PDA

View Full Version : A Public Meeting

jamesd
23/09/2008, 9:22 PM
I know I might get shut down on this one, but I would like to suggest the holding of a Public Meeting somewhere like the Commodore, where the general public and members of Cobh Ramblers could come and discuss the current situation and hopefully come up with solutions.

While I realise that Cobh Ramblers is "A Members" Club, I really believe that the entire community should be given an opportunity to save Cobh Ramblers. The situation that we find ourselves in, I believe is too big now for just the members to deal with, and with respect, no stone should be left unturned.

I know some will shout about dirty laundry in public and all that, but guys, I believe we owe it to ourselves to open this out to the community at large, and maybe, just maybe, we might attract some business people and potential sponsors to come on board.

don ramo
23/09/2008, 10:04 PM
in all fairness, give it a rest,

aslo what information are you gonna give,

like i said before people claim to be in the know but yet reveal noting,

can someone please stop him whinging

the sub
23/09/2008, 10:16 PM
Evey time you are anyone post on the web it public. What is wrong with someone trying to get the communite united and support ramblers, why are you and others so negitivetowards people getting together to try as l said and save and support the club. Or are you happy to knocking down others that is why cobh have no support from businessess or the community

don ramo
23/09/2008, 10:35 PM
Evey time you are anyone post on the web it public. What is wrong with someone trying to get the communite united and support ramblers, why are you and others so negitivetowards people getting together to try as l said and save and support the club. Or are you happy to knocking down others that is why cobh have no support from businessess or the community

alright so, get some information as to what needs to be done, then call a meeting, no one know what the situation is therfore dont know what needs to be done,
if its money why doesnt someone request a meeting with the fundraising commitee, and get some plans moving,

jamesd can make the call and let us know where and when the meeting is on,

the sub
23/09/2008, 10:51 PM
Whats needed is money or am l missing somthing over the last six months. That is what is needed so get together and fundraise get the business community behind you and get the fans as a group to act as one

drinkfeckarse
24/09/2008, 7:53 AM
Ideally I don't see it as a bad idea. Realistically though a public meeting will descend into shouting and farce no matter how it is chaired.

Also the question must be asked, if anyone of the Cobh public wanted to get involved, surely they would be members already?

luka
24/09/2008, 8:17 AM
I believe we owe it to ourselves to open this out to the community at large, and maybe, just maybe, we might attract some business people and potential sponsors to come on board

Jamesd, if the larger community were interested bud, our gates wouldn't be so small and nor would be be faced with what we currently are. Tis well known that these days Ramblers don't have the backing of the larger community and I'd say it's been many a year since they had.

the sub
24/09/2008, 8:44 AM
Jamesd, if the larger community were interested bud, our gates wouldn't be so small and nor would be be faced with what we currently are. Tis well known that these days Ramblers don't have the backing of the larger community and I'd say it's been many a year since they had.

Its like every business if you do not go out and try you wont know, sometimes you have to get out and get the backing of the business/ community, they won,t walk through your doors they need to hear the positive aspects of Cobh Ramblers as a club... please don,t start again about the chairman or the commette we are all sick of hearing the same from the threads every minute of the day. Leave it behind start again be positive meet the businesses , meet the community members and give them a positive spin in what the true supporters are going to do for the club. Get them behind you not away from you and if it do not work then at least you went down trying not talking it down. Use all the tools that are there for you 96fm, Redfm, echo get a person who is good at PR and push the club in a positive mannor not a negitive one that is why you are not getting the support.

drinkfeckarse
24/09/2008, 9:00 AM
Jamesd, if the larger community were interested bud, our gates wouldn't be so small

I've said it before and I'll say it again. IMO our gates aren't actually that bad in relation to our population. Yes we can always attract more but we also have to be realistic. In a town with a population of circa 12-14000, averaging 1,000 per game isn't too bad at all and represents a turnout of 7-8% of the town. I doubt there are many if any LOI clubs that can match that.

I know some City fans come down etc but due to the geography of our town and the fact it is an island it will always be difficult for us to attract "outsiders" as Cobh has it's own sense of identity which would make it hard for someone not from the place to feel part of.

