PDA

View Full Version : PC: Roy Keane - Patrick Viera

Pages : [1] 2

Stevo Da Gull
24/09/2008, 4:49 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40787000/jpg/_40787339_keane_vieira_203.jpg
Keane_______V_______Viera

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/soccer/11/18/the.limey/p1_keane_2_1118.jpg

Roy Keane
Date of birth: 10-08-1971
Place of birth: Cork
Height: 5.11
Weight: 12.00
Position: Midfielder
Nationality: Irish
International Caps: 65
International Goals: 9

Career Honours:

Nottingham Forest F.C.

Full Members Cup (1): 1992

Manchester United

FA Premier League
Winner (7): 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
FA Cup
Winner (4): 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004
FA Community Shield/Charity Shield
Winner (4): 1993, 1996, 1997, 2003
UEFA Champions League Winner (1): 1999
Intercontinental Cup Winner (1): 1999
Celtic

Scottish Premier League Winner (1): 2006
Scottish League Cup Winner (1): 2006
Appearance Stats

Senior Club Appearances: 589
Senior League Appearances: 462 (12 in Ireland)
Goal Tally: 78 in total. 56 in league football. (1 in Ireland)
Patrick Viera
http://images.askmen.com/men/celeb_profiles_sports/25_patrick__vieira.jpg
Birth Date: June 23, 1976
Birth Place: Dakar (Senegal)
Nationality: French
Height: 6' 4" (1.92m)
Weight: 12.9 st (82 kg)
Position: Midfielder
International Caps: 105
International Goals: 6

Career Honours:

Arsenal

FA Premier League winner (3) 1997/98, 2001/02, 2003/04
FA Cup winner (4) 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005
FA Community Shield winner (3) 1998, 1999, 2002
Internazionale

Serie A winner (2) 2006/07, 2007/08
Italian Super Cup winner (2) 2006, 2008
France (*int)

World Cup winner 1998
European Championship winner 2000
Appearance Stats:

Senior Club Appearances: 577
Senior League Appearances: 393
Goal Tally: 49 in total. 39 league football.

NOTE!!: Patrick Viera is currently playing for Internazionale, therefore his statistics are incomplete.

John83
24/09/2008, 4:53 PM
Someone once said that Vieira'd win you a game, but Keane would win you a league. That rang true for me.

bennocelt
24/09/2008, 5:29 PM
this is kind of a no brainer
viera used to pull out of tackles for chris sakes:rolleyes:

jebus
24/09/2008, 5:58 PM
this is kind of a no brainer
viera used to pull out of tackles for chris sakes:rolleyes:

I seem to recall Vieria winning just as much tackles against Keane as Keane did aginst him. Anyway Vieria was a better passer of the ball, was only slightly inferior at tackling, was a better finisher and gets my vote....just, both were fantastic players though

Dodge
24/09/2008, 6:15 PM
Both brilliant. I'd imagine a Keane v McCarthy vote would be almost exactly the same

superfrank
24/09/2008, 7:45 PM
Tough choice.

Two top players. Viera just shaves it for not being a vindictive, career-ending grudge-bearer.

gilberto_eire
24/09/2008, 9:22 PM
I think since Keane's Irish it will never be an impartial vote....

I tried to call it fairly, and went for Viera... a great defensive midfielder who could also mix it up going forward!

irishultra
24/09/2008, 11:38 PM
Keane. I'm not saying Keane was the bestest ever player ever ever ever but he was a better player than Viera in my view. Probably the top 2 midfielders to play in the EPL.

Someone said viera was a better goalscorer...don't know about that.

look at their record at International Football...

Rebel11
25/09/2008, 1:47 AM
2 class players i loved watching the 2 of them play for me it has to be Keane do.

bennocelt
25/09/2008, 4:41 AM
I seem to recall Vieria winning just as much tackles against Keane as Keane did aginst him. Anyway Vieria was a better passer of the ball, was only slightly inferior at tackling, was a better finisher and gets my vote....just, both were fantastic players though

Well i remember one game on MOTD where they were discussing hims pulling out of a few tackles, etc. Roy Keane never did this

I honestly do think he was overrated, but football is made up of opinions

Macy
25/09/2008, 7:31 AM
Keane at his best was the better of the two. Not much in it, but Keane did it more consistently over a longer period imo.

superfrank - who's career did Keane end? It certainly wasn't Haaland if that's what you're getting at.

superfrank
25/09/2008, 8:45 AM
superfrank - who's career did Keane end? It certainly wasn't Haaland if that's what you're getting at.
How wasn't it?

Dodge
25/09/2008, 8:47 AM
Because he played after that tackle...

gustavo
25/09/2008, 8:54 AM
Interesting the way Vieira is being referred to in the past tense, I suppose once you leave England your career is over

Macy
25/09/2008, 9:23 AM
How wasn't it?
Because he played in the following season, and for all the bull about taking Keane to court, he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on (pun intended) because that tackle did not end his career.

joeSoap
25/09/2008, 9:33 AM
Keane for me. Far more passionate, better when the chips are down, and a far better captain in that I beleive he was respected by his opponents and team mates more than Vieira ever was or will be.

