PDA

View Full Version : Government's skewed priorities to the fore again...

Pages : [1] 2

Sheridan
15/09/2008, 10:15 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7617518.stm

Irish diplomats have raised concerns with the Scottish Government over chanting by a section of the Rangers support at last month's Old Firm match.

Representations were made by Ireland's Consul General after a Celtic supporter complained about a song which refers to the Irish potato famine.
WTF? Why is our government getting involved in this? Which saddo made this complaint, and why was it entertained instead of being laughed off as none of their business?

As with Bertie Ahern condemning derogatory chants directed by Bohs fans at Roy Keane's Sunderland last year, it seems the government only feel compelled to intervene where British clubs are concerned, whilst simultaneously p1ssing all over Irish football.

A face
15/09/2008, 10:24 PM
Its actually unreal, and a source of amusement from non nationals. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

OneRedArmy
15/09/2008, 10:26 PM
Next they'll be protesting to the English FA that the Engerland fans in Croatia were interspersing chants of "We hate Setanta" with "No Surrender to the IRA"....

Its not like there's anything better they could be spending their time doing what with the economy doing so well and our reputation in Europe being golden.

Muppets.

P.S. A Face, what is a non-national?

A face
15/09/2008, 10:44 PM
Next they'll be protesting to the English FA that the Engerland fans in Croatia were interspersing chants of "We hate Setanta" with "No Surrender to the IRA"....

Its not like there's anything better they could be spending their time doing what with the economy doing so well and our reputation in Europe being golden.

Muppets.

Good point actually, where are they drawing the line ...... in fact it would be brilliant .... pure unadulterated brilliance if someone could urge them to actually intervene and raise concerns with the English Government over this. It would really highlight how retarded the situation is.

P.S. A Face, what is a non-national?

Three different scenarios, two in work and one down the pub. Non nationals involved Welsh, English, Polish, German, Spanish and Belgium. I am on the receiving end of ridicule (light hearted all of it) in one scenario over it, at least they try and wind me and another few up ..... but they all have a point. Its completely hair brained what is happening and on that scale. Its embarrassing but at least i'm not part of it.

BohDiddley
16/09/2008, 9:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7617518.stm
As with Bertie Ahern condemning derogatory chants directed by Bohs fans at Roy Keane's Sunderland last year, it seems the government only feel compelled to intervene where British clubs are concerned, whilst simultaneously p1ssing all over Irish football.
Would you be content for Rangers or any other fans to celebrate the holocaust without protest from the Israeli government or Jewish organizations? Would Isreali football fans be embarrassed? I'm all for giving it to Bertie and his SundIreland buddies, but I think we need a little perspective here.

pete
16/09/2008, 9:41 AM
As chants go I would think that is very mild stuff for the old firm. My entertaining that complaint they are setting a precedent so will have to take up all the other complaints that follow. It is the Irish consulate & not the Irish government anyway.

It doesn't mention if an Irish person complained.

noby
16/09/2008, 9:51 AM
It doesn't mention if an Irish person complained.

It says a 'Celtic supporter', so as good as...

*runs and hides*

Sheridan
16/09/2008, 10:38 AM
Would you be content for Rangers or any other fans to celebrate the holocaust without protest from the Israeli government or Jewish organizations?
Because that's a totally analogous situation. :rolleyes:

Get off the stage, everyone knows what to expect at an Old Firm game and that it essentially has nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish. Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself and the stupidity of the individual who made the complaint is only surpassed by that of the representatives of the Irish state who chose to entertain it.

BohDiddley
16/09/2008, 11:00 AM
Because that's a totally analogous situation. :rolleyes:

Get off the stage, everyone knows what to expect at an Old Firm game and that it essentially has nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish. Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself and the stupidity of the individual who made the complaint is only surpassed by that of the representatives of the Irish state who chose to entertain it.
Don't equate the Irish famine and the Sunderland farce and then tell me to get off the stage.
It would be fatuous to suggest that the famine and the holocaust were totally analogous, and I didn't, but there are analogous elements. In this case it is the celebration by a bunch of sickos in Scotland of mass starvation as government policy in the 19th century, and rejoicing in the mass extermination of Jews and others in the 20th.
Doing that as as part of some comically dated sectarian ritual doesn't turn it into an irrelevant jape. I certainly agree with you on the idiocy of Celtic and Rangers fans both, but that doesn't give them carte blanche.

ndrog
16/09/2008, 11:05 AM
Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself is a totaly stupid thing to say FFS:rolleyes:

Nesta99
16/09/2008, 12:01 PM
Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself is a totaly stupid thing to say FFS:rolleyes:

