PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup

finnpark
29/09/2008, 11:00 PM
Galway United vs Cork/Derry

St Pats vs Bohs

-----------------------------------

Galway get a big gate so it will help them. I really don't want Galway to qualify for Europe, it would be dreadful for the league :o

I think it could be Galway vs Cork which will be a hard game for Cork there.

I would love to see Pats win it at a packed RDS but they have a terrible cup record and Bohs have a great record at Inchicore.

2 exciting semi finals.

Is the Derry-Cork match live on TV, should be a few goals in that one?

thischarmingman
29/09/2008, 11:33 PM

St Pats vs Bohs

-----------------------------------

Galway get a big gate so it will help them. I really don't want Galway to qualify for Europe, it would be dreadful for the league :o

I think it could be Galway vs Cork which will be a hard game for Cork there.

I would love to see Pats win it at a packed RDS but they have a terrible cup record and Bohs have a great record at Inchicore.

2 exciting semi finals.

Nope, match tomorrow night is not on TV. Feel free to make the short trip across the border and come support us though. :)

Both semi-finals will be on TV, if we went through it would be some night in Galway, especially given it's a bank holiday weekend afaik. Before the draw I just wanted Galway and Cork to be out of the running as a cup win for Bohs or Pats would mean a UEFA Cup spot would drop down a place in the league. As it is, either could still reach the final.

Trainee
29/09/2008, 11:57 PM
The only way Galway united can qualify for UFEA cup is to win the cup as Ufea cup rules have ben changed.(not 100% on this)

Under old UFEA Cup rules
If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league, galway utd would have UFEA cup spot

Under New UFEA Cup rules
If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league,the next highest in legue would get UFEA Cup( as changes state that no runner of the cup will be in Ufea cup.

These rules come into effect from 2009 so its not 100% certin that the new rules will be enforced in FAI cup these season

JC_GUFC
30/09/2008, 12:30 PM
The only way Galway united can qualify for UFEA cup is to win the cup as Ufea cup rules have ben changed.(not 100% on this)

Under old UFEA Cup rules
If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league, galway utd would have UFEA cup spot

Under New UFEA Cup rules
If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league,the next highest in legue would get UFEA Cup( as changes state that no runner of the cup will be in Ufea cup.

These rules come into effect from 2009 so its not 100% certin that the new rules will be enforced in FAI cup these season

Hardly makes a difference as we'll win the cup anyway! ;)

In the old rules we'd only have qualified if we lost to the Champions. If we lost to Pat's they'd qualify as the cup winners and the extra place would go to the league.

As for people hoping we wouldn't qualify - we're the only club with a 100% record in Europe. Harps lost 12-0 to Derby (16-1 on aggregate) - they only got about 2 points in the Premier League last season! ;)

pineapple stu
30/09/2008, 12:34 PM
we're the only club with a 100% record in Europe.
I can just see that being written into your IAG presentation. ;)

finnpark
30/09/2008, 12:34 PM
Hardly makes a difference as we'll win the cup anyway! ;)

In the old rules we'd only have qualified if we lost to the Champions. If we lost to Pat's they'd qualify as the cup winners and the extra place would go to the league.

As for people hoping we wouldn't qualify - we're the only club with a 100% record in Europe. Harps lost 12-0 to Derby (16-1 on aggregate) - they only got about 2 points in the Premier League last season! ;)

Still we wouldn't want a 1st division team playing in Europe now would we unless your friends in the FAI will relegate a few teams above you just so that you are not relegated. Football should be played on the pitch, not in some FAI boardroom ;)

Also, is it a coincidence that you keep getting home ties in the cup competitions, I DON'T THINK SO

thischarmingman
30/09/2008, 4:52 PM
Also, is it a coincidence that you keep getting home ties in the cup competitions, I DON'T THINK SO
Doesn't bother us. :D

finnpark
30/09/2008, 4:56 PM
Doesn't bother us. :D

Yes, especially since Cork are your bogey team :o 1-4 Cork tonight! :D

thischarmingman
30/09/2008, 5:05 PM
Yes, especially since Cork are your bogey team :o 1-4 Cork tonight! :D
Yeah, I'm far more worried about this game than I was about our last two. Don't get me wrong, the 6-1 win in Wexford was brilliant and the terrace in the second half was great craic ("Wallace give us a wave...") but this is the kind of game where the nerves kick in hours before, and where every tackle and chance will be met by cheers and roars. And if we score the place will be mental. We're due a win though...hopefully.

(OT) I went on my first date with my girlfriend the night Cork beat us 4-1 in Brandywell (I wouldn't have made the game anyway, as I was based in Dublin). Halfway through an impeccably behaved and otherwise impressive performance I checked my mobile for the score...my mouth must have hit the floor but it recoved quickly enough to unleash a barrage of profanities and swearing at my mobile screen before looking up again and saying through gritted teeth with a glazed look on my eyes, "No, nothing's wrong at all..."

Con-Con
30/09/2008, 9:30 PM
Nice prediction:D

robertob
30/09/2008, 9:51 PM
And once again the clash of Galway and Derry in a semi-cupfinal (remember league cup)! :p

Because of Corks knockout against Derry tonight in a dramatically penalty-shootout!

eamo1
30/09/2008, 10:21 PM
Im pretty sure the new rules for qualifying for the UEFA(Europa Cup) cup dont kick in(pardon the pun) till next season.That would be 09-10 season.So this is the last year it can happen that we(Utd) could scab a UEFA cup place if we lose to Bohs.Its a huge IF though,id prefer if this game was away from home.In saying that though the only games weve won at home this season were cup games so heres hoping for one more.:)

Candystripe
01/10/2008, 4:58 AM
Just posting this now after the Derry V Cork game.

