PDA

View Full Version : Cup Semi

Mr Maroon
29/09/2008, 7:40 PM
Cork or Derry at home
Sunday 26th

eamo1
29/09/2008, 7:45 PM
Id feel more confident if it was away from home to be honest but we are there and looking forward to it.we lost to Harps at home in a semi final on a Sunday afternoon about 10 seasons ago if i remember correctly.

corbyeire
29/09/2008, 7:51 PM
thats right - there was a massive crowd down ~7000 in the ****ing rain

was it minogue who scored for them or is my mind playing tricks on me

Mr A
29/09/2008, 8:57 PM
Speakie and Donal O Brien got the goals that day - they're here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYYnf2d64I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj746I8gG2c

Great day, some crowd and a fantastic Harps side at the time.

Mr A
29/09/2008, 9:06 PM
Class feature here from the cup meeting the year before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-RDUWa7Lcc

That was my first ever visit to Terryland and to Galway and great craic it was too. I remember meeting the 3 Barbados lads in the Alley and they were dead sound. Lavine told me he would score a hat-trick at Finn Park in the replay.

He didn't though.

Paddyfield
29/09/2008, 10:24 PM
We are potentially 90 minutes away from Europe.

If Bohs beat Pat's and reach the Final whilst also winning the League, then all we have to do is win our semi final and we will be in Europe. Bohs can't represent Ireland in 2 different European competitiions.

Mind you, that rule is changing next season which means beaten Finalists won't qualify for European.

Wishful thinking. We need to beat Cork in the League on Friday first.

Trainee
29/09/2008, 10:32 PM
Lads Its a good draw

we have a great chance of beating either team
we could have beaten derry in league cup semi only for mark gough

Promo for this game has to start this week if we want 4,000+ people in terryland the whole of galway city and county must be made aware of this game and its importance

Lets hope the players will forget about the cup till for next 3 weeks as we have cork on fri,sligo sat week, and bray the week after as we need a min of 7 points to have a chance to stay up

corbyeire
30/09/2008, 4:33 PM
Speakie and Donal O Brien got the goals that day - they're here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYYnf2d64I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj746I8gG2c

Great day, some crowd and a fantastic Harps side at the time.

cheers - it was that name speak i was cursing!!!

Mr Maroon
30/09/2008, 9:32 PM
Derry won 5-3 on pens tonight.

Galway United v Derry City at Terryland Park Sunday 26th October; 3.15pm.

Trainee
30/09/2008, 9:52 PM
Derry won 5-3 on pens tonight.

Galway United v Derry City at Terryland Park Sunday 26th October; 3.15pm.

Derry twice in less than a week and even maybe 3 times if a replay

Paddyfield
30/09/2008, 10:09 PM
Derry twice in less than a week and even maybe 3 times if a replay

...and they already knocked us out of the League Cup at the semi final stage in Terryland.

Trainee
30/09/2008, 10:22 PM
...and they already knocked us out of the League Cup at the semi final stage in Terryland.

with the aid of mark gough

Play like we did in League cup we have a great chance we were on top till they got the peno and went 1up

They should be a good crowd at this game as Danial Nick and the rest of office have spent the deloping a promotion plan for this game we should aim for 4,000 utd fans at this game and derry want 1000 tickets also

Note for anyone who wants a ticket for new stand buy your ticket early as first 1500 tickets sold will be offered a seat in the new stand

GalwayFrancis
30/09/2008, 11:39 PM
with the aid of mark gough

Play like we did in League cup we have a great chance we were on top till they got the peno and went 1up

They should be a good crowd at this game as Danial Nick and the rest of office have spent the deloping a promotion plan for this game we should aim for 4,000 utd fans at this game and derry want 1000 tickets also

Note for anyone who wants a ticket for new stand buy your ticket early as first 1500 tickets sold will be offered a seat in the new stand

excellent news, fair play to all at Terryland.... if I bump into terry the tiger in town over the next three weeks, ill be sure to tell him about the game :rolleyes:

Mr Maroon
06/10/2008, 4:22 PM
Download posters here
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/match-previews/fai-cup-semifinal---gufc-v-derry-city.html

eamo1
07/10/2008, 10:55 PM
I was thinking today is there any chance the semi could be played Sunday Evening or night?Does it have to be afternoon?It will take away alot of the atmosphere i think having it on Sunday afternoon.I suppose it has to be on at that time for t.v etc but its a shame.Terryland has been a lively place the last few home games in both stands and think will be a great atmosphere for this game.I just remember the Semi Final vs Harps in '98 on a Sunday afternoon was nowhwere near as good for atmosphere as the quarter final was vs Pats at night.Getting tickets tomorrow.

WoodquayBoy
08/10/2008, 9:16 AM
They should try and move it back to the evening as itclashes with the county hurling final and the televised game between Chelsea and Liverpool, as far as I know. It is bad enough it is on the SUnday of a Bank Hoiliday, but those additional things will also hit the crowd figure

corbyeire
08/10/2008, 9:54 AM
i suppose the atmopshere would be better in the floodlights but id say there is no chance of it changing once rte decided on the schedule

gufct
08/10/2008, 6:33 PM
Club can do nothing about RTE calls the tune. Looks like the county final wont be on that sunday as Loughrea game is called off due to the death of Vinny & Johnny Mahers Mother.

