PDA

View Full Version : Under 20s league

pineapple stu
12/09/2008, 12:37 PM
Starts this weekend. (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/index.php?a=115) Think it's the Freshers or Inters team though.

pineapple stu
29/09/2008, 4:58 PM
Not sure how much interest there'll be in this one over the season, but we beat Longford 4-0 away at the weekend. Away to Pat's on Wednesday.

Poor Student
29/09/2008, 8:00 PM
Random fact, Galway captain John Fitzgerald's younger brother is playing for our U-20 side. Don't know his name though!

Monster-Masch
30/09/2008, 11:08 AM
Decent squad. Not sure how they will do against the bigger sides though.

Poor Student
05/10/2008, 12:21 PM
We beat Athlone 5-0 according to Ash on the U-21 forum.

Poor Student
11/10/2008, 10:53 PM
Aertel says we lost 2-1 to Bray today.:(

pineapple stu
02/11/2008, 7:54 PM
Beat Rovers 2-0 today. Falconer and Bolger. Five wins from six I think.

HarpoJoyce
02/11/2008, 9:04 PM
Beat Rovers 2-0 today. Falconer and Bolger. Five wins from six I think.

That match was yesterday away at Sacred Heart FC in Killinarden.

I just ammended this post.
We had a game with Pats postponed aswell.

pineapple stu
09/12/2008, 4:09 PM
Bump.

Playing Bray on Monday evening. We're both all but qualified for the quarters, so this game is essentially to decide home advantage in the quarters. Bray have the upper hand; we need to win.

pineapple stu
22/12/2008, 10:54 AM
Lost 3-1 to Bray. Standard UCD team really - OK in defence (but undone by some decent nippy Bray forwards), but nothing to offer up front.

Beat Kildare 3-2 to qualify for the quarters though.

pineapple stu
23/12/2008, 9:25 PM
Away to Wexford or, more likely, Cork in the quarters apparently. Cork have a three point lead at the top of their group with two games to go.

HarpoJoyce
27/12/2008, 4:19 PM
Report from KCFC website.

Kildare County 2:3 UCD
http://www.kildarecountyfc.com/news/news-details.asp?NewsID=1115

The report includes some gems as this:
"As it was it took a momentary lapse in concentration on the part of several of the County defenders that allowed the visitors to take the lead after 18 minutes."

Why can't UCD reports be as partizan as the one above.

It was a close game alright. Two hard-working teams.

pineapple stu
28/12/2008, 12:52 PM
Why can't UCD reports be as partizan as the one above.
I can't decide if you're having a poor troll or if you don't know what you're saying.

HarpoJoyce
28/12/2008, 1:45 PM
I can't decide if you're having a poor troll or if you don't know what you're saying.

Expand your brain.
There's plenty more options than those two.

pineapple stu
29/12/2008, 7:22 AM
That's one vote for "stupid troll" so.

colmanthesaint
05/01/2009, 11:55 AM
anyone any idea of the date for the quarter-finals?

pineapple stu
05/01/2009, 12:13 PM
This weekend, apparently (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=108993). We're away to Cork. Beat Rovers 4-0 at the weekend to end the regular league season.

DmanDmythDledge
05/01/2009, 7:05 PM
anyone any idea of the date for the quarter-finals?
Match scheduled for this Sunday, 2pm in Bishopstown.
http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=751

HarpoJoyce
06/01/2009, 9:49 AM
Match scheduled for this Sunday, 2pm in Bishopstown.
http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=751

Thanks for that Dman. I'm making initial plans to head down and back the same day.

Poor Student
06/01/2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that Dman. I'm making initial plans to head down and back the same day.

Text updates are welcomed and encouraged, Harpo.;)

HarpoJoyce
06/01/2009, 2:08 PM
Text updates are welcomed and encouraged, Harpo.;)

Hopefully it will be a low scoring game. Extra-time and penos and I am bankrupt.

pineapple stu
11/01/2009, 5:50 PM
Lost 5-3 after extra time. Tough luck Harpo. ;)

DmanDmythDledge
11/01/2009, 9:42 PM
We were 3-0 up at one stage. Not surprising we lost in in extra time after that.

HarpoJoyce
12/01/2009, 2:52 PM
The match was played in miserable conditions, heavy rain with strong winds.

Cork played with the wind in the first half and alot of the game was played in the UCD half. Ger Barron doing alot of tidying up and judging fthe ball. The Cork 'keepr was put under pressure a few times by his own defenders slicing the ball. UCD had one breakaway chance early on but the Cork 'keeper collected. It was a clean game but John Dineen picked up a yellow for a heavy tackle after the ref had already blown for a previous challenge immediately before.

UCD started to come out late on and Dineen scored from a corner on 40 mins and a second goal from an angled shot on 42 mins. Second half and UCD controlled the game with the help of the wind and rain. We got another goal from direct from a free from 20 metres mid-way through the half.

John Dinnen then went in for a fifty-fifty ball but the ref. awarded a free and sent him off. UCD were still in control after that and were going through the motions but Cork lifted their performance and strated to encamp in the UCD half. Cork's first was a from close range. Ger Barron was the busiest UCD player and was putting the ball out for a corner and then having to punch clear the resultant corner.

Cork kept coming and scored twice quickly with leass then ten minutes left. At this stage UCD couldn't get out of their own half and there was time for Cork to win it but UCD held on.
Cork had the wind in the 1st half of extra time, no goals. Best chance fell to UCD wuth a strike from inside the box but was deflected by the cork defender who knew notheing about it.
1st minute of the 2nd half Cork had an attack and Ger came for a ball, Cork player got there first and had a chance to shoot but delayed, Ger retreated and with UCD coming back in numbers the Cork player sent a poor cross to nobody at the far post. Expect two UCD defenders got in each others way and the ball was lightly headed into the net from under the bar by one of the defenders.
UCD tried to raise their game after that and created a couple of chances but came to nothing. Cork scored with the last kick (nearly) with a nice break-away and chip over the defence to the striker who hit it into the bottom corner.

Dissappointing, but we didn't raise our came to close Cork out when we needed to. Cork scored five against a strong wind, maybe they got the passing right.

I understand that Cork City will play the winners of Bray or Dundalk.

pineapple stu
13/01/2009, 10:16 AM
You don't mention that Cork were reduced to ten men for the foul which gave us the free kick we went 3-0 up from. No idea how we lost that game. All eight goals were scored against the wind, it seems.

HarpoJoyce
14/01/2009, 10:31 PM
You don't mention that Cork were reduced to ten men for the foul which gave us the free kick we went 3-0 up from. No idea how we lost that game. All eight goals were scored against the wind, it seems.

Never saw the Cork player been sent off. Bar the resulting free-kick for UCD all the goals agaist the wind. Entertaining game alright.

Meant to add @ndy is in great form, sends his regards and was delighted to here UCD have two teams in the FAI Cup.