PDA

View Full Version : Chris McCann (D/M Shams b.1987)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

youngirish
17/09/2008, 10:18 AM
By all accounts young Chris McCann is having a great start to the season at Burnley. Only just 21, he has been easily one of Ireland's most impressive performers in the Championship thus far (perhaps only second to Doyle) and has played in every minute of every league game and scored a goal in the cup.

If he continues to perform in this manner there is a real possibility that Burnley will lose him to a Premiership club in the January transfer window. This would mean he could be a real option for Ireland in some of the later qualifiers in what is a problem position for us (central midfield), so it's worth keeping an eye on him.

Personally I think it would be criminal if he wasn't called into the senior squad in the future because he fell out with the tactically retarded Don Givens at U21 level.

Anyway here's what the Burnley fans think of him:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2128356995

Claret Murph
17/09/2008, 10:37 AM
A lot has been said this season so far and he is improving every game , I have only seen him once this season and he looked quite good even thou I was told it wasn't one of his better games . A lot of talk if Burnley will be able to keep hold of him come January as he will have scored 6 or 7 goals by that time . Now as for Givens we all know the score but I would love Trap to have a look at him I would very much love to see him called up for the Poland game if only to be with the squad , the lad has a big future i would say .:)

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 11:03 AM
I am happy for Trap to make a call on these things I must say. I would not have called up Glenn Whelan to start the two games and he has gone on to prove a lot of us wrong, some more than others. So to paraphrase the Arsenal fans.

In Trap we trust.

youngirish
17/09/2008, 11:18 AM
Very promising for the future but "future" being the keyword. There's no reason for him to be called up this campaign, he's not ready.

Come 2010 though the likes of McCann, Gibson and Garvan should be looked at.

If McCann does continue his fine start to the season and gets a move to the Premiership then Trap will almost certainly have a look at him as long as there's no hangover from the Don Givens incident. We are hardly blessed with Premiership quality central midfielders (even Whelan is only Championship quality imo) and it would be unwise to overlook a decent one.

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 11:24 AM
All of these players should be looked at and then Trap should make a judgement call. I am off the view that Trap knows way more about the game than I or anybody else on this forum does, so I am happy with his call.

Claret Murph
17/09/2008, 11:46 AM
Now if he was to catch a game I would say Reading v Burnley on the 4th Oct would be quite interesting for him with more than one egg in the basket so to say .

ifk101
17/09/2008, 12:35 PM
I can't see Trapattoni calling up any new faces (ie players that haven't featured in any of his squads to date) between now and the end of the WC qualifiers.

shakermaker1982
17/09/2008, 12:45 PM
Now if he was to catch a game I would say Reading v Burnley on the 4th Oct would be quite interesting for him with more than one egg in the basket so to say .

Didn't he say he hasn't been to any games over in England? Not trying to stir anything up but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

ifk101
17/09/2008, 1:08 PM
Didn't he say he hasn't been to any games over in England? Not trying to stir anything up but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

Stir up what? :D

And yes he was at a match in England. Colombia were playing.

youngirish
17/09/2008, 2:11 PM
I can't see Trapattoni calling up any new faces (ie players that haven't featured in any of his squads to date) between now and the end of the WC qualifiers.

With over a year to go that would be a foolish strategy more at home in the Steve Staunton school of management.

Surely he needs to play the best players at his disposal (albeit that fit into his system) . I would hope Garvan, McCann, St Ledger and O'Dea would all get a lookin at some stage before the qualifiers finish.

Let's be honest it's not like we currently have a team of world beaters now anyway. A 0-0 draw against Montenegro is not world cup qualification form whatever people like to believe at the moment. Kerr got far better results than that.

We need to improve to qualify and one of the main ingredients needed for improvement is new faces.

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 2:21 PM
With over a year to go that would be a foolish strategy more at home in the Steve Staunton school of management.

Surely he needs to play the best players at his disposal (albeit that fit into his system) . I would hope Garvan, McCann, St Ledger and O'Dea would all get a lookin at some stage before the qualifiers finish.

Let's be honest it's not like we currently have a team of world beaters now anyway. A 0-0 draw against Montenegro is not world cup qualification form whatever people like to believe at the moment. Kerr got far better results than that.

We need to imporve to qualify one of the main ingredients needed for improvement is new faces.

