PDA

View Full Version : Another one gone

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:09 PM
Harps in trouble now; players asked to take a 50% pay cut.

That's everyone now bar Bray, Rovers and us screwed (you could make an argument for Pat's, but that's only a temporary thing). It looks like everyone bar the four big spenders (and even that may reduce pending their own mitigating circumstances) will be part time next year. It'll be interesting to see just what effect going full-time (or reverting from it) has on any given group of players.

In the meantime, our chances of survival increased slightly. Though to be honest, I don't think I want to be reprieved in February having planned for the First Division. Would rather, if we go down in November, to go down, regroup, do well, get promoted and get a bit of confidence back into the team and the club again.

HarpoJoyce
01/10/2008, 4:32 PM
A club is moving from full-time to part-time.

I don't understand why you insist on using emotive and/or extremist language and why you don't appreciate simply acts by a football club. You can consider yourself a regular at LoI games now, there's no reason I see for you to use abrasive terms for large acts of a football club which other clubs have done previously.

UCD AFC have benefitted in the past from similar decisions in the past, but you appear to want to be vindictive about it. I don't understand.

Bald Student
01/10/2008, 4:36 PM
I think he's using emotive and/or extremist language because he's genuinely annoyed at what's being done in and/or to this league.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:36 PM
I actually explicitly don't want to be vindictive about it, saying I'd prefer not to benefit from it. Everything else is just fact. I think it's a huge positive to see the league reverting to its real level.

Your summation of the incident - "A club is moving from full time to part time" - is woefully inadequate.

Edit - bar the word "screwed", I don't see much in the way of emotive, vindictive or extremist language either. Maybe I'm biased though.

Mr A
01/10/2008, 4:39 PM
Everything else is just fact.

In what way are Harps 'gone' then? Isn't that just a little over the top? In fairness the header on the post in the main section was probably over the top too.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:42 PM
Probably. I suppose what's "gone" is the current entity which is capable of being seven points ahead of us. It's now to be replaced, hopefully, with a sensible entity which will come below us. Harps are one of my more favoured teams, so wasn't trying to be explicitly vindictive. Apologies for that. In fact, that may answer my last post too.

HarpoJoyce
01/10/2008, 4:58 PM
Probably. I suppose what's "gone" is the current entity which is capable of being seven points ahead of us. It's now to be replaced, hopefully, with a sensible entity which will come below us. Harps are one of my more favoured teams, so wasn't trying to be explicitly vindictive. Apologies for that. In fact, that may answer my last post too.

You 'air-time' should be restricted. What are you writing about?

You wondered in your OP about what effects the change from part-time to full-time (and reverse) would have on players. Bohemian FC and St. Patricks Ath. FC both reduced from full-time to part-time. I can tell you it affected the clubs adversely, as they finished in poor places in the League including Bohs playing a promotion/relegation play-off.

Another club returns to part-time football and you choose a particular set of words that don't fit the situation.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 5:11 PM
Why do you compare teams going from part time to full time when I asked to compare players?

If, to pick an example, Harps go part time next year with exactly the same squad, how much worse off will they be? That's my question. Maybe you should read the post before complaining about it.

HarpoJoyce
01/10/2008, 5:34 PM
Why do you compare teams going from part time to full time when I asked to compare players?

If, to pick an example, Harps go part time next year with exactly the same squad, how much worse off will they be? That's my question. Maybe you should read the post before complaining about it.

You've just contradicted yourself. Mention players, ask about clubs.

After repeating your post, I let you know about what has happened previously with clubs and you have a problem with that.
You are someone who is very easily troubled by regular, circular occurences in Irish Football.
This is your problem, but you cause grief to others because of it.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 5:40 PM
No, you quite clearly mis-read my post, and now you're just trolling. Last word on that.

(schumi - you can move this to rubbish if you want).

Bald Student
01/10/2008, 5:41 PM
I'm troubled by the fact that running out of money and being unable to pay employees is considered a regular occurrence in Irish Football.

HarpoJoyce
01/10/2008, 5:45 PM
No, you quite clearly mis-read my post, and now you're just trolling. Last word on that.

(schumi - you can move this to rubbish if you want).

Your Opening Post set the tone and you were unable to stand over the 'emotive' 'extremist' language. Bald Student described you as annoyed.

Don't make comments on Irish Football when you have little or nothing to back it up. It may be described as foolish.

I disagree with the thread being moved as that would let pineapple stu off the hook.

Aftr edit

I'm troubled by the fact that running out of money and being unable to pay employees is considered a regular occurrence in Irish Football.

Continue to watch the League. I think inability by clubs to perform on their contracts is distasteful. However many clubs are communicating with the playing staff and attempting to reach an agreement. IMO, The 'ring-fence' of examinership around Cork City is the worst senario at present. But it is not a precedent.

Bald Student
01/10/2008, 5:51 PM
Harpo, you're at least as guilty as Pineapple of abusing language. Saying that Harps have made a normal run of the mill decision to go from full to part time football. You're playing down the situation to at least the same extent that Pineapple is playing it up.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 6:01 PM
Your Opening Post set the tone and you were unable to stand over the 'emotive' 'extremist' language.

Don't make comments on Irish Football when you have little or nothing to back it up. It may be described as foolish.
You haven't pointed out any emotive or extremist language, you haven't pointed out any comments I haven't backed up and yet you criticise me for the same thing?

HarpoJoyce
01/10/2008, 6:18 PM
Harpo, you're at least as guilty as Pineapple of abusing language. Saying that Harps have made a normal run of the mill decision to go from full to part time football. You're playing down the situation to at least the same extent that Pineapple is playing it up.

You haven't pointed out any emotive or extremist language, you haven't pointed out any comments I haven't backed up and yet you criticise me for the same thing?

The clique circles the wagons.

Bald Student, you put words like 'normal run of the mill' inot my mouth. I use the word 'Normal' all the time. sometimes in one word sentences. I did not use it on this thread. I did remind readers that the Finn Harps situation (all 3 hours of it) has occured before.
What complex measurement system do you use when you equate 'playing down the situation' (moderate language) with extreme language? I believe it will be too complex for me to understand.

pineapple stu,
You suggested yourself that 'Screwed' maybe considered emotive, extremist and vindictive.Post #4. I accept you may not have conciously been vindictive on this occasion.
Mr A, asked you to clarify 'gone'. But your reply was confusing/not sitting with the facts. And so I had a query about your reply to Mr. A.

DmanDmythDledge
01/10/2008, 6:52 PM
Would rather, if we go down in November, to go down, regroup, do well, get promoted and get a bit of confidence back into the team and the club again.
I don't think there's any chance of us going up next season if we do go down. We'll be up against 2 of Fingal, Dundalk and Shels (and possibly Waterford too) who are almost as strong as us at the moment, nevermind if we lost a lot of our key players. Galway will probably be able to sign stronger players than us in the off season if they go down. Limerick look like they will be a threat next season. We will mostly only be able to bring in young players but a new team of youngsters won't get you top 2 in the FD anymore.

Student Mullet
01/10/2008, 7:12 PM
Harpo,
You used the word 'regular' which is a synonym of 'normal'.

Neither myself for Bald Student will be contributing any further to this discussion.

pineapple stu
02/10/2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think there's any chance of us going up next season if we do go down.
First off, third place gets into a play off, as far as I know.

Yes, I was being flippant about coming straight back up (cue rant from Harpo), but I'd be very disappointed if we were outside the top four. The two of the top four who don't go up will obviously be challengers, but I think we'll match Shels (losing rental income from Rovers will hurt a bit) and Waterford (no reason why not) anyway. Galway and Cobh will be cutting back a lot more than we will. I see no reason Galway will be able to sign stronger players than us next season, and will reference our respective predictions for Galway this season to further query your point. Limerick are a dark horse alright; no-one else should be a particular threat.

We always have youngsters; we always find very good ones and I don't see that as an issue either, to be honest. It'd be no different to going down in 2003 and then signing the likes of Darren Quigley, Willie Doyle, Conor Kenna, Brian Gannon, etc.

stann
03/10/2008, 12:18 PM
Just to add a little point-out that it will be three of the top four in the First that you will be up against should you go down. Only one team gets out of the graveyard this year.

pineapple stu
03/10/2008, 12:23 PM
Yes - typo on my part. Cheers.