PDA

View Full Version : New To Eircom

Mattblade
03/10/2003, 10:00 AM
Hi

I'm moving to Dublin to live and work on a permanent basis, and being a huge footy fan, was wondering which team to follow.

I know very little about the league or the clubs, which would people say had the friendliest (or least friendly) fans, where would an English infidel get the best welcome? Who has the best atmosphere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pete
03/10/2003, 10:50 AM
Might depend on where you end up living.

Bohemians & Shelbourne (northside), St Patricks (southside) & Shamrock Rovers (depends).

Macy
03/10/2003, 10:53 AM
Check out a few games and see which suits best....

Mattblade
03/10/2003, 10:57 AM
I'm going to be on the southside, probably Sandymount or Ballsbridge. Looks like St Pat's then.

I'm not the "shopping around" kind, like to pick one and stick to it. Probably explains why I've been a Sheffield United fan all my life!

wws
03/10/2003, 11:33 AM
jaysus conor i dnt know where to start!

just on the manager thing (how'd you guess!)

i want my manager known for winning things (1 out of 3 ...so far)not for being a trashy gossip columnist in a low rent tabloid!

haha

Mattblade
03/10/2003, 11:43 AM
Thanks Conor. Plus St Pats play in red and white, means I won't have to change my scarf ;-)

And no, a Blade would never support Leeds or W*******y. Especially the way the leagues are going at the moment!

gspain
03/10/2003, 12:25 PM
UCD would be your local team in Ballsbridge but probably Pats or Shels would be better - no fans at Belfield- go to a few game sand see what you think.

ger121
03/10/2003, 1:47 PM
You should go to the Bohemians v's St Patricks Athletic FAI Cup semi final at Dalymount on Sunday at 3pm. It will give you an idea what to expect at a match. There will be a good crowd at the game and you can have a look at two of the Dublin teams.For ticket details and directions visit,

www.bohemians.ie

Well worth a visit I'd say:)

Mattblade
03/10/2003, 1:51 PM
Unfortunately I'm stuck in England until the 17th.

Slash/ED
03/10/2003, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Shels - big club, great ground, good football, poor attendances.

Our attendences have been as good as any of the Dublin clubs this year, and Bohs biggest league attendence was against us. I wouldn't mind if what you were saying is true but looking at the other clubs your comparing us to it plainly isn't.

But, living on the southside, I'd say you'd be best going to Pats. Their support can be very good even if their ground isn't great and their style of football seems to be improving alot, plus you could well be attending a cup final in Lansedown Road this season too.

Mattblade
03/10/2003, 3:00 PM
What date is the final?

Slash/ED
03/10/2003, 3:06 PM
Sun 26 Oct, I could very well be wrong so I'm open to correction on that one, but that's what it has on a fixture list I've seen.

John83
03/10/2003, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by pete
Might depend on where you end up living.

Bohemians & Shelbourne (northside), St Patricks (southside) & Shamrock Rovers (depends).

:mad:

Enda M
03/10/2003, 4:07 PM
friendliest fans definetly not shamrock rovers

A face
04/10/2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by pete
& Shamrock Rovers (depends).

:D

TheRealRovers
04/10/2003, 9:08 PM
If you don't want to labelled a scum bag then don't support Shamrock Rovers

crc
06/10/2003, 8:22 AM
If you really want to fit in - a lot of people in Ireland support teams in a different country.

I suggest Viktoria Zizkov of Prague :D - Ryanair should be able to take you there, just like all the other s***h**ds!!!!!:ball:

crc
06/10/2003, 8:24 AM
...seriously though, you can choose one of the big four based on info given above - but don't choose Dublin City!

pete
06/10/2003, 11:12 AM
As a Sheffield Utd fan i think you should just support all the visiting teams i.e. don't support those capital city teams. Its alwayts better being an away fan anyways.

