PDA

View Full Version : Harps in dire financial trouble!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

joey B
01/10/2008, 1:50 PM
Harps staff asked to take a 50% pay-cut until the end of the season:(
The full affect of full time football taking its toll just hope its as grim as it sounds:(

fionnsci
01/10/2008, 1:55 PM
Unfortunately that sounds familiar.

SwanVsDalton
01/10/2008, 2:00 PM
That time of year already?

Good luck to Harps, yet more financial woe. And yet another stick for people to beat the league with.

lofty9
01/10/2008, 2:01 PM
The full affect of full time football taking its toll just hope its as grim as it sounds:(

Heard about it late last night but was never going to post it.

If the players don't accept it and don't get paid- is there a points deduction?

Sam_Heggy
01/10/2008, 2:01 PM

We were never going to sustain full time football, the list of clubs in our league that can sustain it is a very short one.

When we go back to part time next season and have a realistic budget then we should be ok.

lofty9
01/10/2008, 2:02 PM
We were never going to sustain full time football, the list of clubs in our league that can sustain it is a very short one.

When we go back to part time next season and have a realistic budget then we should be ok.

Who will your new manager be?

Sam_Heggy
01/10/2008, 2:05 PM

Maybe one of your current playing staff? ;)

finnpark
01/10/2008, 2:14 PM
Heard about it late last night but was never going to post it.

If the players don't accept it and don't get paid- is there a points deduction?

Galway, Cobh and Sligo didn't get any points reduction so neither will we if life is fair. Is life fair? :confused:

finnpark
01/10/2008, 2:15 PM

The only thing you guys can win is your local derby and the league cup. You are still as far away as ever from winning the league. Over performing as it is I would say

Dodge
01/10/2008, 2:16 PM
The other clubs accepted the deal. He asked if the harps lads don't accept it.

I think I read that any clubs who owe wages at the end of a season will be refuseda license next year. Couldn't find a link to it though when I went to look for it

finnpark
01/10/2008, 2:18 PM

I think I read that any clubs who owe wages at the end of a season will be refuseda license next year. Couldn't find a link to it though when I went to look for it

Its all a conspiracy to get Galway in the premier. Heard it myself from a Galway head. Well we won't go down without a fight. As I said yesterday football should be played on the park and not in some FAI boardroom

Dodge
01/10/2008, 2:22 PM
Ah it all makes sense now :)

Good luck to harps BTW. The only LOI club scarf that hangs up in McDowells (bar Pats obviously)

finnpark
01/10/2008, 2:27 PM
Ah it all makes sense now :)

Good luck to harps BTW. The only LOI club scarf that hangs up in McDowells (bar Pats obviously)

Galway will probably beat Cork anyway tomorrow night and we will lose to Pats. Its all one big conspiracy ;)

Longfordian
01/10/2008, 2:32 PM

It's part of Licensing that if any players are owed money you can't get a Licence. Though I think you can have a written agreement with them to defer what they're owed or be paid off over a period.

placid casual
01/10/2008, 2:41 PM
pardon my ignorance but are finn harps really full time?!?are you $hiitin me !!
who in the name of christ are your directors/owners.
the f**kin marx brothers

how in gods name did you think you were goin to finance that?
your averagee gate must be what, 600-700 people paying €15 a head.
how much do they think they need to run a full time club.

apologies for my genuine surprise but I am shocked to think finn harps would even consider going full time.that just lunacy as far as I can see.

hope you escape your financial woes anyway. you might start by putting your "financial officer" on a life raft and throwin him/her into the briny.

Inside Man
01/10/2008, 2:43 PM
Galway, Cobh and Sligo didn't get any points reduction so neither will we if life is fair. Is life fair? :confused:

We didn't have our players take a pay cut and wages were always paid on time. We were accumullating debts and our board recognised a possible situation like what Harps are in and we pleaded with the public to get behind us and pull us out.

Mr A
01/10/2008, 2:52 PM
If the players agreed to a pay cut why would there be a points deduction or punishment from licensing? It's the same as renegotiating a contract.

This is the first step back to part time. We're in bother, but hopefully we can pull out the stops and get back on an even keel again.

No doubt the club have made some very poor decisions this year- but hopefully for once lessons have been learned.

Claret Murph
01/10/2008, 2:54 PM
Come the end of the season the whole league is going to be in a real mess . At one of our meetings we had in Galway our CEO said the most important thing is that we pay out players wages then the inland revenue and after that everyone else can wait . So to say if we don't meet these two we don't get a licence next season , as simple as that .........

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 2:59 PM
We didn't have our players take a pay cut and wages were always paid on time. We were accumullating debts and our board recognised a possible situation like what Harps are in and we pleaded with the public to get behind us and pull us out.

