PDA

View Full Version : Oh what a night....

shedite
03/10/2003, 10:13 PM
For those of you who weren't there, well, the match can be summeb up quickly. City led 2-0 after 14 minutes, sat back, and left in last minute equaliser.

But then, Waterford keeper went ballistic celebrating like they had one and started dancing in front of the shed. Then to waste the last few seconds he decided to kick the ball at a supporter leaning on the wall which apparently hit someone in the face. On final whistle he danced more before quickly moving towards the center circle when he spotted someone running from the corner towards him. The dude got rugby tackled by some stewards. Some others tried getting past stewards too but failed.

Outside the ground city fans gathered and waited for the team, running between exits to make sure there was no sneaky escape. Eventually brian lennox came out and pleaded for us to go home, as did Dolan. Eventually they called in the reinforcements and had a line of stewards and gardai in front of us. The waterford manager came out to ask us to be peaceful. Then the players came out when the bus arrived. They all boarded but for the cocky goalkeeper who came out wearing a baseball cap. He went back to Dolan and told him something like, I hope your proud of this. He then got pushed back into the stadium by stewards.

The bus pulled off and teh goalkeeper was taken away in a car and he met up with the bus halfway between the kinsale road roundabout and douglas village.

Also, a guard spotted a waterford player doing something to fans and got on the bus to get him but he was stopped by the manager. Don't really know what that was about.

I think this is the most I've posted in all other posts combined!

Anyone else spot anything that I missed?

RedX
03/10/2003, 10:33 PM
First of all terrible display by City tonight.Completely overun by Waterford for most of the game.Although 2-0 up after 15 mins we were lucky to get a draw at the end...

On the Dan O'Connor problem.In all my time supporting football i have been lucky to have seen many many games at the X and up and down the country with City.I have been over to England a few times supporting Ipswich Town and i have also been at a few Ireland games.I have never seen such provacation from an opposing player at any game.Fair dues to W

RedX
03/10/2003, 10:41 PM
First of all terrible display by City tonight.Completely overun by Waterford for most of the game.Although 2-0 up after 15 mins we were lucky to get a draw at the end...

On the Dan O'Connor problem.In all my time supporting football i have been lucky to have seen many many games at the X and up and down the country with City.I have been over to England a few times supporting Ipswich Town and i have also been at a few Ireland games.I have never seen such provacation from an opposing player at any game.Fair dues to Waterford tonight as at times they were outstanding so this is no sour grapes for any Waterford fans reading this.Dan O Connor is an absolute disgrace.I made a complaint to Citys head of security afterwards and he assured me that an official complaint has been lodged with the guards(hope this is true).There is no doubt we have the video evidence and this guy should be banned from football for a long time.That was the closest i have seen to an all out riot from the shed.And i am not talking about scumbags or kids.There were many many grown men that probably rarely even shout at games totally incensed at O Connor actions.I am now hoping that City will follow up on this imediately.Last week we were reading about Rovers fans on the rampage in Dublin and how they were kicked out of Inchicore.We also read about how the guards have blacklisted certain fans around the country.Well a message to the guards now.Check out the Waterford United goalkeeper before someone gets hurt.How this guy represents our country is a disgrace.....

TheNorthsider
04/10/2003, 7:53 AM
add to dcikhead dans crimes punching players in the back as frees and corners come over

Krusty The Mon
04/10/2003, 8:05 AM
sounds like u boys got a bad dose of the blues last night.;)

patsh
04/10/2003, 8:58 AM
I thought our back four played well enough, especially Woodsy.
He stopped one on the line and made some really crucial tackles. Mickey did quite well, George played all right, but the rest were SH*TE.
An absolutely terrible performance, the worst from the side in a long time.
Passing the ball was forgotten, nobody seems to know what to do with a free kick, there seemed to no real fight in the team.
A total shambles.
Pat Dolan bringing on Behan was no help either.
Have so many players ever played as poorly in the one game?
I don't thing Waterford are much use, but we were so poor we made them look good.

As regards that cnut Connor, he has always been a scummy little gurrier, but even he went to far last night. How does he get away with it?
Two fingers to the crowd, shouting and all those gestures, surely there is some kind of sanction against the kind of incitement he was at last night?

Still though, lads, the club could be in trouble now about the bottles, coins and fellows running on to the pitch....:(

patsh
04/10/2003, 9:12 AM
Originally posted by shedite
1. They all boarded but for the cocky goalkeeper who came out wearing a baseball cap. He went back to Dolan and told him something like, I hope your proud of this. He then got pushed back into the stadium by stewards.

2. Also, a guard spotted a waterford player doing something to fans and got on the bus to get him but he was stopped by the manager.
Some points about this.
1. Surely Lennox/Dolan must do something about this kind of carry on? If they can charge Dolan with disrepute for saying the truth, that keeper must get a ban for his behaviour last night?
2. If a Guard felt he had to speak to someone, surely he saw something which is not acceptable and will go further?
3. City may get into trouble for this. It's not good for stuff like this to happen at a club, no matter what the circumstances.

TheNorthsider
04/10/2003, 9:15 AM
agree patsh the club could be in trouble over the events at the end of the game but if they are then o connor should also be punished for his part in the incident

niamh
04/10/2003, 10:54 AM
Holy God. I wasn't there last night. I wasn't surprised but I was ****ed off when I heard that the final result was 2-2. Was talking to my brother who was at the game and he mentioned that the keeper was acting the muppet but this is serious trouble. He has to take some of the responsibility for the reaction of the fans, but I agree there could be some trouble for the club. What do the papers say?

patsh
04/10/2003, 1:15 PM
So far, not a mention in either the Times or the Echo about events at the end of the game.

niamh
04/10/2003, 1:29 PM
Well I wouldn't expect anything in the Times but the Echo should have that covered. Especially since their print deadline was this morning and not late last night.

terry irish
04/10/2003, 1:53 PM
O'Connor should be banned for a few games after last night

Éanna
04/10/2003, 2:49 PM
I thought George and Woodsie both played well, Doyler had a good first half. Greg, even aside from the goals, had an excellent game until Dolan's ludicrous decision to put him out on the wing. As for the rest I can't say much positive, so I won't say anything at all. :mad:

NorthoftheLee
06/10/2003, 8:34 AM
i thought City played well enough for the 1st 20 mins, ok for the other 25 min of the first half....were still in control of the game until the waterford breakaway goal, after that they were terrible.....completely forgot how to pass the ball, and sat back and hoofed the ball a lot...lost posession way too easily...I still think waterford arent a good team,....

as for Dan connors, well the man proved what a muppett he is, his actions were totally over the top, he has to be done by the FAI for behaviour which could have led to trouble........hitting the young fella in the face with the ball was pathetic on his part......

Saying that.....the running onto the pitch was stupid, throwing plastic bottles onto the pitch was just as stupid(doesnt do the club any favours financially)....and waiting outside the ground to shout abuse at the said player wasn't exactly going to achieve much either.??????????

Cityace
06/10/2003, 9:29 AM
Will someone tell georgie to stop taking free's, he might be our star player but he cant kick a free for nuts.

Gary
06/10/2003, 10:28 AM
The only thinbg that worries me about George is the amount of bookings he picks up for lip. in fact i reckon all his bookings have been for dissent.

That said, if u changed that from him, he may not be half the opponent.

pete
06/10/2003, 11:22 AM
I wasn't at the game so can't comment on any of it.

Maybe someone who was at the game could email tv3 telling them where the incidents occured & ask Rico to comment on it?