PDA

View Full Version : Damien Richardson's Eye on the eL

A face
24/09/2008, 10:14 PM
Damien Richardson's Eye on the eL

I have said it before. And without any doubt whatsoever, I will say it many times again. Ireland has supplied, and still is supplying, a bountiful crop of extremely talented individuals that is absurdly disproportionate to her size and population. Sport is in many ways the heartbeat of a nation. Sport also offers an immediate reflection of the personality of a nation. While other important reflections of a society can be found for example, in its literature, architecture and other forms of the arts, the truth is that these usually require experience, thoughtful contemplation and quite serious discussion.

It is not easy to contextualise art simply because art is capable of being all things to all people. But sport possesses a simplicity at its very core. The greater the skill the more simple it appears. This is perhaps the most fundamental attraction of sport. When you survey a painting, or attend a ballet, or gasp as a tenor hits the high notes that you know immediately there is no way in the wide world you could emulate. But seeing Ronan O'Gara stick a ball on a sixpence from 80 yards or following a body swerve from Keith Fahey and having to scramble back into your seat produces ambition in the hearts of many who will attempt to follow the lead set by a country's sports stars.

Read more at www.rte.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/damienrichardson/)

GuisaSaigon
25/09/2008, 9:28 AM
Another classic from Rico!

Dodge
25/09/2008, 9:41 AM
They should collate his weekly pieces and put them in a book for christmas "The Sporting World according to Rico". I'd buy it

Paraic
25/09/2008, 9:56 AM
My favourite from A Face's excellent Q&A with Rico in '05 - classic stuff

Why did the tash go?

The realisation that the “Tash” made me far too handsome for my own good offered me only two viable options. I could retain the facial ornamentation, and the adorability it provoked amongst the female species, or. I could remove the hysteria-inducing objet d’art and allow the younger generation an unimpeded tryst with the fairer sex. As a spiritually mature individual I have long since divested myself of ego and the consequence of this state of almost permanent inner peace obviously meant that the “Tash” belonged to a different era in my life. I hope my sincerity does full justice to the profundity of your inquiry.

FULL THREAD (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=21872)

pete
25/09/2008, 10:07 AM
As a spiritually mature individual...

A what? :confused:

It would be hard to find any one with a bitter word about Rico. Always interesting if sometimes confusing.

razor
25/09/2008, 10:34 AM
It would be hard to find any one with a bitter word about Rico. Theres a few of them in the back of Dolans Jeep.

A face
25/09/2008, 1:51 PM
Theres a few of them in the back of Dolans Jeep.

Yeah but where are they all now?

Does anyone know if Alan Matthews owns a jeep?

Macy
25/09/2008, 1:55 PM
It would be hard to find any one with a bitter word about Rico.
He's just Roddy Collins without the Dublin knacker attitude, and with a thesaurus. He supports the same unsustainable model of football as Shoddy, once you decipher what the fook he's talking about.

Longfordian
25/09/2008, 2:12 PM
Yeah but where are they all now?

Does anyone know if Alan Matthews owns a jeep?

How long is he there now and you still can't spell his name correctly?. Mathews. Sorry, carry on.

A face
25/09/2008, 3:36 PM
He's just Roddy Collins without the Dublin knacker attitude, and with a thesaurus. He supports the same unsustainable model of football as Shoddy, once you decipher what the fook he's talking about.

He lost his job because of an issue that completely contradicts that.

micls
25/09/2008, 6:01 PM

Sorry but thats rubbish as proven by what AFace says

brianw82
25/09/2008, 7:10 PM
He lost his job because of an issue that completely contradicts that.

What was that issue?

pete
25/09/2008, 8:51 PM
What was that issue?

He didn't pay massive wages while at City. It might be a hindsight thing but he recently said he preferred to pay players a solid wage they could be guaranteed to receive than paying over the odds that could not be sustained.

Boh_So_Good
26/09/2008, 12:39 AM
he is a big fan of Deepak Chropra I heard.

he is just loveable beyond words!

A face
26/09/2008, 12:41 AM
He didn't pay massive wages while at City. It might be a hindsight thing but he recently said he preferred to pay players a solid wage they could be guaranteed to receive than paying over the odds that could not be sustained.

That and not signing players left right and centre. Tynan didn't like that at all.

Macy
26/09/2008, 7:33 AM
So he only paid semi ridiculous rather than totally ridiculous wages?

He supports a 10 team, fully professional league, which has been shown to be unsustainable. In fact, he probably goes on about it and the need for investors to back it up more than Shoddy

razor
26/09/2008, 8:00 AM
He supports a 10 team, fully professional league, which has been shown to be unsustainable. In fact, he probably goes on about it and the need for investors to back it up more than ShoddyI think you just deciphered it wrong, maybe a new thesaurus would fix that. :D

Dodge
26/09/2008, 8:23 AM
He supports a 10 team, fully professional league, which has been shown to be unsustainable. In fact, he probably goes on about it and the need for investors to back it up more than Shoddy

1) He never said we should do it at all costs though. I think most of us would love to see a fully professional league

2) We do need outside investment. Grounds simply aren't good enough to attract non hardcore

The ten team thing is stil open to debate. I can't see how its been any more of a failure than the 12 team league...

noby
26/09/2008, 8:49 AM
Whatever about the language used, whoever edited that piece should be brought out back and shot.

A face
26/09/2008, 9:20 AM
So he only paid semi ridiculous rather than totally ridiculous wages?

Alot of the time Rico wasn't involved in drawing up contracts/agreeing personal terms with the player ..... so have can you pin it on him?

He supports a 10 team, fully professional league, which has been shown to be unsustainable.

It hasn't been tried yet so how can it be unsustainable? When did we have this league? when were we ever in a position to try it?

If the league is ever going to get a decent foot-holding, in a good enough position so as to start attracting barstoolers then it needs to happen.

Semi-pro, part-time, mediocre, amature, uninspired football is unsustainablein this country, not full time pro football.

In fact, he probably goes on about it and the need for investors to back it up more than Shoddy

I think you'll him that himself and Shoddy and everyone else in the league dont go on about investment into the league half enough as is needed.

When you stop hearing about this you should be very very worried about the league, or else you are supporting basketball because we have no league.