Just one thing. I would say that Montenegro were better than any team that Kerr's teams beat away from home in a competitive match.

Georgia and Cyprus were not better.

youngirish
17/09/2008, 2:31 PM
Just one thing. I would say that Montenegro were better than any team that Kerr's teams beat away from home in a competitive match.

Georgia and Cyprus were not better.

True but we didn't beat them. We should have went for it as they didn't look too good to me but we seemed happy to take the point.

Kerr drew with the French, Swiss and Israelis away who are all significantly better teams than Montenegro who looked to be average at their best moments and poor the rest of the time if we are really going to be honest.

Last week was a missed opportunity that may well come back to haunt us.

geysir
17/09/2008, 2:34 PM
Montenegro are better than Georgia and Albania were then.

AFAIR we were never that comfortable against both of them away.

The last comfortable away result we had was against Estonia (not counting the Faroes).

ifk101
17/09/2008, 3:24 PM

We need to improve to qualify and one of the main ingredients needed for improvement is new faces.

No. Choping and changing the side without building a team is the Steve Staunton school of management.

Our players will thrive in the knowledge that they have their manager's loyalty and trust.

Claret Murph
17/09/2008, 3:30 PM
We are going to get injuries , players suspended and even a dead grannies no doubt , so why not have a few of these lads in for the Poland game , that's what I am saying as we will have to brood them at some stage if things get bad on the points that I have made .

ifk101
17/09/2008, 3:36 PM
We are going to get injuries , players suspended and even a dead grannies no doubt , so why not have a few of these lads in for the Poland game , that's what I am saying as we will have to brood them at some stage if things get bad on the points that I have made .

Yes - but we only made 3 subs in the recent matches against Georgia and Montenegro. Players that were in the squad for those games will get their run out in the Poland friendly.

Razors left peg
17/09/2008, 4:08 PM
The Poland game would be a great chance for him to have a look at a couple of new faces but wouldnt think it would be very many unless there are alot of withdrawals

Stuttgart88
17/09/2008, 4:15 PM
I keep forgetting about McCann.

McCann, Garvan, JJ O'Toole, Stephen Quinn, Gibson are really interesting prospects. I already think Garvan is beyond "prospect". Who else is there - am I missing anyone?

Razors left peg
17/09/2008, 4:40 PM

McCann, Garvan, JJ O'Toole, Stephen Quinn, Gibson are really interesting prospects. I already think Garvan is beyond "prospect". Who else is there - am I missing anyone?

Jamie Mc Carthy

ifk101
17/09/2008, 4:41 PM

There's a good prospect at my local club here in Sweden. He's not Irish as such - but he's a good Catholic lad.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2008, 11:36 AM
Jamie Mc Carthy
Of course, thanks. I knew I was missing someone important!

youngirish
24/09/2008, 12:44 PM
McCann was again in impressive form for the Clarets last night in their win over Premiership Fulham. Player ratings here by the Burnley fans:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2128290199

tetsujin1979
24/09/2008, 1:47 PM
That's a bit odd, he's not as highly rated on the Sky Sports fan ratings: http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3060512,00.html

tetsujin1979
24/09/2008, 1:49 PM
I cut the comments on McCann from the link youngirish posted

My airwaves man of the match goes to McCann.
McCann 8 - a dominating display from a class midfield player.
McCann 8 - excellent
McCann - 8 - Good game
McCann 7
McCann - 8 MOM - Quality again, lads gonna be a good un. Should have scored with that header.
McCann 7 - in and out, missed our best chance
McCann just gets better and better can't wait for saturday.
McCann...8...another fine performance from Chris and just needs a bit of composure when presented with free headers with only the keeper to beat.
McCann 8 - Influential. Couple of good efforts first half. Dominant in the tackle.
Gudjonsson 7 - Lots of running. Would rather see him sit a bit deeper and let McCann be the attacking option though.
McCann 7 - Another good game tonight but should have finished the game with at least one goal.
McCann 7 - Maybe should have scored, but looked sharp
McCann (8) - Simply majestic.
McCann 7 Looked good at times but got caught in possession a few times. Two good chances to score - should have done better with his header
McCann 8 Real engine room game and got into several scoring positions too - another day he'd bagged two or three
McCann 7 solid and workmanlike
McCann 7 - good effort.
McCann 9 - Dominating display
McCann 6 - got into some good positions, finishing let him down
McCann 7 - Excellent
McCann 7 - ok generally but missed a couple of good chances
McCann - 8 - Super first half, less dominant second. Should have scored, but it says something that he was our most likely marksman until Jay intervened.
McCann - 8. Quality again. Up and down the pitch for the full 90 mins and looked the most likely to open the scoring all night.
McCann 8 - nothing outstanding but looked a better player than any of their midfield on the night.
McCann 8
McCann - 9 - Excellent again. Looked like a premiership midfielder against some decent opposition.
McCann 7 - Could have got a hatrick but i'd rather see him stick a strong foot in which he seems to have added a bit of to his game.
McCann 7 - loses a mark for missing that header because in his current form that should be hitting the newt, otherwise very good.
Paterson 9 - never gave the defenders a moment's rest. Like McCann, should have taken his chance in the 1st half. Otherwise, another excellent performance
McCann 7
McCann - 9 MOM - seemed to be everywhere
McCann 9
McCann 8- Keep it up.

