PDA

View Full Version : Misleading advertising

BohDiddley
13/09/2008, 5:46 PM
Clicked on a Google Adsense link to Derry City just there. Instead of bringing me to a Derry site, it led to ireland.com's sports section (all or most of which is English Premiership).

On elevenaside.com, in the Bohemians section, there are banner ads for Siac and Thomas Forkan which bill these companies as 'proud supporters' of the club. To my knowledge, they don't sponsor Bohs.

I suspect that the same applies to other club sections within this website. Interestingly, a similar ad for Dublin CC labels it as a supporter of the Bohs section, a different matter entirely, but still, in my view, confusing and perhaps deliberately so.

In my view, both of these represent sharp practice. Any thoughts?

Magicme
14/09/2008, 3:18 AM
I like cheese. Thats my only thought right now.

Jeebus
14/09/2008, 4:31 AM
Clicked on a Google Adsense link to Derry City just there. Instead of bringing me to a Derry site, it led to ireland.com's sports section (all or most of which is English Premiership).

On elevenaside.com, in the Bohemians section, there are banner ads for Siac and Thomas Forkan which bill these companies as 'proud supporters' of the club. To my knowledge, they don't sponsor Bohs.

I suspect that the same applies to other club sections within this website. Interestingly, a similar ad for Dublin CC labels it as a supporter of the Bohs section, a different matter entirely, but still, in my view, confusing and perhaps deliberately so.

In my view, both of these represent sharp practice. Any thoughts?

Ad on our site says i can win 5k for my club from Texaco. Im guessing thats a general advert. Saw an ad recently promoting the GAA here on foot!!! I think one of the admin before said that its google that run the ads and they had no control over them.

Id still love to see 'THE 4 LANTERNS -- SLIGO'S FINEST DINER' when i open up though!! :D

BohDiddley
14/09/2008, 10:45 AM
Ad on our site says i can win 5k for my club from Texaco. Im guessing thats a general advert. Saw an ad recently promoting the GAA here on foot!!! I think one of the admin before said that its google that run the ads and they had no control over them.

Id still love to see 'THE 4 LANTERNS -- SLIGO'S FINEST DINER' when i open up though!! :D
Google runs ads on a lot of sites -- not sure about foot.ie -- but a site owner can block specific ones. Your club clearly is benefiting from the ad on its site.

BohsPartisan
15/09/2008, 12:05 AM
I like cheese. Thats my only thought right now.

Got the munchies?

Paraic
15/09/2008, 8:42 AM
Sligo Rovers had the same issue with eleven-a-side, but they changed the wording on the ads to 'sponsor of the sligo rovers section' or something similar. it's certainly open to confusion but there was no problem changing it - I can put you in touch with the eleven-a-side people if you pm me.