PDA

View Full Version : Eircom end title sponsorship of the league.

holidaysong
17/09/2008, 4:30 PM
Eircom will continue to sponsor the Republic of Ireland national team until 2010, with a further option to renew at the end of that period.

However the telecomunications group have officially ended their title sponsorship of the League of Ireland, although they will be staying on a communications partner, which is worth about €200,000.

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney revealed that he hopes to announce new sponsorship deals for the domestic league by the end of the year

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0917/eircom.html

John83
17/09/2008, 5:16 PM
Yes! Rename the forum, pronto!

pineapple stu
17/09/2008, 5:18 PM
"League"? :confused:

John83
17/09/2008, 5:21 PM
"League"? :confused:
of...

Longfordian
17/09/2008, 5:22 PM
Pat Grace Famous Fried Chicken is set for a sensational comeback as title sponsor.

superfrank
17/09/2008, 5:25 PM
Well, Irish League is taken...

Maybe "Irish Republican League" is a possibility. It could rope in the Celtic fans.

pineapple stu
17/09/2008, 5:30 PM
What was the deal worth anyway? Did I see a million a year somewhere? (Possibly the last time I asked!). Presumably a new sponsorship deal, in these recessionist times, would be worth less, which I assume would have to come, first of all, out of prize money for the top clubs (given that the bottom clubs get feck all, if any, prize money anyway)

gspain
17/09/2008, 5:52 PM
League of Ireland as it was for all those years.

niallsparky
17/09/2008, 5:54 PM
What was the deal worth anyway? Did I see a million a year somewhere? (Possibly the last time I asked!). Presumably a new sponsorship deal, in these recessionist times, would be worth less

When was the previous deal signed? Inflation since then means it's unlikely the new sponsership deal will be of less value. Also, there is no recession. And if there was, I don't think a long term advertising investment project would be affected too much. There hasn't been a huge decrease in consumer spending (yet) so construction sector aside, I doubt many Irish businesses are failing. Ultimately the sponser will have an already planned advertising budget and will likely make a decision on sponsering the league based on the future earning potential the advertising will entail, not on the current "recessionist times".

Schumi
17/09/2008, 6:05 PM
What was the deal worth anyway?
400k to the league according to Delaney on the news today.

Buile Shuibhne
17/09/2008, 6:24 PM
Listening to Delaney in a clip there on Newstalk106, he said that the FAI had suggested to eircom that they step back their lead sponsorship of the League of Ireland and he was delighted that they did. He hinted that they wanted and would soon announce a multi-sponsor deal for they League ( i.e. they couldn't get one single bluechip lead sponsor)

He didn't want to say who the new multi sponsors would be, cos he didn't want to steal eircom's thunder (i.e. nobody is lined up yet?)

Rovers1
17/09/2008, 6:30 PM
according to Today FM, Delaney said he "hopes" to have a deal secured for the LOI before the end of the year

In other words, "i dont give a sh!te about the league, im just gonna ignore the problem till it sorts itself out, sure we'll cross that bridge when we come to it"

A face
17/09/2008, 6:49 PM
Listening to Delaney in a clip there on Newstalk106, he said that the FAI had suggested to eircom that they step back their lead sponsorship of the League of Ireland and he was delighted that they did. He hinted that they wanted and would soon announce a multi-sponsor deal for they League ( i.e. they couldn't get one single bluechip lead sponsor)

He didn't want to say who the new multi sponsors would be, cos he didn't want to steal eircom's thunder (i.e. nobody is lined up yet?)

according to Today FM, Delaney said he "hopes" to have a deal secured for the LOI before the end of the year

In other words, "i dont give a sh!te about the league, im just gonna ignore the problem till it sorts itself out, sure we'll cross that bridge when we come to it"

I dunno, i wont so fast to cast judgement. Getting sponsors to sign up to any six figure sum will always be a long and protracted period of time. From what i have heard from Delaney so far he has committed to a certain period of time i.e. next four months, and he more than anyone else knows you cannot say anything if there is a remote possibility that it will come back to bite you later on. Sounds to me as if nothing is 100% yet but its all going well.

I think the medias slant on the league really rubs off on people here.

Buile Shuibhne
17/09/2008, 7:06 PM
I think the medias slant on the league really rubs off on people here.

I'm old enough, have been involved in politics, and have used the media myself, to know how they work.

