PDA

View Full Version : The Belfield Bore

sligoman
19/09/2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.newmexiconuts.net/catalog/tumbleweed.jpg

We are playing U.C.D. tonight and no talk yet...Seamie and Rommy back, Mauro suspended. Ventre probably in centre back so. We should be able to beat UCD, although it'll probably end up 0-0 again:mad:. One plus is that it's our last trip to Dubland this season:)

brianw82
19/09/2008, 9:41 AM
Judgey might be available, according to rte.ie

Inside Man
19/09/2008, 10:10 AM
Hate going to UCD. Graveyard of Irish football.
The sooner they go down the better. Hope we get a victory even more today because it would help send them down and obviously push us on.
1-0. Doherty to get on the scoresheet.

John83
19/09/2008, 10:15 AM
I think you guys will beat us tonight. We have a young, inexperienced team of old players who only come to Belfield to die, and we just can't compete with the likes of Sligo without taking on your business model of spending more money on player wages than we have, and then wailing to our fans that we desperately need hundreds of thousands of euro to stay afloat. It's no contest really.

avvenalaf
19/09/2008, 11:47 AM
An 'inexperienced team of OLD players' ?? What have they been doing all their lives?

celticV3
19/09/2008, 12:10 PM
I think you guys will beat us tonight. We have a young, inexperienced team of old players who only come to Belfield to die, and we just can't compete with the likes of Sligo without taking on your business model of spending more money on player wages than we have, and then wailing to our fans that we desperately need hundreds of thousands of euro to stay afloat. It's no contest really.

I bet you giggled like a schoolgirl typing that?

Think it will be a 0-0 draw unfortunately, the lack of atmosphere in the 'bowl' usually drags the play down a bit, hard to be inspired to do something magical or special in a game when you feel your in a morgue. Would love to sneak a win but can see a defensive ucd tonight.

Boo_Boy
19/09/2008, 12:10 PM
An 'inexperienced team of OLD players' ?? What have they been doing all their lives?

I've read it 5 times and i still dont understand it.

Jeebus
19/09/2008, 12:13 PM

A PhD probably.

Rovers Maniac
19/09/2008, 7:22 PM
Good start 1 up Doherty with a peno

sligo23
19/09/2008, 8:41 PM
The sooner they go down the better. Hope we get a victory even more today because it would help send them down and obviously push us on.
you're abit special you are:D

Rovers Maniac
19/09/2008, 8:42 PM
Rovers win 2-1

sligo23
19/09/2008, 8:48 PM
Rovers win 2-1
what?:confused:

sligofan4ever
19/09/2008, 8:53 PM
Rovers win 2-1

yes..... around this time last year they did.

Did Matthew Judge play any part tonight ?

Uncle Tupelo
19/09/2008, 9:29 PM
Not a great game but three points in the bag. UCD look doomed, they have nothing up front.
It was a typical boring ucd game with no atmosphere. The first half was pretty good with a few chances created, UCD missed a sitter after two minutes but after that rovers were all over them. The second half was brutal with rovers playing way too deep. Thought Raf was the best player on the night, full of energy and got stuck in. Richie Ryan was pretty good, good passer of the ball. Judge didn't come on.

sligoman
20/09/2008, 12:19 AM
Finally we get a win! Good first half but we were very poor in the 2nd. One of Cash's worst performances of the season imo. O'Grady and Raf never gave up as usual. Not an exciting game but we got the three points and that's what matters!

Rovers fan
20/09/2008, 12:44 AM
Crap game as per usual but that doesn't matter. We were good in the 1st half,probably should have scored 1 or 2 more. In the 2nd half we were poor and were lucky that ucd were so bad going forward.

O'grady was immense,especially towards the end when a few others were tiring.

Hopefully we have helped relegate UCD and we won't have to suffer at that morgue anymore.

Tis a pity we were so unlucky this season,as we really could have pushed for a uefa cup spot,bearing in mind that we still have some of the "weaker" sides to play.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
20/09/2008, 1:11 AM

Was I the only one hoping we'd knick a second towards the end so this wouldn't come through?

20 years trying to win away to the students and now we cant stop getting points there

pineapple stu
20/09/2008, 1:47 AM
Curious that if it were UCD who brought eight fans to an away game and spent the entire second half camped inside their own penalty box with no more ambition than to hoof clear and maybe create a chance on the counter, there'd be calls for us to be kicked out of the league. Strange how these things don't work in reverse.