Oh...and he never spat in anyones face on a football pitch.

Dodge
25/09/2008, 9:35 AM
Keane for me. Far more passionate, better when the chips are down, and a far better captain in that I beleive he was respected by his opponents and team mates more than Vieira ever was or will be

Don't think thats true. Heard a few midfielders talk about Vieira as the best they've faced.

Pike B
25/09/2008, 9:50 AM
Went for Roy. He was a leader of men. A fantastic passer, and could dictate the tempo of a game. Watched him live at Anfield against my beloved Liverpool in 2003, and he just ran the show. Everything went through him and he was just incredible. The best performance I've ever seen at a game I was at. And besides, the greatest player of his generation Zinedine Zidane rated him as one of the best he ever faced. Says it all.

Bluebeard
25/09/2008, 10:10 AM
Vieira, on the basis of the fact that he hasn't managed to split France.

On a side note, I thought that Keane was suspended for the CL final in 1999 - am I incorrect in this?

Dodge
25/09/2008, 10:20 AM
And besides, the greatest player of his generation Zinedine Zidane rated him as one of the best he ever faced. Says it all.
Probably because Zidane played with Vieira?

Yes, keane was suspended for 1999 Final.

Pike B
25/09/2008, 10:39 AM
Dodge: Probably because Zidane played with Vieira?

I've seen Zizou in interviews speak of his team mates. He held Makelele in higher regard than Viera!!

Dodge
25/09/2008, 10:41 AM
Any links?

Pike B
25/09/2008, 10:48 AM
Any links?
Not sure. It was an interview I seen on Eurosport awhile back. Around the time of one of those charity games they show.

Stevo Da Gull
25/09/2008, 1:47 PM

Haaland required 2 surgeries on because of Keane's tackle and still his knee kept swelling, he only played a handfull of games after the tackle, so I certainly don't believe that Haaland ever recovered 100%, and lets presume that he did - does this make a difference? Keane intentionally tried to finish Haaland's career.

Are you actually trying to defend Roy Keane's evil attempt to end someones career or are you just pointing out that Haaland was able to play a few more matches after the incident?

Anyhow we shouldn't linger on this issue for two long, as shocking as the incident was, it shouldn't sideline us from the debate at hand. I'll not disallow the discussion though, as some people may take character into account when choosing between the two.

Stevo Da Gull
25/09/2008, 1:52 PM
Not to worry Pike and Dodge, we can do a Makalele-Viera poll as well ;)

There is a good chance, as gustavo hinted, that Viera will add to his trophy collection. But Keane seems to be running away with this anyway.

DmanDmythDledge
25/09/2008, 1:57 PM
Almost certain this but I'm almost sure that the serious knee injury that forced him to retire was not the knee Keane injured.

Macy
25/09/2008, 1:59 PM
Are you actually trying to defend Roy Keane's evil attempt to end someones career or are you just pointing out that Haaland was able to play a few more matches after the incident?
I've no problem with anyone kicking some mouthy blue untc, but that's just me.

Of course, you ignore the fact that Haalands knee was fooked before Keane got anywhere near him, hence why he might have been bleating (wohoo another pun) to the press about that tackle finishing his career (only once the book was published mind) he didn't feel able to take it to court for a balance of probabilities decision.

Stevo Da Gull
25/09/2008, 2:03 PM
I've no problem with anyone kicking some mouthy blue untc, but that's just me.

Of course, you ignore the fact that Haalands knee was fooked before Keane got anywhere near him, hence why he might have been bleating (wohoo another pun) to the press about that tackle finishing his career (only once the book was published mind) he didn't feel able to take it to court for a balance of probabilities decision.

Ah I was just checking, I see you have no problem with someone trying to end someones career then (if it is true that Haaland already had knee problems then you could argue that this makes an intentional knee-high tackle even more shocking).

Macy
25/09/2008, 2:19 PM
If I had a problem with footballers kicking other footballers I may as well give up. I thought Keane denied ever saying he went out to end his career and Dunphy admitted it was his interpretation, but hey, just ignore that as well if it doesn't fit in with what you choose to believe.

Stevo Da Gull
25/09/2008, 2:21 PM
Me thinks we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Dodge
25/09/2008, 3:52 PM

If that was the case, the kick should've put his knee back right again. UNless the Simpsosn lied to me (and they haven't let me down before)

jinxy lilywhite
25/09/2008, 4:10 PM
Went for Keane on this one. As much as a great player Vieria was he always seemed to me to be a bit of a crier.

Have to say I loved the Keane quote about Vieria doing charity work in Senegal "If he loves Senegal so much then why is he playing for France!"

Dodge
25/09/2008, 4:14 PM
Went for Keane on this one. As much as a great player Vieria was he always seemed to me to be a bit of a crier.