I make up my own mind.

I also know a bull****ter when I hear one.

I have no confidence in Mr Delaney & Co's stewardship of the League of Ireland.

A face
17/09/2008, 7:19 PM
I have no confidence in Mr Delaney & Co's stewardship of the League of Ireland.

He is getting more done than anyone before him and i include everything before the 80's in there too. Dont get me wrong, i am far from pro-Delaney and i think most people on here will confirm that for ya but i do know that it takes a long time to get these things signed off. Companies simply will not part with their money unless they get a good deal, especially when its a six figure deal.

The FAI are slowly getting there, probably up to 40% of what they should be doing (and getting right) in the league, and thats a big lift from 30% since they took over. We have to give them credit for that 10%.

Buile Shuibhne
17/09/2008, 7:36 PM
Can you list his achievements and advances with the league.

How do you calculate the 30% and 40% bits ?

A face
18/09/2008, 8:06 AM
eircom and FAI extend sponsorship agreement

eircom and the FAI today announced a continuation of their partnership in a new deal which will see the relationship extended through 2010 with an option to renew further. This new contract sees eircom continue as the primary sponsor of the FAI and primary sponsor of all Republic of Ireland International teams. Separately, eircom will become the Official Communications Partner of the League of Ireland, extending eircom’s relationship with the League of Ireland under the newly restructured commercial partnership agreements.

Speaking at the announcement, Managing Director of eircom Retail, Cathal Magee said: “eircom is delighted to extend its strong links with Irish soccer and renew our sponsorship of the International teams. Our new agreement to become Official Communications Partner of the League of Ireland allows us to retain our involvement in the domestic game and we look forward to working with the FAI in this new capacity.

Read more at www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3603)

GuisaSaigon
18/09/2008, 9:09 AM
eircom and FAI extend sponsorship agreement

Separately, eircom will become the Official Communications Partner of the League of Ireland

Read more at www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3603)

What does that mean? No phone bills?:rolleyes:

gael353
18/09/2008, 11:30 AM
as you can see there is a massive responce to this on this LOI forum. The press release yesterday was spin, with devil in the detail party where der not supporting the Loi anymore. What all the spin means is that for a further two years extension we, the supporters will still be the only nationallity in the world which cannot buy its own national jersey without a commercial sponsor on it.

pineapple stu
18/09/2008, 11:53 AM
Also, there is no recession.
Eh, yes there is.

Titan
18/09/2008, 12:05 PM
Thought the league was going for a champions league style sponsorship with multiple companies and not having a title sponsor?
They already have eircom and Boyle sports announced (the two of them together add up to the title sponsors money from this year) and I know they have 1 more deal done but not yet announced and are looking at 2 others.

That means that the league will receive €600,000 more next year than this year in sponsorship. Surely thats a good thing?

A face
18/09/2008, 12:35 PM
Thought the league was going for a champions league style sponsorship with multiple companies and not having a title sponsor?
They already have eircom and Boyle sports announced (the two of them together add up to the title sponsors money from this year) and I know they have 1 more deal done but not yet announced and are looking at 2 others.

That means that the league will receive €600,000 more next year than this year in sponsorship. Surely thats a good thing?

Definitely, that great news ..... and they should be given credit for it too.

John83
18/09/2008, 12:40 PM
What does that mean? No phone bills?:rolleyes:
It's probably mainly to do with the free wireless access they set up in LoI grounds. Very handy for journos, I imagine.

passerrby
18/09/2008, 12:46 PM
I agree with face while i am unhappy with some aspects of JD leadership the league could and should continue to be a better product under him ,and while JD have made errors of judgement the biggest stumbling block to improvment is the clubs themsleves

Buile Shuibhne
18/09/2008, 12:55 PM

Where are you getting the 600k from?

Eircom 'communications sponsors' are putting up 200k

Boylesports 'betting partners' are putting up 75k.

Grand total of 275k.

No other muliple/joint/two-bit sponsors have been announced or signed up yet (with no money amounts either).

Titan
18/09/2008, 1:37 PM
Where are you getting the 600k from?

Eircom 'communications sponsors' are putting up 200k

Boylesports 'betting partners' are putting up 75k.

Grand total of 275k.

No other muliple/joint/two-bit sponsors have been announced or signed up yet (with no money amounts either).

