PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League - Prime Time Special

Pages : [1] 2 3

alansmithccfc
17/09/2008, 3:14 PM
Tomorrow night about the financial turmoil in the league at present.

Expect the outsider to be even more turned off:rolleyes:

Steve Bruce
17/09/2008, 3:23 PM
What channel?

Mr A
17/09/2008, 3:23 PM
Rte 1

alansmithccfc
17/09/2008, 3:30 PM
Alan Matthews refused to comment when asked by the primetime reporter

finnpark
17/09/2008, 3:43 PM
'He (Delaney) said that a dozen league clubs are profitable while three others had losses of less than €30,000. This statement represents a public assurance by the man who governs Irish football and it is only reasonable to assume that he would not make such public comments unless he was certain of the facts.' - Fintan Drury

I think John Delaney will be in for a bit of a hammering :o

HarpoJoyce
17/09/2008, 3:46 PM
Excellent - There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Will Miriam O'Callaghan write her own introduction to the taped piece?

CJTheGull
17/09/2008, 3:48 PM
In fairness Primetime is a very well researched and also well respected programme - I have no doubt that they will unearth all manner of stuff so I'll be hiding behind the couch for one!

alansmithccfc
17/09/2008, 3:53 PM
In fairness Primetime is a very well researched and also well respected programme - I have no doubt that they will unearth all manner of stuff so I'll be hiding behind the couch for one!

They do exaggerate a lot of things though....

Drogman.
17/09/2008, 4:00 PM
I hope Apres Match to a sketch on it.

Now that would be funny!

pineapple stu
17/09/2008, 4:05 PM
In fairness Primetime is a very well researched and also well respected programme
Wouldn't agree with that, albeit I don't watch it that often. The last time they had something about the eL (Shels and Fran Gavin), the comments were awful, the presenter hadn't a notion about the issues and Fran Gavin got away without a difficult question. The couple of other times I've seen it, they probably do have a decent point to make, but you could drive a bus through the holes in some of their arguments. I expect similar on this one, to be honest.

eamo1
17/09/2008, 4:16 PM
This program isnt well researched,its totally biased to one side of an argument and as already said some of their arguments are extremely thin.This will be the usual RTE style of kicking an organisation or individual when they are down and exagerating an issue."Blah Blah Blah a few clubs are in debt,blah blah blah a few clubs are over spending,blah blah blah the premiership in England is king".YAWN-gimmie the remote,what else is on?

alansmithccfc
17/09/2008, 4:47 PM
This program isnt well researched,its totally biased to one side of an argument and as already said some of their arguments are extremely thin.This will be the usual RTE style of kicking an organisation or individual when they are down and exagerating an issue."Blah Blah Blah a few clubs are in debt,blah blah blah a few clubs are over spending,blah blah blah the premiership in England is king".YAWN-gimmie the remote,what else is on?

How do you know this?

CuanaD
17/09/2008, 4:47 PM
In fairness Primetime is a very well researched and also well respected programme -
Really??

Do you REALLY believe that?

I'm sorry, but I believe the opposite to be true

CJTheGull
17/09/2008, 5:00 PM
Really??

Do you REALLY believe that?

I'm sorry, but I believe the opposite to be true

Well your entitled your opinion - look I am not going to get into a slagging match here about Primetime. Anytime I have seen it I have been impressed with it but I'm not here to defend the programme - as a (resonably!) well educated person I find the programme can be very informative. If you don't then, tough.

pete
17/09/2008, 5:06 PM

Crowd shots (attendance was less than 1000) & interviews (City fans) were done at the Drogs v Cork City Setanta Cup match last Monday. For anyone who watched on TV you may have noticed few guys standing on the pitch next to the goal on the left hand side. At one stage Drogs wayward short nearly hit the camera.

I expect a lot of focus on Cork City & extra FAI bashing (favourite media passtime).

pineapple stu
17/09/2008, 5:13 PM
Should we have a poll as to whether people think PrimeTime is a good programme or not?

John83
17/09/2008, 5:14 PM
What time will it be on?

alansmithccfc
17/09/2008, 5:34 PM
What time will it be on?

9.35 rte1

A face
17/09/2008, 7:38 PM
In fairness Primetime is a very well researched and also well respected programme

No way is it well researched. They have done well on some topics when they got access to good information but ask people involved in the fishing industry how alarmingly way off the mark they have got stuff wrong.

Take this as an example, they will obviously try and make it look really bad and hype up stuff and 'hood-wink' people on some issues so be prepared for that but take this as an example of their programming and see what they get right. Alot of people on here know the game well, are involved in their clubs and know the story. Analyse what they convey to the public and see for yourself how much they get right. This should put this debate to rest for another while.

They are only as good as their last programme .... would they stand over it if people got to comment on their effort? would they f**k. They get paid unbelievably well for this programming (seriously, they do very well out of this), so i wouldn't be pulling any punches if they make a dogs dinner of it.

