PDA

View Full Version : why was my thread closed

gordongekko
21/09/2008, 10:15 PM
I started a tread about the players drinking most nights but it was closed. WHY? I did not realise I was living in IRAQ I taught I was in Ireland a country that people died for our freedom. I have re read my post and I don’t see what I said the was liable or what was not true??. Do we no longer have freedom of choice and speech in this country.

I am just back for seeing a wonderful match played between to amateur teams croke park and they showed by far a more professional edge than us all season. You only have to compare warm ups to see the difference. im sure they were not out drinking any night for the last few weeks.
This is the reason why we are a nothing club. The players come here knowing the we are a party club and that the supporters are happy with that. The imagine the player are projecting is terrible. Did ye never here Roy Keane saying “fail to prepare to fail” . Unfortunately we (as supporters) are happy to draw matches that any of the top 4 teams would have won easily and this is a major part of the problem with our club.

Terry you can close all the treads you like but it does not solve the drinking and party culture problem that exists in our team. Just look at the table it does not lie.

gg

Terry
21/09/2008, 10:26 PM
your thread was closed because it was a stupid thread, simple as. If you think having a drink 7 days before your next match is unprofessional you must be kidding? Also if your going to go stalking players and reporting back here everything that they do, I dont want any part of it ! Like I said it would be a different stoy if it was mid week or something but for god sake let them have their entitlement to a bit of a life. Even Roy Keane went out for drinks after matches you know ! :rolleyes:

gordongekko
21/09/2008, 10:53 PM
Terry

Its about being professional. Players come here and they are happy in the knowledge that they can be out on the beer the most nights. If it was only the night of the game that would not be so bad but if Jeff runs the ass of them tomorrow a load of them will be sick because they are out TONIGHT again. But you are happy to have a bunch of alcos on the beer most nights and under performing when it counts . Just look at our last few games, lose against Ucd, lose against Cobh draw against Bray, win against Bray and draw against rovers. We should have won every game but you can bet the players did not miss any night out or hand back their wages at not doing so. We will always be a nothing club with this attitude.

We should expect nothing but the highest standards. The players are living the dream. They are professional sportsmen yet ye seem to think that they cant stay off the beer for less than 10 weeks. Well there is definitely something wrong with that attitude. All I can say is Galway United your welcome to the first division, and nobody seems to care as the party will go on on and on and on!!!!!!!! .

By the way I never mentioned anything about stalking players nor would I condone that action. I was out twice in the last 7 days and spotted 6 players and you can be sure there were more than that out . But we as a club seem to be happy with this party attitude.

gg

Terry-Lander
22/09/2008, 7:28 AM
Please close this crap.

GuisaSaigon
22/09/2008, 9:45 AM
Players are entitled to have a couple of drinks after a game. They have played brilliantly in the last couple of games. If the demon drink has had a hand in their improvement maybe we should be encouraging more drinking. It didn't harm the performances of some of our legends in the 80's and 90's.
It might burst your bubble but I've have seen the Galway Bog Ball team in action after games GG and it ain't pretty. Half them usually can't stand up.
As long as our lads aren't on the lash like Bebo Flynn we'll be alright. If still you have a problem with players drinking contact Jeff.

Patrick Dunne
22/09/2008, 9:58 AM
gg has a point about the culture of underachievement which is ingrained in the club, on and off the pitch.

Terry
22/09/2008, 4:52 PM
how much did they drink GG, were they even drinking alcohol ? I go out often and dont touch alcohol at all. I agree with what saigon has said and will be leaving it at that, but if there is any naming and shaming without hard evidence I will close this thread also.

gufct
22/09/2008, 10:28 PM
why not give your own name GG. Good job your not a chelsea Fan when Frank Lampard whose weekly wage would probably clear our Debt was pictured in yesterdays News of the World in a club in London after Chelseas champions league game last week.

There are actually players on our Team who dont drink I know you might find that hard to believe and as for the GAA being amateur ask Ger Loughnane why he is so desperate to stay in the Galway Job.