Are you sure its only €75k from Boylesports? Cos I think it will be €200k when the full deal is announced.

I said that one other had been signed up but not announced. This is correct and yes I know who it is and no I'm not going to tell you!:D

I also said that 2 others were being spoken to. I should have made clear I suppose that if you beleive me then the total will be €1m which is €600k more than the league currently gets. Of course you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to!

Schumi
18/09/2008, 1:39 PM
Does this multiple sponsors plan mean that the league will just be called the League of Ireland or some such rather than *Sponsor* League?

niallsparky
18/09/2008, 1:49 PM
Eh, yes there is.

Recession = 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. We haven't had any yet. Economic dowturn/slowdown is what you're referring to.

Titan
18/09/2008, 1:49 PM
Does this multiple sponsors plan mean that the league will just be called the League of Ireland or some such rather than *Sponsor* League?

I think thats the plan!

Buile Shuibhne
18/09/2008, 2:22 PM
Are you sure its only €75k from Boylesports? Cos I think it will be €200k when the full deal is announced.

I said that one other had been signed up but not announced. This is correct and yes I know who it is and no I'm not going to tell you!:D

I also said that 2 others were being spoken to. I should have made clear I suppose that if you beleive me then the total will be €1m which is €600k more than the league currently gets. Of course you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to!

Quote attributed to Delaney in the Indo this morning:

"I don't wish to speculate as to whether there will be a title sponsor or not," said Delaney. "I have a very clear mind where we're at.

"In the past, we allocated €400,000 of the Eircom sponsorship towards the league. They will now be communications sponsor for €200,000 and we have Boylesports [betting partners] who are giving a commitment of €75,000.

I'll take a raincheck on what both you & Mr Delaney promise.

chipsahoy
18/09/2008, 2:46 PM
personally, think the delaney fella is doin good for the league of ireland....dont listen to roy keane or any international fans. most people think he#s ****e cause he appointed staunton or any bad decisions as regards the international fold

Rovers Maniac
18/09/2008, 2:53 PM
Delaney is full of spin, losing a blue chip company as the main sponsor of the league is not a good thing ! What did he say he urged them to take a step back ! Official communication partner what is that exactly? Will they being handing over €200k a year or is this just blarney? that clubs can send these free tets out?

What matters in the FAI's yes is the national team that is where they make their money and that is what Delaney only thinks about.

pineapple stu
18/09/2008, 2:57 PM
Recession = 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. We haven't had any yet. Economic dowturn/slowdown is what you're referring to.
ESRI report (http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20080623114553/QEC2008Sum_ES.pdf) - "Thus Ireland will experience a recession for the first time since 1983." GNP and GDP down 0.4%. That was three months ago, so we're presumably due for a third consecutive quarter.

The deal being done sounds good if the terms end up being anything like what's being mentioned. Course, the media will see it (and already have seen it) as the death knell for the league...

the-blue-harp
18/09/2008, 5:02 PM
well if you think about it, everytime the words "cash strapped" "examinership" and "overspending" are mentioned (only real media coverage of the league bar mns) so is Eircom, what company in their right mind would want their name associated with that!

Rovers Maniac
18/09/2008, 7:31 PM
well if you think about it, everytime the words "cash strapped" "examinership" and "overspending" are mentioned (only real media coverage of the league bar mns) so is Eircom, what company in their right mind would want their name associated with that!

Thats fair enough and i agree with you but was the whole idea of the FAI bringing in the measures they did was to create and i quote Mr John Delaney on this "A more transparent league".

bennocelt
19/09/2008, 8:46 AM
personally, think the delaney fella is doin good for the league of ireland....dont listen to roy keane or any international fans. most people think he#s ****e cause he appointed staunton or any bad decisions as regards the international fold

care to mention then what exactly the Muppet has done then:rolleyes:

holidaysong
19/09/2008, 9:47 AM
I'm looking forward to the possibility of people calling it the League of Ireland for a change.. I never liked the term 'Eircom League' too much. At what point does eircomloi.ie not become eircomloi.ie then?

P.S. - the news story on that website state:

"Separately, eircom will become the Official Communications Partner of the League of Ireland, extending eircom’s relationship with the League of Ireland under the newly restructured commercial partnership agreements."

Nothing about eircom not being title sponsor anymore..

http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/september-2008/news-32/index.xml