PDA

View Full Version : Champions' League group stages

Pages : [1] 2 3

brianw82
16/09/2008, 3:30 PM
Are they the most pointless thing ever? There are very rarely any shocks - the strongest 2 teams inevitably get through. Tell the truth, did anyone REALLY think Liverpool weren't going to get through last year, even when they needed to win their last 3 games?

The whole competition is pedestrian until the quarters, then it really hots up.

16/09/2008, 5:03 PM
united came 4th in their group about 3/4 years ago. Celtic are only starting to get through,its not always the regulars. thats like sayin the WC qualifiers are pointless as its MOSTLY the same teams that end up being there anyway.

Mr Maroon
16/09/2008, 5:59 PM
The group stage is there to stretch the CL out over the season.

Cymro
16/09/2008, 7:40 PM
I feel it would be better to expand the group stages and have sides play each other just once, for example, groups of 5 or 6 instead of 4 but only play each side either home or away and not both. This will allow smaller teams a slice of the cash cake as well as providing the lower ranked teams with some similarly able opponents.

OwlsFan
17/09/2008, 9:59 AM

Tell that to Roma!

While by and large the main teams do get through, there is, like the World Cup qualifiers, the odd "shock". Smaller or perhaps better less well known clubs are entitled to their moments in the sun even if the primary object of the group stages is to make money for all concerned. It used to be knock-out all the way once upon a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

Closed Account 2
17/09/2008, 10:04 PM
Daylight robbery occured in Turin tonight!

Juve are one of the poorest "big teams" I've seen in a long time.

17/09/2008, 10:13 PM

all italian teams are. i would glady take a group with Roma,Inter,Juve and Liverpool and be confident that Pool would top it.

HarpoJoyce
17/09/2008, 10:39 PM
Tell that to Roma!

While by and large the main teams do get through, there is, like the World Cup qualifiers, the odd "shock". Smaller or perhaps better less well known clubs are entitled to their moments in the sun even if the primary object of the group stages is to make money for all concerned. It used to be knock-out all the way once upon a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

Sometimes the Dinosaurs of (CF?) Real Madrid and FC Barcelona played each other in the Secound Round in the early sixties 'cos real were winning the European Cup and Barcelona were domestic champions of Spain.

OwlsFan
18/09/2008, 9:08 AM
Saw Arsene Wenger moaning at the referee at the end of the game last night. Does he never give up whinging :rolleyes: Decisions balance themselves out over the season. Pathetic. Goal in the last couple of minutes saved a point for them as well.

Mostly watched the Celtic game. Boy (bhoy), is that Samaras infuriating with his poor first touch. Gives the ball away so often. Surprised he stayed on. McGeady only came off the subs' bench and put in a few decent crosses. Never really dominated the game even though the commentators expected a cake walk. Saw bits and bobs of Man U who seemed unlucky not to get at least one peno. All to play for in that group.

So the groups may not be as straight forward as the original poster thought.

geysir
18/09/2008, 10:04 AM
Mostly watched the Celtic game. Boy (bhoy), is that Samaras infuriating with his poor first touch. Gives the ball away so often. Surprised he stayed on. McGeady only came off the subs' bench and put in a few decent crosses. Never really dominated the game even though the commentators expected a cake walk.
And I was surprised how much Samaras's touch had improved :D
Seriously, I thought overall he was well involved or thereabouts.
The wee lad beside him was out of touch.
Maloney did well enough, sometimes you'd wish he would decide what he was going to do instead of falling over himself doing a breakdance.

If only McGeady had the body of Andy Reid and vice versa.

shakermaker1982
18/09/2008, 10:11 AM
Man Utd looked a different beast when Ronaldo came on. Thank God he's back for Sunday. Johny Evans got a run out and didn't put a foot wrong.

I think the Champions League format needs changing. Too many teams from the same country, Liege champions of Belgium are playing in the Uefa Cup. Sad really.

OwlsFan
18/09/2008, 12:10 PM
And I was surprised how much Samaras's touch had improved :D

Doctors differ: patients die ;). He was involved a lot ok but nearly everything he tried usually ended up with him holding his head in his hands.
Maloney - a slightly upmarket version of Connolly or Elliott but was let go by Villa for good reason: he's not very good. I would still have kept him on instead of the Greek. Robson (the penalty aside) was very involved and thought he was the most effective player on the pitch.

Lionel Ritchie
18/09/2008, 12:34 PM
Watched the Celtic match. Thought they were fairly one dimensional even if clearly the better side.

Shocking mistake by the linesman ruling Nakamura offside for what should've been a perfectly legit goal.

OwlsFan
18/09/2008, 12:41 PM
Watched the Celtic match. Thought they were fairly one dimensional even if clearly the better side.

Shocking mistake by the linesman ruling Nakamura offside for what should've been a perfectly legit goal.