:)

incident
06/10/2003, 2:23 PM
Having been in roughly the same position, here's my experiences:

I moved (from england) to Dublin in Jan 2001. I ended up living in Phibsboro, about 2 minutes walk from Dalymount Park, so the only choice for me was to follow the mighty bohs.. I moved back to blighty for a while a couple months ago..

anyway, here's some (i hope) useful stuff -

Accent:
An english accent can be a really bad thing in dublin.. while the vast majority of people are fine, you'll meet some idiots who automatically hate you for your accent.
Luckily, EL fans on the whole are a great bunch. The only eircom league fans who I've ever had any hassle with are the Shamrock Rovers fans.
It's entirely possible they just hated me cos I had a Bohs shirt on, and the accent gave them more ammunition, but I'd recommend staying away from them anyway as they've by far the worst thug element in the league.

anything from here on is my opinion only, others will disagree

Football:
I'd reckon that Bohs play the best (ie passing) game, followed by Shels. UCD are doing badly in the league, but whenever I've seen them, I've been quite impressed with them.
Rovers can play, a bit, and finally St Pats are the single most boring team ever. TV3 showed Cork vs Pats live on the first weekend of the season, and it was so dire that (I think) they haven't shown another live match since.

In comparison to England, I'd say Bohs and Shels would be about Div 2 level, with the rest of the league around Div 3.

Grounds:
I wouldn't worry about this too much, fact is there's no decent grounds. The best are Tolka (shels) and Dalymount (bohs) and they'd both be considered poor by, say, Div 3 standards. Most of the grounds would be about Confrence standards.

Geography:
As others have said, UCD are easily the closest club to you, but only have about 20 fans. St Pats would be next nearest, but ask yourself: can you really bring yourself to watch long balls and set pieces every week?

Hope this helps

Chris

Macy
06/10/2003, 2:34 PM
I've never had a problem with the english accent at matches (only slagging from Harps)...

Personally,

Pats: I find their fans generally the soundest and McDowells is the best pub, and this season they're playing alright stuff.

Bohs. Most fans okay, if arrogant (see above), but they have a habit of internal bitch fights

Shels. Unless you're 16 wouldn't bother

UCD. Unless you're a rugger bugger trying to be hip by being uncool, I wouldn't bother

Rovers. Generally sound enough (despite what some would have you believe), and if you enjoy a siege mentality they are the ones for you.

Dublin City. Unless you're a loner, who likes franchise football don't bother.

Bray. They're South County Dublin as well, but why bother?

UCD_4_Life
06/10/2003, 2:36 PM
If you're looking for a good reception then go to U.C.D.

We have probably one of the friendlies sets of fans you could ever hope to meet, we play good football and...um...the, er, shop has two packets of Fruit Pastilles for a Euro! Recent studies also sugges that U.C.D. are, in fact, great.

We're not particularly successful but coming from Sheffield United you should be used to that. ;)

Mattblade
06/10/2003, 2:45 PM
"can you really bring yourself to watch long balls and set pieces every week?"

We had Dave Bassett as manager for 8 years, think I'm used to it by now!

John83
06/10/2003, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
If you're looking for a good reception then go to U.C.D.

Recent studies also suggest that U.C.D. are, in fact, great.

To add to that, the football is actually pretty good, and if you sit with the twenty fans, we sing our hearts out.

What UCD_4_Life forgot to tell you was that these studies consist of a survey of opinions in the dressing room, which produced the following results:

88% said that UCD rocks
6% said that Alan Cawley rocks
6% said that Doolo sucks

Slash/ED
06/10/2003, 3:32 PM
I don't think you'll have too much problems with your accent, I know there's an English guy who sits in the middle of the Shels fans at the Drumcondra end and he's never had any hassle.

ger121
06/10/2003, 4:33 PM
Listen mate you're more than welcome no matter what team you end up supporting. The more fans we attract to the eircom league the better. Anyway having said that support Bohs, we are the Champions afterall:D :rolleyes: