PDA

View Full Version : First match at Lansdowne - opponents? poll

Pages : [1] 2

Glapots
22/09/2008, 10:41 AM
Who would be the most appropriate opponents for our first match at the new Lansdowne Rd?

Could someone set up a poll on this please?

Some sugestions and reasons.......

Brazil - best football nation
Italy - Italia 90 etc / first match at old Lansdowne / Traps
Wales - they're the only ones who play us when we need a game
England - most of our players play across the water / Also can mend bridges for 95 riot / first ever opponents in Euros and WC
Scotland -footballing cousins
Spain - the country we've played most
Bulgaria - our first as Irish Free State
Swizterland - our first match as Ireland
Norway - our first match as Republic of Ireland
France
Germany
Argentina
Other

lopez
22/09/2008, 10:50 AM
I'd want decent opposition so that leaves out England. I don't want them back after 95 except when we have been picked to play them. True, there are more than enough of the so-called 'footballing' community in Ireland that would have this as there first choice, and many of these are in the FAI.

Either Brazil, Italy, Spain or possibly Argentina. Brazil and Italy have/will have been here twice in the past few years which leaves the other two. I'd put my money on Wales, Canada or China. :rolleyes:

jaykay
22/09/2008, 10:51 AM
I'd go for Holland. They have very colourful and noisy fans. Some memorable matches between us in the past.

Glapots
22/09/2008, 10:54 AM
I'd want decent opposition so that leaves out England. I don't want them back after 95 except when we have been picked to play them. True, there are more than enough of the so-called 'footballing' community in Ireland that would have this as there first choice, and many of these are in the FAI.

Either Brazil, Italy, Spain or possibly Argentina. Brazil and Italy have/will have been here twice in the past few years which leaves the other two. I'd put my money on Wales, Canada or China. :rolleyes:

yeah I agree, I wouldn't be a big fan of playig England here. Unlikely we'll get Brazil again. Germnay might be a good one. There used to be a rumour (false by the way) that Germany's second kit is green because we were the first country to play them after the war. I do feel we have a connection with the Germans, probably something to do with them beating England, when it matters :)

Glapots
22/09/2008, 10:55 AM
I'd go for Holland. They have very colourful and noisy fans. Some memorable matches between us in the past.

I forgot about the Dutch. They would be my choice

Dodge
22/09/2008, 11:18 AM
Australia. Have it as a double header with the Rugby. Whichever irish side wins gets to keep the stadium

pineapple stu
22/09/2008, 11:31 AM
And when they both lose? Do they keep playing? Or maybe swap sports?

jbyrne
22/09/2008, 11:34 AM
its due to open in april 2010 so a wc warm-up match against holland before we head off to SA would be a great way to open the stadium!

back of the net
22/09/2008, 12:02 PM
for me - 1) Argentina 2) Holland 3) Northern Ireland

SalvadorSanchez
22/09/2008, 12:03 PM
England... has to be England...

back of the net
22/09/2008, 12:11 PM
yeah I agree, I wouldn't be a big fan of playig England here. Unlikely we'll get Brazil again. Germnay might be a good one. There used to be a rumour (false by the way) that Germany's second kit is green because we were the first country to play them after the war. I do feel we have a connection with the Germans, probably something to do with them beating England, when it matters :)

how do u feel we have a connection with the germans based on them beating england ??? - if that was the case we would have a connection with every nation that beats england

the only connection we have with the germans imo is that our fans get on well together when we play each other - but that could be said for most countries we play

Ash
22/09/2008, 12:20 PM
Whatever about the 1st game in new Lansdowne, the last game in the old one should have been against England ... thier mob would have ripped the place down in no time and saved a lot of cash :p

Claret Murph
22/09/2008, 12:40 PM
Yep I fancy England which would add a bit od spice to the game I would say .

fergalr
22/09/2008, 12:53 PM

If so then the Vantage slogan will be particulary apt.

Duggie
22/09/2008, 12:57 PM

feck england - tossers. i dont want there mob near landsdown road again.

ArdeeBhoy
22/09/2008, 12:58 PM

You are working in the Insurance industry then? Or possibly security?

Glapots
22/09/2008, 12:58 PM
how do u feel we have a connection with the germans based on them beating england ??? - if that was the case we would have a connection with every nation that beats england

the only connection we have with the germans imo is that our fans get on well together when we play each other - but that could be said for most countries we play

It was said tongue in cheek :rolleyes:

gspain
22/09/2008, 1:02 PM
its due to open in april 2010 so a wc warm-up match against holland before we head off to SA would be a great way to open the stadium!

not that anyone would complain if the warmup match was against China, Canada or New Caledonia once we were heading to South Africa. :D

Knowing Ireland and project overruns I reckon it will be later in 2010 befor eit opens which probably means it will be opned with a qualifier for 2012

elroy
22/09/2008, 1:28 PM
No way would I want England, no matter how hard we'd try, we would get a minority at the game that would do their damnest to ruin it.

