PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

noddy102
12/09/2008, 1:10 PM
Would I be right in saying Stphen only played his 2nd and 3rd competitive matches for Ireland when playing Georgia and Montenegro?
Or is it that he only started his 2nd and 3rd competitive matches?

Supreme feet
12/09/2008, 1:31 PM
Georgia was his first competitive start as a central midfielder. Previous starts (off the top of my head, Georgia home in 2003 and Germany away in 2006) were on the right of midfield. He's made a clutch of sub appearances in that position, notably in the 2002 WC, and against Albania (H, 2003), Russia (H, 2003) and Cyprus (A, 2005).

It's tragic that he's been limited to so little competitive action.

elroy
12/09/2008, 1:45 PM
Its a big concern how injury prone he is. Even again wed night injury hampered his performance. Id imagine hes doubtful to play for Blackburn this wkd.

IMO he is fast becoming part of our core set of players that we simply cannot do without.

On a further point, i cant remember has he scored a goal for us yet? Considering the shot he has on him, we really should try and get a few goals out of him.

noddy102
12/09/2008, 1:49 PM
Its a big concern how injury prone he is. Even again wed night injury hampered his performance. Id imagine hes doubtful to play for Blackburn this wkd.

IMO he is fast becoming part of our core set of players that we simply cannot do without.

On a further point, i cant remember has he scored a goal for us yet? Considering the shot he has on him, we really should try and get a few goals out of him.

According to wiki, he's scored 2 goals for Ireland. But I cannot remember either of them.

Edit: He scored against Russia, in a home friendly in 2002 (before the WC) and against Nigeria also in a 2002 friendly.

Stuttgart88
12/09/2008, 2:08 PM

On a further point, i cant remember has he scored a goal for us yet? Considering the shot he has on him, we really should try and get a few goals out of him.Didn't he score against Russia, a rasping shot that the keeper fumbled into the net? His debut maybe - same game that Colin Healy impressed in alongside Keane.

I've often felt that if he was told how bloody good he is he'd get better. The stop start nature of his introduction to the Premiership and also international football still leads me to think he feels he has to prove himself. You're right - he's a superb ball striker. I think it was he who played a ln crossfield pass to Keane on Wednesday. Quality.

PS: It's Steven Reid.

Steven, Aiden, Glenn, Darron. Our midfielders' parents are trying to confuse us.

KildareFan
12/09/2008, 2:22 PM
See here (http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/player.php?id=22) for Steven Reids Record

Bungle
12/09/2008, 2:42 PM
Steven is such a good player and he'll get better. Really think a club like Arsenal should take a chance on him in the centre of midfield as I believe he's good enough to play for them and flourish. He's probably not good enough to get into the centre of either Liverpool's or Chelsea's midfield but I'd have him over Carrick and Hargreaves any day.

irishultra
13/09/2008, 12:56 PM
Steven is such a good player and he'll get better. Really think a club like Arsenal should take a chance on him in the centre of midfield as I believe he's good enough to play for them and flourish. He's probably not good enough to get into the centre of either Liverpool's or Chelsea's midfield but I'd have him over Carrick and Hargreaves any day.

Maby not Hargreaves, but I agree he would be good for Arsenal. The problem is he is not really known as a defensive midfielder and they need someone to sit like Flamini did.

They need someone like Colin Healy.:cool:

Closed Account
13/09/2008, 1:52 PM
Andrews and Reid start together in central midfield today. When was the last time we had an all Irish centre midfield partnership in the premiership? Miller/Reid? O'Shea/Miller? Kilbane/Carsley? They're not great options are they...

Supreme feet
13/09/2008, 2:00 PM
His debut and first goal came in a friendly against Nigeria in 2002. I remember since I was given a match ticket for my 14th birthday :D

Whoops! His debut was against Croatia in August 2001 (same debut as O'Shea and Clinton), first goal was against Russia in Feb 2002, if you look at the link above. Sorry to be pedantic! :o

tetsujin1979
13/09/2008, 4:18 PM
Andrews and Reid start together in central midfield today. When was the last time we had an all Irish centre midfield partnership in the premiership? Miller/Reid? O'Shea/Miller? Kilbane/Carsley? They're not great options are they...

Possibly Matt Holland and Andy Reid?

Supreme feet
13/09/2008, 4:34 PM
Possibly Matt Holland and Andy Reid?

You're probably right. I'm sure John O'Shea played alongside Jack Warner's new BFF in midfield for Man U a few years back. I'll throw in a few more speculative ones... Townsend and Farrelly for Villa c. 1996? Barry Quinn and Carsley for Coventry c. 2000?

musicinmouth
23/09/2008, 12:13 PM
Is there any news about Steven Reid's injury and when he is expected to return for Blackburn?

tetsujin1979
23/09/2008, 12:52 PM
Rovers are playing Everton tomorrow in the League Cup, probably be an update on his condition in the build up to that

elroy
23/09/2008, 1:40 PM
Rovers are playing Everton tomorrow in the League Cup, probably be an update on his condition in the build up to that

Steven Reid is the latest player to join Blackburn’s injury list ahead of tomorrow night’s Carling Cup third-round tie with Everton at Ewood Park.

Reid pulled out of Saturday’s 1-0 Premier League victory over Fulham with a knee problem, and will now be out for another fortnight.

Reid joins David Dunn (Achilles), Vince Grella (calf), Benni McCarthy (groin) on the sidelines, while Aaron Mokoena is ill and Keith Andrews is cup-tied.

elroy
23/09/2008, 1:42 PM
Hopefully the fortnight is accurate, would mean he would probably get a game under his belt before the Cyprus game. Unfortunately it doesnt look like Reid is ever going to get a long run of games injury free.

geysir
23/09/2008, 2:47 PM
Is that the same injury he carried into the Ireland Montenegro game?

There was a case for him being substituted on the hour mark in that game.

OwlsFan
24/09/2008, 8:48 AM
It must be so frustrating being so injury prone.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/mhqlididaumh/

geysir
17/10/2008, 10:15 AM
Latest Rte radio sports report, Reid is out for the season.