PDA

View Full Version : Beijing

Closed Account 2
15/09/2008, 8:25 PM
Evening all!

I am off to Beijing this weekend, has anyone been and anyone got any tips ?

I've a guide book on the tourist sites, but if anyone's got a tip on a place not to miss, and if anyone knows a good place there to get electronic stuff (a new camera and maybe DVDs) it would be great!

theworm2345
15/09/2008, 10:29 PM
I've a friend who went during the start of the Olympics and he said Beijing is a **** hole. Dirty, smoggy (and there was supposedly 25% of usual smog at that time), and people just spit every where. He enjoyed the Olympics I guess but you won't be there for them. From the way he desribes it, it may be even worse than New York :eek: (I'm not sure thats possible). He said check out the Silk Market for cheap footy shirts though

bennocelt
17/09/2008, 9:14 AM
Was in China and Beijing a few times. Interesting country for sure. Food is excellent, and you can buy many cheap DVds, Cds, computer stuff, fake football jerseys all sh ite cheap - which is great! I would suggest to bring an empty suitcase

Beijing is a hole of a place. its polluted, dirty and overcrowded. The locals as well are not very friendly, and please be careful when trying to cross the road. I was nearly knocked down by a bus walking on the zebra crossing. I think they haven't figured what zebra crossings mean yet in China!

Maybe you should hit Shanghai instead?

But china is still am amazing place to see - it will be in eyeopener
The supermarkets have enough live food than any farm here!!:)

have a good trip:)

Closed Account 2
17/09/2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the tips, yeah most people have said Beijing is not a great place to visit, but I'm there to catch the train to Mongolia and on to Southern Russia.

Benno, is there any place in particular to get that stuff (e.g. like the Silk Market Worm has suggested?) or is stuff for sale pretty much everywhere ?

Thanks!

bennocelt
17/09/2008, 12:38 PM
Well TBH i always tried to get out of Beijing as quick as i could, but i found the area where all the embassies (not far from the train station) are good for markets and counterfeit goods. (i think the silk market is there too)
I am not sure if there has been a crack down on all that recently though - even if the Chinese always seem to sell regardless.
The silk market is good, and you will get a good bargain. Its also amazing to see the sellers level of English which amounts to bargaining and trying to get an item sold - "Cheap", "Bargain", " suits you", etc but wont know how to say the basics.

Tianamen square is bloody big!!! And if I am honest a little boring. i have little love for Mao so it wasnt a big hit with me anyway, but if you do go and see his tomb be aware that you will be pushed and shoved along the way, and will def not be allowed to take any photos within.

And the Great Wall? Well be careful for the ripoffs, it should only cost you about 100 yuan or even less to get a bus there. Get a taxi and watch the yuan rise!

the best thing about the city in my opinion is the Hutongs, the old and narrow streets, in the centre of the city. Full of life and free!!!

Where else are you going in China?
In fact - in Shanxi Provence near Beijing (near, as in a day's journey!) has an amazing amount of old history and many World Heritage Sites.

(oh yeah - stuff is pretty much for sale anywhere)

theworm2345
17/09/2008, 10:35 PM
Was in China and Beijing a few times. Interesting country for sure. Food is excellent, and you can buy many cheap DVds, Cds, computer stuff, fake football jerseys all sh ite cheap - which is great! I would suggest to bring an empty suitcase

Beijing is a hole of a place. its polluted, dirty and overcrowded. The locals as well are not very friendly, and please be careful when trying to cross the road. I was nearly knocked down by a bus walking on the zebra crossing. I think they haven't figured what zebra crossings mean yet in China!

Maybe you should hit Shanghai instead?

But china is still am amazing place to see - it will be in eyeopener
The supermarkets have enough live food than any farm here!!:)

have a good trip:)
Yeah my friend said Shanghai was much better