PDA

View Full Version : Starting XI for Switzerland.

Slash/ED
28/09/2003, 6:30 PM
With the squad announcement coming soon (Next week isn't it?) what starting eleven would people like to see us putting out for the crucial match?

For myself, I'd pick...

Given - I doubt anyone will disagree...

Carr - Fairly obvious choice, played well against City today. Since I've Finnan in another position Carr is automatic choice really.

Finnan - As a left back. With Cunningham out I'd move O'Shea inside and a choice between Finnan out of position or Harte at all would favour the Liverpool man in my eyes.

O'Shea - Moved to central defence, his favoured position, with the abscence of Cunningham. His pace there will be crucial given the Swiss style of play, we need someone like O'Shea there.

Breen - Another superb preformance for Sunderland against Reading, he was outstanding. He's confident right now and I can't really see anyone leaving him out.

Duff - While Kilbane played alright in the last two preformances people are getting carried away. He works hard yes but he lacks the quality to really create chances. Duff, as our best player should be played in the position where he does the most damage, left wing.

Reid - Last two preformances aside, Reids been great for us so far. My only concern will be his club suspension which will see him lacking sharpness, but there's not much competition wide right really.

Healy - Lacking fitness recently for us, that problem is now solved. Has been commanding in his two starts in central mid field for Sunderland and when on form can pass a ball better then anyone in our side too. Now his sharpness is back he can produce what he did against Georgia.

Holland - I'm not his biggest fan but Delap wont be ready for this one and he played well against Russia. It's him or Kinsella and you have to give it to Holland every time, though in the future I'd favour Delap.

Keane - Can't see any debate there.

Connolly - I'm a massive Morrison fan, but, he's out of favour for Birmingham and hasn't played alot so he wont be sharp or at his best. Connolly, on the other hand, is on fire. Banging them in for West Ham and a cracker against Turkey, this could be his match. Bring Morrison on with 20 minutes to go if we need a goal.

Hopeing there's no injuries, what do ye think? And what about captain, Breen would be my choice I have to admit.

Junior
28/09/2003, 6:44 PM
would agree with that.

Only reservation would be with Reid, due to lack of matches and therefore fitness.

Not sure if Duff has played on the left or right recently for chelsea but possibly could play Kilbane on the Left with Duff on the right/floating.

Slash/ED
28/09/2003, 6:52 PM
That'd be my main concern aswell, and that's an option, but I'd really like to see Duff on the left for 90 minutes. We could try Kilbane on the right, he's played there once or twice before for sunderland, or even play Harte at left back and Finnan right wing so we do have options I suppose, but I hope he sticks with Duff on the left.

Ozymandias
29/09/2003, 9:10 AM
reid was poor against Russia and the reason being was sharpness..he hasn't played due to suspension so I wouldn't play him..better coming of the bench...Kilbane left duff right.
other wise play oshea left full with the honeymonster or obrien in centre with breen..this would allow finnan to play on the right of midfield..

Your team is very close to what kerr will start with..I think he will go with connolly...I just worry about our lack of height..the swiss couldn't handle the high ball against russia. But we should go with a very offensive teame...

C'mon the lads

sadloserkid
29/09/2003, 11:23 AM
I'd start with Kinsella ahead of Healy who I really don't rate at all (I'd prefer Delap but as you said he's doubtful). Other then that I'd probably go with the same XI as yourself. Well picked! Not sure about starting Dunne or O'Brien in such an important match (I know Dunne was great against Holland but he's hardly had the most settled time of late now has he?)

Paulie
29/09/2003, 1:21 PM
Kinsella has not been getting a look-in at Villa (I don't think that he even made the bench on Saturday) so for the most part I would have to agree with Slash/Ed's selection. The only thing I might change is playing Duff on the right with Kilbane on the left. Stephen Reid is a decent player who, if playing well I would definitely have in the team, but on current form I'm not too sure. The one combination I don't want to see is Harte at left full with Duff on the left wing. Harte is a liability at left full and I do not want to see our best attacking player in Duff having to spend half the match in his own half because he feels that he must always cover Harte. Obviously all wide players have to carry out a certain amount of defensive duties but surely he would feel safer getting forward if he knew the left full was, well, able to defend. If Duff plays on the left then I'd go for Finnan at left back.

tiktok
29/09/2003, 1:27 PM
Agree with Junior.

The team that Slash/ED mentioned except Duff on the right and Kilbane on the left. Thought Healy was ok at the weekend. watched the cardiff -v- hammers game last week and i thought that Kavanagh was outstanding, reminded me of (dare i say his name) roy keane.

Ozymandias
29/09/2003, 2:50 PM
tiktok It is ok to mention the great one..

Kavanagh is playing well...wouyld Kerr risk him for this match don't think so....he probably would be in the squad though if it wasn't so important.....I would think his displays over the last few years deserve a call up

colster
30/09/2003, 12:10 PM
I think Kavanagh should be in the squad. He might not make it into the starting eleven but would be a better option to bring on than Kinsella if we needed a goal.
He seems to pick up a few goals for Cardiff and has a good shot if I remember correctly.
Anyway he has played more football than this season than Healy or Kinsella and seems to be in great form.
I think he will make the squad.
I hope I'm not jinxing him but he reminds me of a certain other goal scoring midfielder who came on to score a goal that put us through to the W.C. in 94.
What do you think?

brine2
30/09/2003, 9:33 PM
double post

brine2
30/09/2003, 9:33 PM
Given

Carr O'Shea Finnan

Thornton Healy

Reid Miller Duff

Keane Connolly

We need to go there and attack, get the goals in early and control the match. Matches are won and lost in midfield, and we don't have Roy Keane anymore. So let's pack the midfield with quality ball passers.

Connolly ahead of Morrisson. Morrisson is out of sorts and Connolly seems to be in the form of his life at the moment.

I agree about drafting Kavanagh into the squad.

sadloserkid
01/10/2003, 9:11 AM
I wouldn't start Miller or Thornton in such a big game even if they were both playing first team football for decent sized clubs. As it is Thornton's only experiencing First Division football and Miller is limited to cameo roles off the bench for Celtic. Two for the future I agree but I wouldn't throw them in yet. I do agree though that we need to attack. I like the idea of a back three in principle as well but worry that it would be a huge gamble to experiment with in Switzerland. Also starting with two natural fullbacks and only one centre-half would be asking for disaster. I think Breen would be even more pivotal (Or Dunne or O'Brien) in such a system First Division football or not!

Greenbod
01/10/2003, 9:12 AM
Originally posted by brine2

Given

Carr O'Shea Finnan

Thornton Healy

Reid Miller Duff

Keane Connolly

Brine, thats a nice looking team on paper, but I'd like to see it tried out in a game a little less important than this one.

colster
01/10/2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by brine2

Given

Carr O'Shea Finnan

Thornton Healy

Reid Miller Duff

Keane Connolly

brine2 looks like an exciting side. Gives you some hope and confidence for the future.
Even more so when you consider that Reid (andy or stephen?), Morrisson, MacPhail, Doyle, Barrett, Kelly and Lee to name but a few are not mentioned.
However I don't think that this should be the line-up for Switzerland.
Roll on the first autumn friendly and I think the majority of this side will get their chance.

Ozymandias
01/10/2003, 11:31 AM
If we qualify for portugal that team won't be far off...it is a young side and also when you think of Kelly at spurs and flood at city the future could be bright......

Not a hope of seeing that team in basel though