PDA

View Full Version : Trap wants B game for fringe players before Cyprus

Rebel11
18/09/2008, 7:11 AM
Just saw this does anyone think he will change much for the home game?

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=72572-qqqx=1.asp

gwhite
18/09/2008, 7:46 AM
Good news this. I hope he gives the likes of Lawrence, Tabb, Best, O'Dea, N Hunt, etc a run.

Greenforever
18/09/2008, 7:56 AM
Like the idea, and also would love to see B international frienlies everytime there is a full international friendly, making loads of subs means most of these friendlies are worthless in the 2nd half.

galah
18/09/2008, 8:35 AM
Like the idea, and also would love to see B international frienlies everytime there is a full international friendly, making loads of subs means most of these friendlies are worthless in the 2nd half.

not a bad idea really ...like they have with the A internationals in rugby. and since trap doesnt seem to want to travel to watch the premiership this would be ideal for players to impress

tetsujin1979
18/09/2008, 9:01 AM
Just saw this does anyone think he will change much for the home game?

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=72572-qqqx=1.asp
I can't see him making any changes for the Cyprus game, but anyone who impresses in the B international could get a full call up for the Poland game in November. Whelan played in the Scotland game last November, now look at him.

ifk101
18/09/2008, 9:27 AM
The use of the wording "B game" is a bit misleading.

From reading the rest of the article it's said the game will involve "A" squad players outside the first 11 for the games in Georgia and Montenegro. I expect the team for this "B game" will be something like;

Kiely,

Kelly, McShane, Bruce, Delaney,
Keogh, A. Reid, Miller, Duff,
Murphy, Long.

Duggie
18/09/2008, 10:16 AM
why would he play duff ? he wants the game a few days before the main game and provided hes fit duff will start against cyprus.

Carrigaline
18/09/2008, 10:37 AM
Duff will not be playing in a B international.

NeilMcD
18/09/2008, 10:49 AM
Good idea this match.

Billy-Green
18/09/2008, 11:00 AM
I'd love to see a B international, but id be of the opinion that players who arent really getting called up to the senior squad should get a look in.

The use of the wording "B game" is a bit misleading.

From reading the rest of the article it's said the game will involve "A" squad players outside the first 11 for the games in Georgia and Montenegro. I expect the team for this "B game" will be something like;

Kiely,

Kelly, McShane, Bruce, Delaney,
Keogh, A. Reid, Miller, Duff,
Murphy, Long.

I'd rather see the team include the likes of Garvan, Lawerence, Noel Hunt, Geary, Quinn, St Ledger, Henderson, Walters, O'Toole, Tabb.

seanfhear
18/09/2008, 11:03 AM
A very good idea because we seem to have a lot of players with potential and Trap needs to have a look at them

Dun Laoire
18/09/2008, 1:20 PM
You see i would feel that these kind of games can be played on the training ground so i'm not so sure what can be achieved by this that cant be done behind the scenes? What Trap should try do is arrange a friendly purely for the B team against anybody but our 1st team. Big difference playing with a few nerves bumbling in the stomach. The B team would go out there with something to prove but it's easier when you're up against your team mates.

gspain
18/09/2008, 1:51 PM
We've played Scotland B in 2006 and 2007. Useful exercises.

I think we should play more of these and less senior friendlies.

Lionel Ritchie
18/09/2008, 2:20 PM
I like the idea but why a club side if it's not possible to put out a selection from our own league? Would if not be worth giving Nigel Worthington and the IFA a buzz to see if they'd fancy doing something similar?

musicinmouth
18/09/2008, 2:57 PM
I think that it would also be a good opportunity to bring an international game to outside of Dublin (Cork or Galway maybe)... but it looks like they want it to be in Dublin...

finnpark
18/09/2008, 3:26 PM
Keith Fahy, Jason Gavin and Shane Robinson all deserve a run.

Fahy in particular is as good as any attacking midfielder that Ireland have including Stephen Ireland

Razors left peg
18/09/2008, 3:31 PM

Fahy in particular is as good as any attacking midfielder that Ireland have including Stephen Ireland

Fahys a good player but I wouldnt go that far

Carrigaline
18/09/2008, 3:31 PM
Oh right, so we can expect Manchester City, Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland to start hammering down the St. Pat's door to replace Ireland, S. Reid and A. Reid?

finnpark
18/09/2008, 5:11 PM
Oh right, so we can expect Manchester City, Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland to start hammering down the St. Pat's door to replace Ireland, S. Reid and A. Reid?

To be honest I would expect a lot of clubs to be interested after his recent performances, particularly against Hertha Berlin. Pats will ask for a 7 figure sum though.

youngirish
18/09/2008, 5:13 PM

He's not even as good as Kathy Ireland.

Colbert Report
18/09/2008, 8:43 PM
I'd like to see mostly LOI players in this proposed match. I haven't seen a true Irish side play in many many years due to the fact that I now live in North America. When I lived in Ireland, the standard of play was shockingly bad, I'd like to use this opportunity to see if these players have improved in quality to the degree many seem to claim on this forum.

Razors left peg
19/09/2008, 10:30 AM
To be honest I would expect a lot of clubs to be interested after his recent performances, particularly against Hertha Berlin. Pats will ask for a 7 figure sum though.

depends on how long is left on his contract... but wont get a million for him anyway

passinginterest
19/09/2008, 10:53 AM
depends on how long is left on his contract... but wont get a million for him anyway

Was talk of €350,000 when clubs were interested before the transfer window.

L37Ultra
19/09/2008, 11:11 AM
This game should be played against an LOI IX. Anyone think that would be a good idea? Can't see many other countries wanting to have a B team.

passinginterest
19/09/2008, 11:24 AM
This game should be played against an LOI IX. Anyone think that would be a good idea? Can't see many other countries wanting to have a B team.

It would be a good idea but probably not a practical one. Too much fixture congestion already for League of Ireland teams. I don't think it could be arranged at such short notice.

noby
19/09/2008, 11:25 AM
This game should be played against an LOI IX.

Did you read the article?

Speaking yesterday, FAI chief executive John Delaney explained: “Giovanni has asked for a possible B International match for the players who weren’t involved in the games in Georgia and Montenegro. It’s something we’re looking at and we might have it on a Saturday afternoon so that it doesn’t interfere with the eircom League schedule. Preferably we’d have liked to play against a League of Ireland selection but that won’t happen because we’re right in the middle of the league.

seanfhear
19/09/2008, 11:52 AM
I know that the league of Ireland has improved a lot recently but they are not good enough to start with only nine players against XI.:D