In my humble opinion of course :)

luka
24/09/2008, 9:18 AM
Cobh has it's own sense of identity which would make it hard for someone not from the place to feel part of

I concur wholeheartedly and the same might be said about Ramblers as a club.

jamesd
24/09/2008, 10:33 AM
I only suggested this as another avenue to be looked at. I am sorry if some here feel its negative.

I agree that there has been a lot of negativity on these threads, and I know I have added to them. But last night I was chatting to some family members and we all have some very fond memories of my grandfather taking us to matches in St Colman's Park, and no-one wants to see this place become another memory.

Yes, we need money, and a lot of it, but I do believe there are many people out there that will support the Club, but there needs to be security and assurances that the money will go to where it is needed most.

I would also suggest that the whole Season Ticket business needs to be seriously over-hauled. The idea that in order to be involved is dependent on having a Season Ticket is just crazy, and also, that there is a cut off date is even worse. I know of at least 20 people that wanted to get a season ticket in the last 3 months to help out and they were all told, sorry, wait till next season.

6yardpunisha
24/09/2008, 10:50 AM
I only suggested this as another avenue to be looked at. I am sorry if some here feel its negative.

I agree that there has been a lot of negativity on these threads, and I know I have added to them. But last night I was chatting to some family members and we all have some very fond memories of my grandfather taking us to matches in St Colman's Park, and no-one wants to see this place become another memory.

Yes, we need money, and a lot of it, but I do believe there are many people out there that will support the Club, but there needs to be security and assurances that the money will go to where it is needed most.

I would also suggest that the whole Season Ticket business needs to be seriously over-hauled. The idea that in order to be involved is dependent on having a Season Ticket is just crazy, and also, that there is a cut off date is even worse. I know of at least 20 people that wanted to get a season ticket in the last 3 months to help out and they were all told, sorry, wait till next season.

2 words jamesd,the constitution

sadloserkid
24/09/2008, 7:19 PM
I know of at least 20 people that wanted to get a season ticket in the last 3 months to help out and they were all told, sorry, wait till next season.

[/B]2 words jamesd,the constitution

Now while I know you have more pressing maters at the moment surely this needs to be amended asap. That's literally turning money away! :eek:

6yardpunisha
24/09/2008, 7:33 PM
Now while I know you have more pressing maters at the moment surely this needs to be amended asap. That's literally turning money away! :eek:

welcome to the wonderful word of Cobh Ramblers:D

chimpster
24/09/2008, 8:34 PM
PROPOSAL:

Season tickets to be available all year round to everyone, e.g. €250 for the season, €125 for half season, etc.
Club membership (and voting rights) available to season ticket holders only, say €50 a pop, must be taken out before the first fixture.
BETTER PROPOSAL:

Abandon this ridiculous archaic membership system, which is crippling us and have the club run as a proper business instead.

ramblers
24/09/2008, 9:00 PM
It is not in the constitution that you stop selling season tickets in May!! This was the first year it happened to the best of my knowledge. The constitution is being blamed for a lot of things that to be fair are not even in it.

Just a quick question does any one have a copy of it??

rambler14
24/09/2008, 11:58 PM
Just a quick question does any one have a copy of it??

I don't think so.

As far as I know it was written on a napkin over dinner one night and unfortunately the waitress dumped it!

Redshanks
25/09/2008, 7:46 AM
Sorry for harking back on it again, but it is the constitution. The current rule is that there is a cut off date to buy a season ticket and our constitution now guards that rule until its changed again.

The constitution which allows and protects the current leadership to stay in control of the running of the club, now ensures the status quo remains -that is the present crisis -the looting and free-bees at the gates etc.
That in turn and this is just my personal opinion, impedes and turns off new people and some former supporters from coming to matches because of the negative image. With all of the negative press of late, there is now a mountain to climb to overcome that.

I would dispute the figure that we get an average of 7% of the population coming inside our gates at home matches. A more accurate figure would suggest that we had only about 3 games this season that reached or exceeded the 1,000 mark and two of them were local derby's, some games were as little as 5-600.