Why didn't you try to get players to take a wage cut though? If the club was in debt would it not make sense to try and save as much money as possible by cutting wages?

harps1954
01/10/2008, 3:00 PM
Press Release below from Harps:

FINN HARPS ASK FOR SUPPORT FROM DONEGAL SPORTING PUBLIC

Finn Harps have today asked the Donegal Sporting public to come out and support Finn Harps in their remaining League fixtures (this Friday at home to St Pats) and the home games against Sligo Rovers and Shamrock Rovers. The club are also asking the Donegal sporting public to support the Finn Harps Legends Game v Liverpool Legends at Finn Park at 3.00pm this Saturday.

The club has confirmed that due to the present financial climate a number of adjustments have had to be made which have resulted in all staff at Finn Park having to take a adjustment in wages. The club wish to thank most sincerely all its players and staff for their help and assistance at this time. The steps taken are in the best interest of Finn Harps short and long term. The immediate aim is to secure our status in the Premier Division for the coming season and all at the club are working towards that goal.

We would however point out that if the Donegal sporting public come out and support the club in the remaining games the effects of any adjustment can be minimised on all concerned if not eliminated. We therefore urge the sporting public and indeed business interests to support us for the remainder of the season.

--
Official Press Release From Finn Harps FC

Rovers1
01/10/2008, 3:03 PM
who'll be next?

good luck to Harps....

John83
01/10/2008, 3:03 PM
Oh dear. Juanace won't be happy to hear this.

gufct
01/10/2008, 3:12 PM
There is going to be serious licencing problems for 80% of all el clubs at the end of this season and how the FAI will sort out the mess is anyones guess. Next Up will be Bohs as they face 2 huge court cases in the next month and if they lose both the ramifications for them could be shelsesque.

finnpark
01/10/2008, 3:13 PM
If the players agreed to a pay cut why would there be a points deduction or punishment from licensing? It's the same as renegotiating a contract.

This is the first step back to part time. We're in bother, but hopefully we can pull out the stops and get back on an even keel again.

No doubt the club have made some very poor decisions this year- but hopefully for once lessons have been learned.

We need a youth system similar to what UCD have. Perhaps the club could forge links with LYIT and Magee to try to attract players from outside the region

Longfordian
01/10/2008, 3:13 PM
It seems to be almost every second year Harps have to do this. Now I know most clubs including my own are guilty of being overly optimistic when deciding their budgets but there's only so many times you can go to the well that is the goodwill of the Donegal sporting public. Good luck with everything though.

finnpark
01/10/2008, 3:14 PM
There is going to be serious licencing problems for 80% of all el clubs at the end of this season and how the FAI will sort out the mess is anyones guess. Next Up will be Bohs as they face 2 huge court cases in the next month and if they lose both the ramifications for them could be shelsesque.

The players accepted their pay cutts so whats the problem.

lofty9
01/10/2008, 3:16 PM

Thank you.

Mr Finnpark, even without this latest setback occurring, I would be very surprised if Paul was your manager next year. Trying to negotiate things like free coach travel every week to keep the club afloat are bound to have an adverse affect on the stress levels of a very committed and already highly stressed man!

As for Derry over performing etc, so what?

Mr A
01/10/2008, 3:19 PM
Good riddance to him.

finnpark
01/10/2008, 3:23 PM
Thank you.

Mr Finnpark, even without this latest setback occurring, I would be very surprised if Paul was your manager next year. Trying to negotiate things like free coach travel every week to keep the club afloat are bound to have an adverse affect on the stress levels of a very committed and already highly stressed man!

As for Derry over performing etc, so what?

What other committments has he?

The good thing this year is the fitness levels of the team and their workrate and trying. The bad thing is the players that came in and also some poor tactics. If he keeps Harps up then he has done his job. Look at UCD and Galway who were establised, they are floundering

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 3:24 PM

80% of clubs? Are you serious? The only club in the first division in any trouble are Kildare who could just go amateur anyway. In the premier division, even if Cork, Cobh, Sligo and Bohs don't get licences that's still only 4 out of 22 clubs.

I can't see anyone but Cork not getting a licence and even then I don't think they'll have any problems once their new owners come in..

gufct
01/10/2008, 3:31 PM
Holiday song when did u get back from never never land.

redobit
Why didn't you try to get players to take a wage cut though? If the club was in debt would it not make sense to try and save as much money as possible by cutting wages?

IMO the club is trying to honour the committments it gave to its players at the start of the season. Hopefully this will stand to us next year, if a player knows they will be payed in full every week, as agreed, then we might have a chance of keeping some of our current players for next season. Why go somewhere where u could have a pay cut.

jinxy lilywhite
This is an absolute disgrace. No wonder UCD fans are p*ssed off. Their top flight status is in jepordy and they are doing things right off the pitch where Harps have obviously overspent and cant hide the money problems anymore. All these financial problems and asking players to take a pay cut is making a mockery of the whole situation. Every one of these clubs should be brought bang to rights and relegated. Seriously this has gotten way out of hand. You can't commit to signing a player on a contact for X amount and then turn around and say we can only pay Y.
No effin wonder the media laugh at the league.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 3:35 PM
I think Sheridan's sig sums my thoughts up no this whole affair nicely. Thanks for preserving it, Sheridan.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 3:41 PM
Holiday song when did u get back from never never land.

