PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 performances in Europe

Pages : 1 [2]

oriel
22/09/2008, 10:34 PM
Slightly off topic, did any other club play an away leg in a neutral country apart from us v Linfield in 1979 (match was played in Holland, which we won 2-0, 3-1 on agg) + Shels* v Rangers in Tranmere's ground in 96/97*

* possibly the worst collapse in a game, they were 3-0 up I think.

HarpoJoyce
22/09/2008, 11:13 PM
Slightly off topic, did any other club play an away leg in a neutral country apart from us v Linfield in 1979 (match was played in Holland, which we won 2-0, 3-1 on agg) + Shels* v Rangers in Tranmere's ground in 96/97*

* possibly the worst collapse in a game, they were 3-0 up I think.

Yes, The City of the Clubs benefitted the mostest from decisions to take the match away from the originally intended venue.

Cup-Winners-Cup 1972-1973 match
Pezoporikos (2-6) Cork Hibs 1-2 1-4
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ecwc/history/season=1972/round=815/index.html
Both matches were played in Cork. I don't have the exact details. Pezoporikos later merged with another club to form AEK Larnaca.
http://www.aek.com.cy/ (audio at the begining, maybe NSFW)
http://aek.com.cy/link.php?id=5

Due to the bit of bother with 'the Generals' overthrowing a legimate Greek Government and serious Unification movement in Cyprus a liberating Turkish Army arrived in Cyprus in 1974. It was deemed difficult to organise matches and travel so Cypriot clubs lost out.
European Cup 1st Round 1974 -1975
Omonia - Cork Celtic (c) (c)
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/history/season=1974/round=989/index.html
Cork Celtic got to play in Yerevan, Russia after that.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/history/season=1974/round=990/index.html

CSFShels
22/09/2008, 11:43 PM
In my lifetime(well at least what I can remember), I'd have to say its hard to look past Bohs with Kaiserslautern and Aberdeen, but moreso Shels with Split and Deportivo, although I'm probably a bit biased.

Candystripe
23/09/2008, 12:50 AM
In my lifetime(well at least what I can remember), I'd have to say its hard to look past Bohs with Kaiserslautern and Aberdeen, but moreso Shels with Split and Deportivo, although I'm probably a bit biased.

So where were you two years ago when Derry beat two times uefa cup winners IFK Gothenborg 1-0 home and away?

Beat the Scotish dream team Gretna away(they were at the time) 5-1 and were unlucky in the home 0-0 with PSG!

I suppose you must have a selective memory.

Straightstory
23/09/2008, 7:22 AM
Shelbourne's aggregate defeat of Belenenses in 1964. (Featured on MNS recently). Belenenses were a top team at the time, in what was a very strong Portugese league. (Benfica were one of Europe's dominant clubs). Winning one leg is all very well, but winning the aggregate tie is a much clearer indication of a team's ability and achievement. Bohs defeat of Aberdeen is much more impressive than their eventual loss to Kaiserslautern. Derry's defeat of Gothenberg is more impressive than Drogs' draw in Kiev. (Although if they had won and knocked Kiev out it would have been the greatest ever achievement by an Irish club).

SunderlandBohs
23/09/2008, 10:36 AM
Bohs 0-0 Steua back in 92 CWC. Feature 4 players who were in the Romania WC 94 squad that made it to the Quarter Finals.

Dodge
23/09/2008, 11:04 AM
Bohs 0-0 Steua back in 92 CWC. Feature 4 players who were in the Romania WC 94 squad that made it to the Quarter Finals.

What was the score in the other leg?

pineapple stu
23/09/2008, 12:19 PM
I just put up teams' (that are relevant today) worst results in Europe. It just so happens that UCD's "worst" result was 1-0. Had it been a worst performances list UCD wouldn't have been on it, nor a few others. I should have made it clearer that it was results not necessarily performances my list referred to.
Ooh, good backtracking! :)

Dodge
23/09/2008, 12:24 PM
Not backtracking by him at all. He even put the clubs in alphabetical order

pineapple stu
23/09/2008, 12:25 PM
Joke, Dodge. Joke!

HarpoJoyce
23/09/2008, 12:34 PM
Not backtracking by him at all. He even put the clubs in alphabetical order

If the clubs are in alphabetical order, shouldn't Anderlecht be at the top? Or is that a blank spot because Derry City didn't show for a game?

To answer the Bohs / Steau question they lost four-nil in Bucharest. Probaly had the same 'shots from distance' difficulty Pat's had a couple of years earlier. Also, some Bohs representatives, incl. fans, may wanted to ring Lennart Johannsons neck because Bohs got drawn with Dinamo Minsk around the same time. This was even before the time, when going to Budapest in 1998 was a chore.

Titan
23/09/2008, 1:39 PM
To be honest I'd put the 3 all draw at home to Velzh ahem Velze the bulgarians or whatever they wereas the worst result. Defo worse than losing 1 -0 away to the eventual winners of the competition!

garyderry
23/09/2008, 3:17 PM
If the clubs are in alphabetical order, shouldn't Anderlecht be at the top? Or is that a blank spot because Derry City didn't show for a game?

we didnt exactly not show, we were banned from playing by the IFA as per usual.