Terry
08/10/2008, 10:50 PM
They should try and move it back to the evening as itclashes with the county hurling final and the televised game between Chelsea and Liverpool, as far as I know. It is bad enough it is on the SUnday of a Bank Hoiliday, but those additional things will also hit the crowd figure

dont forget there is a race meet up in ballybrit that it is clashing with also !

As for atmosphere, there used to be great atmospheres up there on sundays when it was the old terryland, in the old shed! Cant see why that cant happen again one more time?

eamo1
09/10/2008, 8:24 PM
Great to see the staff in Zhivago know exactly what they are selling.The book of tickets is labelled "F.A Cup Tickets":o.

Mr Maroon
09/10/2008, 8:39 PM
Great to see the staff in Zhivago know exactly what they are selling.The book of tickets is labelled "F.A Cup Tickets":o.
They seemed to think I wanted egg chasing tickets when I went in for mine.

foxx92
10/10/2008, 3:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSyQ9MvxzbA#

Hopefully it'l pursuade a few to go.

pixiehead
10/10/2008, 10:45 PM
I know the ground will probably be full but is the TV camera still gonna face the old stand. It looks shocking at the LEague games. Can they not fix the one in the Old stand. Its bad advertisement on MNS:confused:

GuisaSaigon
11/10/2008, 8:45 AM
I know the ground will probably be full but is the TV camera still gonna face the old stand. It looks shocking at the LEague games. Can they not fix the one in the Old stand. Its bad advertisement on MNS:confused:

Ah Pixiehead we're not that bad in the old stand:D

Mr Maroon
11/10/2008, 2:57 PM
There's a problem with the gantry on the old stand.

Metrostars
20/10/2008, 4:02 PM
Hi lads, I'll be back in Galway for the weekend, this will be a chance for me to see United for the first time in about 10 years. Will there be a big crowd? Do I need to tell my brother to get tickets now or can we get them at the field on Sunday?

Patrick Dunne
20/10/2008, 4:11 PM
Crowd will be anything from 3,000 upwards. If you want a seat in the new stand, you would be advised to buy tickets beforehand. Otherwise, be at the ground by 2.45pm.

gufct
20/10/2008, 4:12 PM
if you want to be guaranteed a stand seat you would need to get one rapid as tickets for Corribside are sellin quickly and Derry will have half the old stand

Demoshield
20/10/2008, 4:24 PM
Oh Dear!!!
Suspensions From Wednesday 22nd October 2008

John Fitzgerald (Galway United) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined 40e as a result of reaching eight (8) penalty points.

Marc McCulloch (Galway United) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined 40e as a result of reaching eight (8) penalty points.

John Russell (Galway United) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined 25e as a result of reaching four (4) penalty points.

Murphy and Davoren are ineligible.
5 of first team squad out so far. Chance for some of the A team to shine.
Could be worse I suppose, they could all be missing for a league game.

pixiehead
20/10/2008, 4:46 PM
Oh Dear!!!
Suspensions From Wednesday 22nd October 2008

John Fitzgerald (Galway United) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined 40e as a result of reaching eight (8) penalty points.

Marc McCulloch (Galway United) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined 40e as a result of reaching eight (8) penalty points.

John Russell (Galway United) suspended for ONE (1) competitive match and fined 25e as a result of reaching four (4) penalty points.

Murphy and Davoren are ineligible.
5 of first team squad out so far. Chance for some of the A team to shine.
Could be worse I suppose, they could all be missing for a league game.

Does this include the Cup game Sunday?? :eek::eek:

gufct
20/10/2008, 9:39 PM
Team For Derry

Rogers
Paul Sinnott/W. McDonagh
Kenna
A. Keane
Seamus Conneely
Jayo
Lester
Foley
J. Keane
Vinny
Glynn

Bit weak at the back but confidence is sky high which could compensate for lack of strength.

sadloserkid
20/10/2008, 10:07 PM
Tickets available via ticketmaster I presume? Or will I actually have to travel up to Galway in the interim to get some?

Mr Maroon
20/10/2008, 10:09 PM
Tickets available via ticketmaster I presume? Or will I actually have to travel up to Galway in the interim to get some?
Ticketmaster.
0818 719 300
www.ticketmaster.ie

sadloserkid
20/10/2008, 10:10 PM
Ticketmaster.
0818 719 300
www.ticketmaster.ie

Cheers.

Paddyfield
20/10/2008, 10:10 PM

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004146DA265171?artistid=962158&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=10004

Mr Maroon
20/10/2008, 10:35 PM
Best case scenario for this season:
Connacht Cup Champions, FAI Cup Champions, qualify for Setanta Cup and Uefa Cup, finish 9th in the league.
Not too bad overall.