Have to say I loved the Keane quote about Vieria doing charity work in Senegal "If he loves Senegal so much then why is he playing for France!"

Don't suppose you heard the Vieira reply then?

John83
25/09/2008, 4:34 PM
Vieira, on the basis of the fact that he hasn't managed to split France.
You know who else split France?*

On a side note, I thought that Keane was suspended for the CL final in 1999 - am I incorrect in this?
He was. What's the context? Zidane faced him in the semi-final, if someone's brought that up.

*No point, really, just Godwining the thread.

jinxy lilywhite
25/09/2008, 4:38 PM
Don't suppose you heard the Vieira reply then?

For the life of me Dodge I can't remember. Sonething about he didn't understand the politics in Africa.

gustavo
25/09/2008, 6:54 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0517/keane.html

Now Vieira has hit back, questioning Keane's commitment to Ireland after the infamous Saipan row with then manager Mick McCarthy. "For someone who leaves his team in the World Cup, I think he should keep this kind of remark to himself," he said.

"He does not know my background and I do not want him to make a comment like that because he is not in a good position to say something like that. He walked away from his national team when they really needed him."

"I have nothing to prove to him, I have nothing to prove to him. He is not from Senegal, he is not from Africa, he will not understand. So it is better for him to look after himself and what he's doing," the Arsenal skipper added.

"Even saying what I have just said does not take away the respect I have for him as a player. When I came to England he was the one I was looking forward to playing against because he is the best in the business in his position. I have big respect for him."

sadloserkid
25/09/2008, 10:22 PM
I think since Keane's Irish it will never be an impartial vote....

I tried to call it fairly, and went for Viera... a great defensive midfielder who could also mix it up going forward!

On some levels it bothers me when I'm 100% in agreement with gilberto. :)

gustavo
26/09/2008, 9:09 AM
I went for Keane, Had a towering influence over all the teams he played with , A great leader , Fantastic off and and on the ball and from around 92-95 chipped in with his fair share of goals for his team , Vieira is a superb player and the best compliment I can pay him is that there isnt much between them

Bluebeard
26/09/2008, 10:16 AM
He was. What's the context? Zidane faced him in the semi-final, if someone's brought that up.
It was just that it was listed in his achievements that he won it. (I know, to all intents and purposes, he did x amount of the donkeywork to get there, but I didn't think you got medals if you didn't appear in the final, even on the bench)

You know who else split France?*

*No point, really, just Godwining the thread.
:D:D

drinkfeckarse
26/09/2008, 10:33 AM
Keane simply for his ability to get the players around them to lift their game. Viera was outstanding but I didn't feel he had Keane's aura or knack of getting his team over the finishing line whether they liked it or not.

jebus
26/09/2008, 11:09 AM
It was just that it was listed in his achievements that he won it. (I know, to all intents and purposes, he did x amount of the donkeywork to get there, but I didn't think you got medals if you didn't appear in the final, even on the bench)

He didn't technically win one but Utd got him and Scholes medals, Keane didn't accept his one, not sure if Scholes did (think he might have)

Mr A
26/09/2008, 12:21 PM
Viera. I just can't stand that loud-mouthed traitor **** Keane.

gustavo
26/09/2008, 1:37 PM

Neither can I , but I judged on who was the better player not who was less of a **** :D

irishultra
26/09/2008, 5:28 PM
Interesting the way Vieira is being referred to in the past tense, I suppose once you leave England your career is over

I presume you know Patrick Viera has not played since he has gone to Italy. Like the actually physical body of Viera is on the pitch, but he does nothing.

sadloserkid
26/09/2008, 5:41 PM
but I didn't think you got medals if you didn't appear in the final, even on the bench)

That's definitely not the case. AFAIK clubs get x amount of medals free of charge to allocate as they see fit (pretty sure it covers registered players and a certain number of coaching staff) and can apply to have others made for them too. I am open to correction though.

Mr Maroon
26/09/2008, 8:21 PM
a great defensive midfielder who could also mix it up going forward!
You could be talking about Keane there too

sadloserkid
26/09/2008, 9:43 PM
You could be talking about Keane there too

Or Davids or the best of the lot Redondo.

irishultra
27/09/2008, 11:47 AM
I love Redondo but he did nothing close to justify comparing to Keane or Viera. Sad for him because he was quality, he had everything, and was better probably than Keane but that is a mute point.

sadloserkid
27/09/2008, 10:47 PM
I love Redondo but he did nothing close to justify comparing to Keane or Viera. Sad for him because he was quality, he had everything, and was better probably than Keane but that is a mute point.

2 Champions Leagues not enough for you (3 technically I believe but only 2 where he played regularly)? 2 Spanish titles? A Copa America, an Italian Cup and a Champions League Most Valuable Player award in 2000? And even if you were making sense it would be a moot point as opposed to a mute one.

bennocelt
29/09/2008, 12:24 AM

:rolleyes: