PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup

Ref
01/10/2003, 11:23 AM
2010 FIFA World Cup™ bid dossiers submitted to FIFA today

Zurich, 30 September 2003

The national associations of Egypt, Libya, Morocco, South Africa and Tunisia (listed in alphabetical order) – all bidding for the honour of hosting the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ – have submitted their bid dossiers to FIFA today during official presentations at the headquarters of world football’s governing body in Zurich.

Read on here. (http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,72130.html)

liamon
01/10/2003, 2:28 PM
Can any of these associations really afford to build decent stadia to host a WC?
I know they have football clubs with grounds at present, but a WC needs a pretty serious financial investment.
Plus, do they have the infrestructure to deal with the crowds? I've only been to Egypt, but the road system there is dodgy as hell. Also, there is a serious risk of getting blown to bits by Muslim nutters, so tourists require 24 hour armed protection.

Ozymandias
01/10/2003, 2:58 PM
south africa is the best placed to deal with it but they do not have the infrastructure either although they have a good few stadia from the rugby...Massive security issue there ...I was there last january briliant place but pretty dodgy as well

John83
01/10/2003, 6:29 PM
Is it true that Nigeria have thrown their hat in with South Africa's bid? That would almost certainly assure that bid of success.

I have to say, this who idea of rotating the WC between continents is stupid. How many more Asian, or African countries can host the cup? How many more European and South American countries will be denied the honour to satisfy the p.c. need for fairness?

Junior
02/10/2003, 10:58 AM
In all fairness, european and Sth American countries have had more than there fair share of hosting WC's.

Rotation seems a fair way in my opinion.

John83
02/10/2003, 11:22 AM
Rotation between countries is fair. Rotation between continents is stupid. I ask again, how many Asian and African countries are suitable for holding a WC? Comparatively speaking, there are far, far more potential European and South American bids, but they get the same number of chances as the half dozen Asian or African bids.

Junior
02/10/2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by John83
Rotation between countries is fair. Rotation between continents is stupid. I ask again, how many Asian and African countries are suitable for holding a WC? Comparatively speaking, there are far, far more potential European and South American bids, but they get the same number of chances as the half dozen Asian or African bids.

Agree, at the present time there are more suitable countries in Europe/Sth America (though certain parts of South America has a pretty drastic ecoinomic situation at present).

However, given the time till the 2010 World Cup is nearly 7 years away, this gives ample time for the winning nation to get things in order, all things that will be included in the bid and asessed by the FIFA delegates.

African football has improved immensely over the last 15 years, it is the 'World' Cup, I think they should be given opportunity to see if they can host such a major tournament.

pete
02/10/2003, 11:56 AM
Rotation between continents is a bit dodgy if no countries ready to host the tournament in asia or africa but id South America good enpough to host it then those other continents should be. Besides theres such a gap before these continents would hots for a 2nd time that be good chance be suitable countries...

liamon
02/10/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by pete
Rotation between continents is a bit dodgy if no countries ready to host the tournament in asia or africa but id South America good enpough to host it then those other continents should be. Besides theres such a gap before these continents would hots for a 2nd time that be good chance be suitable countries...

I know South Ameria isn't exactly the most developed place on this planet, but I still think it's a long way ahead of Africa. While I do understand the desire to see the game getting promoted world wide, I don't think you should have a WC there just for the sake of it. If the grounds and supporting infrastructure aren't up to it, then it's going to be a bit of a shambles.
Plus, 7 years or 70 years isn't going to matter if the cash isn't there to buid a stadium. Anyway, shouldn't they have other priorities for their cash? Like schools, hospitals, etc.?
Hell, we're a first world nation and we can't build a stadium to hold WC qualifiers in. That said, South Africa has the rugby grounds, so they may be ok.

crc
02/10/2003, 2:34 PM
Rotation is a good idea - there are enough venues to keep us going for a long time:

2010 - South Africa
2014 - Europe (maybe Spain)
2018 - South America (Brazil or Argentina & Chile)
2022 - Australia
2026 - Europe (England?)
2030 - Uruguay (with help - 100 anniversary)
2034 - Asia (China?)
2038 - Europe

C.

Duncan Gardner
03/10/2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by liamon
Can any of these associations really afford to build decent stadia to host a WC?...Also, there is a serious risk of getting blown to bits by Muslim nutters, so tourists require 24 hour armed protection.

Even Japan couldn't really 'afford' it- in the sense that most of the stadia are forecast to be underused white elephants for the foreseeable future, and that the organisers had to mortgage heavily to host the tournament.

Of the African countries, South Africa has the best infrastructure and could do it with financial help from FIFA. On the other hand, likelihoods of violence towards both locals and visitors are probably higher there than in Egypt now :(

liamon
06/10/2003, 12:41 PM
Can't really compare the financial clout of Japan wiht that of Nigeria. Different leagues.

At this stage, I can't see anyone except South Africa getting it, unless FIFA manage to contribute tons of cash to the host country. And that's unlikely as the FIFA muppets will require a large slice to line their own pockets with.

Bald Student
06/10/2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by John83
Is it true that Nigeria have thrown their hat in with South Africa's bid? That would almost certainly assure that bid of success.

How far apart are those two countries?

SÓC
07/10/2003, 9:09 AM
Originally posted by Bald Student
How far apart are those two countries?

I think what I read somewhere is that Nigeria have given up on their bid and will support the South Africian one instead.

Shed End John
08/10/2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Junior
In all fairness, european and Sth American countries have had more than there fair share of hosting WC's.

Rotation seems a fair way in my opinion.

Have to agree with ya there, at least as a short term modus operandi. Trouble with the WC is you have to rotate it or just hand every competition to Europe. For example, Argentina will NEVER hold another WC as things stand. The almost total concentration of top-flight clubs and stadia in and around Buenos Aires would prevent their hosting the competition. Likewise, Brazil would have a similar shortage of top class stadia. Only feasible hosts are Spain, Italy, Germany, France, England-maybe, USA, and last years host nations.