Where's that? Monaghan? :confused:

IMO the club is trying to honour the committments it gave to its players at the start of the season. Hopefully this will stand to us next year, if a player knows they will be payed in full every week, as agreed, then we might have a chance of keeping some of our current players for next season. Why go somewhere where u could have a pay cut.

I can understand trying to honour the contracts of the players and I wasn't suggesting that the club should force a pay cut on all the players but surely some renegotion of terms with the higher earners could have been possible? Less wages per week but over an extended term perhaps? Do Sligo have a lot of players coming to the end of their contract at the moment, and if so will they have problems resigning them for next season?

rebus2008
01/10/2008, 3:41 PM
Lads,
Just curious, whats would the likes of the full time players at Harps be getting?

I remember reading a year or two ago when Rovers were in lower division, they had a weekly wage bill of around 25k. Hardly correct is?

What is norm for various clubs throughout the league?

What are high/lows for various clubs?

micls
01/10/2008, 3:59 PM
80% of clubs? Are you serious? The only club in the first division in any trouble are Kildare who could just go amateur anyway. In the premier division, even if Cork, Cobh, Sligo and Bohs don't get licences that's still only 4 out of 22 clubs.

Drogs? Galway? Harps?

7 out of 12 in the premier in serious trouble this season. Dunno about the first but thats a crazy amount

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:00 PM
Missing one more at least...

micls
01/10/2008, 4:08 PM
Missing one more at least...

??

UCD, Derry, Rovers, Bray, Pats?

Which one

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:10 PM
Time will tell. Probably.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 4:13 PM
Drogs? Galway? Harps?

7 out of 12 in the premier in serious trouble this season. Dunno about the first but thats a crazy amount

Clubs will take stock and work out new wage plans for next year and get their premier licences. There is no way the FAI are going to strip all these clubs of a premier licence even though they should.

Galway and Cobh will get relegated so it won't matter if they do or don't get one but the FAI don't have the balls to punish the other clubs.

passerrby
01/10/2008, 4:13 PM
budget projections for the year were agreed with the fai licensing department so they to must take some of he blame for allowing this to happen
and yes holiday it must be never never land to you never never win land.

micls
01/10/2008, 4:15 PM
budget projections for the year were agreed with the fai licensing department so they to must take some of he blame for allowing this to happen
and yes holiday it must be never never land to you never never win land.

To an extent maybe but for example they couldnt have know that Arkaga would pull out and renege on tehir deal with us. i would complain that the written agreement was useless though.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 4:18 PM
Are all these clubs breaking their 65% wage cap? We keep getting word about clubs not being able to pay players but nobody seems to be referring to the wage cap anymore.. If clubs are breaking the rules regarding the wage cap then they should be punished, relegation if necessary!

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:23 PM
If they're not, then the wage cap needs looking at.

It seems though that all these clubs need some action taken against them by the FAI if the FAI are to have any shred of credibility and if the same thing isn't to happen next year. But you obviously can't relegate two thirds of the league, and with that many teams, deducting everyone ten points won't really do much, while they don't have the money to pay a hefty fine. Tough one to call.

Longfordian
01/10/2008, 4:25 PM

It seems though that all these clubs need some action taken against them by the FAI if the FAI are to have any shred of credibility and if the same thing isn't to happen next year. But you obviously can't relegate two thirds of the league, and with that many teams, deducting everyone ten points won't really do much, while they don't have the money to pay a hefty fine. Tough one to call.

Not having the money never stopped them handing out fines before. It's the easy way out. If you cant pay it they'll just deduct it from any prize money, solidarity payments etc.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 4:26 PM
I doubt that two thirds of the league has broken the wage cap but someone has to have. The FAI needs to deduct those who have points or relegate them in order to show people that this kind of messing around won't be tolerated next year.

micls
01/10/2008, 4:28 PM

I think that has to happen anyway. How did we get away with being over the wage cap for the months before Arkaga pulled out? They werent putting money in....Did the FAI simply take their word that theyd put it in at some stage.

The FAI were informed at the start of the season by someone in our club about the reckless spending. That they did nothing until Arkaga pulled out completely is strange to say teh least

Dodge
01/10/2008, 4:30 PM
Most clubs in serious trouble for the past 20 years. Only real difference this year is that some seem to be doing something about it

Longfordian
01/10/2008, 4:31 PM
I doubt that two thirds of the league has broken the wage cap but someone has to have. The FAI needs to deduct those who have points or relegate them in order to show people that this kind of messing around won't be tolerated next year.

Technically nobody's broken the rule yet as it was always to be your total spending v. income for the year. Obviously some clubs will break it.