Well it is a sweeping statement, but as we all know whichever team that is supported follows almost totally along a religious divide so the point could be argued that the reason behind choosing one side or another could be rooted in sectarianism or even bigotry! I recently saw a program on BBC on what it meant to be British...the answer given by the portadown grandmaster of orange lodge was 'anti-irish' oh how i laughed as i thought how great it was to play such an important role in their psyche...british = anti-irish...brilliant! In that regard our government such be above giving any attention to such trivial matters. Treat them like children, ignore the bold natured attention seeking and it will eventually stop. The rangers fans would only be too delighted to see their actions causing insult and annoyance. Assuming a lack of violence i would ignore nazi saluting etc too and non white players/jews et al should ignore this sub-species also...although within reason maybe

jinxy lilywhite
16/09/2008, 12:19 PM
Would you be content for Rangers or any other fans to celebrate the holocaust without protest from the Israeli government or Jewish organizations?

I would completely agree with this statement. Both types of ethnic cleansing but if it would be 10 times worse or perceived worse to be singing about the holocaust.
I'm all for forgive and forget and reconcilliation but a person/govt has a right to complain in relation to racial discrimination which is exactly what it is.

BTW; anybody know the words of the song (just to show it for what it is)

John83
16/09/2008, 12:50 PM
BTW; anybody know the words of the song (just to show it for what it is)
"The famine's over, why don't you go home?" is the line that gets quoted in reports. Seems spectacularly inoccuous, compared with my expectations.

The famine was genocide by economics, which lacks the sheer inhumanity of the ovens and gas chambers of the Holocost, but the subject still deserves to be treated with respect.

RonnieB
16/09/2008, 12:54 PM
Cannot be upsetting those poor Celtic fans who have never sung an offensive song to anyone. little angels all of them.

jinxy lilywhite
16/09/2008, 1:04 PM
"The famine's over, why don't you go home?" is the line that gets quoted in reports. Seems spectacularly inoccuous, compared with my expectations.

The famine was genocide by economics, which lacks the sheer inhumanity of the ovens and gas chambers of the Holocost, but the subject still deserves to be treated with respect.

I tried to find it on wiki but it just said those words

gspain
16/09/2008, 1:19 PM
Those are the offensive words according to the BBC report "the famine's over why don't you go home"

These Old Frim games must be very tame now if that is the most offensive thing sung there. Both sets of fans have been known to sing songs glorifying sectarian terrorists who committed brutal atrocities in living memory. I can understand complaints on that score but this seems over the top to me.

I really think our government should stick to representing our citizens. I think they have far more serious things to be worried about. Although on second thoughts having been called a "stab city w£$ker" by Rovers fans has left me scarred for life. I wonder can our government do anything about it. A few million quid compo would do nicely.

stickyjoe
16/09/2008, 2:00 PM
Here is the words of it here. Also brings the smear campaign of Jock Stein into it in relation to child abuse.

www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=73402

jinxy lilywhite
16/09/2008, 2:42 PM
I've actually heard worse songs but I can see how it would be offensive to a sensitive Irish Celtic fan.

Edit: TBH I'd expect nothing less from both Celtic and Rangers supporters

irishultra
16/09/2008, 3:40 PM
Hang on how is not not 'worse' than the Holocaust? Please explain that please. As someone said it didn't have the brutality of the holocaust but nothing to be sniffed at. so we should laugh it off, what a ****ing idiot.

seriously sometimes i hate league of ireland fans. for a league you tell people to support cause its irish, a lot seem to actually hate ireland.

RonnieB
16/09/2008, 4:27 PM
It happened many many years ago get over it. The same with the holocaust, whats done is done time for people to move on.

irishultra
16/09/2008, 5:16 PM
Lmao.

TonyD
16/09/2008, 6:32 PM
seriously sometimes i hate league of ireland fans.

We hate you right back :p:p

Nesta99
17/09/2008, 1:45 AM

Nesta99
17/09/2008, 2:05 AM
"Fuelled U boats by nigh"

Bwaahahahahahahahhahaha!!!! Evil we all are! as i said pleasure has been taken from insult been had..erm erm f##k the pope too by the way he's a nasty chap so he is!...ah i know that aint scots .... boring really nowt at all to do with honest football folk!

galwayhoop
17/09/2008, 10:11 AM
It happened many many years ago get over it. The same with the holocaust, whats done is done time for people to move on.

true those things happened a while ago but they should not be glorified in song by others and neither should be forgotton either.

the complaint was made to the irish embassy in london and followed up by the consul general in edinburgh at one of many meetings with the scotish gov.