Its too easy and lazy to shrug the shoulders and say these small gates are okay for our size population. They are if you think and act like we are still in the past, in the days of amature sport -then we deserves exactly what we get and have!
We have a big struggle ahead of us to fix and bring this club on to where it should and could be -Think of it as a long war.
If the members came to accept that the constituion is a major impediment to sorting all this out, and moved to change it - then we'd have the back of the struggle broken in quick time!

drinkfeckarse
25/09/2008, 11:32 AM
I would dispute the figure that we get an average of 7% of the population coming inside our gates at home matches. A more accurate figure would suggest that we had only about 3 games this season that reached or exceeded the 1,000 mark and two of them were local derby's, some games were as little as 5-600.

Its too easy and lazy to shrug the shoulders and say these small gates are okay for our size population. They are if you think and act like we are still in the past, in the days of amature sport -then we deserves exactly what we get and have!

Unnofficial I know but it's totally NOT unrealistic to say the average crowd this season is about 1,000 (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=85021&page=76)

Also, it's all well and good coming out with the "think big" line. It's also much more advisable to be realistic and remember what country and what league we play in. "Where we could be"?? Do you honestly think we should be one of the top clubs in the land and do you honestly think that's achievable!!??

That's not me being defeatist. That's having a bit of cop on.

jamesd
25/09/2008, 11:34 AM
We might have a mountain to climb, but I believe with the right approach, we can do it.
The first step up that mountain is to realise that while everyone will have a differing opinion, the common ground is that everyone cares about Ramblers.

But how best to convert this genuine care in to proper finance and management of the Club as a whole?

Every organisation needs a constitution, not for the purposes of hiding behind, but rather to ensure that every member, officer and supporter is accountable for their actions.

I also believe that we need to admit that we are just a little out of our depth at the moment in Premier Division from a financial point of view. Would it be so bad to be back in First Division and use our time there to plan a strategy to get us back up and keep us there.

Without a proper framework in place, then I can't see any major sponsor coming on stream. What sponsor would want to come on board when there is such division.

I believe that all barriers, if they exsist, between us and GAA, Rugby etc should be broken down and everyone help everyone else in supporting what ever is going on. We might be an island town, but together we can acheive anything.

jebus
25/09/2008, 1:44 PM
I believe that all barriers, if they exsist, between us and GAA, Rugby etc should be broken down and everyone help everyone else in supporting what ever is going on. We might be an island town, but together we can acheive anything.

Yeah I'm sure the GAA will be more than willing to open their hearts to a football club. God help Cobh if ye need to count on that shower for help

the sub
25/09/2008, 2:31 PM
Yeah I'm sure the GAA will be more than willing to open their hearts to a football club. God help Cobh if ye need to count on that shower for help

Now is the time to be positive you need all the support that you can get

The Rebel Ram
25/09/2008, 5:47 PM
Do you honestly think that an open meeting where there will be such viying for position that it will end up being a shouting, blaming, historical row will be of any benifit to the club?

the sub
25/09/2008, 6:11 PM
Do you honestly think that an open meeting where there will be such viying for position that it will end up being a shouting, blaming, historical row will be of any benifit to the club?

What you could do !!!is organise a few people to open a crech during the meeting and all the babies can go into a room and be looked after and you can also give them a rattler so they can throw it out of their prams.
Look you are not babies.. some of you looks like they own and manage their own businesses or working.

Time to grow up or give them Campol in their Pints it sure will make them sleepy and they will wake up nice and relaxed andthe meeting is over, new commette ...happy days

jebus
26/09/2008, 11:12 AM
Now is the time to be positive you need all the support that you can get

I agree, but your underestimating just how bitter and twisted the GAA is when it comes to the major 'foreign game'. They tried to run Shamrock Rovers out of the game by crippling them with legal bills just this year so I doubt they'll put their hand in their pocket to save Cobh. Just a heads up to not expect much is all

The Rebel Ram
26/09/2008, 11:30 AM
I can't see how they can help each other out to be honest, as with Cobh Pirates. People are either GAA, Soccer of Rugby IMO. Some support a couple of them but will have a priority. Couldn't see any benifit for the other clubs in helping out Ramblers!

the sub
26/09/2008, 11:30 AM
l know some gaa clubs are like that but not them all, l know a gaa club that change their matches if they clash with a schoolboys game. They also get the years soccer fixtures for the season and work around them same for training. If the soccer schoolboys league were the same there would be no issues with codes, So be positive ask for there support all they can say is no