PDA

View Full Version : We’ll show Republic who’s tops, says Linfield boss

Steve Bruce
15/09/2008, 11:27 AM
From Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/wersquoll-show-republic-whorsquos-tops-says-linfield-boss-13973416.html

Linfield manager David Jeffrey has lashed out at those who laud the eircom League while looking down on our own top flight, by claiming that football down south is on a downward spiral.

The Blues go into tonight’s Setanta Sports Cup clash with Glentoran at Windsor Park, knowing that victory would edge them closer to a place in the semi-finals of the cross-border competition

But Jeffrey has hit out at the cash-rich League of Ireland and vented his anger at being made to feel like the poor relations of football on this island.

“It is vitally important that the Irish League has someone in the semi-finals,” he said.

“I am sick of being told how good the eircom League is.”

He added: “What annoys me a wee bit more is that we are being told how great the eircom League is.

“Yeah, it’s fantastic — where’s Shelbourne now? Cork are in examinership; Sligo Rovers owe 130,000 (euro); where’s Kildare; where’s Bray?

“People say it’s great but it will not be great for long.

“How many teams in Northern Ireland have gone bust? We had one a clatter of years ago (Omagh Town) and nearly Coleraine.

“There may be an awful lot wrong with us but at least we try and keep our house in order.

“Things like that get on my wick.”

pete
15/09/2008, 11:48 AM
“Yeah, it’s fantastic — where’s Shelbourne now? Cork are in examinership; Sligo Rovers owe 130,000 (euro); where’s Kildare; where’s Bray?

I wonder why he does say thing like that on Setanta when he is paid to analyse the games...?

Shels are in the first division, Cork City expect to come out of Examinership next month, Sligo have paid most of their debt but have new tax bill later this year, Kildare is a county south west of Dublin, Bray is on the coast south of Dublin.

One club does not make a league. Not since the early days of smaller competition when Portadown made the semi final has any team outside Linfield got past the group stages.

Réiteoir
15/09/2008, 12:21 PM
Why the heck is he dragging Bray and Kildare County into this?

I could say the same with "Where are Brantwood? Where are Killymoon Rangers?"

and the reason that everyone keeps on about how much better the eircom League is because it is a far superior league to the KLMQPRJCBTBHJJB Super Duper Closed Shop Premiership...

Titan
15/09/2008, 12:27 PM
Attention seeking thats all. Ignore him and he might go away.

Black and White
15/09/2008, 12:54 PM
Its a wonder he didnt mention Dundalk there!!lol Dont think hel ever go away, Linfield win it every year, some of those clubs should do a Derry and come down here, might get somwhere other than Linfield buying whoever scores against them in the league the following season!!David Jeffries, the "norn" Irish version of |Roddy Collins.....with a job!!:D

Not Brazil
15/09/2008, 1:06 PM
Not since the early days of smaller competition when Portadown made the semi final has any team outside Linfield got past the group stages.

The inaugural competition in 2005 did not have any semi finals.

There were two groups of three clubs, playing each other home and away.

The two group winners contested the final, with Linfield FC emerging victorious.

To date, Linfield FC have not failed to get beyond the group stage.

livehead1
15/09/2008, 1:07 PM
My mates from that neck of the woods and say's he see's im regularly strolling round mullask with his linfield tracksuit on. what a tool; can you imagine roy keane strolling around sunderland with his on?!

Not Brazil
15/09/2008, 1:10 PM
Dont think hel ever go away, Linfield win it every year, some of those clubs should do a Derry and come down here, might get somwhere other than Linfield buying whoever scores against them in the league the following season!!David Jeffries, the "norn" Irish version of |Roddy Collins.....with a job!!:D

His name is David Jeffrey.

Who are all these players that Linfield have bought, on account of them scoring against them the previous season?:confused:

Not Brazil
15/09/2008, 1:12 PM
My mates from that neck of the woods and say's he see's im regularly strolling round mullask with his linfield tracksuit on. what a tool; can you imagine roy keane strolling around sunderland with his on?!

What's wrong with that?:confused:

Whilst he is (proudly) the current manager of Linfield FC, he is also a lifelong and passionate fan of the club.

ndrog
15/09/2008, 1:24 PM
He has a point surely .The eircom leauge is fecked ffs .Its imploding before our very eyes .Just because clubs in the south (including my own ) have decided to spend loads of money compared to the northern clubs , dosent make our leauge miles better does it ? He might be a bit odf a pain in the hole but he is a bit of a character and is good in the press and in front of the camrea .Something which is needed IMHO .

seanfhear
15/09/2008, 1:28 PM
If Linfield are willing to get involved in an ail league then they would be able to show us in the rest of Ireland who is the best team on the island on a more regular basis.Lets be honest about there is no serious opposition in the irish league to Linfield.

OneRedArmy
15/09/2008, 1:31 PM
Its a simple motivational tool, playing on the oldest Nordie human characteristic, the inferiority complex. If his team are stupid enough to believe it and up their game, then fair play.

But the rest of us can take it with the mine of salt that it deserves.

Linfield are a very good team playing in a tinpot League*.

