaccurate sweeping statement and maybe a reflection of the upper echlons of the GAA in Sligo.

Rovers1
06/10/2008, 3:24 PM
To say "hardcore GAAers are all take and no give" is a inaccurate sweeping statement and maybe a reflection of the upper echlons of the GAA in Sligo.

i think thats who Brian is reffering too...:confused:

sligoman
06/10/2008, 4:44 PM
Moral of the story is, gaelic football is a waste of time and shouldn't exist. There's only one football and it's what Rovers play.

Red&White Rover
06/10/2008, 5:56 PM

Not all gahists are hardcore;)