It's just as well either Derry,Cork or Galway are in the final as it means there will be a good attendance for the final in the RDS as Dublin teams have been outnumbered 3/1 in recent finals by "country teams"

In 2006............. "Derry played St Pats at Landsdown Rd and 12,000 from Derry showed up making the 290mile return journey while St Pats could only muster up 3,000 to travel the 1.5 mile trip across town."

A famous sad quote!!!!!

Dodge
01/10/2008, 8:52 AM
Well done on the crowd. 12,000 there alst night?

Derry
01/10/2008, 10:38 AM
Well done on the crowd. 12,000 there alst night?

You are probaly the worst supported team in Dublin, so i wouldn't be questioning any other teams about their support. Richardson said on MNS that most people wanted a Dublin team and a country team to meet in the final, as it would be the better final. If there were to be two Dublin teams in the final to get a crowd numbering more than 10000 they would have to let half of them in free, or almost free, like Pats have to do to get a crowd.

Dodge
01/10/2008, 10:45 AM
You are probaly the worst supported team in Dublin, so i wouldn't be questioning any other teams about their support. Richardson said on MNS that most people wanted a Dublin team and a country team to meet in the final, as it would be the better final. If there were to be two Dublin teams in the final to get a crowd numbering more than 10000 they would have to let half of them in free, or almost free, like Pats have to do to get a crowd.

Yes, our crowds are poor. No question. All LOI crowds are. I'd love more but apparently ours is the highest average outside of Cork and Derry.

I was asking how many of the 12,000 you're bringing to the cup final were there last night?

finnpark
01/10/2008, 11:01 AM
I hope for a Pats Derry final or Bohs Derry final as Derry should bring a huge crowd and atmosphere to the RDS. I think Galway have a pretty good record against Derry though drawing twice this season with Muckers if memory serves me correctly.

It would be great to see the RDS packed for a good cup final.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 11:14 AM
Im pretty sure the new rules for qualifying for the UEFA(Europa Cup) cup dont kick in(pardon the pun) till next season.That would be 09-10 season.So this is the last year it can happen that we(Utd) could scab a UEFA cup place if we lose to Bohs.Its a huge IF though,id prefer if this game was away from home.In saying that though the only games weve won at home this season were cup games so heres hoping for one more.:)

It does come in for the 2009-10 UEFA Europa League alright but the qualifiers for this are from the 2008 LOI season, not the 2009 LOI season. Therefore Galway United would have to win the FAI Cup to qualify for Europe, losing finalist wouldn't be enough.

Dodge
01/10/2008, 11:17 AM
Apparently UEFA have rejected the proposal to take that losing cup finalist spot away, so the status quo remains. A good decision IMO

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 11:27 AM
Apparently UEFA have rejected the proposal to take that losing cup finalist spot away, so the status quo remains. A good decision IMO

I didn't hear that, thanks Dodge.. Yeah it is a good decision alright.

lofty9
01/10/2008, 11:28 AM
I was asking how many of the 12,000 you're bringing to the cup final were there last night?

Unfortunately that is the nature of the bandwagon. Bear in mind though, that a lot of supporters like myself would bring along the kids to a final, whereas I wouldn't take them usually to the Brandywell.

SwanVsDalton
01/10/2008, 2:02 PM
Unfortunately that is the nature of the bandwagon. Bear in mind though, that a lot of supporters like myself would bring along the kids to a final, whereas I wouldn't take them usually to the Brandywell.

Yeah Dodge leave them kids alone! :o

micls
01/10/2008, 2:05 PM

just over 1800

Dodge
01/10/2008, 2:12 PM
Yeah Dodge leave them kids alone! :o

:D

Yeah, that’s the point I was making. When you're regularly getting crowds of 12,000 then you've every right to be crowing about it. We get roughly the same crowd for a final as we would a semi in Inchicore. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Sure I'd love a bit fo a bandwagon but Dublin clubs won't ever get that.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a Pats v Galway final anyway

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 3:40 PM
Whose proposal was it initially? Platini?

Dodge
01/10/2008, 4:26 PM
Not Platini. My guess would be the Scottish FA. They were certainly talking about it.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 4:29 PM
It'd suit them alright with the likes of Gretna and Queen of the South messing up their national co-efficient in recent seasons..

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 4:29 PM
The SFA brought it in for this year after Gretna embarrassed the league (and then, curiously, had to watch as the same thing happened the next two years with Dunfermline and Queen of the South). But wasn't it announced that the Cup runners-up won't be getting into Europe in the future when details of the coefficient revisions were announced? Seems strange that an SFA decision would be reported like that. Or maybe I picked it up wrong.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 5:26 PM
But wasn't it announced that the Cup runners-up won't be getting into Europe in the future when details of the coefficient revisions were announced?

It was announced when they revealed the new UEFA Europa League but they've gone back on the decision since then.

pineapple stu
01/10/2008, 5:28 PM
Cheers. Good decision.