PDA

View Full Version : Gmail

DmanDmythDledge
12/09/2008, 1:31 PM
Is there any way of adding subfolders to the inbox? Pain in the arse looking for old emails, even with the search.

noby
12/09/2008, 1:35 PM
Labels is what you want. You create new labels, tag your new e-mails with the appropriate labels, then archive.

DmanDmythDledge
12/09/2008, 1:40 PM
Nice one Noby. Cheers.

John83
12/09/2008, 2:08 PM
Also look at the filters. They're easy to set up, and you can make them automatically apply labels to email (new and old).

DmanDmythDledge
14/02/2010, 5:39 PM
Also look at the filters. They're easy to set up, and you can make them automatically apply labels to email (new and old).
Just dug this thread up to ask exactly how to do that actually. :)

One thing I'm wondering about it though. Is it possible to make an email not appear with the inbox label without archiving it (and where do archived messages go)?

Schumi
14/02/2010, 5:52 PM
Is it possible to make an email not appear with the inbox label without archiving it (and where do archived messages go)?

I don't think so as that's pretty much what archiving it means. You can see archived messages in the All Mail link.

John83
15/02/2010, 11:13 AM
Just dug this thread up to ask exactly how to do that actually. :)

One thing I'm wondering about it though. Is it possible to make an email not appear with the inbox label without archiving it (and where do archived messages go)?
Yes. When you're creating a filter, the first step defines what kind of emails you want to apply the filter to (who it's from, key words in it, etc.) and the second defines what to do to them. The top option on that second step is "skip inbox (archive)". Check that.

awec
17/02/2010, 12:38 AM
For some reason google ditched folders in favour of labels. To me it seems like 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

Schumi
17/02/2010, 11:15 AM
For some reason google ditched folders in favour of labels. To me it seems like 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

The difference is that you can put more than one label on a message which you can't do with folders as far as I know.