Wouldn't agree with that, albeit I don't watch it that often. The last time they had something about the eL (Shels and Fran Gavin), the comments were awful, the presenter hadn't a notion about the issues and Fran Gavin got away without a difficult question. The couple of other times I've seen it, they probably do have a decent point to make, but you could drive a bus through the holes in some of their arguments. I expect similar on this one, to be honest.

The last time was brutal but the biggest thing i remember was Gavin, he was so so bad that night it was just not real. He agreed with points as if they were fully correct and they completely were not. He was like a rabbit caught in the head lights.

If the FAI put someone in there then they need to be strong. The Jury is still out on Gavin for me in this role anyway. He might be alright on the admin side of things, even management but so far he has been a disaster in the public domain and its the very time we need to come out fighting and put people back in their box.

The FAI shouldn't be taking any crap from anyone on Prime Time, or anyone in the media. They just roll over and die sometimes. That is never a good way to operate, especially from people who contribute absolutely nothing to the game domestically. I know people say it isn't up to the media to big up the league, and i'd agree to an extent (when its not the national broadcaster) but they does not mean that should give them free reign to go out and try and destroy it either.

TonyD
17/09/2008, 7:51 PM
True, the mainstream media in this country have by and large proven themselves to be a bunch of absolute Kunts(and I don't use that word lightly) when it comes to the league here. No amount of "Oh, we're only telling it as it is" can cover that. Take Paul Hyland(please) in the Herring. Never a word to say about the league, until he wants another stick to beat the FAI with. His piece on the league and schoolboy clubs last week was a disgrace. I think he visits this site from things he's written in the past, so Paul, if you're reading this, You are Kunt No 1.

sonofstan
17/09/2008, 11:53 PM
The depressing thing is, it'll focus on the current financial problems, contrast present poor attendances with the mythical millions in Glenmalure, Kilcohan and Flower Lodge, mention the thousand who sail (or fly) every Saturday to Anfield/ Emirates etc. and leave you wondering why even the few of us bother.

What it won't do is talk to a Drogs fan about how it felt in Kiev to be minutes away from unimaginable glory, to a Pat's fan about beating the Elfs, to a Bohs fan about how watching one of the best teams ever to grace this country every week puts a spring in your step through the week, and sends you home delirious on a friday night as we win - again, and again, and again.....

And how those feelings are - must be -a hundred times more intense that of a 'Pool or United fan after even a champions league win, because the 'us' you talk about really is 'us' - an entity you share with neighbours and friends, with the kids on the street and the oul' lads - and an 'us' that encompasses the players and manager, and the club secretary, in part at least, because none of them - not even Joe Gamble before he took his cut - is earning an unimaginable multiple of your own salary.

It's a feeling of community and a depth of passion that the media here has no problem celebrating when its attached to the GAA - and which is sometimes contrasted with the cynicism and professionalism of football, as if the premiership is football tout court. The fact that it exists right here, in Phibsboro', in Inchicore in Cork, Derry and Sligo, but attached to the same great game that RTE celebrate twice a week when it happens in 'real' places like Madrid or Liverpool, and without the small minded bigotry and thuggery of the graceless travesty that we parade as our national game, is ignored; instead, the undeniable mismanagement of the game here is rehearsed again, as if to show that we are not really worthy of having proper football teams and we'd be better off just settling down in front of the telly and watching our betters.

eamo1
17/09/2008, 11:58 PM
Well said Sonofstan,POTM.Its a speech right up there with Martin Luther,William Wallace etc:).

irishultra
18/09/2008, 12:05 AM
That was an epic post until you mentioned the l ****e about gaelic football and hurling.

niallsparky
18/09/2008, 12:07 AM
Potm!

A face
18/09/2008, 12:32 AM
The depressing thing is, it'll focus on the current financial problems, contrast present poor attendances with the mythical millions in Glenmalure, Kilcohan and Flower Lodge, mention the thousand who sail (or fly) every Saturday to Anfield/ Emirates etc. and leave you wondering why even the few of us bother.

You asking for balance ...... and you think you'll get it?

to a Bohs fan about how watching one of the best teams ever to grace this country every week puts a spring in your step through the week

Ok, you've lost the run of yourself there now like. City in 2004 was a far better team, Shels just before it, maybe the Bohs team before that, notable mention, the Pats team before that. (no Rovers dont get a mention :p )

and sends you home delirious on a friday night as we win - again, and again, and again.....

Enjoy it while it last fella. If thats one think about the LOI, its always got competition. It aint a Kilkenny and others to make up the numbers league at all.

And how those feelings are - must be -a hundred times more intense that of a 'Pool or United fan after even a champions league win, because the 'us' you talk about really is 'us' - an entity you share with neighbours and friends, with the kids on the street and the oul' lads - and an 'us' that encompasses the players and manager, and the club secretary, in part at least, because none of them - not even Joe Gamble before he took his cut - is earning an unimaginable multiple of your own salary.

Ambition and belief from the general public, media and government? You've been drinking right?