Not sure id be overly keen on brazil either, a decent european team maybe. As mentioned above, if we have qualified for the WC, anyone will do.

tetsujin1979
22/09/2008, 1:49 PM
We've played Brazil twice in the last few years, I'd prefer Spain (when was the last time the European Champions played in Dublin?) or Argentina.

NeilMcD
22/09/2008, 2:04 PM
Yeah I vote Spain too and also then get a return game too.

jbyrne
22/09/2008, 2:07 PM
Knowing Ireland and project overruns I reckon it will be later in 2010 befor eit opens which probably means it will be opned with a qualifier for 2012

seems to be on programme to date anyway and i think the april 2010 date should be achieveable. its taking good shape and has the best construction company in the country building it

OwlsFan
22/09/2008, 2:09 PM
England?? What a joke after the last time they were here and some of their fans tried to tear the place down.

Our first ever home international was against Italy. They would have been ideal except they're in our group but that would be history by the time the stadium is opened so I'd go for Italy, especially if Trap is still the manager then.

Baker
22/09/2008, 2:43 PM
We've played Brazil twice in the last few years, I'd prefer Spain (when was the last time the European Champions played in Dublin?) or Argentina.

I think it was Denmark in 1993.

Italy get my vote too.

tetsujin1979
22/09/2008, 2:57 PM
the thing about italy is, by the time the stadium opens, we'll have played them twice in the previous 14 months or so, including a home game the previous october. I'd prefer to play someone we don't have such a strong recent history with

Pauro 76
22/09/2008, 3:01 PM
I'd be fine with England playing so long as the security's up to scratch. But my vote would be Holland, some great games in the past and they know how to create an atmosphere.

Torn-Ado
22/09/2008, 3:08 PM
England should have been the last match in the old Lansdowne.

FAI could have saved a lot of money on the demolition work.

SalvadorSanchez
22/09/2008, 3:23 PM
If so then the Vantage slogan will be particulary apt.

?Como?

SalvadorSanchez
22/09/2008, 3:26 PM
You are working in the Insurance industry then? Or possibly security?

Nah... just want to enjoy the spectacle of Prem league fans being conflicted whether to shout for their country or the players that they bore us talking about every saturday night...
"if we can keep Rooney fit we could win the league again" Tossers!

lopez
22/09/2008, 9:05 PM
Nah... just want to enjoy the spectacle of Prem league fans being conflicted whether to shout for their country or the players that they bore us talking about every saturday night...
"if we can keep Rooney fit we could win the league again" Tossers!Probably the best argument for the Tans so far. Still won't get my vote though.

sylvo
22/09/2008, 9:54 PM
[QUOTE=back of the net;1025529]how do u feel we have a connection with the germans based on them beating england ??? - if that was the case we would have a connection with every nation that beats england

That connection sounds good to me, always felt a good connection with the lovely portuguese people meself over the last few years and tournaments.

sylvo
22/09/2008, 9:54 PM
I would say either Italy or Spain would be nice or maybe Argentina.

sylvo
22/09/2008, 10:00 PM
Probably the best argument for the Tans so far. Still won't get my vote though.

What about the team that the Irish free state team played their first ever game against to return to Dublin for this modern day historic event. No what I meeaaan.

Colbert Report
22/09/2008, 10:23 PM
I'd like to see a United Ireland squad play against someone the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, or Spain.

corkboy360
22/09/2008, 10:39 PM
Nigeria like our last warm up for the world cup

Bohemian1890
23/09/2008, 12:05 AM
I'd be fine with England playing so long as the security's up to scratch. But my vote would be Holland, some great games in the past and they know how to create an atmosphere.

They would never be able to handle England fans they cant even handle Rovers FFS:p.

gspain
23/09/2008, 7:25 AM
What about the team that the Irish free state team played their first ever game against to return to Dublin for this modern day historic event. No what I meeaaan.

:confused:

Do you mean Italy - first official International in Turin and also our first ever home game.

There is an argument that our 1924 Olympics games v Bulgaria and Holland should now be recognized as full Internationals. the FAI certainly did until they reclassified them in the 1960's and I believe both our opponents still do.

shakermaker1982
23/09/2008, 7:27 AM
Argentina
Holland
Spain

in that order.

jbyrne
23/09/2008, 9:48 AM
"if we can keep Rooney fit we could win the league again" Tossers!

do you really think that conflict would be there. what a joke of a remark

SalvadorSanchez
23/09/2008, 3:17 PM
do you really think that conflict would be there. what a joke of a remark

;)Very astute.... but it ****es me off people using "we" for English teams,
really if you're not English, don't live in England, you're not in the squad, not even a professional footballer and you're still using "we" to describe a team that you've probably never seen play except on telly...you're a Tosser...