tetsujin1979
24/09/2008, 8:16 PM
From http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4189566,00.html

While Rodriguez took the plaudits for his goal, it was Dublin-born McCann's performance that took the manager's eye.

Coyle said: "Chris was outstanding. I believe he is good enough to play in the Premier League now. He has just got to keep doing it week in, week out.

"He has a lot of energy and he created three or four opportunities against a Premier League side full of good players.

third policeman
24/09/2008, 8:49 PM
Dont understand why the likes of Miller, Bruce, McShane (and even Whelan) are in the squad when we have better players with something to offer for the long term like McCann, Garvan, O'Toole, McCarthy, Walters, St Ledger being overlooked. Has Trap or Tardelli or Brady bothered looking at any of these players. If by some chance we qualify for South Africa I think we will regret not having integrated players who I believe will be playing in the premiership before long.

youngirish
24/09/2008, 10:35 PM
Dont understand why the likes of Miller, Bruce, McShane (and even Whelan) are in the squad when we have better players with something to offer for the long term like McCann, Garvan, O'Toole, McCarthy, Walters, St Ledger being overlooked. Has Trap or Tardelli or Brady bothered looking at any of these players. If by some chance we qualify for South Africa I think we will regret not having integrated players who I believe will be playing in the premiership before long.

I agree 100%. It seems the average poster on here is far more clued up on who the promising young players are and who the journeymen no hopers are than Trap, Brady and certainly Stan ever were or will be.

jbyrne
26/09/2008, 1:47 PM
selection is a matter of opinion. if hes good enough his time will come. wouldnt argue with trapps selections to date

cheifo
27/09/2008, 12:35 AM
I have wondered if McCann would develop his game to the point where he could be looked upon as a credible candidate for our midfield.

Judging from his reviews you get the impression he still has to work at aspects of his game but is def getting better as he matures.

drummerboy
27/09/2008, 10:08 AM
selection is a matter of opinion. if hes good enough his time will come. wouldnt argue with trapps selections to date

Unfortunately Givens has the ear of Trap, so don't expect to see McCann anywhere near an Irish panel while this happens.

tetsujin1979
27/09/2008, 3:15 PM
Unfortunately Givens has the ear of Trap, so don't expect to see McCann anywhere near an Irish panel while this happens.
While there's no doubting McCann's talent, there are still only a limited number of places in the squad. All of Trapattoni's squads have had a 2 players for each position, so 4 central midfielders. If the likes of McCarthy, O'Toole, Gibson and Garvan continue to prosper and appear in squads at underage levels, it's going to be harder for McCann to get his chance. From the last squad Steven Reid is 27, Whelan is 24, Andy Reid is 26 and Liam Miller is 27. All can be expected to form part of the squad for the next 4-6 years minimum. Barring injury and suspension I'd suspect only Miller's place is up for grabs.

Carrigaline
27/09/2008, 3:41 PM
Dont understand why the likes of Miller, Bruce, McShane (and even Whelan) are in the squad when we have better players with something to offer for the long term like McCann, Garvan, O'Toole, McCarthy, Walters, St Ledger being overlooked.
The only player I agree with you is Alex Bruce.

Chris McCann/Owen Garvan/John Joe O'Toole look like a talent and are doing well for themselves, but they really needs to get himself a top flight club if they want to compete with Glenn Whelan, the Reid's or Liam Miller.

