PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a website

bennocelt
20/09/2008, 8:46 PM
Hi
I am interested in starting up a website...........so basically how do I go about it:)

A face
20/09/2008, 11:47 PM
Hi
I am interested in starting up a website...........so basically how do I go about it:)

Do you know HTML?

If you dont you can use this -> www.freewebs.com (http://members.freewebs.com/)

If you do then what do you need to know?

bennocelt
21/09/2008, 8:29 AM
Tx A Face, that link looks good
No I dont no HTLM

A face
21/09/2008, 12:24 PM
Hi

Just wondering, is it for your club? Is it a fan related site?

And with that site i think its best to decide what you need/want and then go look for it. There are so many templates that you can just get bogged down picking one out.

bennocelt
22/09/2008, 11:50 AM
Just wondering, is it for your club? Is it a fan related site?

And with that site i think its best to decide what you need/want and then go look for it. There are so many templates that you can just get bogged down picking one out.

tx A face, have tried it and it looks bloody easy to use, jesus makes you wonder how hard all this computer stuff really is!!!;)

the templates are a joke though

No i am just trying to see if i can set up 2 web related business', i have a good product and have decent contacts so im really only testing the web at the moment, and its all very much still a work in progress - so that website was a REAL help

A face
22/09/2008, 11:57 AM
tx A face, have tried it and it looks bloody easy to use, jesus makes you wonder how hard all this computer stuff really is!!!;)

the templates are a joke though

No i am just trying to see if i can set up 2 web related business', i have a good product and have decent contacts so im really only testing the web at the moment, and its all very much still a work in progress - so that website was a REAL help

If you need anything anyway just give us a shout.

Also, if its for businesses make sure you sign up fvor as many business directories (most of them free) as possible (work at it for about a month after website is setup) to get the word out there.

dahamsta
22/09/2008, 3:29 PM
Let me know what you're doing by email and I'll give you a few tips. Prefer not to do it here lest I be accused of pimping on me own site.

adam AT beecher DOT net

adam

bennocelt
24/09/2008, 9:39 AM
Tx guys, will get back to ye in a few days - apart from tweaking and all that, im actually off this week too, so im doing a bit of sightseeing and takin advantage of the weather - so it will be by the end of the week or start of next week before anything concrete is done, but i appreciate the help:)

bennocelt
29/09/2008, 12:45 AM
Ok so have set up a decent site on freewebs. Now I know web hosting isn't the best thing to do if you want to get ahead but it will do for me at the moment, to be honest to have my own domain name at the moment isnt really a big thing

The next thing is getting it out there? A face - you mentioned business directories? How do i get onto them?

Also I really havent a clue about getting a site map (or can i if im on a webhost?). I must be really thick or something but i haven't a clue how to do this??:o:o

dahamsta
29/09/2008, 1:20 AM
If you're serious about business, you need to get it off freewebs and onto a proper host with your own domain name. Seriously, would you deal with someone hosted there? The investment is tiny, even for a tiny business. Even a crappy host and registrar for fifty bucks is better than a free host. (Although you should be spending about a hundred for something more reliable and secure.)

Unless you're using a proper content management system, you need to create a sitemap yourself. The clue's in the name. ;)

adam