Terry-Lander
23/09/2008, 7:22 AM
Enough of the team bashing.........I was in Drom last Saturday and there appeared to be an FAI coaching session taking place. (Great to see the legend Kevin Cass still strutting his stuff). I was very impresses to see Foley, after a hard game the previous night, training and giving it his all.

Now less b!tch!ng and knocking our own a bit of praise for the huge improvement that has taken place.

gufct
23/09/2008, 9:03 AM
Here here .If we show the same spirit as we did in the last three games we will get our rewards and GG can go back to his beloved Amateur Sport.

Claret Murph
23/09/2008, 9:29 AM
I would say it's time to close this thread again .......

gordongekko
23/09/2008, 9:16 PM
This is the best funded best looked after team in our history. They are training on one of the best training grounds in the country at great expense to the club. They are playing their home games on the best surface in the country paid for at great expense by the club. The support the players have received has been unprecedented in the history of this club. The players received large pay rises at the end of the season. The board of directors are pumping in a large sum of money every week to keep the club going. Supporters are asked to buy season tickets, lotto, golf outing. Friendly tickets, annual ball and a car draw. What have we to show for all this.

No league home wins this year so far.
3 league wins all year.
3 or 4 home wins in the last 2 seasons.

We can blame Tony cousins, the financial problems, Jeff Kennas selections all we want but at the end of the day the players are not prepared to go the extra mile for us.

The last 3 league matches were all against beatable teams both ucd and cobh showed far more hunger than us. Rovers only want the season to end they have nothing to play for. We took 1 point from these 3 games. That’s just not good enough.

How many silly goals have we been given away by the players not concentrating for the 90 minutes of the game. How many games have people arrived in a few minutes late to see us 1-0 down?.

Lets talk about the bog game as you call it. Maybe the Galway players are legless after matches but you do realise that they have not won a match in croke park since the 2001 All-Ireland final. That’s 7 years??. Maybe they should not be out either??. Lets focus on Tyrone ( 3 all Ireland titles in 5 years). They are winners and we should behave like winners. Back in 2005 when Tyrone lost the Ulster final and it looked like their season was in tatters their captain decided to lead by example. He pledged that he would pack in his job and train full time for the rest of the year as he felt that that was what was required to win the all Ireland. Tyrone went on the beat the winners from Ulster Munster and Leinster on their way to winning that all Ireland. How does our captain behave after us dropping 8 very winnable points. He leads half of the team into Halo!!!!.

To me these players are showing no commitment to this club. The table does not lie. We should not be putting up with this attitude. We should expect more from our players. We should be midtable and looking forward to a cup semi final instead we are in big trouble and looking at first division football next year.

But at least the party will go on and on and on!!!

gg

Claret Murph
24/09/2008, 8:58 AM
You are flogging a dead horse GG , time to move on :cool:

eamo1
24/09/2008, 2:56 PM
Connacht Rugby are the same way as our football players and GAA players.But this is an issue where Galway is just such a relaxed city that ive seen so many people with ambitions just settle down here into a cushy job etc so they can enjoy the social life.Its not a bad thing,its one of the reasons i love this city in fact.Its the mentality of us in this city and county to be relaxed and therefore its harder for professionals(in any job) to succeed here then in say Dublin.We were better years ago(Galway utd) when our players were living,working and training in Dublin and only playing matches here,maybe we should go back to that:confused::).

Patrick Dunne
24/09/2008, 7:57 PM
Everything gg says is correct, its just that his timing is appalling.

The last thing we need now is a witchhunt. We have to support the team between now and the end of the season.

There will have to be a total review of on and off the field activities at end of November (after the FAI Cup Final).

MyTown
25/09/2008, 10:35 AM
I'm amazed gg has knocked almost a week out of this. I thought he was such a sensitive soul as he reacted with such horror to the (non alcoholic) support of the CEO & then manager at a supporters forum up in Becketts a while back which he seemed to regard as offensive heckling.

Anyway thanks to players and management for wholehearted effort and great entertainmnet in the last few outings - I'm almost over my trip to Cobh & am geting in the mood for the spin to Boyneside