James McCarthy is still a kid, let him prove himself in the SPL and under-21's before he gets called up to the senior squad.

Jon Walters is 25, still playing in the Championship and is not good enough.

St. Ledger has never played a game in the Premier League, until he does, I would take the likes of O'Shea or McShane.

Qwerty
27/09/2008, 4:11 PM
While there's no doubting McCann's talent, there are still only a limited number of places in the squad. All of Trapattoni's squads have had a 2 players for each position, so 4 central midfielders. If the likes of McCarthy, O'Toole, Gibson and Garvan continue to prosper and appear in squads at underage levels, it's going to be harder for McCann to get his chance. From the last squad Steven Reid is 27, Whelan is 24, Andy Reid is 26 and Liam Miller is 27. All can be expected to form part of the squad for the next 4-6 years minimum. Barring injury and suspension I'd suspect only Miller's place is up for grabs.

I wouldn't be so sure, Steven Reid appears to be out for the Cyprus qualifier and he will miss lots more games as he is so injury prone. Miller, Reid and Whelan are not playing 1st team football. Trapp has already made his position pretty clear on Reid and I can't imagine he really sees much in Miller but he has given him enough starts to suggest he sees something.

youngirish
27/09/2008, 5:23 PM
Bunrley fans again raving about McCann's performance today against Preston. Considering he's only just turned 21 surely it's only a matter of time before he gets a move to the Premiership if (and this is the if) he continues this form until January. Link here:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2128250654

cheifo
28/09/2008, 7:05 PM
Bunrley fans again raving about McCann's performance today against Preston. Considering he's only just turned 21 surely it's only a matter of time before he gets a move to the Premiership if (and this is the if) he continues this form until January. Link here:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2128250654

My goodness, they are raving about him.Garvan and McCann our future super midifeld, wih McCarthy to come on as sub.

Please God don't let the following happpen, a)Don Givens makes him quit the Int scene B)He develops a drink/psychological problem c)Awful injury or gets over sensitive about his bonce.

FarBeag
28/09/2008, 9:52 PM
Nice comments from the Burnley fans. Could he be our next Roy Keane I wonder?

drummerboy
29/09/2008, 8:03 AM
And to think UCD turned him down for a scholarship

Claret Murph
29/09/2008, 12:24 PM

Bye any chance are you a Claret youngirish;):):D

OwlsFan
29/09/2008, 12:39 PM
My goodness, they are raving about him.Garvan and McCann our future super midifeld, wih McCarthy to come on as sub.

Unless Garvan has been injured, he hasn't been in the Ipswich side recently. Came on as a sub yesterday. Not a good sign.

eirebhoy
29/09/2008, 4:51 PM
This is what Coyle said last season:

“I don’t want to heap pressure on him, but in his position and at his age, I’m not sure I’ve seen a better player. Chris has been immense since I came in and I think he’s going to be a top player who will play at the highest level.”

Claret Murph
30/09/2008, 6:51 AM
I think Chris made a comment at the start of the season and said " it's time time to drop the young lad tag , now is the time to step up to the plate " .:)

Sligo Hornet
30/09/2008, 6:54 AM
I think Chris made a comment at the start of the season and said " it's time time to drop the young lad tag , now is the time to step up to the plate " .:)

He's got a very easy "plate" to deal with tonight Murph:o

Claret Murph
30/09/2008, 12:17 PM
He's got a very easy "plate" to deal with tonight Murph:o

I tell you Hornet it will be a lot closer than you think :ball:

DmanDmythDledge
30/09/2008, 2:56 PM
And to think UCD turned him down for a scholarship
:( :eek:

Claret Murph
01/10/2008, 6:26 AM
3-2 Hornet , I told you it was going to be close .........:)

Sligo Hornet
01/10/2008, 6:29 AM
3-2 Hornet , I told you it was going to be close .........:)

So it turned out....well done to your boys!

NeilMcD
07/10/2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccann-has-earned-irish-call-1491633.html

OwlsFan
07/10/2008, 1:08 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccann-has-earned-irish-call-1491633.html

Yep, nice to see someone plus his manager eager to represent his country for a change.

tommy_c12000
08/11/2008, 9:32 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/rising-star-1528869.html

Today's independent

drummerboy
08/11/2008, 10:27 AM
Great article. Failed to mention that he wasnt rated by UCD either. He went there for trails for the scholarship but wasn't selected.