PDA

View Full Version : iMac problem Please help

Block G Raptor
23/09/2008, 12:06 PM
Hi guy's. I've a G3 1st Generation iMac (the big-old CRT Version) the problem is that its crashed and I don't have the installation discs anymore to rebuild
I've gone onto the apple site but when I enter the serial number it says it not in there records (its about 10 years old) so I cant get online support. i was running a dual partition boot with OS 9.2 and OS x 10.1.0 but cannot get either partition running. Another problem I have is that the bottom 2 rows of the keyboard no longer work :rolleyes: so I cant even do a mac-boot in the bios. I'm going to get a new keyboard ASAP. kind of hoping someone on here might have an os disc that they can lend me or might know somewhere I can download it from (legally of course ;)) pm me any suggested sites

Pauro 76
23/09/2008, 12:48 PM
Aha, a Mac problem. At last a techie probelm I can try and help with. :) Havent worked with OS9 for ages. New keyboard might surely work, I'm not sure where you can get old installation discs from. There's plenty of Mac dedicated forums that may help. i normally use this one for Mac tips, and Im pretty sure there's a troubleshooting section on it. Have a shot anyway.

http://www.macfixitforums.com/

Block G Raptor
23/09/2008, 12:56 PM
Cheers mate. the new keyboard will enable me to run a mac-boot command which may help . but from past experience when it crashes like this (folder Icon with ? flashing at start up and nothing else) a re-image is required. I'll try that link any way

Pauro 76
23/09/2008, 1:03 PM
Cheers mate. the new keyboard will enable me to run a mac-boot command which may help . but from past experience when it crashes like this (folder Icon with ? flashing at start up and nothing else) a re-image is required. I'll try that link any way

Would holding down the Shift button and/or C (cant remember which) not work? The ? icon is always bad news anyway, it's normally best to re-install when that happens. Worth a shot, let me know how it goes.

geysir
24/09/2008, 12:45 AM
Have you tried starting up with that faulty keyboard disconnected?
Normally you would start up with your install disk, open disk utility and run disk repair.
I'd suspect that the hard drive is creaking.

Block G Raptor
24/09/2008, 10:02 AM
thanx for all the advice lads. Geysir has sent me a solution so I'll let you know how I get on