Most of the offside decisions were correct to be fair. However, what about the ref sending off the wrong man? The Danes will appeal and he'll get off a suspension and the guilty party won't be punished either I assume.

geysir
18/09/2008, 3:43 PM
Most of the offside decisions were correct, the big offside decision wasn't.
For the Celtic goal, Brown was not offside.
But it was close enough for an official to think he was.

old git
18/09/2008, 4:13 PM
Doctors differ: patients die ;). He was involved a lot ok but nearly everything he tried usually ended up with him holding his head in his hands.
Maloney - a slightly upmarket version of Connolly or Elliott but was let go by Villa for good reason: he's not very good. I would still have kept him on instead of the Greek. Robson (the penalty aside) was very involved and thought he was the most effective player on the pitch.

missed first half of match ... did nakamura start .. if so surely he would be no 1 penalty taker or is it to easy from 12 yards for him :D

geysir
18/09/2008, 4:30 PM
Nakamura started and afaic he was good, at times his sublime touches were a light year ahead of anybody else there.
I think he missed a penalty once and hasn't taken one since.

Mr Maroon
18/09/2008, 8:03 PM

:confused: Juve aren't up to much (well, anything) this year on a European scale but they were the better team against Zenit without a doubt. The winning goal was an absolute screamer aswell.

all italian teams are. i would glady take a group with Roma,Inter,Juve and Liverpool and be confident that Pool would top it.
I actually fancy Fiorentina to do the best out of the 4. Roma are shocking, Juve and Inter don't convince me.

eirebhoy
18/09/2008, 8:05 PM

1st half they were terrible with tactics clearly to try and get the ball over the top of AAB defence. That got changed at half time and I think they deserved to win by 1 or 2. Brown's goal was definitely legit.

Naka was supposed to be penalty taker for the Rangers game btw. Robson wouldn't let go of the ball. :)

I'm not a Robson fan tbh. Stephen Hunt type player. Limited but puts in so much effort. Brown and Crosas will get a run of games in midfield now. Looking forward to seeing those 2 in midfield with Naka, Maloney and/or McGeady attacking. Some potential there!

DmanDmythDledge
18/09/2008, 10:19 PM
I think the Champions League format needs changing. Too many teams from the same country, Liege champions of Belgium are playing in the Uefa Cup. Sad really.
There will be some sort of a change in the qualifying rounds. It will be divided between league champions and teams that finished 2nd/3rd/4th in their domestic leagues. Something like that anyway.

sligo23
19/09/2008, 8:17 PM
Saw Arsene Wenger moaning at the referee at the end of the game last night. Does he never give up whinging :rolleyes: Decisions balance themselves out over the season. Pathetic. Goal in the last couple of minutes saved a point for them as well.

Mostly watched the Celtic game. Boy (bhoy), is that Samaras infuriating with his poor first touch. Gives the ball away so often. Surprised he stayed on. McGeady only came off the subs' bench and put in a few decent crosses. Never really dominated the game even though the commentators expected a cake walk. Saw bits and bobs of Man U who seemed unlucky not to get at least one peno. All to play for in that group.

So the groups may not be as straight forward as the original poster thought.
am i the only one that thinks that was offside??

OwlsFan
01/10/2008, 8:51 AM
I thought Celtic were unlucky not to come away with a point last night but they have an away record that's even worse than Ireland's. The crucial miss was by Samaras just before half time when he was one on one with the keeper. McGeady had one of his better games.

Schumi
01/10/2008, 10:44 AM
I thought Celtic were unlucky not to come away with a point last nightI didn't see the whole game but it looked to me that Villareal were well on top.

OwlsFan
01/10/2008, 2:27 PM
Villareal had much of the game ok but Celtic were looking good for a point until they gave away one free kick too many outside the box.

Football MaD
01/10/2008, 8:32 PM
There will be some sort of a change in the qualifying rounds. It will be divided between league champions and teams that finished 2nd/3rd/4th in their domestic leagues. Something like that anyway.
But whats the point,the lower teams wont even get out of the group stages. Champions league is for the best teams in europe. The lower teams would have a better chance at the uefa cup.

Football MaD
01/10/2008, 8:35 PM
Liverpool 3-1 PSV. Was all one way traffic really, didnt make it a very enjoyable match. Keane finally got his 1st goal.

holidaysong
01/10/2008, 9:33 PM
Anorthosis Famagusta win against a Greek side again tonight! :eek:

OwlsFan
02/10/2008, 2:41 PM
Anorthosis Famagusta win against a Greek side again tonight! :eek:

..and Chelsea get held by a team whose name I can't pronounce. Watching Chelsea is like watching paint dry. Sooooooo boring.

brianw82
03/10/2008, 3:11 AM
Liverpool 3-1 PSV. Was all one way traffic really, didnt make it a very enjoyable match. Keane finally got his 1st goal.

Predictable, boring games like this are what I'm referring to.

Occasionally you have a team like Cluj that comes along and makes it interesting, but not often enough.

OwlsFan
03/10/2008, 8:26 AM
Predictable, boring games like this are what I'm referring to.

Occasionally you have a team like Cluj that comes along and makes it interesting, but not often enough.

