View Full Version : Awful, unplesant, the pits of a performance.

29/09/2003, 7:38 PM
The wheels have come off the Kildare wagon. Losing to Galway at home 0-2, we should account for teams like this if we think we can live in the premier and they had their minds on the cup semi. I've been suffering from Kildare County depression for the last few days. We wouldn't win a game of marbles now.
Harps are going to trash us on Friday.
From what I heard on the street is their is a massive war between Hannigan and some team players.

The sad thing about the situation is if County went the extra mile, we could be topping the league now. Where as now we are one of the worst teams in the division.

I just hope this is not the begining of the end.

LFC in Exile
06/10/2003, 10:53 AM
The Blues are gonna get you!!

:) :)

I thought you said John Gill knew nothing about football. :)

Roll on the play-off for the play-off in the Pike on Nov 30.

07/10/2003, 5:58 PM
Originally posted by LFC in Exile
The Blues are gonna get you!!

:) :)

I thought you said John Gill knew nothing about football. :)

Roll on the play-off for the play-off in the Pike on Nov 30.

Far from it the guy has his ear to the ground.:)

We should be well down the table by then.

We have even less players than Limerick now.:rolleyes:

07/10/2003, 9:40 PM
United overturn Kildare to continue winning streak

Kildare County 0 Galway United 2

Following this smashing Station Road victory only 10 points separate Galway United from a play-off berth in the National League first division campaign.

Kildare, who had not been overturned in Newbridge prior to last
Saturday’s reversal, were surprisingly outwitted by a vibrant United display when United’s key players assumed responsibility and played with real conviction.

Splendid goals from strikers Alan Murphy and Barry Moran ensured
Kildare were unable to post a third victory over Tony Mannion’s side.
Had the Tribesemen not managed such a favourable result, their league challenge would have been destroyed.

Despite the gap that still needs to be bridged, the three points bagged in Newbridge could well prove vital in the race for promotion. Barry Moran, who led the line so bravely in the
Showgrounds, was extremely prominent against the Thoroughbreds and it came as no great surprise when the
rampant Galwegians assumed the lead after only 10 minutes. Skipper Mark Herrick threaded a pinpoint pass to Moran who controlled well before slipping home a tonic lead goal.

Little was seen of Kildare’s much vaunted attack, such was the vice-like grip of Herrick and the elegant Frannie Carter in the centre of the park.

Though Philly Hughes and Ray Scully squandered opportunities after the restart, the decisive moment arrived 20 minutes
later. Murphy’s dash illuminated the evening and he was rewarded with goal number 24 this season. Mixie Harty, so
impressive in recent weeks, returned to right full duties and played a crucial role in fashioning United’s second goal.

A neat through ball released the ebullient Murphy who showed his skill and composure before finishing cutely past Danny O’Leary.
Having missed the midweek draw in Sligo due to flu, Murphy proved what an elusive presence he offers the side.

The combative central defensive axis of Nigel Keady and Kieran Foley dealt admirably with the questions posed by Kildare who grew increasingly frustrated at United’s general dominance
throughout the pitch.

Such was the excellence of the United approach that a third goal seemed likely. A majestic cameo which featured the immense
Herrick and Folan nearly culminated in another Murphy goal, while on the cusp of full time the livewire Folan went close following a spellbinding dribble.

07/10/2003, 9:50 PM
United hand out lesson to County

Kildare County 0 Galway United 2

IT was a week that started with so much promise.

Busy yes, but if all went to plan, each of Kildare County’s three fixtures should have been straightforward. Nine points and a gap would be opened at the head of the first division.

With that, the only worry appeared to be the Uefa Licensing laws that will soon be introduced. Last season in Scotland’s First Division, Falkirk ran out winners but were refused promotion because their ground didn’t meet the required capacity of 10,000 seats. That’s a target Fran Rooney believes will be met by every club in a 16-team Premier League within 10 years.

That seems a bit away now for the Thoroughbred. When the final whistle went on Saturday night, heads were beginning to turn, and glances at the chasing pack had turned to a cold, hard stare.

The players have lacked conviction recently, seem-ingly drained of confidence. The positioning of Damien Brennan in midfield and Matt Britton on the right flank of a stuttering defence didn’t help against Galway. It was a back four the visitors had the measure of from kick-off.

Alan Murphy had a ninth minute shot tipped over by Danny O’Leary but within 60 seconds he had been beaten. Mark Herrick’s clever pass left Barry Moran in space and the number nine easily found the net. A groan went up around the ground, more out of annoyance than surprise.

United continued to surge forward and Tony Folan had a free from distance well stopped. At the other end there were chances too but the finishing fell in sync with the general performance.

Ritchie Purdy released Barry O’Connor on 20 minutes but his mis-timed effort was well over Robert Forde’s crossbar. He had an even better chance seven minutes later but couldn’t direct his header into the gaping net. Instead, the ball fell between Phillip Hughes and Alan Kelly but each got in the others way just six yards from the goal line.

As the half progressed, County improved but would rue missed chances. With the interval approaching Hughes brilliantly controlled a Brennan cross but was guilty of another horrific close-range blunder.

Herrick attempted to add another assist as Murphy went close to extending his lead in the goal scoring charts. He did on 65 minutes.

Michael Harty found the year’s forward sensation, who turned past Purdy before beating the unfortu-nate O’Leary who got a reasonable hand to the ball.

The alarm bells suddenly woke the home side, but they had already slept in. Britton’s quick thinking allowed Kelly to join the list of those who should have scored. Substitute John Ryan was denied by Forde and even when he was beaten the post came to the visitors’ rescue, O’Connor’s 86th minute effort bouncing to safety.

O’Leary reinforced his position as Kildare’s man of the match, denying Murphy with a handsome save late on but it didn’t matter.

Normally this is where the quotes would fit in. On Saturday, there was no explaining done.

The bubble had burst according to one man, and that was the general synopsis, as Kildare’s first real crisis appeared to begin.

Maybe it’s an over-reaction, but with an injury list as long as the number of disgruntled punters at Station Road and a trip to Ballybofey looming, things would look to be getting worse before they get better.

Kildare County: O’Leary, Britton (Ryan 71), Cronin, Purdy, Kenny, Rogers (McNevin 71), Brennan, Scully, Hughes, O’Connor, Kelly.

Galway United: Forde, Harty, Quirke, Keady, Foley, Carter, Folan, Herrick, Moran, Murphy (Geraghty 88), Lawless.

Referee: Paul Tuite.