2g and 3g emigrants in scotland are mainly there as a result of the 'famine' and subsequent economic and social conditions following on from it - it has a direct resonance with a lot of 3g irish in britain and beyond.

it would be like irish people singing a song with "the famine is over why don't you go home" to a group of 2g or 3g africians at a football match here, hardly politically correct and totally racist - i would only expect that some sort of africian group (along with the pc brigade) would be up in arms.

Salmon Coloured
17/09/2008, 10:31 AM
This thread needs to be closed.

galwayhoop
17/09/2008, 10:59 AM
.......or at least moved from eircom league to current affairs or somewhere else

gspain
17/09/2008, 11:32 AM
true those things happened a while ago but they should not be glorified in song by others and neither should be forgotton either.

the complaint was made to the irish embassy in london and followed up by the consul general in edinburgh at one of many meetings with the scotish gov.

2g and 3g emigrants in scotland are mainly there as a result of the 'famine' and subsequent economic and social conditions following on from it - it has a direct resonance with a lot of 3g irish in britain and beyond.

it would be like irish people singing a song with "the famine is over why don't you go home" to a group of 2g or 3g africians at a football match here, hardly politically correct and totally racist - i would only expect that some sort of africian group (along with the pc brigade) would be up in arms.

I think the point is not whether the song is right or wrong but whether our government should get involved.

I don't think the song is appropriate. However it is a lot tamer than some of the stuff sung by Rangers fans dlorifying the UDA or UVF who slaughtered hundreds of innocent people in living memory as opposed to people who died over 160 years ago. Of course the Celtic fans won't complain about the UVF songs because then they can't sing their IRA songs who also sluaghtered hundreds of innocent people in living memory.

galwayhoop
17/09/2008, 11:43 AM
I think the point is not whether the song is right or wrong but whether our government should get involved.

our government didn't get involved... read the original link:
"The Irish consul general in Edinburgh raised the issue at her regular meeting with the Scottish Government."

John83
17/09/2008, 12:49 PM
our government didn't get involved... read the original link:
"The Irish consul general in Edinburgh raised the issue at her regular meeting with the Scottish Government."
Reading the article is cheating. ;)

Mayo_Bhoy
17/09/2008, 2:34 PM

I don't think the song is appropriate. However it is a lot tamer than some of the stuff sung by Rangers fans dlorifying the UDA or UVF who slaughtered hundreds of innocent people in living memory as opposed to people who died over 160 years ago. Of course the Celtic fans won't complain about the UVF songs because then they can't sing their IRA songs who also sluaghtered hundreds of innocent people in living memory.

Which IRA songs are sung?? Seriuosly i'd like to know but cos i never hear any at CP??? Then again i suspect you wont't name any.

Rovers1
17/09/2008, 2:44 PM
whats a "bhoy"??

jinxy lilywhite
17/09/2008, 2:56 PM
whats a "bhoy"??

Its a ball type thing that be's in a bay to warn of low depth water :p

Mayo_Bhoy
17/09/2008, 3:28 PM
whats a "bhoy"??

Very witty there Rovers. Is that the best you can do?? Tut Tut:rolleyes:

gspain
17/09/2008, 5:38 PM
Which IRA songs are sung?? Seriuosly i'd like to know but cos i never hear any at CP??? Then again i suspect you wont't name any.

oh ah up the RA

The Boys of the old Brigade.

They aren't sung at CP anymore only at away games because both OF clubs have clamped down on signing at home games but not away games which are virtually season ticket holder only events.

See hundreds of Rangers fans dressed up in Celtic gear singing sectarian songs here to discredit the great club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwqWQS8oRY

Straightstory
17/09/2008, 6:49 PM
The holocaust was genocide. The famine resulted in death, starvation and misery for Ireland, but it was neither ethnic cleansing nor genocide. People should at least get their facts right.
On topic - the Irish government complaining about this is ridiculous.

Bohemian1890
17/09/2008, 10:26 PM
The holocaust was genocide. The famine resulted in death, starvation and misery for Ireland, but it was neither ethnic cleansing nor genocide. People should at least get their facts right.

Food was still being exported during the famine when the people should have been getting it.They starved them to death just as good as killing them.

Sheridan
17/09/2008, 10:47 PM
The famine happened because the government of the day refused to intervene in the operation of the free market to assist the vulnerable. Basically the same philosophy the PDs and Fianna Fáil have espoused for the past decade. People are still dying on trolleys and in alleyways due to this doctrine. So what do we think of the famine? We voted for it.

A face
17/09/2008, 11:11 PM
So what do we think of the famine? We voted for it.