We're screwed on the pitch; at least we're not screwed off it.

sligoman
20/09/2008, 1:51 AM
Curious that if it were UCD who brought eight fans to an away gameWe all know from the attendances thread that you're not the best with figures but eight fans?:D. What was the attendance tonight? At least 3000 I'd say.

*sits down and chants*

"THE COLLEGE, THE COLLEGE":rolleyes:

pineapple stu
20/09/2008, 1:53 AM
OK, maybe ten. Being generous.

How'd the team get home? Were they told it's OK to leave the box?

sligoman
20/09/2008, 1:55 AM

How'd the team get home? Were they told it's OK to leave the box?You clearly can't count so.

How's the shooting practice going? Clearly not well. Harps are a joke yet ye can't over-take them...says a lot about your team.

pineapple stu
20/09/2008, 1:57 AM
It really does. But hey, at least our team ain't bankrupting us. I'd be more worried about a team that can only score once (a penalty) against us in the league and which is costing you your club.

We'll be back. Will you?

sligoman
20/09/2008, 1:59 AM
We'll be back. Will you?Back from where?:confused: We'll still be in the Premier Division next season.

pineapple stu
20/09/2008, 1:59 AM
Back from financial ruin, obviously.

Jeebus
20/09/2008, 2:56 AM

God i wish i was you........at worst i wished i looked like you. our business structure may not be what you like but thank **** we have it.

I hope to **** harps stay up, if ye do at least we only have to go to the rugger ground once next year. fair play on your promotion side, the young fellas that are students got shower gel for a year...........Roryh and Rovers1 should use them the smelly *******s.

brianw82
20/09/2008, 6:41 AM
3 points, an energy drink, and shower gel. What more could a person want?

We played WAY too deep in the 2nd half after the subs came on, we invited UCD on to us. However, they share the same problems with us up front. If they had any kind of decent striker, they would've scraped a draw. McFaul is a good player, though.
From our point of view, Brushy had his usual solid game. Danny was also good at the back, and Raf and Rommy played well too. Seamie was a bit understated, I feel.

That shower gel is really great. I feel so clean this morning. :)

forza rovers
20/09/2008, 7:11 AM

How'd the team get home? Were they told it's OK to leave the box?eh..the same way they got their by bus!:D

Shiba
20/09/2008, 9:50 AM

I have no doubt Sligo Rovers will be back next season competing in the top division and will be for many a year.As for the club needing the fans to help dig them out of finaacial difficulties,as a community club that's what happens.We don't have big money men coming in with big promises.We are not in debt to same amount as other clubs.Ya ! We have money problems but are trying to tackle it before it gets out of control.As For you as a educated man what benefit are UCD to the league,I have never seen what they bring to the league! They have had some good players over the years but as as club they bring nothing.The first division are going to be the losers when ye go down.leinster senior league is ye should stay!

Inside Man
20/09/2008, 11:05 AM
Curious that if it were UCD who brought eight fans to an away game, there'd be calls for us to be kicked out of the league. Strange how these things don't work in reverse.

Don't know where you got the figure for 8 Rovers fans at the game Stu. There seems to be more than eight Rovers fans on this site alone who were at the game. So basically your talking s-h-1-t-e.
Overall it was a poor game. Pity Romy didn't get on the scoresheet because he deserves something for all his hard work. Fair result. UCD didn't do enough for me to get the points, and we have been due a result in recent weeks.

That was beautifull! Had couple of euro on that too.:D
Was praying we wouldn't score in the last couple of minutes:p:D

Rovers1
20/09/2008, 1:07 PM
delighted we won last night, our first win since Harps is it??

with any luck we wont have to go back to that kip again, unless its a cup game. :(

sligofan4ever
20/09/2008, 5:06 PM
was good to see us get 3 points, been to long since we last enjoyed a win :(. And hopefully they can build on it with 3 of our next 4 games are ones we can win, and hopefully another exciting match derry city, hopefully we can get a draw out of that. Its important Rovers get the goals for the remaining matches, if were battling for 6th with shamrock rovers it may all come down to goal difference on the final day.

Rovers1
20/09/2008, 9:56 PM
it may all come down to goal difference on the final day.

i somehow doubt it!;)

Fivesilver
21/09/2008, 10:11 AM
Happy enough with that, given the relative motivation of the two sides, UCD desperately scrambling to avoid relegation . . . which makes the whining about the lack of away fans all the funnier. With their team in desperate trouble, a handful of home fans turned up and 'cheered' precisely once - no doubt everyone will remember that historic moment midway through the second half when they mustered the strength for around seven seconds of the Belfield Roar.

Thought Danny, Conor and Raf were outstanding, Dick and Peersy good and Cashie and Richie were cack.