PDA

View Full Version : Main Forum vs Club Forums

fergalr
02/10/2008, 5:24 PM
Mods, can you please help me understand the policy here.

In the past I have posted links to articles in the Guardian about Galway and Cork. I would have thought these were of interest to all LOI fans especially given the poor or non-existant coverage in the local print media. Each time I was surprised that the threads got moved off the main forum and into the individual clubs section.

Now I see the link about Tallaght has moved. As its again arguable that its of interest to LOI suporters, I'm surprised its been moved and even more surprised that its been moved without comment or justification.

I can guess what the rules are but if my guess is right then how come threads "Harps in financial trouble", "Pats v Hertha" and "Bohs in Europe" all stay in the main forum?

micls
02/10/2008, 5:29 PM
I can see what youre saying but what difference does it make? Really?

Its not like you cant go into the clubs forums to look at it. Or just press view new posts?

Not just aimed at you but people complain about this in every second thread. Why does it matter?

John83
02/10/2008, 5:42 PM
Amusingly, this is in the wrong forum. A mod will probably move it to Support before long.

I agree with micls. The division can be a little arbitrary, but it doesn't matter that much. As long as the mods aren't giving people trouble about it, it's hardly a problem.

Saint_Charlie
02/10/2008, 5:42 PM
I'd imagine threads in the clubs section get a hell of a lot less views Micls.

I'd prefer it if they didn't move them but whatcha gonna do?...

micls
02/10/2008, 6:06 PM
I'd imagine threads in the clubs section get a hell of a lot less views Micls.

Because generally most people arent intersted in them?

I dunno. I always just click New posts and pick out what i want to read so it makes no difference to me where the thread is. that option is there if people think they might miss something

oldyouth
02/10/2008, 6:46 PM
I think club specific threads, which are of interest to all, should get an outing in the main section if that's what the poster desires. If not many outsiders show enough interest to maintain the topic or if, after a time, they have exhausted the input, then it's time to move it on.

Should be given a chance in the 1st instance though

Mr A
02/10/2008, 6:50 PM
I think the mods on here are far too fast to move stuff to club forums. Major issues for one club are still of general interest.

blackholesun
02/10/2008, 6:55 PM
I think the mods on here are far too fast to move stuff to club forums. Major issues for one club are still of general interest.

Deffo agree with that. I havent time to go checking each clubs forums alot of which are dead as doornails.

I have seen mods on lots of others forums let it go to their heads, hopefully wont happen too much here.

bhs

Buller
02/10/2008, 7:01 PM

I think most people will agree. Its convience more than anything - there is no way I would have time to scrumage through those 22 individual club forums... Main forum should have main topics which interest us all. As a result I'm now missing stuff like the Cork City take-over ect...

Dodge
03/10/2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not a mod anymore but the announcement isn't about Tallaght opening, its about Rovers season tickets. Thats about as club specific as it can get.

A thread on Cork's finances was here for ages (rightly so) as were others that effect the overall league a fair bit. Some clubs fans only ever start threads in the main area looking to either boast or advertise (anyone remember the laughable "Bohs create european record" after they wbeat that Welsh crowd?).

Either way people are far too precious about it anyway (and that goes for people who reply with "Wrong forum" every single time too). I use the new posts bit at the top. Takes about a minute to scan through the topic headlines, most of which I dont' read.

BohDiddley
03/10/2008, 10:10 AM

Absolutely agree. Posts should be moved to club-only forums only if it is clear that there is nothing of interest in them from a general LoI point of view. A new stadium, a club on the brink of going bust, or a club on the brink of a European campaign are not solely of interests to fans of those entities.

Dodge
03/10/2008, 10:17 AM
or a club on the brink of a European campaign

Strange phrase

fergalr
03/10/2008, 12:46 PM
Either way people are far too precious about it anyway
With respect its not for you to judge if anyone is being too precious about this.

The policy is either entirely arbitrary or else its biased. Neither, in my view, is appropriate on foot.ie.

I would have though that the mods policy should not only be fair and impartial but seen to be so. I'm disappointed that none of them have given input to the thread yet.

pineapple stu
03/10/2008, 12:50 PM
I can see what youre saying but what difference does it make? Really?

Its not like you cant go into the clubs forums to look at it. Or just press view new posts?

Not just aimed at you but people complain about this in every second thread. Why does it matter?
I'd agree with that. Using "New Posts" means it's irrelevant what forum a thread is in - you'll still see it. In addition, grouping, say, Shamrock Rovers related threads together makes it easier to look back for something.

It's probably fair to describe the moving policy as haphazard at best. To call it biased is nonsense, I think. It's so ultimately meaningless that there'd no real point doing it to annoy one club's fans or something.

Longfordian
03/10/2008, 12:50 PM
Dodge is one of our glorious leaders on here fergalr!.

Dodge
03/10/2008, 12:54 PM
Dodge is one of our glorious leaders on here fergalr!.

No I'm not.

And as for this

With respect its not for you to judge if anyone is being too precious about this.
I never proclaimed to be anthing of the sort. I was giving my opinion. I also think its hilarious that some people think the place is over moderated and then seek that this "moving" lark is fair and impartial? It s few blokes who read some threads and think some of them deserve to go into other forums. FFS a face moved a Cork in trouble thread ito the Cork forum and got lashed out of it.

The bottom line is that its an internet discussion forum, and people take it far too seriously.

fergalr
03/10/2008, 1:07 PM
Using "New Posts" means it's irrelevant what forum a thread
is in - you'll still see it.
Works well on other sitebut not on this one because you have to wade through loads of stuff that has nothing to do with Irish footie.