It might put it into perspective for people that English club teams are not "OUR" teams.. we have our own league and there's a league of Ireland club within 50kms of almost any point in the country..... (This republic of ours)

Let's support our country and our league... there's nothing wrong with keeping up with English sides or going to the odd games... but they're not fundamentally "our" teams....and we need to realise this, playing against England and all the needle it entails... might make one person think.. and that enough for me... (I'm an intellectual don't you know...:rolleyes:)

Therefore if people use WE for english teams... I have the same right to say;
"I really hope that the yanks or Israelis don't bomb our nuclear processing plant in Isfahan here in the Islamic Republic of Iran... We're perfectly entitled to our Nuclear programme under IAEA rules...":D

jbyrne
23/09/2008, 3:39 PM
really if you're not English, don't live in England, you're not in the squad, not even a professional footballer and you're still using "we" to describe a team that you've probably never seen play except on telly...you're a Tosser...

It might put it into perspective for people that English club teams are not "OUR" teams.. we have our own league and there's a league of Ireland club within 50kms of almost any point in the country..... (This republic of ours)

Let's support our country and our league... there's nothing wrong with keeping up with English sides or going to the odd games... but they're not fundamentally "our" teams....and we need to realise this, playing against England and all the needle it entails... might make one person think.. and that enough for me... (I'm an intellectual don't you know...:rolleyes:)

"I really hope that the yanks or Israelis don't bomb our nuclear processing plant in Isfahan here in the Islamic Republic of Iran... We're perfectly entitled to our Nuclear programme under IAEA rules...":D

really?

SalvadorSanchez
23/09/2008, 3:40 PM
really?

C'mon now.... where's the love?....:D

Lenny82
23/09/2008, 3:42 PM
Have to agree with you there. I hate that WE reference!!!

There are 2 mates of mine who have openly admitted that they would rather see Man United/Liverpool win the Champions League than see Ireland qualify for the World Cup/European Championships because they "follow their club on a weekly basis so they have more of a desire for them to do well"!!!

23/09/2008, 4:42 PM

Let's support our country and our league... there's nothing wrong with keeping up with English sides or going to the odd games... but they're not fundamentally "our" teams....and we need to realise this, playing against England and all the needle it entails... might make one person think.. and that enough for me... (I'm an intellectual don't you know...:rolleyes:

jasus who p*ssed in your corn flakes this mornin? amazin how the EL paranoia gets in everywhere. this thread is about who WE (ireland) should be playing in OUR 1st game at OUR new stadium and youve managed to turn it into EL v EPL,im sure there is enough threads on that subject somewhere,if youre that bothered go and find them.

back on topic - i think England would be a great shout,the history the 2 countries have (non football and +football) would make for a great match and atmosphere. obviously the security thing is a major factor though. so as a 2nd choice,i would go for the Spanish.

now - i wonder if WE will beat Crewe tonight....

Bohemian1890
23/09/2008, 4:56 PM
jasus who p*ssed in your corn flakes this mornin? amazin how the EL paranoia gets in everywhere. this thread is about who WE (ireland) should be playing in OUR 1st game at OUR new stadium and youve managed to turn it into EL v EPL,im sure there is enough threads on that subject somewhere,if youre that bothered go and find them.

back on topic - i think England would be a great shout,the history the 2 countries have (non football and +football) would make for a great match and atmosphere. obviously the security thing is a major factor though. so as a 2nd choice,i would go for the Spanish.

What school did you go to??English teacher must have been great.:o

SalvadorSanchez
23/09/2008, 4:59 PM

Ah come on now..... The first friendly should be against England because it would mean something!! and as for LOI V EPL... my first comment was a joke and someone made a big deal so I had to respond...
it's a fact of life that more Irish people follow English clubs than Irish clubs and we need to accept it but let's not forget who we are and where we come from.. there are local clubs in our communities that contribute to our communities etc. just think some people need a bit of perspective... I'm not saying that people should be made go to LOI games or anything crazy like that, it would be nice for people to acknowledge that we have a change to progress as a footballing nation if we get more support from the community... look what at the Drogs and St. Pats recently... we can go forward if people give the league and chance and not kid ourselves into thinking we're scousers and mancs etc.

SalvadorSanchez
23/09/2008, 5:03 PM
Have to agree with you there. I hate that WE reference!!!

There are 2 mates of mine who have openly admitted that they would rather see Man United/Liverpool win the Champions League than see Ireland qualify for the World Cup/European Championships because they "follow their club on a weekly basis so they have more of a desire for them to do well"!!!

BAM! Case closed!!!!! Go raibh maith agat Lenny82

Schumi
23/09/2008, 5:15 PM
I'd like to see Argentina. We rarely play them and they're good to watch.

SalvadorSanchez
23/09/2008, 5:26 PM
Argentina, not a bad call that, good side, and probably plenty of away fans as there's loads of them around Europe, they'd bring a bit of a vibe as they say...

SUB of the day
23/09/2008, 8:37 PM
Argentina get my vote, with maybe a special presentation to Diego for the greatest goal ever scored, Combat 18 lads would love it:D