Ah no we didn't .... ye did ..... i have to suffer it :(

BohsPartisan
17/09/2008, 11:16 PM
Don't equate the Irish famine and the Sunderland farce and then tell me to get off the stage.
It would be fatuous to suggest that the famine and the holocaust were totally analogous, and I didn't, but there are analogous elements. In this case it is the celebration by a bunch of sickos in Scotland of mass starvation as government policy in the 19th century, and rejoicing in the mass extermination of Jews and others in the 20th.
Doing that as as part of some comically dated sectarian ritual doesn't turn it into an irrelevant jape. I certainly agree with you on the idiocy of Celtic and Rangers fans both, but that doesn't give them carte blanche.

Is the chant
"The Famines over, why don't you go home"?

If thats the one its hardly that offensive and would be seen as a reply to all the plastic paddy chants from the Celtic lot, analogous to, if you love Ireland so much, why don't you live there.

gspain
18/09/2008, 7:04 AM
Is the chant

If thats the one its hardly that offensive and would be seen as a reply to all the plastic paddy chants from the Celtic lot, analogous to, if you love Ireland so much, why don't you live there.

Or even support an Irish team instead. :D

bennocelt
18/09/2008, 7:35 AM

wrong, you get your facts right, or at least read a book on Irish history:rolleyes:

geysir
18/09/2008, 9:07 AM
Is the chant

Here's a verse, judge for yourself. By any criteria it's an insult to the Irish community in Britain. The irish Embassy was well within it's brief to highlight this to the relevant authorities.

'Now they raped and fondled their kids
That's what those perverts from the darkside did
And they swept it under the carpet
and Large John he hid
Their evils seeds have been sown
Cause they're not of our own
Well the famine is over
Why don't you go home?.

A face
18/09/2008, 9:59 AM
Well the famine is over
Why don't you go home?.

Can someone have a word, we dont want them home. Stay over there ffs

gspain
18/09/2008, 10:41 AM
Here's a verse, judge for yourself. By any criteria it's an insult to the Irish community in Britain. The irish Embassy was well within it's brief to highlight this to the relevant authorities.

'Now they raped and fondled their kids
That's what those perverts from the darkside did
And they swept it under the carpet
and Large John he hid
Their evils seeds have been sown
Cause they're not of our own
Well the famine is over
Why don't you go home?.

The earlier bit of the song seems far more offensive to me. It is however offensive to Roman Catholics and not to Irish people per se. There is a difference despite Kieran Westwood's claims.

Should the Polish government complain?

I still don't think our government should have got involved.

geysir
18/09/2008, 11:05 AM
The earlier bit of the song seems far more offensive to me. It is however offensive to Roman Catholics and not to Irish people per se.

It is not offensive when the Irish are accused of raping our own children and spreading our evil seed? "From Ireland they came"

Do you need that spelt out any more?

I still don't think our government should have got involved.
Our government did not get involved. The Irish Embassy got involved.
As I said, it is well within their brief to bring to the notice of relevant Anti Irish racism to the relevant British authorities.
Isn't that all right Pat :)

There is a difference despite Kieran Westwood's claims.

Should the Polish government complain?
I don't know what that is about about.
If there is any act of racism committed in Ireland I would expect that anybody who brings it to the attention of the authorities should be commended for doing so.

jinxy lilywhite
18/09/2008, 11:07 AM
I think the complaint has done exactly what those who sang the song intended it to get. They got a reaction. I think it should of been ignored and let them sing their little hate song. I believe these people should be given all the air time in the world so the rest of us can see how really stupid, singleminded and bigoted they are. Physically they aren't harming anyone and possibly the most sensitive of Irish folk would laugh this off. The only people they are shaming is the club of Rangers Fc and themselves. So in essence I don't really care what a few thousand scots say about Ireland cause they aren't worth a foot.ie thread being started on them

A face
18/09/2008, 11:23 AM
So in essence I don't really care what a few thousand scots say about Ireland cause they aren't worth a foot.ie thread being started on them

That about the size of it right there really.

Nesta99
18/09/2008, 11:54 AM
I think the complaint has done exactly what those who sang the song intended it to get. They got a reaction. I think it should of been ignored and let them sing their little hate song. I believe these people should be given all the air time in the world so the rest of us can see how really stupid, singleminded and bigoted they are. Physically they aren't harming anyone and possibly the most sensitive of Irish folk would laugh this off. The only people they are shaming is the club of Rangers Fc and themselves. So in essence I don't really care what a few thousand scots say about Ireland cause they aren't worth a foot.ie thread being started on them

My sentiments exactly!!! Ignore them and let them let themselves their club and community down!

gspain
18/09/2008, 12:11 PM
It is not offensive when the Irish are accused of raping our own children and spreading our evil seed? "From Ireland they came"

Do you need that spelt out any more?

Where are you getting the line "From Ireland they came"?