It's a feeling of community and a depth of passion that the media here has no problem celebrating when its attached to the GAA - and which is sometimes contrasted with the cynicism and professionalism of football, as if the premiership is football tout court. The fact that it exists right here, in Phibsboro', in Inchicore in Cork, Derry and Sligo, but attached to the same great game that RTE celebrate twice a week when it happens in 'real' places like Madrid or Liverpool, and without the small minded bigotry and thuggery of the graceless travesty that we parade as our national game, is ignored; instead, the undeniable mismanagement of the game here is rehearsed again, as if to show that we are not really worthy of having proper football teams and we'd be better off just settling down in front of the telly and watching our betters.

As if we are a lesser? If the media keep telling people that then they'll never have the capacity to believe in it. Well they haven't up until now.

sonofstan
18/09/2008, 12:41 AM
You've been drinking right?

:D

Its a speech right up there with Martin Luther

The lesser known 'I have a team' speech?

Straightstory
18/09/2008, 7:14 AM
Well said indeed - and quite right about the GAA.

Salmon Coloured
18/09/2008, 8:42 AM
Quality & indeed POTM. I want this guy to break into the RTE studios when the Premiership programme is on on a Saturday night & waltz into the studio & stop everything & break into that speech. Now THAT would be primetime television!!!!!!!!!!!

CuanaD
18/09/2008, 10:58 AM
Quality & indeed POTM. I want this guy to break into the RTE studios when the Premiership programme is on on a Saturday night & waltz into the studio & stop everything & break into that speech. Now THAT would be primetime television!!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLY

now thats community TV worth paying the licence fee!

brianw82
18/09/2008, 11:20 AM
Can we all ring in to liveline the day after?

A face
18/09/2008, 11:25 AM

FINALLY

now thats community TV worth paying the licence fee!

sonofstan .... that is your mission should you choose to accept it. May the force be with you !! ;)

amaccann
18/09/2008, 12:11 PM
So did anyone actually watch it?

Titan
18/09/2008, 12:13 PM
Its on tonight at 9:35 not last night

amaccann
18/09/2008, 12:22 PM
Its on tonight at 9:35 not last night
Ahem. I knew that! Just testing you know :D
*whistles*

passerrby
18/09/2008, 1:05 PM
have being saying this for a long time the league needs its own press officer someone to fight back not some fai suit who spends there time with trap and co and not fran (the ham) as he never defends the league (is he fintan duary in disguise)

A face
18/09/2008, 8:27 PM
Can someone record this tonight and put it up online later if possible?

sonofstan
18/09/2008, 8:29 PM
Can someone record this tonight and put it up online later if possible?

It'll be on the rte site straight away i think.

Inside Man
18/09/2008, 8:30 PM
Is it on now?

thischarmingman
18/09/2008, 8:36 PM
Yup, it's 2nd or 3rd item.

Rovers Maniac
18/09/2008, 8:47 PM
It's a joy to watch Miriam license fee well worth it, roof roof (down boy)

thischarmingman
18/09/2008, 8:58 PM
Last chance bump. On any minute now.

KianD
18/09/2008, 9:03 PM
On now. Not sure they're right claiming the crowd is the same at a Setanta Cup game as a League game

Why is a dance version of Adagio for Strings being played in United Park?

oldyouth
18/09/2008, 9:11 PM
Nothing new

Saint_Charlie
18/09/2008, 9:11 PM
Ground breaking stuff there

irishultra
18/09/2008, 9:13 PM
really makes you think, doesn't it?

thischarmingman
18/09/2008, 9:15 PM
For me the whole Irish barstooler mentality and the Irish sporting public's relationship with the EPL are key issues and they were totally overlooked.

In depth my hole.

Mr_Parker
18/09/2008, 9:17 PM
It smacked of written, directed and produced by P1.

Can't believe some of the things Reynolds from Glentoran said. There he was talking about how all the IL grounds belong in the last century when not only is his own club about to announce their new 10,000 seater stadium but with many grounds well on their way to surpass such 'last century' grounds. He also mentioned the combined debt of IL clubs being 1.75 million iirc. What he failed to mention is that £1 million of that is his own clubs. All he can see is an AIL being a saviour in the short term for his club and not what is good for football across the island in the long term.

irishultra
18/09/2008, 9:18 PM
I have to say those clips made the LOI very enticing to be honest. if i was a barstooler I would have definetly taken my fat ass off my fatboy for a couple of seconds to check out loi matches on this weekend.

sonofstan
18/09/2008, 9:19 PM
In depth my hole.

Not a good image summoned up there....

About the only coherent thing I thought watching that was 'I wish we had a CEO as media savvy as Richard Sadlier': or even a CEO......

finnpark
18/09/2008, 9:22 PM
For me the whole Irish barstooler mentality and the Irish sporting public's relationship with the EPL are key issues and they were totally overlooked.

In depth my hole.

But the fact is that the FAI's relationship with the media is horrible and as long as the FAI are in charge of marketing the league it will continue to "exist" in its basic form which is club by club surviving.

The FAI have no control over the media which is the fundamental problem. If the media hate the FAI how do we ever expect to make an impact? Its not going to happen.

I would just like to know what is the FAI's plan and vision for the league. They should say what their ambitions are because at present its not moving forward at 100kmp - it os crawling.