PDA

View Full Version : Welterweight Division

Pike B
30/09/2008, 4:22 PM
This has to be the new Champion division in boxing. For years it was heavyweight, then middleweight, but for the last 5 years this is number one.
This fact was never more apparent, than last Saturday night and the greatest finish to a fight in many years. Sugar Shane Moseley, was at least 4 points down on the scorecards to Ricardo Mayorga, when with one minute to go in round 12, he went after him. He knocked him with a three punch combo with 20 seconds left. With the ref taking an age to count, it looked like the bell would save the Nicuraguan, but with one second left, and just one punch, Moseley knocked him out, winning officialy with a knockout after 2mins and 59secs of round 12. Rocky 7 is what the over hyper sky commentator called it. I was off my seat. It was superb.

Pike B
30/09/2008, 4:29 PM
Here's some class welterweights around at the moment:
Floyd Mayweather (Retired) But I think we'll see him fight again.
Carlos Baldomir
Antonio Margarito
Ricky Hatton
Miguel Cotto
Shane Mosley
Oscar De La Hoya
Josh Clottey
Carlos Quintana
Paul Williams
Andre Berto
Kermit Cintron

Burny89
01/10/2008, 4:15 AM
Pike B how the hell could you say Mayorga was 3 or 4 rounds up, are you sure you weren't officiating at the Olympics. It turns out 2 judges had Mosley easily winning and one judge had Mayorga by a couple of rounds, and that was described as shocking

It was a pretty ****ty fight tho

shakermaker1982
01/10/2008, 6:37 AM
superb finish but the fight was dire. Mosley looks shot and should retire. The Mosley of old wouldn't have got hit never mind be involved in a struggle with a slugger like Mayorga (tough son of a gun but has always been exposed at the top level, bar the Vernon Forrest fight.

Nobody will go near Margarito unfortunately - Hatton would get a serious pasting so is content enough to keep fighting non punchers like Lazcano and Paulie Malinaggi.

Pike B
01/10/2008, 3:31 PM
Pike B how the hell could you say Mayorga was 3 or 4 rounds up, are you sure you weren't officiating at the Olympics. It turns out 2 judges had Mosley easily winning and one judge had Mayorga by a couple of rounds, and that was described as shocking

It was a pretty ****ty fight tho
I thought as Mayorga dragged him into a scrap, the judges would see it going his way. I had it that way anyhow. It was a poor fight but the finish, was unreal. I agree 100%, Mosley past his best a long way.

Pike B
19/11/2008, 8:22 AM
Hatton versus Malinaggi Saturday night.
A lot of skills this guy but no knockout power.
Hatton in 10 for me..

paul_oshea
20/11/2008, 1:20 PM
surely this is light-welterweight?