Steve Bruce
Date of birth 31-12-1960
Place of birth Newcastle
Height 6.00
Weight 13.00
Position Central Defender
Nationality English

Senior Club Appearances: 926
Senior Club League Appearances: 737 (81 goals)
Manchester United Appearances: 470
Manchester United League Appearances: 309 (0 as sub)
Years at United - 87-96
Other Clubs: Gillingham, Norwich, Birmingham, Sheffield United
Senior Int Caps won: 0

Gary Pallister
Date of birth 30-06-1965
Place of birth Ramsgate
Height 6.04
Weight 14.08
Position Defender
Nationality English

Senior Club Appearances: 736
Senior Club League Appearances: 535 (18 goals)
Manchester United Appearances: 451
Manchester United League Appearances: 317 (3 as sub)
Years At United - 89-98
Other Clubs: Middlesbrough (x2), Darlington (loan)
Senior Int Caps won: 22

*I decide against including a career roll of honour as both players spent the bulk of their career partnering each other.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

sources - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=1078
http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=6080
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bruce#Playing_statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Pallister

holidaysong
18/09/2008, 11:05 PM
Any idea on how many goals each scored? Would like to know that before voting...

Cheers for putting this up by the way! :)

Stevo Da Gull
18/09/2008, 11:21 PM
Any idea on how many goals each scored? Would like to know that before voting...

Cheers for putting this up by the way! :)

No worries :)

I'm 95% sure that the stats are correct, soccerbase.com confuses me :o

holidaysong
19/09/2008, 8:32 AM
Was going to go with Bruce anyway but the goals figure speaks for itself. He scored some priceless goals for Manchester United in his time... The two against Sheffield Wednesday in injury time when they won the Premier League title (for the first time?) being the most obvious.. I still can't believe he never got capped!

Bluebeard
19/09/2008, 9:47 AM
The own-goals figure would be a good one to read too, if available - Pallister leading the way on that one, I suspect.

How Bruce got overlooked the whole time by England probably says a lot about why England so often fail to make the most of their resources.

superfrank
19/09/2008, 10:34 AM
I decide against including a career roll of honour as both players spent the bulk of their career partnering each other.
It's kind of hard to compare two players that were defensive partners, surely?

I mean, they might have done different jobs.

Anyway, I think I'll break the trend. Pallister is better. I always thought he was tidier than Bruce.

bennocelt
19/09/2008, 10:50 AM
what about neither? Both were way overrated

drinkfeckarse
19/09/2008, 11:15 AM
It's kind of hard to compare two players that were defensive partners, surely?

Don't quite get that one superfrank?? They were both central defenders who's primary job was to defend and stop the other team scoring! I could see your point if you were talking about a sweeper/centre half partnership like Baresi and Costacurta.

jebus
19/09/2008, 12:12 PM
Pallister as I think he was more solid than Bruce. Thinking back I have an image of Bruce making a few mistakes, I don't have that with Pallister

superfrank
19/09/2008, 12:29 PM
Don't quite get that one superfrank?? They were both central defenders who's primary job was to defend and stop the other team scoring!
Yeah, but some partnerships work better because one half will do what the other half won't.

For example, Terry and Carvalho at Chelsea. Terry's all for the full-blooded challenges and powerful headers but Carvalho plays with his brain a bit more. He makes smarter tackles and will try and pick someone out with a pass as opposed to Terry, more often than not, hoofing the ball forward.

Rebel11
19/09/2008, 1:27 PM
It was a great partnership but i would have to pick Pallister.

drinkfeckarse
19/09/2008, 3:52 PM
Yeah, but some partnerships work better because one half will do what the other half won't.

For example, Terry and Carvalho at Chelsea. Terry's all for the full-blooded challenges and powerful headers but Carvalho plays with his brain a bit more. He makes smarter tackles and will try and pick someone out with a pass as opposed to Terry, more often than not, hoofing the ball forward.

True but they don't have different jobs as you put it. They both are there to stop attacks. I can't see one of them being singled out to concentrate on one particular aspect of defending that the other fella isn't to do if you get what I mean.

sadloserkid
25/09/2008, 10:18 PM
Pallister was a better footballer for sure. I think that Bruce benefited more from playing alongside Pallister than vice versa.