But it's true of most qualifying stages, including the World Cup where by and large the top two seeds go through. Doesn't mean the "minnows" shouldn't be given their chance since occasionally they will succeed.

gustavo
15/10/2008, 4:13 PM
I'd say Dunphy and co will be salivating over Aguero next week as if he's some unknown talent thats just come to everyones attention

jmurphyc
15/10/2008, 4:17 PM
I'd say Dunphy and co will be salivating over Aguero next week as if he's some unknown talent thats just come to everyones attention

I thought Dunphy didn't rate him, no? I could be confusing him with Bojan though, as I know Dunphy definitely doesn't like him (even though he's only just turned 18). Either way, before the game Aguero will be s**t/the best player in the world and after the game he'll be the best player in the world/unable to get into the Ireland squad.

gustavo
16/10/2008, 10:07 AM
I thought Dunphy didn't rate him, no? I could be confusing him with Bojan though, as I know Dunphy definitely doesn't like him (even though he's only just turned 18). Either way, before the game Aguero will be s**t/the best player in the world and after the game he'll be the best player in the world/unable to get into the Ireland squad.
Yea he was bad mouthing Bojan as a "nothing player" last season on the basis of one game , saying he wasnt strong enough , despite him only gone 17 at the time

hunt4the
22/10/2008, 10:53 AM
whats the banker tonight lads???

Atletico Madrid v Liverpool
Basle v Barcelona
Bordeaux v CFR Cluj-Napoca
Chelsea v Roma
Inter Milan v Anorthosis Famagusta
Panathinaikos v Werder Bremen
PSV v Marseille
Shakhtar Donetsk v Sporting

atletico 6/4
Barca 4/9
Cluj 15/4
Chlsea 4/9
Inter 1/6
Pana 9/5
PSV 7/5
Donetsk evens

Im goin chelsea 4/9 home banker

Rambling Along
22/10/2008, 8:01 PM
Have they changed the offside rule since last week? Some terrible decisions over the last 2 days that dissallowed Athletico Madrid goal being the worst so far!

Closed Account 2
23/10/2008, 12:05 AM
Have they changed the offside rule since last week? Some terrible decisions over the last 2 days that dissallowed Athletico Madrid goal being the worst so far!

Yes and it appears that if you are called Berbatov you are immune from the offside rule.

reder
23/10/2008, 8:19 AM
The group stages should be done away with and the competition should be done knockout style.

old git
23/10/2008, 8:51 AM
Yes and it appears that if you are called Berbatov you are immune from the offside rule.

at least another 3-4 players in same situation over the last few nights
why highlight berbatov is it ure anti man utd streak :D as berbatov said in his interview he does not call the offside he plays on and leaves the decision to match officals .. 3 wrong calls by linesman in utd match as they also gave offside against rooney for goal and he was clearly on but unfortunatly it now seems to be part of the game don't think it helps with the new offside rule that nobody seems to understand :ball:

Junior
23/10/2008, 5:08 PM
The group stages should be done away with and the competition should be done knockout style.

Yes and they should rename it the European Cup;)

Rambling Along
23/10/2008, 9:07 PM

Likewise if your called Keane!

Roadend
24/10/2008, 12:28 PM

Not to forget Benayoun's clearly onside goal.........

Rambling Along
24/10/2008, 11:53 PM
Not to forget Benayoun's clearly onside goal.........

and Rooney's and Maniche's!:rolleyes:

Heliodorus
25/10/2008, 8:47 AM
Are they the most pointless thing ever? There are very rarely any shocks - the strongest 2 teams inevitably get through. Tell the truth, did anyone REALLY think Liverpool weren't going to get through last year, even when they needed to win their last 3 games?

Nothing is wrong with having groups. Whats wrong is having seeding. Thats my pet hate. You need some really hard groups - thats just not happening at the moment. Get rid of seeding (all the way through the competition but especially the group stage) and it will transform the situation and competition.

Rambling Along
04/11/2008, 8:35 PM
Have we just seen the worst decision in Champions Leaue history???:confused:......................Bullsh!t , never a peno!:mad:

Red4Eva
04/11/2008, 8:41 PM
steven gerrard is a cheat, no influence on the game at all apart cheating. atletico robbed in vicente calderon and anfield

Razors left peg
04/11/2008, 11:30 PM
beyond a ridiculous decision. If anything it was free out because Gerrard just jumped into the defender. Decisions like that really leave a bad taste

shakermaker1982
05/11/2008, 7:03 AM
Diving ******* rat. If that was Ronaldo you'd never hear the end of it.

Hibs4Ever
05/11/2008, 7:50 AM
Gerrard has a history of being a cheating c**t. Can't believe the grief the english media give Ronaldo & Drogba. They're not in this guys class of cheating

http://i33.tinypic.com/25ujlzq.jpg

Roadend
05/11/2008, 8:28 AM
beyond a ridiculous decision. If anything it was free out because Gerrard just jumped into the defender.
It definitely wasn't a peno, but for pity's sake, don't go embarrasing yourself with suggestions like this either.

Hibs4Ever
05/11/2008, 8:30 AM
It definitely wasn't a peno, but for pity's sake, don't go embarrasing yourself with suggestions like this either.

Other way around. If you don't think it should have been a free out you are embarrassing yourself