PDA

View Full Version : On The One Road

RogerMilla
16/09/2008, 3:24 PM
Lads this song was feckin magic when sung in montenegro the other night after the game. The trouble was that during the game someone would start it and then by the time everyone was singing the chorus was over , some people knew the first verse and others didnt and then the song tailed away. After the game we managed Chorus Verse Chorus and it sounded fantastic especially the second time the chorus was sung.

So I am asking everyone to learn the 1st verse and lets give this song socks on all away trips!

We're on the one road
Sharing the one load
We're on the road to God knows where
We're on the one road
It may be the wrong road
But we're together now who cares
North men, South men, comrades all
Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
We're on the one road swinging along
Singing a soldier's song

Though we've had our troubles now and then
Now is the time to make them up again
Sure aren't we all Irish anyhow
Now is the time to step together now

We're on the one road
Sharing the one load
We're on the road to God knows where
We're on the one road
It may be the wrong road
But we're together now who cares
North men, South men, comrades all
Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
We're on the one road swinging along
Singing a soldier's song

OneRedArmy
16/09/2008, 7:47 PM
Each to their own but one Wolftones song is one too many for me.

Sheridan
16/09/2008, 7:53 PM
I'm always amused that the barstool republicans who belt this one out don't realise it's a British marching/recruitment song from WWI (as should be obvious from the air and lyric.)

kingdomkerry
16/09/2008, 8:16 PM
Brilliant song. I'll be singing it Roger.

gspain
17/09/2008, 9:34 AM
I'm always amused that the barstool republicans who belt this one out don't realise it's a British marching/recruitment song from WWI (as should be obvious from the air and lyric.)

Freddi Scappaticci

Denis Donaldson

Martin McGuinness

now even the Wolfe Tones were touts. :D :D

lopez
17/09/2008, 10:20 AM
Sources?

ArdeeBhoy
17/09/2008, 10:24 AM

If so, surely it's indicative of the all-embracing strand of Irish nationalist feelings. Or should these also be wholly removed from international sport?

galwayhoop
17/09/2008, 10:31 AM
Sources?

well i couldn't find any, however this verse would contradict that opinion...

"The night is darkest just before the dawn
From dissension Ireland is reborn
Soon we´ll all united Irishmen
Make our land a nation once again"

The song could have been originally adopted from a marching tune but i don't think it has that resonance now and the wording has definitely changed - if that were true.

Personally I think it is a great tune and would be great for us to have a generally accepted song outside of olé and stand-up/come on.

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 11:07 AM
To be honest it is a great tune and in Mainz and in Pod, there were loads of great tunes that were sung and to me its the best pair of games in a long time for singing and for different songs etc. Would other people agree, that were at the games.

Newryrep
17/09/2008, 12:21 PM

The song could have been originally adopted from a marching tune but i don't think it has that resonance now and the wording has definitely changed - if that were true.

Personally I think it is a great tune and would be great for us to have a generally accepted song outside of olé and stand-up/come on.

Would agree that it is a great and appropriate tune and was refreshing to hear it in Mainz - cant comment on Pod (and cant stand the Wolfetones)

However - The F**K England scarves on sale outside the ground in Mainz were an embarassment to say the least

OneRedArmy
17/09/2008, 12:33 PM

Personally I think it is a great tune and would be great for us to have a generally accepted song outside of olé and stand-up/come on.Don't know for sure but suspect that verse may have been added by the Wolftones in the same way they butchered Woody Guthrie's American classic "This Land is Your Land".

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 1:47 PM
Would agree that it is a great and appropriate tune and was refreshing to hear it in Mainz - cant comment on Pod (and cant stand the Wolfetones)

However - The F**K England scarves on sale outside the ground in Mainz were an embarassment to say the least

Yeah I don't think many Irish bought them to be honest. It was the Germany entrepreneurs that were trying to sell them to us. I think Sligo Hornet was the only one into them though as seen on Eircom.net. !!! :)

Dotsy
17/09/2008, 5:51 PM
I thought it was brilliant in Mainz at the match (I wasn't in Pod). I can't stand the Wolfe Tones but this is a good song regardless of whether they covered it or not.

Green Tribe
17/09/2008, 6:17 PM
i agree about the fk england scarves, we don't need that. Shame on you sligo hornet ;)
best load of singing for a long time at these games. I particulary thought mainz was class!
hopefully we can keep it up, however the home game atmosphere with the going out brigade who don't make an effort

Sligo Hornet
17/09/2008, 7:17 PM
i agree about the fk england scarves, we don't need that. Shame on you sligo hornet ;)
best load of singing for a long time at these games. I particulary thought mainz was class!
hopefully we can keep it up, however the home game atmosphere with the going out brigade who don't make an effort

It was nothing to do with me and I did not buy one....some eejit put it over my shoulder as we were talking to Karl Spain:mad:...........that said it did raise a small smirk!;)

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 7:39 PM
To be honest the way I was behaving I was trying to F**k Germany.

Colie
17/09/2008, 7:48 PM
Why does anyone give a fuch where the song came from or what it represents? Not singing it coz it's a WWI recruitment song is as biggotted as not singing it coz it's a Wolfe Tones song. My favourite song of all time is The Green Fields of France. What army do ya reckon Willie McBride fought & died with? Fuch sake lads it doesn't matter what the hell we sing as long as we sing in unison & keep the noise going. If we farted in unison for 90 minutes it'd make the fans sound great so can't we all get the finger out, learn the song & sing it together. Fuch anysh1t that there might be about it; it's about the noise.

PS. Please don't mention singing GSTQ in unison coz yee get what I mean from the above.

NeilMcD
17/09/2008, 7:50 PM
Well said Collie.

Sligo Hornet
17/09/2008, 8:19 PM
Well said Collie.

Agreed....and for the last two games...the vast majority did us proud!....such consistent singing was admired by the VERY passionate Montenegrans:)

galah
18/09/2008, 9:03 AM
although have to admit funniest song of Mainz ...'Go on home Russian soldiers ...' i just wonder did the Georgians understand!!

paul_oshea
18/09/2008, 10:13 AM
oh ya i was the clown who was egged on to start it, even though i had thought about doiing it before being egged on. :D

Green Tribe
18/09/2008, 11:15 AM
indeed i think i was telling paul o shea and saint tom to start "go on home russian soldiers" :D

i know someone threw that scarf over ye sligo, i have watched the eircom clip :o :D