PDA

View Full Version : Squad for Switzerland game

macdermesser
02/10/2003, 11:51 AM
Ireland squad for Euro 2004 qualifier v Switzerland
Reuters
Thursday October 2, 2003 12:31 PM

DUBLIN, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Ireland manager Brian Kerr named the following squad on Thursday for the Euro 2004 qualifier against Switzerland in Basel on October 11:

Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Nick Colgan (Stockport), Joe Murphy (West Bromwich)

Defenders: Gary Breen (Sunderland), Stephen Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Gary Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Steve Finnan (Liverpool), Ian Harte (Leeds United), Andy O'Brien (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Lee Carsley (Everton), Damien Duff (Chelsea), Colin Healy (Sunderland), Matt Holland (Charlton Athletic), Graham Kavanagh (Cardiff), Kevin Kilbane (Everton), Mark Kinsella (Aston Villa), Stephen McPhail (Nottingham Forest), Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers)

Strikers: David Connolly (West Ham), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Clinton Morrison (Birmingham City)

pete
02/10/2003, 12:00 PM
I doubt he'd use Doherty as a central defender so only leaves Breen & O'Brien in that position given he likely to keep O'Shea at left back.

No Dunne, Quinn, Crowe, Lee (injured) from recent squads...

Slash/ED
02/10/2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by pete
given he likely to keep O'Shea at left back.

What makes you say that? With Cunningham out I'd be amazed and very disappointed if O'shea is played at left back.

NigeSausagepump
02/10/2003, 12:26 PM
With Dunne's exclusion, it's almost inevitable that one of either Harte or O'Brien will play (depending on where O'Shea plays) - although I'd love to see it, I can't see Kerr sticking Finnan in left back.
So it comes down to who is going to be less of a liability, Harte or O'Brien. I must say I'd prefer to see O'Brien in there and O'Shea left back. Harte has the defensive nous of a Harlem Globetrotter. (And yes, I know he tries his heart out etc etc etc)

gspain
02/10/2003, 12:32 PM
I'd play O'shea in the middle - more of an influence there - I know Harte is a defensive disaster but we also need to score and he has great delivery from free kicks and corners - we lack that otherwise.

Kilbane would provide cover as well for Harte assuming he plays on the wing with Duffer up front.

If we 're going to win it will probably have to be nicked 1-0 or 2-1 and a set piece may be our best chance.

John83
02/10/2003, 1:53 PM
If we play Duffer on the right, Kilbane on the left, and O'Shea on the left of the centre-halves (where he can go wide if necessary), then we can afford Harte if we press the Swiss hard.

His passing alone is reason enough to include the little blighter, given how badly we need to win.

Pogsly
02/10/2003, 2:21 PM
Given that Robbie is back from injury and is a cert to start it is unlikely that Duffman will start up front. Add to this the fact that (whether ppl like it or not) Kev Kilbane is actually in form for Ireland and ALWAYS offers support for the fullback , it is unlikely the Duffman will start on the left either .
Lets face it Kerrso needs to be bold for this match and he really is in a no lose situation. He has a new contract in the bag till the next World Cup irrespective of this result and he will always command the respect of the players so why not give it a go in this match . The Swiss will be up for it but by no means will they be breaking balls early doors to go for the win .
Anyway the impressive 4-3-1-2 formation used up to the Australia ame should be re-used with the following line up ( in my opinion nyway)
Given
Carr
O'Shea
Breen
Harte
Holland
Healy
Kilbane
Duff
Connolly
Keane

Slash/ED
02/10/2003, 3:39 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
With Dunne's exclusion, it's almost inevitable that one of either Harte or O'Brien will play (depending on where O'Shea plays) - although I'd love to see it, I can't see Kerr sticking Finnan in left back.
So it comes down to who is going to be less of a liability, Harte or O'Brien. I must say I'd prefer to see O'Brien in there and O'Shea left back. Harte has the defensive nous of a Harlem Globetrotter. (And yes, I know he tries his heart out etc etc etc)

That's a good point, but I'd really like to see Kerr just risk it and play Finnan there.

On another point, this squad underlines what people said about the Turkish match being a complete waste of time. Had Kerr had the foresight to cap, amoungst others, Liam Miller that day, after seing him score another champions league goal it's a certainty he'd be in ahead of Kinsella for this one. But because he didn't try out the youngsters were stick with people who we know aren't upto it, and I'm afraid now Kinsella is one of those in my opinion.

He's not even in the U21 pannel as he has played his last came for them, complete stupidity.

thecorner
02/10/2003, 6:23 PM
graham kavanagh playing for cardiff
liam miller playing(and scoring twice) in champions league

given a choice i know who id pick

and 3 strikers in a squad that needs nothing less than a win

i smell DISASTER

Tonymc
02/10/2003, 7:48 PM
"graham kavanagh playing for cardiff
liam miller playing(and scoring twice) in champions league

given a choice i know who id pick "

This should not even be the choice. Kavanagh has been playing
out of his skin and rightfully deserves his call up. What are you trying to say that a 1st division player should not be concidered for the squad? If this is the case then out should go Breen and healy etc. Andy Reid and Thornton may have to wait a long time for a call up also.

If you are to decide a pecking order based on the quality of the leagues the players play in, together with thier current form our central midfield order should look like this:

1 - Holland or Miller
2 - Kavanagh
3 - Healy
4 - Thornton
5 - Carsley
6 - Kinsella

Kav and Miller should both be in the squad and possibly the team.

Tony

gspain
03/10/2003, 6:59 AM
Miller is definitely one for the future and looks a real find. His chance will come but I wouldn't throw him into a game such as this.

Kavanagh has had a superb season for Cardiff and they are doing well in Div 1. He has 3 caps already so has played at this level. He is the right choice this time but Miller must start the next friendly.