Longfordian
03/10/2008, 1:09 PM
No I'm not.

Well that was kind of tongue in cheek. You are an administrator though, correct?. Not that it bothers me either way really.

*backs away from the thread slowly*

Dodge
03/10/2008, 1:09 PM
Works well on other sitebut not on this one because you have to wade through loads of stuff that has nothing to do with Irish footie.

Wade through? The title and section its in are clearly displayed. Takes no more than 5 seconds to find what you want in anyone page

Dodge
03/10/2008, 1:10 PM
Well that was kind of tongue in cheek. You are an administrator though, correct?. Not that it bothers me either way really.

*backs away from the thread slowly*

No, I'm just a regular (or irregular) poster like the majority

fergalr
03/10/2008, 1:11 PM
It s few blokes who read some threads and think some of them deserve to go into other forums.

Sorry this does not wash. They read some threads!? How do they come to the decision about which ones to read with a view to potentially moving them? At random?

The bottom line is that its an internet discussion forum, and people take it far too seriously.
We are LOI fans. Of course we have a tendency to be a tad obscure about what we get worked up about.

Dodge
03/10/2008, 1:13 PM
Sorry this does not wash. They read some threads!? How do they come to the decision about which ones to read with a view to potentially moving them? At random?

it doesn't work like that. They read the threads that interest them, and if they think they should move it, they do. There's no obligation to read everything (nor should there be)

Longfordian
03/10/2008, 1:17 PM

Fair enough, I see the list of admins now. It was just pure curiosity.

A face
03/10/2008, 5:03 PM
Lads, there is no hassle here. If anything this thread gives us the opportunity to discuss whats best for the forum. If anyone has suggestions the chip in with them. All we'd ask its that it is workable.

First up, there is too much traffic for it all to be posted in in the main forum. And even if you argue that 'right now theres not' (main forum contents + moved threads) then be conscious that if there was a stage where everything 'right now' is posted in there you'll see even more threads posted in the main forum which would previously have been posted in clubs forums if threads were not moved.

I know people are saying that 'i have posted stuff that people would be interested in' and you would be right. There is a stack load of stuff that people would be interested in in the club forums. That thing is there is too much of it there.

People are saying that "once it goes into a club forum they will never see it" and i know that actually is the case for some people. But if threads are not moved from the main forum then the exact same thing will happen because you'll have to go two, three sometimes four pages back to see all the active threads. People DO NOT do this as has happened in the past, events have come and gone and people didn't realise it because threads fall back down the peaking order.

I dont know about other mods here but what i aim to do is to get all active threads visible on the main forum, so people dont have to go to the second page of the main forum.

If it goes to the second page on the main forum then its gone forever imo, if its moved to a club forum then its active there for normally much longer than the main forum and if its of interest to LOI fans and they know its related to a certain club then they will see it if they look. Bare in mind that if Sligo play Cobh next week then generally Sligo fans go to the Cobh forum to see whats going on, so my point is that all fans will at some stage go to most forums. If people dont click around then they cant expect to see everything, i'm sorry that is the case. Has anyone any suggestions?

Merging threads, if its in the same forum i normally do not leave a redirect link because for the most part the thread that is being merged was posted without looking if there was an existing one on the same topic in the forum. If its in another forum, depending on the topic i wont leave a redirect but i try and leave it if there is a chance the poster wont find it (depends on the topic). In short, i dont leave redirects for merges in the same thread.

Moving threads, if its a match preview/report then i will move it to the home teams forum. I normally leave a redirect for a day or so unless there are five or six threads for the same game. And i do this because people are clearly not looking to see if its been posted already.

I have moved threads to club forums before and got destroyed for it so i had to move it back, but thats only if its something like Shels trouble, Cork City trouble, Tallaght reopening, etc. (NOT my decisions, i had moved them and had to move them back)

fergalr
05/10/2008, 1:01 PM
Thanks face for taking the time to post the theory. Not sure that it matches what I've observed in practice but lets hope things improve.

There should already be a good feel for what people want to see - all you have to do is look at which threads attarct posts from supporters of other clubs. I would have thought that articles about the league in high profile foreign media would always be of general interest and should stay in the main forum. Any major negative develpoments such as clubs going bust likewise (we all love misery).

Anything development that is is positive and of benefit to the entire league should also stay in the main forum and if Tallaght does not match that description then I don't know what ever would.

SMorgan
06/10/2008, 5:24 AM

Well when did that happen? Because I got an infraction from you a few days ago because I had a go at a poster that showed considerable disrespect to another poster.

A face
06/10/2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks face for taking the time to post the theory. Not sure that it matches what I've observed in practice but lets hope things improve.

Can i ask you to expand on that (or anyone else as well)? Is there something thats being missed?

There should already be a good feel for what people want to see - all you have to do is look at which threads attarct posts from supporters of other clubs. I would have thought that articles about the league in high profile foreign media would always be of general interest and should stay in the main forum. Any major negative develpoments such as clubs going bust likewise (we all love misery).

Anything development that is is positive and of benefit to the entire league should also stay in the main forum and if Tallaght does not match that description then I don't know what ever would.

Fergalr, how do we judge though? And thats not being difficult, its just people will always say that an issue related to their club will be of importance to the whole league.

I'll be honest, i hate making a call myself because people always claim that i'm biased. This is a big issue for me personally. Its just opening a can of worms for me because i'll just have to defend a decision for a few days and still come out of it looking bad. Its because of this that i personally like the current system, but as i said ..... if there is a better way of doing it then i'm all for it.

Just need a good way to judge what stays and what goes.