*Thats not to say that our League won't also be equally tinpot by the end of this season

drummerboy
15/09/2008, 1:31 PM
I'm sure Setanta are quite pleased to hear Mr Jeffrey making such comments. Ads spice to the upcoming games in their Cup. He is a character, and although I certainly wouldn't agree with what he says a lot of the time, he can't be ignored. Excellent manager. I'm looking forward to the rest of the competition, especially after this.

Not Brazil
15/09/2008, 1:38 PM
If Linfield are willing to get involved in an ail league then they would be able to show us in the rest of Ireland who is the best team on the island on a more regular basis.

Whilst, personally, I would like to see Linfield compete in an AI "Premier" League (providing certain safeguards were copper fastened), Linfield FC have made it absolutely clear that they will not be entering such a league.

A Club statement in March 2008, made this public:

"This all-Ireland knockout tournament has enjoyed some relative success and Linfield, with consistent performances and crowd appeal, have been the big draw over the past three years.

Certainly, we have been the outstanding Northern Ireland team in the tournament.

Linfield Football Club are quite happy to compete in an all- Ireland tournament which can operate on a limited timescale alongside our own domestic competitions, but we do not favour an all- Ireland league which would bypass the format, regulations and traditions of the Irish Football Association.

The integrity of the Carnegie Irish Premier League in Northern Ireland and other competitions in this country are paramount, and Linfield will continue to advance our position in this jurisdiction, representing the IFA in Europe."

Mr.f
15/09/2008, 2:06 PM
I believe that Jeffry's has a pretty valid point.

Indeed the northern league is only seriously contested between the "Big Two" however unlike our Eircom league the likes of Cliftonville, Ballymena and Cruasders are unwilling to risk the future wellbeing of their clubs in order to have a crack at the big two dominance. fair play to them I reckon.

While the quality of the Irish league is clearly lower than the LOI ( this can be backed up by the amount of reserve team players at Harps and Derry who go out on loan to the likes of Institute and Coleraine) you have to praise the northern clubs for their wise financial house keepng.

Mr A
15/09/2008, 2:48 PM
He has a point, but it's a bit rich to be dissing people for overspending when Linfield's income from the IFA dwarves the budget of most IL clubs.

EalingGreen
15/09/2008, 3:42 PM
I believe that Jeffry's has a pretty valid point.

Am forced to agree, even though I think he's a right dose. That said, I'm sure Jeffrey's primary motive in saying it is more to wind up his own team/fans etc, than provide a critique of the respective two Leagues.

Indeed the northern league is only seriously contested between the "Big Two" however unlike our Eircom league the likes of Cliftonville, Ballymena and Cruasders are unwilling to risk the future wellbeing of their clubs in order to have a crack at the big two dominance. fair play to them I reckon.

While the quality of the Irish league is clearly lower than the LOI ( this can be backed up by the amount of reserve team players at Harps and Derry who go out on loan to the likes of Institute and Coleraine) you have to praise the northern clubs for their wise financial house keepng.

These things tend to come in cycles and after a period when the LOI was clearly some way ahead of the IL, perhaps the pendulum is swinging back the other way a little?
If so, maybe we will be able to identify amongst the causes an over-reaching of themselves by certain LOI clubs (going f-t, whilst racking up debt etc), at the same time as Peace/Economic Regeneration in NI will finally allow us to close the gap a wee bit on the Celtic Tiger etc South of the border.
Added to which, there has traditionally been greater stability amongst IL clubs, with fewer going bust/forced to move grounds etc, than amongst LOI clubs.

Of course, we've still got the problem of "The Big Two" - esp LFC - dominating our League, but even this might change over time?
If we ever get a new Stadium built for the NI team, or even refurbish Windsor, this might conceivably lead to a relative drop in income (real terms) for LFC from the IFA.
As against that, the Glens might just one day sort out their ground problem - either redeveloping the Oval, or moving to a new stadium. In any case, the present stalemate is doing that club no good whatever.

Meanwhile, some of the other clubs look to be getting their act together over ground facilities, most notably Cliftonville, Portadown and Crusaders, and administration/organisation generally (e.g. Bangor).

Bohemian1890
15/09/2008, 4:00 PM
Bray made a profit this year so why is he talking about them??:confused:

Stevo Da Gull
15/09/2008, 4:18 PM
Bray made a profit this year so why is he talking about them??:confused:

That's what I was thinking, but a lot of people used to like to come to Bray on holiday (I don't know why) so maybe he was just curious :D

Overall he does have a point though.

bholg
16/09/2008, 11:26 AM
I hope took solace from the fact that at least it was his fellow nordies that gave them a thumping last night

Réiteoir
16/09/2008, 11:32 AM
Yep Davey boy - that's really showing the lads down in the eircom who's boss - getting hockeyed 4-1 by the only other half decent side in the JJB - the league that makes even the SPL look competitive...

Well played

thischarmingman
16/09/2008, 11:33 AM
He has a point, but it's a bit rich to be dissing people for overspending

Yeah, him and his homies should back off.

:)

pete
16/09/2008, 11:35 AM
Seems in an effort to motivate is own players Mr. Jeffrey probably only motivated the Glentoran players by omission.

:D